• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ideas for Faction changes in next Publish

G

I'm surprised no one has yet begun a topic to discuss/submit potential changes for the upcoming publish. As was stated in the UOHOC, the developers will be giving a look at factions. It won't be a complete revamp or have major alterations. But there are plenty of little things out there that could make factions better. Here are the three I originally requested for the upcoming Epic Factions event:
<ul>[*]One Character Rule Removal - Currently you are only allowed one character in factions per shard. This rule is very prohibitive to guilds who want to participate or try out factions. It should be changed to one faction any number of characters.
[*]Turn Off Faction Member Balancer - The balancer prevents guilds from joining on virtually every shard because no one takes part in factions anymore. There is no point in having a balancer that prohibits participation in a dead system.
[*]Turn Off Beneficial Acts in Trammel - Currently faction players can not have beneficially acts such as healing and resurrection performed on them by non-faction players in Trammel facets. This will mostly be a barrier for guilds who frequent Trammel but may want to join in with some of the fighting.[/list]

Here are additional changes I would like to see:
<ul>[*]Shard wide statloss - If one faction character goes into stat loss, every faction character on the same shard (perhaps every shard) will be under the same stat loss for an account. This would eliminate the concern of players switching characters as they go into stat loss.
[*]Faction Tag After Name - Pre-AOS it was easy to see what faction someone belonged to. After AOS all faction identifying information can only be seen in the properties menu. I think that the faction abbreviation should appear just like the guild abbreviation. So it would be something like John Doe [ATL] &lt;SL&gt;.
[*]Remove Point Transfers - I don't see any benefit to this. Back when factions first started people created point storing characters. One guild had over 3,000 points on one character. Having a lot of points should be the indication of a good player and not diluted with point hoarders.
[*]Shadowlord War Horse Color - Change it back to the original dark green. The new lighter color is almost universally disliked and there was never an explanation why the color changed.
[*]Turn Off Friendly Fire - This makes fighting with area effects difficult. Why do guilds and alliances get the benefit of not hitting their fellow members but factions does? If one faction consists of one guild and another consists of multiple guilds, the single guild faction will have the advantage.[/list]

I

imported_Cardell

<blockquote><hr>

I'm surprised no one has yet begun a topic to discuss/submit potential changes for the upcoming publish. As was stated in the UOHOC, the developers will be giving a look at factions. It won't be a complete revamp or have major alterations. But there are plenty of little things out there that could make factions better. Here are the three I originally requested for the upcoming Epic Factions event:
<ul>[*]One Character Rule Removal - Currently you are only allowed one character in factions per shard. This rule is very prohibitive to guilds who want to participate or try out factions. It should be changed to one faction any number of characters.
[*]Turn Off Faction Member Balancer - The balancer prevents guilds from joining on virtually every shard because no one takes part in factions anymore. There is no point in having a balancer that prohibits participation in a dead system.
[*]Turn Off Beneficial Acts in Trammel - Currently faction players can not have beneficially acts such as healing and resurrection performed on them by non-faction players in Trammel facets. This will mostly be a barrier for guilds who frequent Trammel but may want to join in with some of the fighting.[/list]

Here are additional changes I would like to see:
<ul>[*]Shard wide statloss - If one faction character goes into stat loss, every faction character on the same shard (perhaps every shard) will be under the same stat loss for an account. This would eliminate the concern of players switching characters as they go into stat loss.
[*]Faction Tag After Name - Pre-AOS it was easy to see what faction someone belonged to. After AOS all faction identifying information can only be seen in the properties menu. I think that the faction abbreviation should appear just like the guild abbreviation. So it would be something like John Doe [ATL] &lt;SL&gt;.
[*]Remove Point Transfers - I don't see any benefit to this. Back when factions first started people created point storing characters. One guild had over 3,000 points on one character. Having a lot of points should be the indication of a good player and not diluted with point hoarders.
[*]Shadowlord War Horse Color - Change it back to the original dark green. The new lighter color is almost universally disliked and there was never an explanation why the color changed.
[*]Turn Off Friendly Fire - This makes fighting with area effects difficult. Why do guilds and alliances get the benefit of not hitting their fellow members but factions does? If one faction consists of one guild and another consists of multiple guilds, the single guild faction will have the advantage.[/list]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, the one character rule is just as prohibitive to everyone else as it is to people trying to experiment in factions. The point of this is so there has to be several different people, or several different accounts, to be able to do all parts of the faction, fight, steal, craft.. etc.

