• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I don't know why I ever came back

Stranger

Lord of the Dance
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a post over at the official UO forums. It's about egg scripters. And it was locked almost immediately.

Seriously?

THIS IS PROOF THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT SCRIPTERS. OR US. OR THIS GAME.
I don't want to play anymore.
Goodbye.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
They care, they know about the scripting...they just don't TALK about it or advertise when they are looking into it/fixing it. They don't need a million threads about the same thing.

I think the opening up of Destard in Fel on ATL this weekend might have some ulterior motives.....scriptors beware.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is a post over at the official UO forums. It's about egg scripters. And it was locked almost immediately.

Seriously?

Goodbye.
You've also crying to a forum full of script users. You need to stop and ask yourself why you're letting the actions of some affect your desire to play this or any game. Once you get over the "but I can't get (insert item of the day) because other people are getting them, maybe then you'll start enjoying this or some other game, until then you're only going to continue to make posts/comments like this that unfortunately, no one cares about but you.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
An ex GM, EM and PEC had this to say about scripting in a reddit AMA yesterday. Seems pretty accurate.

In short: Ultima Online is old and Broadsword doesn't want to upset its playerbase.

Cheating was not considered (much) when the game was originally made and there have been no serious attempts to curb cheating since. The client is literally wide open to probing and manipulation.

It's so easy, I did it myself. With minimal programming experience. I didn't make cheats though ;) I made some tools to use with the EM Program.

It would require a new client. Which they tried, a few times even. But the playerbase rejected those new clients. Now there's no money for a new client and they've had to give up.

As a result, I was not allowed to action scripters.

I was perfectly equipped to recognise scripters. As I've written a fair few myself in my playing-days. Complex scripts too like complete a BOD filling bot and an in-game lottery.

We never actioned automated play, only unattended play.

Whenever a player was reported for scripting or even multiboxing: I would visit and try to speak with them. Protocol was to give the player ample time to respond. Then I'd move them to jail and try speak with them again. On the whole a player was given several minutes to respond. If they did, they were off the hook.

When I concluded a player was unattended; I would action their account. First offence was a warning, then a 24h suspension, then 48h, 72h and finally termination. Violations expire after 1 year. I don't recall ever requesting a termination.

These policies were without a doubt the biggest thorn in my eye. Total Weak-Sause! But what can you do? Economics win.

So the question becomes, "if nobody is enforcing a rule, is it really a rule?" Personally, I would say no. So if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
An ex GM, EM and PEC had this to say about scripting in a reddit AMA yesterday. Seems pretty accurate.

So the question becomes, "if nobody is enforcing a rule, is it really a rule?" Personally, I would say no. So if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
I been trying tell the posters that these bots are attended and that's all that matters.

Most of you look like a robot compared to my sloth like speed and abilities. So how do they know what is a person and what is a script if the player is standing in a spot casting and talking to a GM.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Could just be trolling too. If you don't leave the server the eggs don't respawn. Someone could just be standing there hidden already holding the egg and just not putting it in a bag.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I been trying tell the posters that these bots are attended and that's all that matters.
So the dozen ghosts that are standing in the same spot in the pile for hours on end are all attended? Once again you prove that if you can't wrap your mind around it then it must not be true. Before the thread was locked I posted just 1 of many examples I've seen where there are several ghosts just hanging out in the same spot in the pile for hours on end. I've also seen people (and myself) cast noble sacrifice on screen and yet they all just stay dead. If they are actually "attended" then why aren't they rezzing and either grabbing their stuff or resetting their "macro"?

It's more likely just a case of the GMs/Devs know the people scripting but don't feel the need to take action.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They would lose most of their revenue if they banned all the scripter accounts.
If that is the case, then it's fair to ask if UO deserves to continue. Just sayin'. What IS fair, is for people to expect for everyone tohave play under the SAME rules. If they are going to allow it, then they need to SAY so. If their "stance" is that it is against the rules, then they need to take action against the rule breakers.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If that is the case, then it's fair to ask if UO deserves to continue. Just sayin'. What IS fair, is for people to expect for everyone tohave play under the SAME rules. If they are going to allow it, then they need to SAY so. If their "stance" is that it is against the rules, then they need to take action against the rule breakers.
Wishful thinking :)

