• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I dare you, make me a PvP'er... Please?

Thav12

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been playing UO since 1998. Was away for a while, came back, repeated that x2. Trolling this and other forums forever. Now, finally, made an account on Stratics. Here's why:

I am interested in PvP. Never been good at it, no time to train my "mad skillz" to compete. Never had the gold to buy the right items, never going to pay cash for them either. I would love to make a char, tailor him to go to fel and take part in that exciting part of UO. Certainly miss the old days of ever present danger when venturing out, creating alliances with your neighbor 'red' etc. Was able to fend off some grey/blue, but always lost my stuff to organized reds.

I would love to make a char and be part of the Felluca way of life, as it is as many posters on this forum have stated, the unique part of UO. It has however been impossible for me to do so. Now, easy answer is of course: you suck... and arguably I do. But I am also one of those few loyal players that keeps playing this game despite dwindeling numbers. In other words, I keep your universe alive as well... I am not a power player, who has no job other than to play UO. Most people that I know in game appear to have a real life. I bet you the average UO player is 25-40 now, where they were 15-30 10 years ago. We are kidding ourselfs if we think that any new players ever comes to UO, only a few players in this age category may return to the game for nostalgic reasons. I am fine with that, by the way. It invariably means that everyone else who is still playing this game, just like me, has a busy "real life" and can't invest the hours we probably were able to invest a decade ago when our lives weren't so demanding. But it also means that everyone playing currently is a big and loyal fan of this game.

Call me a trammie all you want. Let me come to fel and train with you and your leet guild so I can actually participate and do some good with you. It is in your best interest. The very thing that keeps this game alive stands to get destroyed by inflation and such. 14 milion gp for scrolls is certainly an example of inflation. Ultimately, everyone would agree that the fun of this game is not having 100 mil gp in the bank. The fun of this game is that it is just that, a game that we all play.

Now, I can kill mobs reasonably well. And to get a power scroll, I will have to kill 14.000 high level mobs. This is prohibitive, i can not monster up enough time to kill enough monsters to even get one scroll. And I need more than one scroll, I have 6 more characters. So, I am convicted to remain a "trammie" forever, despite the fact that I would love to be participating in PvP fel stuff. That may get old. I may then decide to finally pull the curtain on this game. You don't want to loose me. I am you. Loose me, and ultimately you loose your own game you like so much.

Question is, as stated in the topic. How do we keep things going? Can you get over yourself and make me a PvP'er? Or will you just gank me untill I turn (or wait-- remain) blue. Can you lower your price? Can you allow me to participate and get a scroll myself? Help me help yourself.

J

jagarr

pvp is not really 'worth it' anymore, or i'd take you up on your offer!

with the current state of pvp and items and stuff in this game (i was never really even bothered by the cheating - good players can still beat cheats) i would not suggest anyone new to pvp first learn it in ultima online. it'd be an exercise in frustration.

a lot of PvP (and i mean a LOT of it) is learning about timing and learning how to not PANIC and flip out when you are fighting. seriously, its about 75% of pvp - being calm. play wow or some other game to get used to fighting other players in a MMO setting, then learn UO pvp. UO pvp is for pros only, and you REALLY need to be a diehard now. the barrier to entry is pretty ridiculous even with suits as easy to make as they are now. the funny thing is, with gear becoming so easy to get EVERYONE has amazing suits, so you need an amazing suit now more than ever to stand a chance, because everyone is running around w them rather than a select few dedicated players.

okay so maybe girls can join pvp guilds because nerds love them on vent, and sure you can go join a scroll farm guild and spam fields around... but it isn't dueling, it isn't even organized group pvp, and you'll never learn to read your opponents or guess their templates with one glance at them or any of truly important pvp skills.

pvping in one MMO is _not_ pvping for all of them, but there are some things you pick up that you keep forever. once you are 'used' to mmo pvp in an all-around easier mmo (WoW is real easy if you can nerd out on it for a few weekends straight to get the starting gear and levels you need) then you can jump to a twitchier one like UO.

if you are a trammelite who loves house decorating and still gets nervous around paragons, you will get your ass handed to you to the point where you quit the game in UO. i'd bet money on it. the only people that don't are a) girls who get treated like goddesses because of their bewbs and b) tamer pvmeatshield fodder that the real pvpers protect during spawns

Thav12

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To Jaggr -- If that is the case, do you think that can be "fixed" to some degree? Should that not be our concerted effort then, to work towards some fix? I don't think anybody reading these UO boards can be called a noob. They have all been here for years. Going to practice in WoW is exactly what I don't want. Already been there, done that. Most of us have ventured out to other games and have come back. In any other game, the pvp part of the game is easier to be part of, even at lower levels. I don't want another game. I want this game. Just like you. So again, how do we make that work?

I play on chessapeak.

I

imported_SavageSP

Try Siege, its all Fel and you can get by without a 20 Million Gold Piece suit, but come prepared to die often and learn that way.

G

I wonder what would happen with PvP if item properties were capped at GM level when attacking other players? It'd be interesting to see...

G

why???

its not being killled the problem..

its the stupid greifing afterwards..rez= kill = rez= greifing talk= etc etc

G

Yes, try siege.

You don't need a million dollars to compete in pvp, in fact with 500k (that can be made in a week as a newbie collecting cloth) you could have a built up 18x18 home, consumable pvp supplies, a good weapon, and could compete in pvp. Pvp is always around you, there is no escaping it, and the only way to get good at it is to consistently immerse yourself in all forms of pvp.

Scrolls are very easy to come by, at least 110 which would allow you to compete. The only issue would be training a character which will take some time. But it would bring back that nostalgia you mentioned.

I

imported_SavageSP

What purpose would letting someone RK you or Trash Talk You serve?

Anyone that lets it happen gets it because they allowed it to happen to themselves.

Rez in as safe a place as you can and re equip.

I

imported_Castor

getting Rk'ed once is the killers fault
getting RK'ed twice is the fresh rezzer's fault.

G

Heh, and if trash-talking people bother you, all I can say is WOW. (not WoW)

We tell children "sticks and stones can break your bones, but words will never hurt me," but one of the foremost concerns I always see with PvP is people not being able to handle being verbally...correction...textually taunted and criticized. Kind of amuses me...

They're just words and as immature and prideful as those comments may be, it takes someone just as immature and prideful to be offended by them.

Anywho, the complaints of rez killing are pretty pointless. Rez in a safe area AKA use a bit of common sense. You don't mind having your path in this game dictated by the mechanics coded into a monster, but as soon as a real form of intelligence helps to dictate it you get offended? Please...

For the record, trash talking and rez killing is pretty pathetic. I generally heal myself up, rez the person that lost to me, and carry on if at all possible...regardless of whether they attacked me first.

J

jagarr

imo the artificial barriers to entry on siege are just as bad as they are on prod shards =/

especially ROT skillgain. i don't want to be held back by some silly gain ceiling in a ten year old game, thanks.

Lord_Puffy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
come to siege perilous well make you a pvper, its got all that old nastalgia of old uo... no trammel no insurance.... there is still guard zones in town but its pretty sweet to be able to kill people anywhere for the most part!

Come to the dark shard (side)

Best community on ultima to this day.

Thav12

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting responses. I certainly will make a siege character, and take you all up on your offers to help me get on my feet in that community. It will for sure make me a better PvP'er, although I will have to set up all my UOassist macro's again I am sure... Just starting to get used to the, beautiful, KR client.

However, does that really address the ultimate issue? I sense a type of self destructive behaviour that has plagued the UO community from the very start. Previously, that was solved by splitting the lands, the world as we knew it, into two camps. And since there were plenty of players to go about, it didn't matter. To each their own was the going motto.

We didn't really appreciate the inter-dependence of the two populations. Nowadays we do feel the respective pain. Less players, an economy that has become somewhat unbalanced and ultimately two playing styles that are somewhat mutually exclusive. Again, this is going to hurt us all, since neither appears terribly sustainable if more and more people leave.

Is their any way we can bridge the divide to make it more sustainable for both camps?

G

Come on over to the Siege forum and visit with us. We are here. We may be a bit rough and tumble, but we will answer questions and help you get set for the Siege experience.

There is nothing quite like a fresh start, it may not be as exhilarating as when you first started UO. I do promise it can be exciting. The thrills! The spills! The oh damn... *grey screen*

Our little forum is fairly busy, too. *winks* Come on over.

G

I forgot to mention that we have a guild that offers training tips, help and companionship for 30 days or so. That way you can get a feel and learn the "lay of the land" brfore you commit to any quild or alliance. Most all of us support the "NEW" guild. I won't promise it will keep you trammel safe, but you will never lack for basic neccesities. *nods*

G

<blockquote><hr>

However, does that really address the ultimate issue? I sense a type of self destructive behaviour that has plagued the UO community from the very start. Previously, that was solved by splitting the lands, the world as we knew it, into two camps. And since there were plenty of players to go about, it didn't matter. To each their own was the going motto.

We didn't really appreciate the inter-dependence of the two populations. Nowadays we do feel the respective pain. Less players, an economy that has become somewhat unbalanced and ultimately two playing styles that are somewhat mutually exclusive. Again, this is going to hurt us all, since neither appears terribly sustainable if more and more people leave.

Is their any way we can bridge the divide to make it more sustainable for both camps?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is an interesting topic. There is no division on Siege, and yet we have one of the smallest populations.

G

I'd be glad to help out a player.

I came to the game 3-4 months ago. one month ago finally got what i needed to pvp and haven't left fell since.

I can put you on a fast track and teach what I know and introduce you to vet pvp'ers.

we play on atlantic though, drop me a PM if you feel like moving and can FOLLOW DIRECTIONS.

M

Meldurh

quote:
"Can you get over yourself and make me a PvP'er?"

Nothing easier than that:

lEaRn sOMe deWd SpeAk.
join a gang.
get a speed hack proggy.
find some lone,despisable trammy already badly hurt by mobs to gangbang.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I'd be glad to help out a player.

I came to the game 3-4 months ago. one month ago finally got what i needed to pvp and haven't left fell since.

I can put you on a fast track and teach what I know and introduce you to vet pvp'ers.

we play on atlantic though, drop me a PM if you feel like moving and can FOLLOW DIRECTIONS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! All that? "FOLLOW DIRECTIONS"? Learning team work and the role in battle can be fun. It does have to be a job.

G

Yes UO is a pain for pvp ive been in this game since 2000 and have never been leet in PvP but have learned basic things that made it survivable 2 kinds exist PvP warriors and Duelists of corse there is also the pks but thats not really PvP thats just wakin down easy prey.

UO is glitchy some folks are good at adapting to the quirks others never get it and there seems a dividing line that says some folks would rather mock thouse who cant PvP as oposed to teach them the fear being that once the methode is taught the hunter becomes the hunted and the superior additude is no longer justified.

There are some nice folks who go out of thier way as can be seen in this post
i never got to the point where i was a duelist just a warrior but dueling for me isnt really all that exciting i like a battlefield if you can find a red guild that will take you that might be best bet but some of thouse outfits are kind of closed groups only taking known players - friends of friends.

another thing you can do is dress to die and just start hangin out in fel at hot spots and never let em see you sweat if the kill you just laugh and say hey can you show me a move or give me a tip.

its true better pvp ive found in other games WoW had superb pvp then they made it more like sports and killed it, ww2 online was great the rule there is to be seen is to be dead,SWG had great space combat but nothing beats the UO world its the ultimate sandbox.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

getting Rk'ed once is the killers fault
getting RK'ed twice is the fresh rezzer's fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I

imported_archite666

"I am interested in PvP. Never been good at it, no time to train my "mad skillz" to compete. Never had the gold to buy the right items, never going to pay cash for them either. I would love to make a char, tailor him to go to fel and take part in that exciting part of UO. Certainly miss the old days of ever present danger when venturing out, creating alliances with your neighbor 'red' etc. Was able to fend off some grey/blue, but always lost my stuff to organized reds. "

JOIN SIEGE PERILOUS!!

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL. I think your post rings of a seasoned vet. It was rather funny too.

Bewbs!

I would 100% agree that at least half of pvp is keeping calm. The rest is timing. Of course, with all the cheats, those other two reasons are rather moot

The one and only reason I won't pvp in this day and age are the frackin cheats. I will not subject myself to speedhacking, auto healing, possible item insurance bugs (my stuff dropping to body), etc. Pretty lame. I wish they would fix this crap.

BYOOOBS! Show us your byoobs! lmao