• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Hummer Lobster

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Many times, in the past, i've cancelled the quests.

So I've made only 3 quests:
10 mahi-mahi - 1 giant koi bait
10 shad - 1 lava labster trap
10 shad - 1 lava labster trap

Now the new quest that given me the fishmonger of sea market is for hummer lobster.
I've NEVER catched this fish in Trammel. The quest finish at Jehlom.
How have i do?
What type of fish is it?
Does it exist or i have to cancel the quest another time?
:(

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You need to buy Lobsters traps from the Crab fishers at the sea market.

Place a traps in the water. When the traps do *bob* Pick the trap out and take out the lobster or crab.

Buy a lot of traps.

Lobster Traps

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It does exist, You need to buy some lobster traps from the Lobster NPCs at the Floating Emporium. Then double click the trap and target some water, When it begins to bob double click it and inside it you will find crab and or lobster.

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to all :)
Is there a little guide for all thinks? I've made a search but with my bad english i've understood nothing :(
If i write on the forum don't be angry :)

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stratics has a list of all the fish here: Fishing in the High Seas

I couldn't find a guide to using the traps, But it is fairly easy. Any other problems please do post and we'll try help! :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In fact, you can set the traps off the docks (as they are more than 5 steps off shore), and fish with your pole at the same time.

The traps don't have a timer for setting, but can only be retrieved (not opened, or set out) while the timer between your fishing pole's casting and the point where you are catching a fish (or fail to catch).

as it typically takes about the length of 5 casts for there to be any activity with the traps, I'll set out 3 traps in front of me, hit my macro for making 5 casts with my pole, and wait. If a trap starts bobbing, I retrieve it, and wait for my macro to end.

Once the macro is over, I

1. empty the full traps,
2. replace any that sank,
3. pull in any traps left in the water (sometimes they don't bob when they catch something) to see if they caught anything
4. Reset the traps
5. hit the casting macro again.

It's certainly quicker than just doing fishing or traps by themselves. And, it will typically use the spot of the last trap you set for the target of where you are casting, so don't confuse the splashing of your line hitting the water with something getting in the trap.

Note: if you fish up a sea serpent, abort out of the macro, retrieve your traps, then kill the serpent. After looting the serpent, shift position where the corpse won't be in the way, reset the traps (emptying any that actually caught something), and resume the above method.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also never, ever cancel quests, as it subtracts fishing reputation from you; and as you need about 120 or so quests without a cancel to get to the 105 Powerscroll level of reputation, you're just going to cause yourself even more pain...

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't understand one thing. In this link Fishing in the High Seas what means the column "Dungeon Fishing"?
I've been fishing in a little boat. Does change the type of fish if i change my boat?
However, both links are usefully!!
Thanks.
Another things. Crabs are objects of some quest?
There is a guide with all quests with fishes needed?

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also never, ever cancel quests, as it subtracts fishing reputation from you; and as you need about 120 or so quests without a cancel to get to the 105 Powerscroll level of reputation, you're just going to cause yourself even more pain...
Frarc has sayed to me this thing only after i had cancelled a lot of quest because all asked to me the lobster that i did'nt know how to catch.
It's a pity but i didn't know that there was the reputation :(

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got my first fishing ps from quest no 32 and the second one around 65.

There is yet no use for plain lobsters and crabs. The fishmongers ask randomly for any of those uncommone ones.
Dungeon fishing means, you fish those fishes inside a dungeon. There are waters in shame, the abyss, destard and several more.

Ah ... and you should get a bigger, new ship soon. The old small ones cannot hold the bigger orders from the fishmongers. Their capacity is limited to 400 stones. So the fishmonster will only give you very small orders.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At some time yes ... if you want the better rewards from the quests. the samll ship can only carry 400 stones. You can get orders/quests for up to 6-times 20 fishes, which would be 1200 stones +1 for the crate. Not to mention, that you might want to do more than one quest at a time.

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a littleproblem.
It's 2 days that i try to crab hummer lobster but in about 10 hours i've catched only 2 hummer lobster. Is it normal?
I'ìm very bored :(
I put the crabs in the deep see.
Some suggeston?
Only an half an hour and then i cancel the quest :(

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think cancelling a quest only subtracts 1 point, So if it's taking 2 days to fill a crab order, I'd personally cancel it and fill other orders. You would make far more points by cancelling crab ones and doing loads of fish ones in that time.

