• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How to quit UO in 11 easy steps!

Conleth

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Awards
1. Log in your house to discover this at the tiny house next door:

parrot problemb.jpg

This results in you not being able to access some chests, or customize with ease as the parrot hoard continuously loads on your screen with every step, yay!

parrot problema.jpg

2. Politely page a GM regarding above.

3. Have your page ignored, not responded to.

4. As a result of above, decide to move house. The owner of above pictured property just isn't coming to the
party with respect to the bills you've sent for parrot poo roof clean-up!

5. Stand for a very long time at an idoc and place a new home away from the parrots. Yay!

6. Resize the small placement home you used as a place mat by saying 'I wish to resize my house', and
have another player place on your reserved spot in under 16 minutes! Yay!

7. Politely page a GM regarding issue 6 and the game play stopping bugs.

8. Have your page ignored, not responded to.

9. Email Broadsword for help regarding the new non parrot house that you won't be moving into and resize
issue.

10. Have Broadsword send you a canned response with a 'do-not-reply' return email address, yay!

11. Have 'account bound' shard shields drop in an idoc, and politely page a GM to recover them only to be
told that they are account bound by virtue of the fact that only your account can own them!

There you have it my friends - 11 easy peasy steps to ensure your Ultima Online gameplay is well and truly over!

Thank you folks, for the very fond memories. I haven't posted terribly often, though I'm a legendary lurker here. It's been a blast!

Cheers

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am so sorry. They read this forum, well two do. Maybe they will help you. I hope so.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Very sorry to hear your predicament. Have you considered emailing Mesanna directly?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
1. Log in your house to discover this at the tiny house next door:

View attachment 97699

This results in you not being able to access some chests, or customize with ease as the parrot hoard continuously loads on your screen with every step, yay!

View attachment 97700

2. Politely page a GM regarding above.

3. Have your page ignored, not responded to.

4. As a result of above, decide to move house. The owner of above pictured property just isn't coming to the
party with respect to the bills you've sent for parrot poo roof clean-up!

5. Stand for a very long time at an idoc and place a new home away from the parrots. Yay!

6. Resize the small placement home you used as a place mat by saying 'I wish to resize my house', and
have another player place on your reserved spot in under 16 minutes! Yay!

7. Politely page a GM regarding issue 6 and the game play stopping bugs.

8. Have your page ignored, not responded to.

9. Email Broadsword for help regarding the new non parrot house that you won't be moving into and resize
issue.

10. Have Broadsword send you a canned response with a 'do-not-reply' return email address, yay!

11. Have 'account bound' shard shields drop in an idoc, and politely page a GM to recover them only to be
told that they are account bound by virtue of the fact that only your account can own them!

There you have it my friends - 11 easy peasy steps to ensure your Ultima Online gameplay is well and truly over!

Thank you folks, for the very fond memories. I haven't posted terribly often, though I'm a legendary lurker here. It's been a blast!

Cheers
Happy tidings..

You are over-reacting. These are no reasons to quit by any stretch. There are far more important ones, like: Real Life no time to play the game, I cannot afford to pay the sub anymore, and similar things.
You are playing an MMO with your own expectations, of another player not having parrots etc, your house and GM's not responding to non-critical issues.

There are many solutions to what you perceive as a problem here.
But you are angry, don't want to calm down and see solutions to these.
You are "fed up", because of house issues. This game is not about houses only.

I'd like to see how you will respond to the new and better game you will be going to.
"Free shards"? Or WOW? Or ? Surprise surprise .. Grass looks greener on the other side, until you are there!

A lot of people are super-entitled, and then post like this and present the ultimate threat:
"I quit the game" because --
"I cannot place my house correctly"
"The update messed up my house deco"
"I cannot get my PS at Fel due to PKing"
"I hate cheating/cheaters"
"I cannot get a Bane Dragon or Dread"
"My next door neighbor's Parrots"
"Fill in the gaps here"

Sry fed up with all the entitlement, and need for instant gratification.

Then come HERE and advertise the quitting. Hoping maybe will drag a few people down with them, and they then all say "awwww, what a terrible thing" I will quit too.
Why don't you go to the UO board and post this? Maybe the Devs will see it there, and maybe something POSITIVE will happen. But I doubt you are quitting otherwise you would have posted there. :devil:

If you really quit with due respect:

Good luck to you sire and don't let the door hit you as you exit!

