• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

IE Script Error?

K

Kat SP

Anyone know how to stop this from happening or how to turn off this message? It's happening here on Stratics and a few other websites I visit, but not every website. I have no idea what caused this.

PS .. And yes, I know IE is the devil, but I hate change!

G

You might try disabling scripts completely in Internet Explorer security settings (or choose prompt, if you want to bother tracing the offending scripts).

I actually recommend blocking all scripts, and selectively enabling them for sites that have active content you know you want. (Firefox has a handy plug in for this, but if you are more comfortable using IE, you will need to pick "prompt" for scripts and you will get lots of popups that require a response, but you also will be able to see which scripts cause a problem when the browser tries to load them).

You would be surprised how many scripts that have nothing to do with the content on a site you are interested in, are present and try to load when you visit a page. Mostly they have to do with ads & site metric/statistics gathering, although obviously it is possible if a legit site is hijacked (or the site is designed for nefarious purposes to begin with), for them to be malicious in nature. Sometimes those indirect scripts have code that causes conflicts with the browser, and that causes the problems with the page, not the main content.

In IE 6, click Tools --> Internet Options --> Security

Choose the Internet zone, and click Custom to open this list

Not sure about IE 7.

-Skylark

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

<blockquote><hr>

Anyone know how to stop this from happening or how to turn off this message? It's happening here on Stratics and a few other websites I visit, but not every website. I have no idea what caused this.

PS .. And yes, I know IE is the devil, but I hate change!

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm... well line 111 thrown an exception &lt; some unknown error in the line 111
script's syntax&gt;. If you can not change that line 111, then leave it alone and
press YES button or if you do not want to do that, then click on the RED X and
that will close the Window safely. Pressing No, will have some undesirable results,
like closing your Window Explorer!
*stares*
Yahaxithonix

G

That sort of thing usually happens because of bad programming in the advertising gumps. Usually it isn't fatal to the website and goes away in a few days.

G

I know my solution involves change but really give it a try, once you do, you will wish you had done so sooner

FIREFOX with free adblocker plugin and I never see annoying banner ads and I don't know the last site I have seen an error

If you are interested, let me know and I will get you the links you need to set it up.