• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] I am getting confussed pls help me - have i a nice rare colection or justa collection

K

kray2s

hi all,

I know for a fact just from seeing the posts on these boards that i do not have a collection anywhere near the size of some people here.

However rather than buying up any rare i have seen i have tried to find the ones i like as its me thats running in and out of my house more than anyone.

But my questions are as follows -

1, I have as far as i know never have had a server birth in my collection, does this mean i am not a true collector? (just a comment passed by someone that will remain nameless - i made a reply with a few words i wont put here but it was along the lines of i like it - i collected it - so *@*king what if you dontlike it others may!)

2, also what does constitute a rare? i know its not limited to 1 off items, but things i have which i thought were at least in the rares category such as those black bows (i not sure of event) which are labelled along lines of "a bow of flame doussing" and such i have seen on many a vendor now going for as little as 15,000 gp

3, Does a rare collector need to have 1000's upon 1000's of rares or does a player with 10 to 20 or 30 rares for under 20 mill each still count as a collector given that the player with 10 / 20 or 30 has worked just as hard to get his gold and has taken time care and lots of consideration into the choices of which rare he or she buys and not just gone oh thats rare is it - i will have that and not given 2 seconds thought to the purchase or the significance the item holds or may hold to themselves or other players.

I know i been a little long winded here with the questions but i just wanted to be sure they'd be understood properly - had my confidence dented by a so called friend :cursing: so really i just lookin for confirmation that im not trying to pretend to be someone i not and that i not just doing this->:wall: and wasting my time and possibly yours

thanks for any opinions posted
i await in eagerness:thumbsup:

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A rare collector in my opinion is someone who collects rares obviously, different people will collect different catergories of rares, different types of rares and so on; each though will still be a rare collector who are interested in rares and collect them for their own personal interests. Whoever said to you, you arnt a collector unless you have a server birth can get Fu**** in my opinion. Rare collectors are people that have at least one rare, are interested in rares, and that buy rares to collect them.

K

kray2s

cheers esca :)

seems me and you have the same lines of thought - see im in middle of trying to display my items and then a comment got passed and i started thinking why i am bothering with people like that out there!

But im gonna carry on and show them just who the :loser: is

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well i collect all the holiday stuff...am i a rare collector????

Thats full names for all statues,bells,snowmen,candles, reindeers etc etc

If that aint rare!!!! show me your Butt!!

Iam even more happy for the turn-in as full collections of stuf like reindeers will be few and far between and obvoiusly ...''very rare''!!!!!

Alcestis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well i'd like to say:

There is a difference between collectables and rares.
Like the stuff THP mentions are clearly collectables, it is hard to get a full set of these, but they aren't rare (yet) as such.

However, I don't think this means your efforts are worthless.

For example, I myself collect whispering roses and I love it! But I personally don't count them as part of my rares collection.
They're just something I collect.

In the rares database we are planning to build, I do see a place for these items. We need to inform on all levels.

P

PoCove

So the White stuffies will go in the collectable section .. I have 3 of 4 of the white ones ..

Some rares are priced Way too expensive for the common collector {like me}

I consider myself a rare collector I have a few rares ..

F

feath

hey kray, don't be put off by your friends comment. perhaps a slight tinge of jealousy on his part. perhaps its not something he sees as valuable, so needs to put you down for it.

i see it like this; the rares collectors are collectors. we are all collectors here. We collect rares, uniques, sets, colors, types .... collectors naturally start with the easy stuff (i love the practice weapons. got one of everything - and that extended into the arti 11s, then into rares... cause, see, i got to finish the collection.)
i find anything connected to gardening a must have. birds, eggs, plants - even the stuff from the tokens; if its garden, its in. now i'm looking for a plough, which is rare.
i love books ... guess where that is going lol
Start your collection with what pleases you. You're a 'rares' collector - on the hunt for the rare that will complete your collection. just because you've not got a server births or event item yet, doesn't mean you're not a rare collector. just that you haven't found the right item that complements what you collect.