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Happy tidings..

You are over-reacting. These are no reasons to quit by any stretch. There are far more important ones, like: Real Life no time to play the game, I cannot afford to pay the sub anymore, and similar things.
You are playing an MMO with your own expectations, of another player not having parrots etc, your house and GM's not responding to non-critical issues.

I'd like to see how you will respond to the new and better game you will be going to.
"Free shards"? Or WOW? Or ? Surprise surprise .. Grass looks greener on the other side, until you are there!

A lot of people are super-entitled, and then post like this and present the ultimate threat:
"Fill in the gaps here"

Then come HERE and advertise the quitting. Hoping maybe will drag a few people down with them, and they then all say "awwww, what a terrible thing" I will quit too.
Why don't you go to the UO board and post this? Maybe the Devs will see it there, and maybe something POSITIVE will happen. But I doubt you are quitting otherwise you would have posted there. :devil:

Also :

I thought that the next door house's contents are not supposed to load, and 99% time do not load unless you step in that house and load its contents?
It is obvious you are trying to place a NEW home next to the Parrot house. Don't place it there. Advertise you looking for a house plot, or look for another plot. Buy a plot, find a spot and place one. Are you on Atl?
I will help you find one. What shard are you on?
Many of us can get you a plot, just ask here. I for one will be willing to help you, I am sure there are others. Its just so much nonsense to quit on because of "house"..
Sry for my stern previous post but fed up with "quitting", and GM not responding. we have all accepted these as realities of UO life. And none of us like to see people leaving esp due to nonsense or easily resolvable issues. We can help you get a house spot elsewhere.
Again what shard are you on? Will GIVE you an new spot, we can try..

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Happy tidings..

"Fill in the gaps here"

@celticus I couldn't have said it better myself. I've found myself starting to hate you less and less over the last couple of days. Is there something wrong with me? We're still not on hugging terms or anything and I'll definitely murder you should we ever meet, but your new attitude is a step in the right direction.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Also :

I thought that the next door house's contents are not supposed to load, and 99% time do not load unless you step in that house and load its contents?
It is obvious you are trying to place a NEW home next to the Parrot house. Don't place it there. Advertise you looking for a house plot, or look for another plot. Buy a plot, find a spot and place one. Are you on Atl?
Many of us can get you a plot, just ask here. I for one will be willing to help you, I am sure there are others. Its just so much nonsense to quit on because of "house"..
Sry for my stern previous post but fed up with "quitting", and GM not responding. we have all accepted these as realities of UO life. And none of us like to see people leaving esp due to nonsense or easily resolvable issues. We can help you get a house spot elsewhere.
And then you went and screwed up the whole thing... **** I hate you.

Also:

WTB 100 parrots and a map to @celticus' house.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Attitudes like Stinky Petes and Celticus are exactly the reason UO is dying...

Farewell, @Conleth I would have tried Emailing Mesanna if I were you... but at this point rather a moot point.

Personally, I get the frustration... But I have to wonder how did your house with the shields fall? Was it due to your neglect? Was it due to you playing roulette with your accounts? Why? If you let it fall that's on you and you alone. Houses don't just randomly fall you have to have not paid your account in some time for it to fall.

Personally, if it were my home I would have resubbed the account and placed a new house anywhere and had my **** moved in a heartbeat...

But then I don't play roulette with my accounts I pay each and every one of them all the time...

Conleth

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Also :

'I thought that the next door house's contents are not supposed to load, and 99% time do not load unless you step in that house and load its contents?'
That would have been very helpful! I have never stepped into that house. It loads, regardless. And repeatedly, whenever I've stepped back and forth in my own home without stepping foot outside.

I appreciate the offer of a house - in fact the person that ended up placing, after discovering what happened (where I had a 'reserve' of an hour when I resized my house) offered to give me my house back, though I declined. Like many, I've been in UO for a long time, and I've placed a fair few houses...and if inclined I imagine with a bit of time I could again. It's more so the lack of care regarding potential game breaking bugs. Game breaking for my particular gaming style, at least.

I understand that we all may have different play styles; for those that love Fel, enjoy! For those that love Tram, enjoy! My particular fun focused around customizing and designing. If I can't do that, the game just holds little interest. It's simply what I've paid to play.