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is not to start a client war but there was a ton I didn't know you could do in EC which essentially allows you to write a complex macro that you can tweak into a script; so IMO by them doing that for EC it was just opening the door for people to script the game.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So the dozen ghosts that are standing in the same spot in the pile for hours on end are all attended? Once again you prove that if you can't wrap your mind around it then it must not be true. Before the thread was locked I posted just 1 of many examples I've seen where there are several ghosts just hanging out in the same spot in the pile for hours on end. I've also seen people (and myself) cast noble sacrifice on screen and yet they all just stay dead. If they are actually "attended" then why aren't they rezzing and either grabbing their stuff or resetting their "macro"?

It's more likely just a case of the GMs/Devs know the people scripting but don't feel the need to take action.
You just posted about everyone is complaining in Chat. So, those bots and EJ accounts are now in Gen chat complaining? Lets see if you can stick with 1 story.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well... You keep paying for your accounts as do many others so the question of whether it deserves to continue is answered. Even if everyone quits and it's only robots playing, as long as they pay for accounts, EA/BS will be happy. As far as changing the rules and updating the ToS, that is likely out of Broadsword's control and it would be up to EA's legal department. BS isn't going to say anything to contradict EA legal, and they're definitely not going to bother them. I would say that the word of an ex GM on their internal policy regarding scripting is as good as you're going to get.

Seriously?

Goodbye.
I know the aggravation, I have seen it too many times. Talking eggs here.....The powers that be won't stop it, they never have in my 2 decades of playing. Want self-gratification, now and then place a book titled Curiously Adorned Egg behind a building, and they'll grab it. You won't be there to see the screw up upon turn in, but, if it makes you feel better to mess with them, then have at it. I've come to the conclusion it'll never change. Either that, then learn to script......I don't have time for that.

Stranger

Lord of the Dance
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Archangel0
I don't know who Mama Fratelli is but it wouldn't surprise me if someone over at EA/Broadsword or one of their friends is profiting off all these scripters and unofficial item selling stores. It's a no brainer. Design an event in such a way that it is easily scriptable, know exactly what to expect before it launches having all your accounts/characters ready to go, "accidently" turn on an insane drop rate, get rich fast in the first few days/week of the event, walk away with a huge payday, and continue to milk that baby for two months. Ban any competition accounts but let your friends accounts thrive. Pretend like you care. Great hobby. Probably make an extra few hundred or thousand dollars a week. Plus you feed the game with all the accounts so it doesn't get shut down. Job security. It's a genius scheme. I hope someday they write a book. It's the only thing that makes sense because no company could be this incompetent at running a game.

Larisa
I don't think they care. They don't take enough action to show that they do. They don't seem to listen to players. Don't seem to feel embarrassed or ashamed about this event. And they don't make the right decisions.
It's not that hard to turn off EJ account participation so only players who pay are eligible for drops. Sure, feel free to come try it out, and if you think its fun and want drops, then subscribe and boost the subscription numbers. But newly created accounts should have some sort of supervision and anti-cheat detector on them so they can get banned quickly if they are cheating. Make sure you ban them fast. Don't sit on it for days or weeks before you ban them. And then make sure they can't create another account. Like only let 1 person create 1 account every 3 months. I still don't understand how banned people are able to create an infinite amount of accounts. It shouldn't be linked to an email. It should be linked to a bank account or home address or name. Don't let fake people create fake accounts. Fix that. Figure out how to stop the same offender from being a multiple offender. New accounts also shouldn't be able to trade or drop event items at someones house or on the floor or claim trade in rewards for like 1 week (or 1 month?). Give the items a timer "This item is Account Bound and unlocks in 167:58:00." to give you enough time to identify and ban the cheaters.
Or why not just flat out say "Sorry, but your account must be a 3, 6, 9, or 12 month old paid account to participate in this event." and do that for every event. So that once you ban them they can't just create another account on a different credit card/illegal code and get back into the illegal farming. Unless they want to drop like $60.00. Which is profit for your company. And then ban them for cheating again. No refunds.
Or why not just make better overall design decisions in general?
Such as 1 drop per character per day. Boom the lag problem on Atlantic has just been solved.
1 ingot per day for eggs. Boom no reason for scripters to script anymore.
Like seriously, it's not hard.
I like how you say they are looking into it/fixing it...when it's been going on for years...maybe even decades...how long does it take to look into it? Hire a better investigator.
Do you really think they are going to ban the trammel scripters when the event is turned off? And do you really think they won't be back on Monday?

