• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I think I might go crazy.

U

UltimaSword

You know I really want to start playing again. That is if my computer would let me get UO to run. So if anyone has any idea of what is wrong please let me know. If not let this thread die. Here is the problem.

After the patch screen comes up and I press okay the "Ultima Online is Loading" rectangle window pops up. Then the main screen for UO pops up and right after it does I get a window saying this:

"Ultima Online Client has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I have tried downloading with cds: Samurai Empire, 8th Age, and 9th Anniversery edition. I also tried downloading two different UO files off uo.com. Always the same error message pops up.

I tried while running a fire wall and I also tried turning it off and I know my virus protection isn't blocking the client.

Any ideas?

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you run UO with Vista? You may need to right click it and run as administrator.

U

UltimaSword

I've got windows XP 64. Not vista.

I tried and it still didn't work.

U

UltimaSword

That might well be it as I haven't installed them. My computer is custom built. My cousin who helped is on vacation where can I get a sound driver off the internet?

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As soon as you install the sound drivers you will be ok. Any idea what kind of sound device you have?

U

UltimaSword

I'm pretty sure my cousin said I do not have a sound card but I still will be able to use sound it just would suck at high levels. It is an asus mother board and a GeForce 8800 GT graphics card.... If that helps lol

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless the board has onboard sound there is prolly little you can actually do. Is there a place to plug speakers into in the back of the PC? Can you find the MBoard model number?

U

UltimaSword

There is a place to plug in speakers. I have them in now they just don't work lol. Lemme find the MBoard box.

U

UltimaSword

Okay got the box. The model number for the mother board is:

A8N-SLI Deluxe- UAY

I think thats it unles I'm reading the wrong thing on the box.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then you are in luck. Silly that you can't run the game without sound but I found this little tidbit of info out a couple weeks ago when I wanted to setup a junk PC to spar with and train healing. Reinstalled UO twice before I figured out it would load without sound installed.

U

UltimaSword

LoL ya happened with diablo II before I installed the expansion. I guess some games are like that. Now I just need to find the driver.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's working again lol. Try to search for the driver on that page I posted above but leave off the UAY part.

U

UltimaSword

Call me an idiot but I am at a loss for how to find that driver on that site lol. I searched and never got the right V5 number on the audio drivers.

U

UltimaSword

Sounds good thanks a lot.

Problem solved thanks time to let this thread die.

T

T_Amon_from_work

You should have a CD from Asus that when inserted will autorun and give a menu for various driver installations. While the drivers on that CD may not be the most up to date, they are a start! See if you have that.

I have an older Asus board - A7N266-VM/AA for Athlon XP chips. The CD had all the basics to get going - networking and all.