With respect to what games I'll play? Well I play a ton of them, from Rocket League to Planet Coaster, Elder Scrolls to Exanima and more. UO was the first to have engaging housing and design, though it's not the last and only.

'It is obvious you are trying to place a NEW home next to the Parrot house.'

You, sir, are mistaken. I've lived in that particular spot for longer than I care to remember. That small parrot house popped up at some point not terribly long ago. When I tired of waiting for the parrot names to load and fall away when accessing the Eastern section of my property, I decided to try to customize my way around them, though they continue to load even in that mode. I'll remind you that I've not so much as stepped outside my home.

For those asking if I've messaged Mesanna, I did send out a brief email, perhaps she'll get back to me and that would be just fine. I don't expect it, though it would show some level of care.

Cheers!

Conleth

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Awards
... I have to wonder how did your house with the shields fall? Was it due to your neglect?
That's a good question - I moved internationally and switching payment methods proved more challenging than I had expected. I was eventually able to grab time code though too late for the shields. Everything else in game is replaceable, though the shields are not.

Cheers

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also :

Did you miss the part where they lost their shard shields? That's 14 years per shield. I'd be tempted to quit if that happened to me as well.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

Farewell, @Conleth I would have tried Emailing Mesanna if I were you... but at this point rather a moot point.

Personally, I get the frustration... But I have to wonder how did your house with the shields fall? Was it due to your neglect? Was it due to you playing roulette with your accounts? Why? If you let it fall that's on you and you alone. Houses don't just randomly fall you have to have not paid your account in some time for it to fall.

Personally, if it were my home I would have resubbed the account and placed a new house anywhere and had my **** moved in a heartbeat...

But then I don't play roulette with my accounts I pay each and every one of them all the time...
Actually @Malag what bugs me most is posting it HERE. Not the "main" UO forum.
And not explaining what exactly happened. Likely the players fault. Like not paying the sub, then logging in with a new account and expecting to get SShields back. not in game mechanics fo far. And implying that the game is "so bad" the player quits.
Player is not saying "Can I get some help to get a new house plot", "how can I get my old account back" etc. They are saying "I quit already, I have had it with the game", and post it HERE. If they came earlier and said can some one here help me? I am sure there would be 5-10 people volunteering to help find a house plot, but no way to get the SS for the NEW account. Also could ask HERE, like other people have done "My house was XX location, went IDOC" If some one has my shields, I would like them back as they have NO USE for them? etc.etc. Too high and mighty to ask THEN for help here?
Not too long ago we had another player posting here : "I quit because I get PK'd when I go to get my PS for my pets". Another griefer about game mechanics in place for as long as we can remember. That one I believe posted in the "main" UO board also.

The reason for my ranting :

It is ALWAYS PAINFUL to see another player go, especially when they post the WRONG reasons, and blame it on established and accepted game mechanics, the GM's and Parrots in the next house.
In a way the OP is implying: "I messed up, the game mechanics are not what I had envisioned, the GM's did not come instantly to alter game mechanics to my wishes, so s**ew you, your game, your game mechanics, the GM responsiveness to my unreasonable requests, and the game altogether", "I quit".
Are we not understanding what happened? or are we supposed to cry about it? I doubt it.
As I said : LOTS of people here would be willing to help, with any type of assistance to prevent the quitting if at all possible.

Sorry but quitting should be for better reasons than this. There may be, but the OP is not posting them. The reasons posted are NOT good enough. Example of good reasons :

=Real life issues, any and all.
=I think the game is too hard for me. I can no longer deal with the grind, and the countless hours that I feel I need to do content.
=I have gotten too old for this game.
=I have been playing XX game for YY time and I like it better, makes me feel better etc.
=I have become so addicted to this and similar games, that my RL is affected.
=Etc etc. You get the picture.

Hardly EVER having posted here, and then coming in with this ultimatum?
Does not sound right at all.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Did you miss the part where they lost their shard shields? That's 14 years per shield. I'd be tempted to quit if that happened to me as well.
Yes, but its game mechanics, well-established. They could ask PLAYERS if some1 have them. Or they should not let the account/house expire. Also any one can say they lost SS if they have gone to dust, how can any one GM retrieve them? Requests to GMs have to be reasonable and absolutely credible/provable.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
That would have been very helpful! I have never stepped into that house. It loads, regardless. And repeatedly, whenever I've stepped back and forth in my own home without stepping foot outside.

