• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Human or Elf Sampire

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does the 20 extra Mana make the Elf better for a Sampire, or does it come down to personal choice?

Thanks

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Does the 20 extra Mana make the Elf better for a Sampire, or does it come down to personal choice?

Thanks
A large part of it is personal choice but mana is pretty much the driving force behind a Sampire and thus most will recommend being an elf.

I have a couple of Human Sampire/Warrior builds but they are lucky enough to have their armour parts stacked with Int/Mana enough to justify going human. Does being a human bring anything extra to the party? Not particularly, it's just the aesthetics. I believe there is a small stamina loss reduction by being human but if you are playing any kind of warrior seriously you are going to have the 5 part metal armour bonus anyway and stamina loss will rarely be a problem.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you want to stone necro and temporarily equip some necro gear to get into wraith form, you can stay in wraith (wammy) form with human JOAT. Human JOAT also gives you a good chance to cast spellweaving spells such as attune weapon and gift of renewal.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I have tried Elf on a melee character and was not impressed honestly. It's like they can't take a hit and are more frail than Humans. Maybe it has something to do with the +2 HPR that the humans get.. I dunno. But between that, the JOAT, the increased carry weight I generally stick to human on my Sampire.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
My sampire is an elf. 5 higher energy resist. 20 extra mana. Nightsight lets you use earrings with 2 resist.
Hp regen on human isnt useful on a sampire thats leeching insane hp from all the damage.

if your gear isnt super high end, you will struggle to get 150hp, 180 stam, 70mana with 35ssi on a human. That 20 mana makes a big difference rounding out your gear.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Interesting topic!

My sampire is an elf for the +5 energy resist cap and 20 extra mana. As others have pointed out, without the additional mana from elf passive, you will either have low mana as a human - or have to sacrifice another stat or mod in your gear.

While the +2 HPR on a human is nice, if you're having trouble leaching back enough life to say alive, chances are you're having an issue somewhere else in your template, gear or weapons as opposed to being elf versus human.

One of the few benefits of human sampire is JOAT. You will have slightly better mana regen due to focus and mediation, and some minor benefits of passive spirit speak and anatomy (depending on your skill setup). In my opinion, this is not a significant enough factor to justify being a human over an elf.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is that because Female Elf has more clothing options?
Yes females have more options.

I run human male with run of the mill armor have 67 mana. Been thinking of changing him to female to unlock the female armor. But then cost of the tokens gender and name change stops me. I went human male because I wanted the dead look.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yes, and females also take less damage from Semidar.

Also note that 20 lumberjacking from JOAT allows you to reach the 300 damage increase cap that you cannot reach with max tactics / anatomy / strength and DI from items as claimed in another thread here on stratics.

That having said, my sampire is an elf due to the mana bonus and the fact that night sight frees up a mod or even slot, but I did test human on test center first and liked JOAT bonuses such as being able to cast some spellweaving spells and being able to convert the sampire into a wammy with JOAT as I mentioned above.

Last edited:

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Female elf also.

The attraction to enhanced woodland way back when was to much but now all the armor is nice.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Yes, and females also take less damage from Semidar.

Also note that 20 lumberjacking from JOAT allows you to reach the 300 damage increase cap that you cannot reach with max tactics / anatomy / strength and DI from items as claimed in another thread here on stratics.

That having said, my sampire is an elf due to the mana bonus and the fact that night sight frees up a mod or even slot, but I did test human on test center first and liked JOAT bonuses such as being able to cast some spellweaving spells and being able to convert the sampire into a wammy with JOAT as I mentioned above.
It's possible to go above 300 dmg increase "cap" with 100 LJ.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Female elf, as noted prior, ability to complete semidar.

There is zero good reason to be a human samp, unless u just wanna be human. The benefits are negligible.

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alright, I switched my Sampire to an Elf. I’ve been down in Shame fighting UEV for the Crystal’s with my Human Sampire and couldn’t wait to get back down there as an Elf. Normally I don’t have any problem with several UEV’s at the same time. There was only one around, so I Honored it and started fighting. First thing I noticed was that I wasn’t Healing as much as usual. Then mana started dropping along with stamina, which I have never experienced with the Human. As I’m trying to stay alive, my thoughts were, hum, where did I go wrong? I start going over my template analyzing each item, and everything looked correct. So, in final desperation, I dig out my Sampire for Dummies book. Wow, there was my answer on the very first page. “ Remember to switch into Vampiric form before fighting”.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Alright, I switched my Sampire to an Elf. I’ve been down in Shame fighting UEV for the Crystal’s with my Human Sampire and couldn’t wait to get back down there as an Elf. Normally I don’t have any problem with several UEV’s at the same time. There w as only one around, so I Honored it and started fighting. First thing I noticed was that I wasn’t Healing as much as usual. Then mana started dropping along with stamina, which I have never experienced with the Human. As I’m trying to stay alive, my thoughts were, hum, where did I go wrong? I start going over my template analyzing each item, and everything looked correct. So, in final desperation, I dig out my Sampire for Dummies book. Wow, there was my answer on the very first page. “ Remember to switch into Vampiric form before fighting”.
Been there done that, in some nastier placed too..:)

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Interesting topic!

My sampire is an elf for the +5 energy resist cap and 20 extra mana. As others have pointed out, without the additional mana from elf passive, you will either have low mana as a human - or have to sacrifice another stat or mod in your gear.

While the +2 HPR on a human is nice, if you're having trouble leaching back enough life to say alive, chances are you're having an issue somewhere else in your template, gear or weapons as opposed to being elf versus human.

One of the few benefits of human sampire is JOAT. You will have slightly better mana regen due to focus and mediation, and some minor benefits of passive spirit speak and anatomy (depending on your skill setup). In my opinion, this is not a significant enough factor to justify being a human over an elf.
This pretty much nails it... it took me a while to figure this out by myself (JOAT in LJ/Anatomy/Etc will give a slight boost) :(

You won't notice a massive difference by going human (other than the lack of 20 mana) over elf but if you look at your damage range (from stat bar) with the same exact weapon/suit equipped you will notice the Human will have a point or 2 overall higher range (this drove me crazy I couldn't figure out how that was possible). My human samp has a really good suit so I don't really miss the 20 mana unless there is no slayer/ I dont get honor on whatever I'm fighting but in those cases even my elf will struggle with mana.

As @chester rockwell said though it's pretty negligible getting the JOAT bonus because even though the damage range is higher... most of the time both of my samps are hitting for the same damage on average. The extra 2hp damage I might do every 10hits wouldn't be enough for me to tell someone they needed to go human.