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes Mapper. I've canceled the quest and i've made 5 instead of one. Some simple bait as reward but it's not possible spend 3 days for only 2 lobster :( (next month I'll always fishing hummer lobster!!).

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is how i do lobster fishing. I go to Moonglow, place 12 traps on the left and 12 traps on the right. I made 1 macro for traps facing north/south and 1 for traps facing east/west. When i see the first *bob*, I collect packs of 4 traps and place them again. Not every trap is full, but I also dont lose any trap. When i reach the last trap of the 24, the first already *bob* again. So you can go on and on without losing time for waiting.
When i am almost full I put the crabs and lobsters in my beetle and move on.

Attachments

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i do the same thing by just placing 8 down top of boat (east west) and then 8 down bottom of boat (16 total)
once first one bobs or so I constantly replace each trap no matter what in the order i layed them.
so i pick it up and empty it and then replace it 1 at a time.
I only have 16 traps so there is no stacking and no loss of traps.

Lorddog

pacific cruiser

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im doing 80 a shot and as i pull em up i tend to lose an average of 2. outta the 78 i have an average of 20 being empty, and outta those more then half have normal lobsters and crabs.. unfortunatly for me i am getting orders that call for 20 dungenous crabs.. thats it a one line order but to get em takes me about 3-5 hours....im guessing as you progress the crabs and lobsters seem to increase. hence my hold is filled with orders of 4 to 6 parts and all contain crab and lobster orders plus heavy and shallow fishes in same order outta over 200 quest i have just gotten my 1st extra 105. i have stopped counting them since as everyone says its rng not the actual order and went into the grind stage.if i get bored i load up on the orc ship and go kill pirates for a few or load up mib's and fish them up..all my baits are over 400 uses each now and i just started getting blue lobster and lava fish baits last week.. so something is progressing..good luck to all !!:party:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I discovered something interesting last night, from being distracted by the Stratics downtime (and talking to Petra about fishing over Skype).

If you DON'T haul up your traps, when the float starts to bob, and wait till you actually LOSE a trap or two, nearly all of your traps will not only be full, but have 2 or 3 catches in them, not one.

After seeing this, I'm tempted to just eat the trap losses, and use this method, as I was getting better returns this way, than just pulling in the ones as they bob.

Though, I admit, one time, after putting out 6, and losing one, the remaining 5 traps had 11 catches - all of them normal lobsters and crabs... damn you, RNG.....

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I discovered something interesting last night, from being distracted by the Stratics downtime (and talking to Petra about fishing over Skype).

If you DON'T haul up your traps, when the float starts to bob, and wait till you actually LOSE a trap or two, nearly all of your traps will not only be full, but have 2 or 3 catches in them, not one.

After seeing this, I'm tempted to just eat the trap losses, and use this method, as I was getting better returns this way, than just pulling in the ones as they bob.

Though, I admit, one time, after putting out 6, and losing one, the remaining 5 traps had 11 catches - all of them normal lobsters and crabs... damn you, RNG.....
Hum, will have to try this Basara, I had not seen more than a single crab or lobster in a trap since the latest publish. I am anxious to go try this out and verify that you can still get more than one per trap!!!

quadspeed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if u on europa ill swop for snow crabs i need 8 ! not finished my first quest ! sob

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know this is an old post but I wanted to ask if there has been a change in lobster traps since High Seas was released. I never have caught more than one thing in each trap. After losing my first dozen traps, I have been waiting for the first one in the string to bob, pull up all that bob, then pull up the rest of the string since they never bob and if left much longer, go under. All of the ones I pull up that haven't bobbed are empty. How do you get more than one crustation in a trap?

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At each 60 second mark or **bob**, there is a chance for:
  • catching another random crustacean
  • the trap to disappear with a splash, destroying the trap
  • the trap to catch nothing yet it wont disappear either
At each **bob**, your chance to catch a rare lobster goes up, but at the same time the chance to lose the trap goes up too. While a trap can hold up to 5 lobsters, you shouldn't rely on that and wait until you see five **bob** since you will lose most of your traps if you do so.