I appreciate the offer of a house - in fact the person that ended up placing, after discovering what happened (where I had a 'reserve' of an hour when I resized my house) offered to give me my house back, though I declined. Like many, I've been in UO for a long time, and I've placed a fair few houses...and if inclined I imagine with a bit of time I could again. It's more so the lack of care regarding potential game breaking bugs. Game breaking for my particular gaming style, at least.

I understand that we all may have different play styles; for those that love Fel, enjoy! For those that love Tram, enjoy! My particular fun focused around customizing and designing. If I can't do that, the game just holds little interest. It's simply what I've paid to play.

With respect to what games I'll play? Well I play a ton of them, from Rocket League to Planet Coaster, Elder Scrolls to Exanima and more. UO was the first to have engaging housing and design, though it's not the last and only.

'It is obvious you are trying to place a NEW home next to the Parrot house.'

You, sir, are mistaken. I've lived in that particular spot for longer than I care to remember. That small parrot house popped up at some point not terribly long ago. When I tired of waiting for the parrot names to load and fall away when accessing the Eastern section of my property, I decided to try to customize my way around them, though they continue to load even in that mode. I'll remind you that I've not so much as stepped outside my home.

For those asking if I've messaged Mesanna, I did send out a brief email, perhaps she'll get back to me and that would be just fine. I don't expect it, though it would show some level of care.

Cheers!
The person next door with the Parrots has a bug, that allows them to show in-house contents. The bamboo flooring bug supposedly has been fixed. So there must be another bug. Let the Devs/GMs know, and be patient a little bit. Don't quit.
I for one will personally help you get a new house if in ATL or GL, any time. Just let me know, PM or otherwise. But don't quit on account of . this. Not worth it. Please don't quit, if you have NOT done so already!

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
The person next door with the Parrots has a bug, that allows them to show in-house contents. The bamboo flooring bug supposedly has been fixed. So there must be another bug. Let the Devs/GMs know, and be patient a little bit. Don't quit.
I for one will personally help you get a new house if in ATL or GL, any time. Just let me know, PM or otherwise. But don't quit on account of . this. Not worth it. Please don't quit, if you have NOT done so already!
It is obvious that there IS a bug in the Parrot house! I would report this if I were you to both @mesana and the GM. It should be addressed imo. My offer still stands.
DON'T QUIT unless you have better reasons.

Conleth

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Actually @Malag what bugs me most is posting it HERE. Not the "main" UO forum.
And not explaining what exactly happened. Likely the players fault. Like not paying the sub, then logging in with a new account and expecting to get SShields back. not in game mechanics fo far. And implying that the game is "so bad" the player quits.
Player is not saying "Can I get some help to get a new house plot", "how can I get my old account back" etc. They are saying "I quit already, I have had it with the game", and post it HERE. If they came earlier and said can some one here help me? I am sure there would be 5-10 people volunteering to help find a house plot, but no way to get the SS for the NEW account. Also could ask HERE, like other people have done "My house was XX location, went IDOC" If some one has my shields, I would like them back as they have NO USE for them? etc.etc. Too high and mighty to ask THEN for help here?
Not too long ago we had another player posting here : "I quit because I get PK'd when I go to get my PS for my pets". Another griefer about game mechanics in place for as long as we can remember. That one I believe posted in the "main" UO board also.

The reason for my ranting :

It is ALWAYS PAINFUL to see another player go, especially when they post the WRONG reasons, and blame it on established and accepted game mechanics, the GM's and Parrots in the next house.
In a way the OP is implying: "I messed up, the game mechanics are not what I had envisioned, the GM's did not come instantly to alter game mechanics to my wishes, so s**ew you, your game, your game mechanics, the GM responsiveness to my unreasonable requests, and the game altogether", "I quit".
Are we not understanding what happened? or are we supposed to cry about it? I doubt it.
As I said : LOTS of people here would be willing to help, with any type of assistance to prevent the quitting if at all possible.

Sorry but quitting should be for better reasons than this. There may be, but the OP is not posting them. The reasons posted are NOT good enough. Example of good reasons :

=Real life issues, any and all.
=I think the game is too hard for me. I can no longer deal with the grind, and the countless hours that I feel I need to do content.
=I have gotten too old for this game.
=I have been playing XX game for YY time and I like it better, makes me feel better etc.
=I have become so addicted to this and similar games, that my RL is affected.
=Etc etc. You get the picture.

