• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I think there is something missing...

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel like something has been missing on Origin, and has been for a while. And that's Roleplay. I know many of us try over and over to roleplay, or are often in character, but there is no "roleplay community" on the server. At least not a visible on And the ones that had a little community have, for the most part left the shard for greener pastures because they were harassed for Roleplaying.

This is something I want to change.

I grew up in the days when there was no trammel and we still roleplayed. So please, no flaming from PVPers who are gonna call us Trammies. We were around the same time as you guys. Some of us were even red and roleplayed.

That being said, who all on Origin is interested in roleplay, even if they have never done it before in game? Who has ideas that just don't know how to get it off the ground? Who wants to try to do something and create our own shard history, as many other shards have done in the past (Lakes Superior, Great Lakes, Europa to name a few)?

On the CMA forums is an area called The Round Table ( http://www.bregan.org/cmaforum/ ) where we have an area to discuss roleplay and to try to bring it to light and encourage it in the community. They will also contain event information (as will here) and other various goodies from time to time.

But if interested, please, head over there, or reply here or contact me so we can get something going.

Thanks!

Cassie

S

Shalafi Vaern

Count me in, and I know there will be at least a few others that jump on this as well.

Thanks for getting us started Cassie!

-Shalafi Vaern

L

LarisaBTH

I'm already knee deep in with Dolph.....player run towns are the shizznit! I'm all for it! Come on you Origin Trammies...we can do this!

L

legs

Yes, we began to work this a few weeks ago, actually.........

really need some good rp.........

maybe a meeting to get together and exchange ideas??

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But if you don't tell people about it, no one knows, no one sees it. And that's where the problem is, sadly. Thus why I publically put what I'm trying to see. Hehe

G

*pushes a thumb tack into this thread*

Feel free to give your OP an Eye-Catching Subject. *smiles*

L

LarisaBTH

We are building the town first...no sense saying "Hey, lets make a player run town" then go...

"Oh, sounds neat...where?"
"Um...not sure, what do you think?"
"No idea, thought you had this planned out already"
"well no not really, it was just an idea I had and I decided to throw it out there"

Plan first.....then you have something to actually SHOW people..."Hey look at this cool town we made"

G

I'm working on a ranger that I plan to stay in character with. So yeah, I'm in..

As far as a player town, Icelyn started as a couple of houses a week after Origin was born and has been there since (for a few months as a ghost town).
Anyone is welcome to use any establishments there. If you don't know where it is, ask and I will show you.

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

We are building the town first...no sense saying "Hey, lets make a player run town" then go...

Plan first.....then you have something to actually SHOW people..."Hey look at this cool town we made"

[/ QUOTE ]

What happens to the people who would like to be a part of building said town, but can't be a part of it because they don't know its happening?

Not picking on you, but community means involving everyone, not just those that have an idea. A player run town is nothing without players. A few people may have multiple accounts, place houses, etc....but in the end, its one player (or two or three) with 3 houses each in a "Player run town"

Am I making sense on that one?

We've had two or three player run towns already fizzle and go POOF because of lack of community interest. And lack of information out there. Elen'mar comes to mind...the other town Eska made in Malas is another....

D

Dolphoenix

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

What happens to the people who would like to be a part of building said town, but can't be a part of it because they don't know its happening?

Not picking on you, but community means involving everyone, not just those that have an idea. A player run town is nothing without players. A few people may have multiple accounts, place houses, etc....but in the end, its one player (or two or three) with 3 houses each in a "Player run town"

Am I making sense on that one?

We've had two or three player run towns already fizzle and go POOF because of lack of community interest. And lack of information out there. Elen'mar comes to mind...the other town Eska made in Malas is another....

[/ QUOTE ]

I recall having this same discussion with you one morning, Cassie. You know normally I'd probably say make announcements get people interested together and see what happens...

However - One simple fact right now is most everyone (especially on Origin) seems focused on owning a castle, owning a keep, or at least 18x18. It would be difficult at best to find anyone willing to go any smaller. Not to mention finding people willing to make the sacrifice required to create specific structures that a town needs. On a more populated shard this wouldn't be such an issue.

