• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How to Save Your Journal (by request)

• Thread starter Dor of Sonoma
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

Dor of Sonoma

Unfortunately, simply checking the option on your paperdoll will accomplish nothing. :)

In order to save the text file of your journal, you must first establish a path in your UO directory. The following system is what has worked for me:

You first need to find your UO directory, which on many systems may be C:\Program Files\Ultima Online, or C:\EA GAMES\Ultima Online (that one gave me huge problems, and didn't work) or something similar. On my system, it happens to be C:\Ultima Online, so I will use that as my example.

1. Open your UO Directory, noting the path it uses. (C:\Ultima Online, in this case)

2. Create a new folder in your UO Directory. Label it Journal. (C:\Ultima Online\Journal, so far)

3. Open the folder and create an empty text file. Label it Journal.txt (C:\Ultima Online\Journal\Journal.txt)

4. Open the uo.cfg file in your UO Directory (use Notepad to open). Apply these settings:
SaveJournal=on
JournalSaveUnicode=off
and then add the following line:
JournalSaveFile=C:\Ultima Online\Journal\Journal.txt (this being whatever path pertains in your particular case)

5. Close the uo.cfg, click Okay on save changes.

You may wish to also apply the same settings to your character's personal file, which can be found in the Desktop folder under accountname/shard/character name (each a seperate folder) Within the character's folder, you will find 5 files, one of which is the uo.cfg for that individual character. Apply the same settings as you did in the main uo.cfg file, close it and click Okay to save changes.

You should be good to go. There are other methods and paths (for instance, Grond used C:\temp\grondjournal.txt for his JournalSaveFile= path), but this is the one I was taught and it works for me.

The advantage of having the folder is that I can easily find it to check on the text file, which can fill up quite rapidly. A meg a week is not unusual...so keep an eye on it. You can either edit it, delete portions, move the entire text file to another location when you feel it's large enough (just by dragging and dropping it), or save it to floppy. If you do move the text file, just create another empty Journal.txt file within the folder, and the path will continue, uninterrupted.

Hope this helped. :)

S

SpyderOfSonoma

Great info Dor and Theresa! Most people don't realize this extra step is necessary until they really need something from a past log and realize it was never created!

I

imported_Queen Mum

<font color=00008B>We have a question that hopefully someone can answer.
We get these strange little square boxes where spaces are suppose to be.
We have tried changing our text preferences but that didn't work.
So we re-save it and edit with word and then scan/edit ...
Hope somone can help
Thank You /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

D

Dor of Sonoma

Probably a unicode glitch. *shudders*

Make certain that any unicode options are either UNchecked or read 'off'.

(when I actually wake up this morn, I may have a better answer ;-)

S

SpyderOfSonoma

Yeah, I have the same problem.. when I turn off Unicode, then there's a space between every single character, turned on, I get those nasty little boxes.. I've been told that it's a problem while in 3D, but haven't had a chance to try it in 2D yet to verify.

P

Poppy

I play in 2d exclusively, and I get those little boxes in my journal from time to time (I use UOJC). Usually it's just for a few lines, then it switches back to normal. Weird. I've never worried about it too much though because it's only a dozen lines once in a while.

L

Lady Vixen

Hey Sir Scott, you ask how to save it, I found Dor post on it.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
ok this will not work with win 10, tried to set it up as explain above, so any smart people out there that can help this old fart?

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Unfortunately, simply checking the option on your paperdoll will accomplish nothing. :)

In order to save the text file of your journal, you must first establish a path in your UO directory. The following system is what has worked for me:

You first need to find your UO directory, which on many systems may be C:\Program Files\Ultima Online, or C:\EA GAMES\Ultima Online (that one gave me huge problems, and didn't work) or something similar. On my system, it happens to be C:\Ultima Online, so I will use that as my example.

1. Open your UO Directory, noting the path it uses. (C:\Ultima Online, in this case)

2. Create a new folder in your UO Directory. Label it Journal. (C:\Ultima Online\Journal, so far)

3. Open the folder and create an empty text file. Label it Journal.txt (C:\Ultima Online\Journal\Journal.txt)

4. Open the uo.cfg file in your UO Directory (use Notepad to open). Apply these settings:
SaveJournal=on
JournalSaveUnicode=off
and then add the following line:
JournalSaveFile=C:\Ultima Online\Journal\Journal.txt (this being whatever path pertains in your particular case)

5. Close the uo.cfg, click Okay on save changes.

You may wish to also apply the same settings to your character's personal file, which can be found in the Desktop folder under accountname/shard/character name (each a seperate folder) Within the character's folder, you will find 5 files, one of which is the uo.cfg for that individual character. Apply the same settings as you did in the main uo.cfg file, close it and click Okay to save changes.

You should be good to go. There are other methods and paths (for instance, Grond used C:\temp\grondjournal.txt for his JournalSaveFile= path), but this is the one I was taught and it works for me.

The advantage of having the folder is that I can easily find it to check on the text file, which can fill up quite rapidly. A meg a week is not unusual...so keep an eye on it. You can either edit it, delete portions, move the entire text file to another location when you feel it's large enough (just by dragging and dropping it), or save it to floppy. If you do move the text file, just create another empty Journal.txt file within the folder, and the path will continue, uninterrupted.