• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I tried playing non-faction and it is less fun

Hattori Hanzo

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play on Siege Perilous and for the last 6 years or so, have done so with my character in factions. I have been involved in large sigil battles, farmed lots of silver, ran a thief gaining points through sigil control... pretty much the whole variety of faction fun.

I miss the larger presence and major battles and complex strategies of sigil control we had in the past. Yet, there are still things I love about being orange. Most among these are the constant threat of attack. Nowhere else in the game can two players throw down, regardless of who initiates the combat, in virtually an location. Chatting people up in a bank, shopping from a guard zone... dangerous stuff. Fun stuff too. If for nothing else, faction play should be kept in UO so we can consent to the possibility of instant mayhem anywhere.

Lastly, before doing away with factions, go back and analyse when there was the most activity in faction play. Snapshot that moment and revert to the rule-set used at that time. I suspect it was before faction arties and maybe even during the invasions. Either way, that is the key to factions revival.

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play on Siege Perilous and for the last 6 years or so, have done so with my character in factions. I have been involved in large sigil battles, farmed lots of silver, ran a thief gaining points through sigil control... pretty much the whole variety of faction fun.

I miss the larger presence and major battles and complex strategies of sigil control we had in the past. Yet, there are still things I love about being orange. Most among these are the constant threat of attack. Nowhere else in the game can two players throw down, regardless of who initiates the combat, in virtually an location. Chatting people up in a bank, shopping from a guard zone... dangerous stuff. Fun stuff too. If for nothing else, faction play should be kept in UO so we can consent to the possibility of instant mayhem anywhere.

Lastly, before doing away with factions, go back and analyse when there was the most activity in faction play. Snapshot that moment and revert to the rule-set used at that time. I suspect it was before faction arties and maybe even during the invasions. Either way, that is the key to factions revival.
I agree with you hat i recently tried playing non faction and i didnt have as much fun. i like to fight for the sigils, i like to get silver, i like to maintain faction points(and show them off) they need to if anything just tweak the system not do away with it.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also play Siege Perilous and factions. In particular, playing a faction thief is my favorite part of the game. Most of my time on Siege has been spent risking it all... being attackable anywhere, anytime I am in game simply to play a faction thief. I don't PvP. I couldn't PvP my way out of a wet paper bag, but until recently, I ran around orange, wearing expensive, uninsured equipment just for the thrill of playing cat and mouse with our opponents over sigils. I never cared that there was no huge benefit. I played factions for the fun of it. I have recently been trying to play without factions and am finding it difficult to come up with anything else that can hold my interest the way factions did.

Though many may disagree with me, I feel like faction arties ruined factions on Siege Perilous.

As broken as it is, I would rather have a broken faction system, than no factions at all.

Its not my business what you do with factions on other shards - I will let those folks speak for themselves- but I urge the dev team to allow factions to remain on Siege.

Hattori Hanzo

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I couldn't PvP my way out of a wet paper bag,
This is simply not true. Her PVP skills are far greater than she proclaims. I once saw that thieving Kat fall out of a wet paper bag when the bottom broke. She then vanished into a plume of stinky egg bomb residue. Her attacker was left gagging and quite perturbed at the whole ordeal.

Reactions: Kat

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Though many may disagree with me, I feel like faction arties ruined factions on Siege Perilous.
I agree with this completely. Other shards I do not suppose it really mattered as if ya had the gold, ya had the suit all insured and permanent. This was not the case on Siege when these artifacts showed up. The were easy to replace and gave faction pkers and PvPs huge advantages over non faction players. On a faction note, introducing the faction artifacts changed the dynamics of the entire system. Before it centered around sigils and control of cities. Artifacts soon became the primary driving force of factions. The sigils and bases were pretty much forgotten. Just a few old school faction thieves moving sigils around for nostalgia, there was very seldom any defense.

Hattori Hanzo

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with this completely. Other shards I do not suppose it really mattered as if ya had the gold, ya had the suit all insured and permanent. This was not the case on Siege when these artifacts showed up. The were easy to replace and gave faction pkers and PvPs huge advantages over non faction players. On a faction note, introducing the faction artifacts changed the dynamics of the entire system. Before it centered around sigils and control of cities. Artifacts soon became the primary driving force of factions. The sigils and bases were pretty much forgotten. Just a few old school faction thieves moving sigils around for nostalgia, there was very seldom any defense.
I would like to see the faction arties turned off now. Any already existing timed out.

Then, have a new faction invasion with simple point caps to prevent the lunacy of the last one. I think factions would see a resurgence.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with this completely. Other shards I do not suppose it really mattered as if ya had the gold, ya had the suit all insured and permanent.
It matters on all the shards. A lot of people will have to redo entire suits/templates without the faction crystalline ring.

People completely disagree with why you think faction arties ruined factions. At least the why you imply when you describe your feelings.

Even before factions people ran top tier gear. Cursed, faction dyed, same thing and no body had an issue with it. If you can't see that was the case on Siege, this is the point where we agree to disagree.

Siege has long suffered unequal risks and rewards. Manifested in tears over personal bless deeds, lost suits, a higher minimum wage (arms lore), etc. Prodo has suffered from painting pks into the proverbial corner and wondering why they're not having fun.

Siege needs a loot overhaul

The remaining shards need a virtue system/facet participation overhaul.

It's time this game made sense. Item insurance (prodo) and no item insurance (Siege/Mugen).

my 2 cents