The balancer is just fine, with out it everyone would be in 1 faction.. the faction with the biggest guild...

Bene acts in tram is also just fine, if they were to change it, it should be faction players should not be allowed in trammel at all.. so they cannot hide from oranges.

Shard wide stat loss is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I would put a character in other factions and let my guild kill them so everyone else was in stat. Stat loss should be shorter or there should be a craftable remedy type potion that shortens or lessons the effects of it. Other than that stat loss is just fine.

I agree with the tag suggestion.

The removing point transfer suggestion would be weak. If you had played factions in the last couple of years you would know there is plenty of uses for it. With bigger battles some people just never get the last hit. Being able to spread the points out allows everyone in the guild to ride faction horses. Yes people will horde points, who cares really.. With point decay they lose more points than everyone else anyway.

The main changes that need to be implemented are:
1. Remedies for stat
2. Fix faction silver transfers
3. Crafting system w/ blessed armor turned back on (craftable armor set)
4. More vendor types (necro regs)
5. Bases. TB and CoM need to be moved out of Brit and Mag, or Minax and SL need to be moved into Yew and Trinny.
6. Base bugs need to be fixed
7. Faction guards shouldnt be able to be stacked
8. Faction traps should be able to be next to each other, or on top of each other
9. GMs on all shards need to be on same page in regards to faction rules
10. Faction vendors should not be able to be placed next to each other to prevent turreting and they should not be able to be placed inside the TB SH faction zone. As of right now they can be placed 2 - 3 tiles inside the zone.
11. TB castle faction zone needs to be extended to make it fair for people raiding it
12. NPCs should not be able to be drug into TB base, including faction guards
13. Remove the gate on TB bridge
14. Fix SL base. There is 101 bugs/exploints in it..
15. Faction point system needs tweaking. Point regen when you are below 0 points, and less decay. As of right now more points are lost in the faction decay than are gained through pvp.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Bene acts in tram is also just fine, if they were to change it, it should be faction players should not be allowed in trammel at all.. so they cannot hide from oranges.

[/ QUOTE ]
If they are in Trammel then they don't want to participate in Factions at the moment. Hiding from oranges? They could do that any multiple of ways. Beneficial act restrictions in Trammel facets for factions is pointless.

<blockquote><hr>

Shard wide stat loss is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I would put a character in other factions and let my guild kill them so everyone else was in stat.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not for everyone on a Shard, it is for a single account only. If you have 2 characters in Factions on the same shard, both will be in stat loss if one goes in. It will prevent people from switching to non-stat loss characters.

<blockquote><hr>

Being able to spread the points out allows everyone in the guild to ride faction horses.

[/ QUOTE ]
Aside from faction horses being something you should earn yourself, I don't recall having an issue getting the points necessary. It was only two points and your faction rank does not reset for every 10 days.
<blockquote><hr>

3)Base bugs need to be fixed

[/ QUOTE ]
If you don't mention what bugs specifically, how is anyone supposed to know?
<blockquote><hr>

8. Faction traps should be able to be next to each other, or on top of each other

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see why you would say unstack the guards but stack the traps. That is pretty contradictory.
<blockquote><hr>

11. TB castle faction zone needs to be extended to make it fair for people raiding it

[/ QUOTE ]
The True Britannian castle is already the largest base by about 2x.
<blockquote><hr>

15. Faction point system needs tweaking. Point regen when you are below 0 points, and less decay. As of right now more points are lost in the faction decay than are gained through pvp.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you have less than 10 points than it decays only 1 every 10 days. The decay is scaled to the total number of points you have.

I

imported_Cardell

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
If they are in Trammel then they don't want to participate in Factions at the moment. Hiding from oranges? They could do that any multiple of ways. Beneficial act restrictions in Trammel facets for factions is pointless.

<blockquote><hr>

Shard wide stat loss is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I would put a character in other factions and let my guild kill them so everyone else was in stat.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not for everyone on a Shard, it is for a single account only. If you have 2 characters in Factions on the same shard, both will be in stat loss if one goes in. It will prevent people from switching to non-stat loss characters.

<blockquote><hr>

Being able to spread the points out allows everyone in the guild to ride faction horses.