GarthGrey
All the scripter users are here? You mean the unattended ones? Hi guys. Thanks for ruining the game.
Because they are making me waste more time then I have to by letting their script run 24/7 and stealing eggs while not even being at their computer. I only have an hour or two to play and when they're hogging over half the eggs it makes me have to waste more time overall doing the same stupid repetitive task that the devs designed so poorly. It takes me 2-3 times as long to get the eggs I was getting before the scripters showed up. My 100 hours I have put in the last 7 weeks is nothing compared to the 4-5 days they let their script run. That's just unfair. I am going to get 1 book in 3 weeks, while they get 4 books a day? So they get 21 books compared to my 1? And aren't even there enduring all the pain of clicking constantly. BS.
I am also angry at the devs for making such a time consuming event and making it script-to-win.
I have plenty of eggs and points its just boring. If I am going to endure the boredom of doing it its not fair for others to get it while they are at work or sleeping.
Even if I get every item I want and quit the event is still going to go for another month and a half where they'll earn 100x or 500x whatever I earned devaluing my items. Why did I even play or earn them when I could of just waited til the end of the event and bought the items for cheap?
Basically it makes no sense to play the game. I could of took those 100 hours and earned a lot more working and just bought platinum. So why am I wasting my time?
Easiest fix would just to account bound all the items. Then its fair. You want the item? You earn it. Done. No reason to get extra or hog spawn or do anything because it only benefits you.
Yeah thats the problem, nobody cares. The devs don't care, the players don't care, this game is a cesspool.

I will say this though, if the game was free-to-play and not a subscription game I wouldn't care if anyone scripted unattended.

Stinky Pete
Thank you for sharing this. Proves exactly what I said. They don't care.
Page all you want, they'll just come back.
You all can enjoy swimming around in your cesspool together. I don't want to be a part of it.

Lore
Haha.

Pawain
Everyone knows they are unattended.

Lore
No the egg spawns are legit broken. Isn't anyone holding them. At least I haven't experienced that. The devs are just too lazy to fix the spawns.

Keven2002
THE. DEVS. DO. NOT. CARE.
The devs spend 8 hours a day setting up unattended macroing accounts in the Broadsword offices. Then they go home. They're the ghosts.
J/K???
We're the ghosts??? Cause we're invisible to them!
Yes exactly the GMs/Devs know who the people scripting are and thus allow it! I agree! Would be awkward come holiday time if they had to explain to their brother why they banned all of his UO accounts!

MoonCres
Thanks for replying. Get some rest. Goodbye.

Cork
I agree. Something shady is going on that is keeping them afloat.

Keith of Sonoma
UO shouldn't continue in it's current state.
Just make the game free-to-play and let all hell break loose. Rules don't apply to free-to-play and pay-to-win games. UO is one of the only games left that requires a subscription and our subscription fees obviously aren't going to policing or to our protection or anything. What, exactly, are we paying for? Cause 2 and a half month long horrible event content that everyone complains about sure doesn't seem subscription worthy to me.

Cork
Like justice in the real world I suppose.

Keven2002
Yeah but why does anyone need programming knowledge to play a game? A lot of the stuff you can do with EC is so hidden and impossible to discover for the average player. So yeah not fair. To give out the tools but hide all the possibilities. Guess they shot themselves in the foot. Which would explain why they won't get off their butts and fix the game.

Drama drama drama

Enjoy your broken game ya'll.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Pawain - This is ATL right now in Destard and the spawn has been turned off for about 10min... yet people are still casting (and archers/throwers still shooting). None of the monsters are wrath of fey. But yea I'm sure they are attended. :hahaha:

View attachment 130292
View attachment 130293
this would be rather funny if not so sad to see. i wonder how long they sat there casting and no gms around. it just shows how bad the cheating has become and where nothing is done. a lot of posts get closed over on the other forum so i dont post over there.