There are some people who ONLY collect rares - thats their theme collection. Ech. I wish i had that much money, but I'm totally happy with my budding rares collection.

yours will expand naturally, too.

K

Kratos Aurion

Just because you don't own 100m items doesn't mean what you have is worthless. Rares collecting comes in many forms. Just to give you an example, it can be in these forms.

-Seer/Event Items & EA Event Items (the most expensive form of collecting)

-Old School Items (the most moderate form of collecting) armor, clothing, tools, furniture etc. Its affordable but the older the item, the more you're going to spend.

-Holiday Items (a common form of collecting that people do to obtain old and new holiday items which some are worth millions and others a few hundred k)

-Wearables (another common form of collecting but can be pricey)

In all honesty, if your "friend" says what you have isn't rare, what does he have to compare against your collection? You probably already have more than he does.

I've seen collections of old school double exceptional items which are fairly cheap to come by and cool to look at. They sell between 50-200k and about 10mil should get you between 70-100 double exceptional items. Thats a lot of deco potential:thumbsup:

K

kray2s

its not that i dont have rares in my house - and yes i have loadsa collectables - im a chef in real life and i gotta admit that i have been having fun collecting those muffins with writing on them!

thing with me is i find i like a lot of the "lower end stuff" if theres such a thing when it comes to rares!

The blaze muffin i love to bits - My eye of newt (my 1st ever rare(ish) item i wouldnt part with for a million real life dollars.

What gets me is the ignorance of some people that say omg your a rares collector and u only got the lower stuff!

Well im sorry Mr/Mrs X (shal remain nameless) i have purchased and traded for what i like and its me that gonna see it more than u so if u dont like it dont come looking round!

Anyhow back on to the point of topic (feels good to rant once in a while)

Does the fact that i have a few lower end pieces and not got say the full pheonix armour set of the cloak of some geezer named marcell make me less of a collector than say Mrs B who has spent 100 million gp and some real life cash to boot!

In my honest, humble and if u like slightly less informed opinion of some on these boards - it makes no difference what so ever!

I really was just looking for the (excuse my spelling here) concensous of opinion.

I didnt wanna waste my time and others here if i was trying to belong where i didnt fit!

However that rant over my collection is growing and will grow further!
so if anyone has any - singing balls or blue/sigil/purple hued legs of lamb (theres a reason i want the lamb - alas to say i was an idiot - it was late i was moving houses i didnt open beetles pack he got an expensive meal when i just dropped it on him damn bug!! lol)

anyhow thanks for all replies and also for any replies still to come you lot here are truely 1st class geezers and gals:thumbsup:

K

kray2s

i am also nearing completion on at least my ground floor of where i am gonna display my things - will let u all know when i open it then maybe peeps can tell me exactly what they think!

Errrrm (if i can figure out how to get pics to upload here) is there somewhere i can post a little screen shot and peeps can have a preview?

K

Kratos Aurion

There is no lesser or greater being in rares collectors. We are what we are. We collect rares.

Not to dispute the difference in bigger or smaller museums. There is a difference.

For example, if someones museum is worth 7bil gold and mine is worth 600mil gold, there's is obviously "bigger" or at least contains rarer items than mine.

Now if their museum is considered "better" than mine, that is obviously a personal opinion.

Like I said in an older post, you can buy quality or quantity. Just because you have a 100 lowend rares doesn't make them not rare. Liquidated, you could sell all 100 lowend rares and buy 1 highend rare.

Then it boils down to wealth and personal interest. Would you rather decorate your house with 3 highend rares or over 100 lowend rares?

Personally, I chose the lowend solution. I decorate with lowend rares and when I can, I obtain highend rares to throw in the middle to add the extra "ooo" and "aah"

So just because your collection is built on lowend rares doesn't make you any less of a collector than another. It's based on your personal interests and reflects you who you are as a collector.