The age of items has taken it's toll. People in general don't seem to be willing to make certain sacrifices necessary for the betterment of the community as a whole. Such as donating time, gold, characters, etc. An effort has to be put forward. Some people, however, are willing to do what is necessary.

The core group we have is working on a basic set of structures - Townhall, Tavern, Library, Mage Tower, Smith's/Tailor. We have given up homes we love, perhaps a Keep, or even a castle. Donated time, and even real money.
Just to this collection of buildings together, and hopefully build a town that will last.
Once those structures are complete we'll have a 'basic' town. At that point, yes we'll be advertising, trying to lure people in, and doing our darnedest to get some events going. We're not talking about it. We're doing it. We want it to work. And when the time is right, then definately we'll do our best to get the community involved. In an attempt to insure success we're making sure the core group is commited, and won't just pull out, or not put forth the effort needed.

And so it's known... I sent an invitation to good ol' Elminster this morning (hope you get it) And Shalafi will be our emissary to negotiate with another hard working individual on Origin...

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's not necessarily true. Yes, while many people are interested in 18x18s, there are those who, for the sake of a town, would take smaller.

Hell&lt; I would have gladly moved the auction house if there was a spot for it there, just wasnt given that option to do it, no matter how much I like the beach, supporting a town is more important, IMHO.

But when we last talked, you expressed that it wouldnt be possible to do it as you dreamed because it would be just a few core people and you wanted it to be more than just a few people. Now it sounds like its just that. A few core, pardon the phrase "Elite" people picked that were "Trusted" to make the town....

Just my thoughts. Remember, I play devil's advocate all the time. And seeing something like "Core players" and "not making announcements because" reminds me of elitism and trying to not allow certain people to play no matter their interest

L

legs

ok....... cool it........

we are not elitists........ period. the idea of a core group is to have a few people who are dedicated to making this happen...... as you said, many small towns have disappeared for one reason or another, this is not a guild town... simply a town for rpers...... and if people don't want to place there, the facilities will be available to anyone who wishes to use them.......

we are doing our thing and welcome contact from people that are intersted.

you may play the devil's advocate all you wish of course, this is an open forum.
I hate to see this sort of negative feedback........

do not call us names......... that isn't what this is about, it is supposed to be about getting a decent rp community going, not causing further division. It is difficult enough given the current atmosphere in UO to get to know people. The old days of meeting at pubs and the blacksmith shop are gone..... we can be self-sustaining now. so let's cut the negative talk and just move ahead.

D

Dolphoenix

Cassie without getting into it alot here, you're the hard working person that Shalafi is supposed to talk to tonight.

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dont take it personal. It's not.

I'm saying what it "looks like" Not what it is. If that hurts, I'm sorry.

But if you welcome contact from people who are "interested" how are they supposed to be "Interested" if they don't know.

Catch 22 right?

There's no negative talk, its my way of pointing out that while its great that you're doing this, you might also hurt people's feelings and make soem feel left out, abandoned, what not, by not being open with everything and trying to encourage a larger sense of community.

And I'm fairly certian you dont want to do that right?

D

Dolphoenix

Because as you've pointed out, towns go 'poof' all the time.

It's not about people's feelings, it's about commitment and effort. Right now it's more important to make sure that the 'roots' are strong so that the town will blossom and last even if some branches get broken off. If someone is more worried about their feelings getting hurt than what's best for the town, then are they truly the ones to build a community, or are they the ones that would eventually be it's undoing?

When I talked to you originally about starting something like this up, you know I was of the opinion of get people together to discuss ideas and go from there. I'm no longer certain that would work on Origin. The population is just too small to have good odds. there's plenty of things that would be nice to have - a healer's hut, an arena, fishing house/docks, a cafe, citizen's homes.. etc..
We're not building a whole complete town. Just a core of important buildings.. 'roots' as it were, to get the ball rolling