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Back when this forum was the official forum. You couldn’t so much as mention fel without receiving a warning. The censorship here used to be nothing short of criminal.
Ever since this forum lost its official status this forum acts like the liberal one. Just goes to show you can’t trust anyone with the smallest bit of power, glad they removed the official status of this forum and hopefully it never regains any more power to abuse.
The way this forum was managed done irreparable damage to the game long term, how they only allowed devs to see one perspective.

Last edited:

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
> Cheating was not considered (much) when the game was originally made and there have been no serious attempts to curb cheating since.

Cheating was considered. Character data was/is kept on the servers, and not on the users' computers. This was somewhat innovative circa 1995-1997.

When people started making true black and true white dye tubs via messing with outgoing packets, that got fixed.

There was some talk about getting a third-party anti-cheat thing (I don't remember the name) and that went nowhere. But at least they were thinking about it.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I did a little bit of thread clean up here.

As a reminder, the level of heated debate that is allowed on Unleashed should not be making its way to the main Stratics forums. Further, the troll v troll drama that is on the official forums should also not be spilling over to this one. If the thread derails further between the same folks who can't get over these gripes, thread bans and/or infractions will be issued.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

As a reminder, the level of heated debate that is allowed on Unleashed should not be making its way to the main Stratics forums. Further, the troll v troll drama that is on the official forums should also not be spilling over to this one. If the thread derails further between the same folks who can't get over these gripes, thread bans and/or infractions will be issued.
1652548576988.png

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There was some talk about getting a third-party anti-cheat thing (I don't remember the name) and that went nowhere. But at least they were thinking about it.
They were talking about using punkbuster at one point, but they decided against it. I like to think it's because punkbuster is invasive garbage software, but it's apparent that had they chosen to go that route, the game probably wouldn't be around to play today.

I know we all wish there was a way to curb the cheating, but it's just not possible without making a whole new client and disallowing all the others, including EC. The better move is to embrace the 3rd party programs but they aren't going to do that... well not publicly anyway.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I was afk for a few hours. Please PM the good stuff I missed.

Thanks

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is not to start a client war but there was a ton I didn't know you could do in EC which essentially allows you to write a complex macro that you can tweak into a script; so IMO by them doing that for EC it was just opening the door for people to script the game.
Since scripting has been around far longer than the EC I don't really think that has anything to do with it. People script in the CC not the EC. Big difference between scripting and EC macros.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since scripting has been around far longer than the EC I don't really think that has anything to do with it. People script in the CC not the EC. Big difference between scripting and EC macros.
There are posts in the official forums on how to automate the EC. You can tell it what the different types of eggs are and pick them up as you run by.

There are old CC add on that do things. But people that know how to modify files can make the EC do many things.

It was made to be an editable user interface.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The EC sends and receives the same packets as the CC. Making the tools that work with CC work with EC would not be very difficult and has probably already been done. The only reason they aren't publicly available is likely due to lack of necessity. If BS disabled the ability to use the CC, (which would never haver happen) I'd wager that there would be tools to script EC available within hours of the change.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yet everyone that scripts uses the CC
Because a friend of your cousins friend told you that fact.:tinhat:

Also a player who PMed me when I asked how they know someone is scripting, they sent me a link to a multi boxing program that only worked in EC.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Also a player who PMed me when I asked how they know someone is scripting, they sent me a link to a multi boxing program that only worked in EC.
Sure they did

klapios

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran

Bro you literally post about UO non-stop all day every day and you don't understand the most popular open and available scripting program for UO since forever ONLY WORKS IN CC. Good lord.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are posts in the official forums on how to automate the EC. You can tell it what the different types of eggs are and pick them up as you run by.

There are old CC add on that do things. But people that know how to modify files can make the EC do many things.

Now that is a lot of :tinhat: from someone spending a lot of time in UO.

Just to clear that up: EC mods have no knowledge of the game world items unless you trigger object handles (i.e. by pressing ctrl-shift). There are protections in place that mods can't trigger object handles without user input (similiar to most spells and actions only triggering when a key was pressed or a mouse button clicked).

