• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I did it!

InfinitePudding

Adventurer
After coming back on April 6th of this year, playing very casually, and skipping almost 2 months of play I GM'ed my fishing skill at around 3:30 am central this morning. I'm so happy. Now I have 10 more points to go to hit my cap.

You get scrolls from the sea market fishing quests right? I am hoping to earn a 120 scroll for myself that way if I don't earn enough gold to just buy one first. Are there any sites I can go to for info on that?

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Congratulations! Here is a good post from Basara on what to do with the fishmonger quests: [Fishing] - Fishmongers' Quests locations sub-servers ? This will help too. Crafter Quests – Fishing – Ultima Online

It takes a while to build up to the fishing powerscrolls. They can be quite difficult to get which is why you don't always see a lot of them.

1. You will need a new style boat, the original ones will not work.
  2. Mark runes to all of the fishmongers.
  3. Pay attention to the subserver lines. Once you cross a line, you can recall to it to get and turn in a quest, there is no need to sail all the way to the dock to get or turn them in.
  4. Pay attention to number 3, this will save you a lot of time!
  5. Do not refuse a quest as it lowers your rep with them. If you click on it to look at it, you need to take it and fill it.
  6. As you turn quests in, you will get better quests. You start out turning in one or two items with lower quantities. As you progress you will get quests looking for 4 or 5 items at 20 qty each.
  7. You will need crabs and lobsters at some point, make sure you do some crabbing!
I hope this helps some! Good luck and let me know if you have any questions

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
After coming back on April 6th of this year, playing very casually, and skipping almost 2 months of play I GM'ed my fishing skill at around 3:30 am central this morning. I'm so happy. Now I have 10 more points to go to hit my cap.

You get scrolls from the sea market fishing quests right? I am hoping to earn a 120 scroll for myself that way if I don't earn enough gold to just buy one first. Are there any sites I can go to for info on that?

Congrats, I have a few fishing SoT's on Atlantic you can have for free if you'd like to get there faster. Just let me know through PM if ever :)

sos440

Adventurer
Congratulations, fellow fisherman!

In addition to precious resources from DreadLord Lestat's comment, here are some extra info:

1. As pointed out, you will need tons of crabs/lobsters and dungeon fish in the end.
2. For crab/lobster catch, you need to buy lobster traps, which is sold at the fisher marker. Then you can deploy them in any deep water. See Lobster Trap - UO Guide for a detailed information.
3. Dungeon fishing can be done in any dungeon, but certainly you want to secure some safe places. Several places have been discussed, including Ice dungeon, Shame 2nd level, Underworld, etc.
4. Old school boats have maximum load of 400 stones, which is too small to cover all the requests. New ships have maximum load of 16000 stones, so it is best you begin with a new style ship.
5. As pointed out, each fish monger will recognize your boat as long as they are in the same subserver, allowing some time-saving strategies. The following picture shows which city is in which subserver.

Searoad.png

The polygonal loop in the middle of the map is the loop I usually follow. This loop is elongated to the bottom in order to include the serpent pillar to the lost island.

6. I don't want to discourage you, but powerscrolls - even 105 ones - are extremely rare rewards. It is likely that over the half of your rewards will be baits, and about one fourth of your rewards will be handbooks. (I have recorded every quest and its reward, and it shows that I only got 4 powerscrolls out of 173 completed quests.) So be patient!

InfinitePudding

Adventurer
Wow, thanks everyone :) It feels great to be a member of such a great skill community. :) I have a tokuno galleon and a gargoyle ship I have been alternating between. Generally I take a pack horse with me to hold my catch because it's a pain to cary stuff to the hold. But I guess the quest stuff has to go in the hold huh? Should I work on my dungeoneering skills first? My fighitng skills are a bit ... low... they are good enough to kill sea serpents and deep serpents... but I tried doing a fishing net the other day and got instantly wrecked. XD

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, you can store and accumulate your fish at home or in your bank, but they actually have to be put into the crates in the boat, for the quests to be turned in.

As a result, you'll want to place the Tokuno boat with your fisher (it gives a +1 to fishing when fishing off its decks) in trammel or fel, and keep it refreshed. I think you can place the Gargoyle boat with one of your other characters and still use it, but each character is limited to one boat (not counting rowboats), and only one tied specifically to the fisher counts (for its location) when getting a quest.

To clarify point #5 in Lestat's quote of my old material, if you accept the quest (so that you can see what it will actually require), then reject it from your hold, it counts against you. If you simply do not accept a quest from the start (rejecting it sight-unseen), it's not supposed to have an effect. They were bugged on the release of High Seas to where they would hurt your standing on any rejection, but that got fixed (along with a related issue where the lobsters and crabs were bugged to given only the point value of shallow water fish - though they are still really undervalued in the opinion of most fishers, due to the effort involved).

To clarify point #3 im sos440's post, there are a LOT more options for dungeon fishing if you have Time of Legends. It turns out that NEARLY ALL OF EODON counts as "Dungeon" for fishing - and you can also use the lobster traps from shore in all dungeons (and Eodon) as well. Unless a dungeon fish is specifically found in only one dungeon, you can take care of most of the dungeon fishing (and crabs/lobsters) with a pack animal in Eodon, as there are several long stretches of river where the only spawn on one side of the river are corpsers and vampire bats (with the occasional saber-toothed tiger, which appear to be non-aggro, or at least low-aggro). Plus, you can rez at the kotl city turn-in NPC (while he lasts) or any number of wandering healers.