[/ QUOTE ]
Aside from faction horses being something you should earn yourself, I don't recall having an issue getting the points necessary. It was only two points and your faction rank does not reset for every 10 days.
<blockquote><hr>

3)Base bugs need to be fixed

[/ QUOTE ]
If you don't mention what bugs specifically, how is anyone supposed to know?
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see why you would say unstack the guards but stack the traps. That is pretty contradictory.
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
The True Britannian castle is already the largest base by about 2x.
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
If you have less than 10 points than it decays only 1 every 10 days. The decay is scaled to the total number of points you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I see what you ment on the shard wide stat loss, I miss understood that.

Faction points are plenty hard to get for some people. Thieves, crafters, etc.

I wont list the bugs that I know because I dont want anyone else to know and use them. If the Devs cared about fixing the factions they would have a better way to post bugs directly to them. The in game option to report bugs is a joke. They probably dont even check them. With that being said, these bugs and exploits have been in these bases for 7 years now... if they havent fixed them by now they just dont want to or dont know how to. Neither would surprise me.

When i said extend brit base faction area i ment in front of the bridge. Yes the base is huge.. But the bridge is ridiculous with the gate and on top of that the raiding sides are in town. They cannot cast AOE, fields or summon spells.

I'm well aware of the point system and how it works, it needs tweaking for people below 0. After a while the people who have a lot of points can kill 10 - 15 people a day and only get maybe 1 or 2 points. Regenerating points below 0 would also allow people who get killed a lot to actually get points rather than just hover at -3 to 0. More points in the system would only encourage more pvp.

When I posted Faction guards shouldn't be able to be stacked, I also ment faction traps should NOT be able to be stacked. It was a typo.

S

Sergul'zan_SP

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe...with your condition below.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if they were not broken, people might play them. The problem isn't the load balancing, the problem is the thousands of people in factions that don't play them or at all. They need to flush the faction stones and (I'll agree) adjust the load balancing.

Removing it would put us where we are now (or where atlantic was for a long time) - one giant ZERG guild and nobody else having a quarter their numbers.

They should also automatically boot anybody who hasn't logged on in 30 days without the 7 day waiting period. Keep the load balancing accurate.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Trammel???? What's that???? I'll agree on this one...

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

If multiple chars per shard are allowed, this *MUST* happen.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

GIVE US OUR PRE-AOS FACTION TITLES BACK!!!!!!!!! They were teh sexeh.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. People just store them on merchants and tamers.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, you're on top of it.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

This one I could live with...

Nice post JC - you forgot one though:

FIX THE BUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

All enemy factioneers should appear as orange. Faction orange should supersede red.

G

Oh, another idea I had forgotten about. But this is probably a little too much for a couple small changes.
<ul> [*]Faction Chat - Works exactly like Guild/Alliance chat. For moderation control the Faction Commander, Finance Ministers, and Sheriffs can turn off individual usage of the chat by either a context menu on the player or speaking -chattoggle [player name]. Of course you can always turn off all chat via the options menu. This moderation system is fair in my opinion because you can vote out a bad commander.[/list]
But there would be an issue with people using Incognito or Disguise Kits. Their true name would have to be displayed and not their temporary fake one.

C

Clx-

I actually find myself in agreement with JC for perhaps the first time ever.

There's tons of other stuff, but he's covered most of the main ones.

It should be 2 chars per account allowed in rather than unlimited though.

R

Rex Mundi

Theese are just my opinions on a few of the things you listed. I agree with mostly all of the stuff you said though.
1. Limit it to 2 or 3 characters on an account. (if the shard wide stat loss is put in) otherwise keep it 1. 2 or 3 should be plenty of characters to enjoy most aspects of faction gameplay.

2. Make the balancer a larger number. Removing it completely would be a bad idea. It would get boring quick if everybody joined the same faction.

Just a suggestion for the event.
I would like to see the sigil timer increased a little bit. Maybe 14 or 16 hours for corruption. People tend to disappear when the towns are not in play.

I agree big time with Kelmo on the orange vs red thing. Enemy faction members should always appear orange.

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the faction balance system might not seem like a big thing to most of you nublets, but there are shards and have been plenty of times when this has been the saving grace for many of shards.

in recent memory, ATL 2 years ago, UZI and the UZI alliance where 4 times the size of ALL the other factions COMBINED.

how fun is that.

you have to remember the player base your pulling from.
90% of people would rather join the winning side, hoist the banner and run through the streets yelling how L33Tsauce they are rather then joining the smallest faction and fighting the evil and taking it from them.

its the nature of the beasts.
to igore that 'nature' would be a bad thing.

and i personally give a nod to the Dev that thought of the Balancer issuse and put it in.

S

Sergul'zan_SP

The problem with faction load balancing needs to kick in when one faction has 25 people in it. Shards are simply not large enough to support the older load balancing system.

It also needs to not take into consideration anybody who hasn't logged in for 30 days. It's not the active members of factions breaking it, it's the people who played 5 years ago but keep refreshing their accounts every 3 months that are breaking it.

btw...calling people nublets just makes you look stupid. We're here to get the game fixed, not participate in your foolish name calling. Is recess over yet?

Also JC - you might try and set some generally accepted rules. No guard turretting. No placing opponent factions traps, etc...

If you really want factions to work, then we need people to abandon lame tactics like this.

C

Clx-

This event is going to spotlight everything that's still wrong with UO PvP.

It's going to be wither tamer essense of wind speedhack archer wars. And that's a good thing. If seeing all this right under their noses doesn't prompt the dev team to give PvP/Felucca/Factions some more time, nothing will.

I

imported_Cardell

<blockquote><hr>

It's going to be wither tamer essense of wind speedhack archer wars. And that's a good thing. If seeing all this right under their noses doesn't prompt the dev team to give PvP/Felucca/Factions some more time, nothing will.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how many times I will have to say this, but the Devs do not care, they didn't 6 years ago, and they dont now. They wont in 2 weeks when the event starts and they wont in 3 weeks after all the guilds have left and are tired of stat loss. Speed hacking comes with MMOing, sorry to break it to you but most speed hacks are in actuality not hacks, and just cpu mods. As for templates.. there will always be a counter to a profession.. Tamers are no biggie,, there are plenty of defenses and counter attack to them. No one can say Necro is over powered, they cast slower than any other casting skill and they cost more than any mage spells. BTW,, Wither is the worst spell Necros have, I would worry about the other 15 that are actually beneficial.

The devs do not care. They are shelfing UO 2D, and faction pvp with it. Sorry.

G

While there is yet to be a consistent record, I think the new development team in place now may turn out to be one of the best in a while. They promptly fixed the extremely damaging Immortality Bug which affected PVP greatly in an out of cycle publish the other day.

If you have very big concerns about Wither or other aspects of PVP you should send in feedback about it: http://www.uoherald.com/feedback/index.php

C

Clx-

<blockquote><hr>

Wither is the worst spell Necros have

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're playing a different game to the rest of us.

I

imported_Cardell

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Wither is the worst spell Necros have

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're playing a different game to the rest of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was exaggerating a bit, but it certainly isn't the best.. it takes up too much mana especially for how little damage it does in pvp. 99% of the shard has 65% cold. Its has a long delay afterwards, people are fast enough to see you casting and move out of range. It is worth it only when you can hit 3+ people. Raiding and defending it is decent but standing next to people these days is suicide, especially with all the over powered bows (archer in general), and now all the godly weapons being made from last patch.

Yes for spawning its good, but I'm talking just faction fighting.

Strangle, omen, oath, pain spike, poison strike, corpse skin,, are all much more important. That is why, most people who try to be a necro suck. They run around trying to stand next to people and wither. lol.. but yeah,, wither isn't all it's cracked up to be. Thats just a fact.

I think the most useless spell is mind rot..

S

Sergul'zan_SP

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right, and if it does I'm going to logout and go do something more fun.

They really need to fix fielding at the CoM base...I hope that's in this upcoming publish...

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

btw...calling people nublets just makes you look stupid. We're here to get the game fixed, not participate in your foolish name calling. Is recess over yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

nublet = new
trammy = tram person

no disrespect was meant from it, it was simply a term used to say that 90% of the people who are gonna be in the event are gonna be new, and i would say that them talking about load balancing will not generate acurate info, as much as a person who has been playing factions for years and has had to deal with and work with the load balancing function.

<blockquote><hr>

makes you look stupid. We're here to get the game fixed, not participate in your foolish name calling. Is recess over yet?

[/ QUOTE ]
now THAT kinda commnet makes YOU look stupid and childish.
either that, or you need a Midol.

G

*Replies to last*
Hey, folks. Here on the forums we are on the same side. We all want to see the faction system get some love. Talk, debate, disagree all good. Let's not get snippy with each other here. Save that for the game. *nods*