EC mods also can't move your character. The only thing EC mods will do for you is picking up your egg of choice without having to click it. You still have to go next to it and interact with the keyboard / mouse.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The EC sends and receives the same packets as the CC. Making the tools that work with CC work with EC would not be very difficult and has probably already been done. The only reason they aren't publicly available is likely due to lack of necessity. If BS disabled the ability to use the CC, (which would never haver happen) I'd wager that there would be tools to script EC available within hours of the change.
I agree and I wasn't claiming it's not possible. I was responding to the person that commented on how ever since the EC came out that's what started all the scripting. That's just blatantly not true. I remember people running scripts in pvp long before the EC ever came out.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just to clear that up: EC mods have no knowledge of the game world items unless you trigger object handles (i.e. by pressing ctrl-shift). There are protections in place that mods can't trigger object handles without user input (similiar to most spells and actions only triggering when a key was pressed or a mouse button clicked).

EC mods also can't move your character. The only thing EC mods will do for you is picking up your egg of choice without having to click it. You still have to go next to it and interact with the keyboard / mouse.
I think he doesn't understand the difference between a macro and scripting.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Seriously?

Goodbye.
You should have left it all behind and never came back after this classic post . . .

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yup Classic!

I'm almost the only responder that stayed after that thread. That idea killed UO.

just wondering, what is thee official forum?

Hazel868789

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Since Atlantic is fel only. There’s about 15 new scripters on my server farming eggs and destard. I feel your pain Atlantic. Man this hurts
By scripters, do you mean those characters that recall to the same spot every time, hit crtl/shift to look for "curiously adorned egg"?

If they see one, they immediately, faster then a speeding bullet, opening 2 doors like they weren't even there, head for said item and immediately grab it, hit crtl/shift again to search?

Then recall immediately to RINSE/REPEAT above said actions??

And so be it that you have the exact same recall spot. Sit patiently for the eggs to respawn, and YOU get 'reported' for blocking ""THEIR"" recall spot?

This is NOT scripting, it is using multi clients legally. With a ""nonscripting script minder"" watching his other toons performing LEGAL actions because they are """ATTENDED"""

Rant over.

By scripters, do you mean those characters that recall to the same spot every time, hit crtl/shift to look for "curiously adorned egg"?

If they see one, they immediately, faster then a speeding bullet, opening 2 doors like they weren't even there, head for said item and immediately grab it, hit crtl/shift again to search?

Then recall immediately to RINSE/REPEAT above said actions??

And so be it that you have the exact same recall spot. Sit patiently for the eggs to respawn, and YOU get 'reported' for blocking ""THEIR"" recall spot?

This is NOT scripting, it is using multi clients legally. With a ""nonscripting script minder"" watching his other toons performing LEGAL actions because they are """ATTENDED"""

Rant over.
these people, may be using whatever, yet.......they behave like my kid.......spazzing out to run after a pixel when someone is already atop of it. If I am to believe the player base is a well aged player base, then they fail to display being an adult. Unless UO has been over run by kids......maybe it has.....either way, behavior is pathetic.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Doesn't surprise me they either can't or won't properly ban scripters, they've always been incredibly slow at dealing with major issues like this.
Even when they had more money, they still took an age to fix long-lasting, damaging issues or exploits.

Does anyone remember back when AOS came out, there was an exploit where you could place a carpentry house addon, such as a dartboard or other small item, when smashed with an axe, you could smelt the deed and get around 450-500 ingots PER deed.
That was wildly known and from memory, it took them over a month to fix that.
In all that time that went by, people were selling millions of ingots on eBay for cheap (when eBay allowed virtual sales).
You could walk past people's houses and you'd hear the smash/smelt noises all day, every day, often multiple times in a row. (Mutli clienting/script programs)

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Doesn't surprise me they either can't or won't properly ban scripters, they've always been incredibly slow at dealing with major issues like this.
Even when they had more money, they still took an age to fix long-lasting, damaging issues or exploits.

Does anyone remember back when AOS came out, there was an exploit where you could place a carpentry house addon, such as a dartboard or other small item, when smashed with an axe, you could smelt the deed and get around 450-500 ingots PER deed.
That was wildly known and from memory, it took them over a month to fix that.
In all that time that went by, people were selling millions of ingots on eBay for cheap (when eBay allowed virtual sales).
You could walk past people's houses and you'd hear the smash/smelt noises all day, every day, often multiple times in a row. (Mutli clienting/script programs)
I would not have remembered this had you not mentioned it! That exploit happened exactly how you explained it though.