For that matter, the shallow water fish are located near shore in every facet except Eodon, near some server lines, and occasionally other locations (there's a shoal off the east coast of Serpent's Hold that counts as shallow water, that goes out several times the normal distance for shallow fishing. So, you don't actually have to fish from shore for them, but can park close to the shore (or in a special area) for it. My personal favorite for shallow water fishing is the river south of the Ter Mur royal city, but that's because it's a relatively safe area, and I can walk back to my 2nd house there, and take a teleporter trip back to my fish stockpile to drop off, without having to cast spells), and the Ter-Mur specific fish can be caught in shallow water.

Note that once you get the ability to fish dungeon fish, it will seem your quests will get a setback.

This is because of how quests work.

Essentially, quests all start as 1-liners, where only one fish type is asked for.

The quest system then keeps track of how many fish/crustacean types you've completed quests for, and also if you've failed quests by losing (when a ship goes away from not being refreshed) or tossing the crate.

The chance for a second line, is the percentage of fish types you've filled a 1-liner for, times some number that approaches (but isn't) 1. So, even if you've filled 1-liners for all possible fish types, the chance of a 1-liner becomes small, but still exists.

The chance for a 3rd line works the same way, based on the 2-liners you've filled, based on the fish type.
The chance for a 4th, 5th or 6th line work the same way, based on how many you've completed for each fish type of the previous level.

There are 12 shallow water fish types that fit quests
There are 12 crustacean types that fit quests (6 lobster, 6 crab)
There are 18 deep water fish types that fit quests.
So, before you reach the ability in the low 100s to fish in dungeons, the calculations above are based on X/42.

But, when you gain the ability to fish in dungeon waters, the 12 dungeon fish enter the equation, and the variables switch to X/54, and you start getting a lot of 1 & 2 line quests again, until you gain experience filling quests for the new fish.

Eventually, you'll get to where 1 line quests pretty much disappear, and 2 line quests become rare again (but not impossible). I've had 120 fishing now for 7 or so years (though I stone it off for spellweaving some of the time), and still get 2-liners on rare occasions when I put fishing back on the character (like I did for all of April through mid-July). Most of the 20 or so quests I did (trying to get a PS for a new friend; didn't get a 110 or better, as we'd already gotten them a 105)were 4-6 liners, but I did get a 2-liner and a 3-liner in the bunch.

If you do stone fishing off, remember to always add it back to the same character, as the PS stay with the character, and if you click a fisher NPC for a quest with fishing off, it might accidentally reset all the fish counters in your quest system to 0.

If you get a bunch of PS 105s, but not any better, just stockpile them until you get enough for a scrollbinder to make a 110. If you get the 110 before you get enough 105s to bind, either give them to other fishers or turn them in for cleanup points. Do the same for each level of PS, though you're much more likely to get a 120 PS drop before you ever get enough 115s to combine for one (but I saw it done at least once, but the result of several fishers pooling their extra 115s to get a 120 for a colleague).

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also remember that the fishing loop depicted in the picture works both ways. If you go up to the seas, going clockwise, between Britain and Bucs to pick up a quest from Britain, and all of your quests end up for Skara/Trinsic/Jhelom area, Vesper, and Papua, (with none for the FE or Moonglow), you can sail it counter-clockwise back to the FE to make the return trip more productive (you can hit Vesper from any of the sea area in its longitude, such as around the serpent pillar or any place that pillar returns you back to the regular ocean from the Lost Lands).

As you can recall to Skara, Trinsic and Jhelom from any place where you can deliver to Trinsic, it's usually best to park there before continuing to Britain or the serpent Pillar, until you've got all quests to those cities filled (including replacement quests), leaving you with only quests to the other 5 locations.
Similarly, it's best to park your ship just outside the security chains of the FE between expeditions, and making sure that all your quests for Moonglow and the Emporium are already filled and delivered (and any new quests from those cities gotten), before sailing off in either direction along the polygonal route. After all, if you need lobster traps, you need to be where you can go get more traps as you need them

There's been a couple occasions where I bounced back and forth for 5-6 recalls just delivering Emporium quests to Glow, and Glow to Emporium, because their replacements were for each other. Same goes for the S/T/J trio of locations. By making sure you have filled all quests for an area, AND gotten new quests for outside the area for all the possibles, you can save travel time in the long run. And, end up delivering 2-5 quests at once on one of your next couple of stops.

InfinitePudding

Adventurer
Thank you so much for all the info. I am at the bus stop right now but I'll put this into practice tonight when my chores are done.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I usually fish for dungeon fish In Ilsh @ mushroom cave, just before you go into Twisted Weald
nothing to agro on you there
I fish in all the little spots before going to the bigger ponds in the back
usually beetle is full before I start on the lil ones again

I think fishing in Eodon would be good, if the ant hills didn't pop up

Last edited: