• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I Am Legend...

• Thread starter Draken-Korin
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

Draken-Korin

So who believes they will be up to playing Will Smith's character in UO's version of "I Am Legend"?

Not that the powers that be care as long as subs continue to be paid for, but damn Sosaria is looking more empty by the day.

U

_Uriah Heep_

Feels that way, doesn't it DK.

Need a bit of advertisement, of any kind.
And just re-issue the gold cds, anything, to put it on a shelf somewhere, be it at Wal-Mart or Target, or wherever!!

Just left some people know UO exists!

G

Anyone I see running around with that name and hasn't read the book I swear I will PK until my hands fall off or they go read the book.

That movie was an abomination. It was a terrible hollywood cliche of what happens to an amazing story when hollywood gets their hands on it.

If they had stuck to the actual story that was already written out for them I'm sure Will Smith would have made it an award winning preformance.

It's a shame they robbed him of that opportunity.

Sorry...

That movie pissed me off...

*cough*

D

Draken-Korin

The book has been made into a movie 3 or 4 times now, and it was written in the 1950's, or around that time if I'm not mistaken. I cannot say I have read the book nor seen the movie (I did see Omega Man starring Charlton Heston way back when), although I know the premise.

The point of the post was who will be the last man standing in Sosaria, not a book/movie review.

P

PaganOfLegends

Uriah, I totally agree. For years now, every time a new UO expansion comes out, I have a hard time finding a copy. What does EA expect, when they don't put the game out there on the shelves? The last copy of UO I bought was 9th anniversary, from Comp USA. Was so hard to even find it. There was 2 boxes of UO and what looked like a hundred plus boxes of WoW.

I am not Legend, but I play on Legends. And that movie has a terrible title. They should have called it "Pagan Of Legends".

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You must REALLY hate it when they make a Stephen King book into a movie.

D

Draken-Korin

I cannot question Stephen Kings success but am often at a loss as to WHY.

I live in the Boston area and often see him at Red Sox games. I cannot help but feel after having read some of his books years ago he does a good amount of writing between innings.

C

Chango Pelon

<blockquote><hr>

Anyone I see running around with that name and hasn't read the book I swear I will PK until my hands fall off or they go read the book.

That movie was an abomination. It was a terrible hollywood cliche of what happens to an amazing story when hollywood gets their hands on it.

If they had stuck to the actual story that was already written out for them I'm sure Will Smith would have made it an award winning preformance.

Sorry...

*cough*

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so then, do you feel the Vincent Price in "The Last Man On Earth" or Chuck Heston in "The Omega Man" were better adaptations of the book? If not, you are not being fair as I feel this was the best adaptaion of the three and I SO Heart Chuck!!!

J

Jaimes

Yeah, I read a Stephen King book and it definitely wasn't what I would consider literature.

Same thing with Harry Potter books (and I am gonna take [censored] for this) but JKR isn't a very good writer, but rather an adept storyteller. Which isn't much of a compliment to most novelists.

G

I have a dear friend who made almost the exact same comment about JKR. Funny I would see it here too. She said the series wasn't good literature but it was a very good tale.

I

imported_Pasquinade

The average person does not understand the ending of I Am Legend (book). I have had to explain the real ending to many people and they sit there with dumb looks, not comprehending what "I am Legend " means as Matheson wrote it. Hollywood changed the ending (drastically) for the average audience/moviegoer.
Phenomenal book!
And Last man on Earth with Vincent Price was excellent, though I did like Omega Man (Charlton Heston rocks).
And yes, UO does feel like a plague hit!

F

Fayled Dhreams

Heh! well, since the actual mechanics of "the last day" can be pretty well "groked"
I'll go ahead and proclaim myself legend ... last man standing on the face of Sosaria ...
baring the unlikely event of a dev scrolling thru the "logged in" connections ...
and individually "wiping out" the population ..

No "Proof" nor "Witness" will be available to counter the claim ...

So ... by right of "Dibs" and "first Claim Logged" ...

I Am Legend

As for the "literature snobs"
lacking any counter examples of WHAT IS "good/great Literature" ...

well, simply, you are wrong.

burma shave

G

Hes not good, but hes a pretty fun author to read.

I mean I don't think hes talentless, but hes not good.

Not that it matters, hes a permanent fixture in American literary culture history.

A

Ah Beng

<blockquote><hr>

The average person does not understand the ending of I Am Legend (book). I have had to explain the real ending to many people and they sit there with dumb looks, not comprehending what "I am Legend " means as Matheson wrote it. Hollywood changed the ending (drastically) for the average audience/moviegoer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. It's like the movie missed the entire point (of the book). But on its own (eg. if the book never existed), the movie could be ok (though the title would then be far less poignant).

For the curious, here is the real (darker) meaning behind the title "I am Legend" of the original book.

http://www.answers.com/topic/i-am-legend

I

imported_Stanton of Pac

The original adaptation w/Price was fairly true to Matheson's book except for the ending. The Omega Man was just plain silly and the most recent adaptation had very little in common with Richard Matheson's book at all. I disliked I am Legend the most because of &lt;spoiler&gt; <font color="white"> Smith strangling the dog - I can't abide cruelty to animals even if it's only movie make-believe</font> &lt;/spoiler&gt;.

I

imported_Chad Sexington

<blockquote><hr>

Sorry...

*cough*

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw the movie. I really liked it.

My brother told me the ending to the book and the first words that came out of my mouth were:

"Wow, they should make that movie."

D

davebobbit

<blockquote><hr>

(Charlton Heston rocks).

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he was really good in Bolwing For Columbine...

G

I rather enjoyed the movie also. Nay, I loved the movie. I did not know it was based upon a book. My thoughts, after seeing the movie, was that it was a better "version" of the movies 28 Days/Weeks Later, which were great movies too, in my opinion.

It's sad that people stick to a Book and then base their opinions of a movie based upon a Book. Base your opinions of the Movie based upon the Movie itself. Of course, no movie (no matter how good), will ever compare to a good book. It is folly to assume otherwise and then tear apart a Movie because of it. They are two separate entertainment fields.

It would be like saying you can compare the play experience of Paper &amp; Pencil D&amp;D to the MMO Dungeons &amp; Dragons Online. You cannot. They are two separate entertainment fields, albeit based upon the same principal.

I

imported_shonsu

A by-the-book adaptation would appear very dated by today's standards (with movies trying to out plot-twist each other).

I thought Will Smith did a good job.

I thought the dog did a GREAT job.