Hardly EVER having posted here, and then coming in with this ultimatum?
Does not sound right at all.
I can't imagine there would ever be a 'wrong reason', or a 'right reason' to play a game. Play, or don't play, because you want and enjoy. That's seems a simple concept to me.

With respect to forum posting; I have enjoyed Stratics for longer than I can remember. It's changed since I was first a member (changed hands a number of times as well as style); I think my original account information may not have transferred. Regardless, I've been engaged, in some capacity, with Stratics for many years. I truly enjoy the forums, and expect to continue to do so.

However, the UO forums (back again, are they?), have been spotty. That is to say that they didn't exist, then existed, then didn't, and evidently they exist again now. Whereas; Stratics has been a constant companion.
It didn't even occur to me to seek out UO Forums, Stratics has been and is my go to.

Whilst the offer for help from fellow players is appreciated, I don't see how anyone here would be or have been able to. Shard shields are account bound, what on earth could the good people here do with respect to that?

The house issues, well as I said, if I were inclined I imagine placing another house wouldn't be terribly hard to do (if not a little boring). It's the simple fact that at the moment I can't rely on the game mechanics. If the game mechanics aren't functioning, and UO chooses not to look at the issue, then I've no choice but not to play. The game is broken. If I were, say, a fencer, and my character could not hold a katana in hand, that too would be an issue. Perhaps house placement/sizing/customizing/decorating is the smaller percentage of the player base, but we are a percentage. Our dime is worth the same as everyone else's dime.

I understand we may have different gaming styles and I hope you continue to enjoy the game for a good many years to come.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I'm sorry you lost your stuff, items lost through known game bugs or faulty game mechanics should be replaced, they would be replaced in other games. I've even had items I accidentally deleted or I bought the wrong item, refunded or replaced in other games, items that I paid real money for in the game store, they didn't have to replace/refund them but they did as a goodwill gesture.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Did you try to revive the old account? If so, then it is possible that at the house IDOC when it happened some one looted them, may still have them, and of course not able to use them, just using as deco I suppose. I would revive the old account as an EJ account for FREE and see what you got in the bank etc. Then If there are good things in there consider changing from EJ to sub, so you get your items. In that case, like said, some one may STILL have the SS you never know. And it would be the same account the SS were created for, so you may be able to find them and use them. It may take a little time to find the person who has them, but still possible in theory, unless they fell on ground and nobody picked them up.
Game mechanics have been there for a while. This game is far better than lots of others out there. Deco is a well-established specialty here and well-respected, and its not 2-3 people, likely hundreds or more. Just look at some of the stunning houses and you will see that people have a ton of fun doing that.
We are all surviving with the game mechanics, and COMPROMISE. You can do the same thing, I am sure.
Also from your posts I sense that you are an extremely nice person, and fit in our community best.
Community is what mostly what keeps us together and in the game here, goofy graphics, and limping mechanics and all. We care for one another including @Stinky Pete even, and would do anything to help.
Quitting would be a mistake imo. I hope you stay, and like said, would be an honor to help you in any way.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Did you try to revive the old account? If so, then it is possible that at the house IDOC when it happened some one looted them, may still have them, and of course not able to use them, just using as deco I suppose. I would revive the old account as an EJ account for FREE and see what you got in the bank etc. Then If there are good things in there consider changing from EJ to sub, so you get your items. In that case, like said, some one may STILL have the SS you never know. And it would be the same account the SS were created for, so you may be able to find them and use them. It may take a little time to find the person who has them, but still possible in theory, unless they fell on ground and nobody picked them up.
Game mechanics have been there for a while. This game is far better than lots of others out there. Deco is a well-established specialty here and well-respected, and its not 2-3 people, likely hundreds or more. Just look at some of the stunning houses and you will see that people have a ton of fun doing that.
We are all surviving with the game mechanics, and COMPROMISE. You can do the same thing, I am sure.
Also from your posts I sense that you are an extremely nice person, and fit in our community best.
Community is what mostly what keeps us together and in the game here, goofy graphics, and limping mechanics and all. We care for one another including @Stinky Pete even, and would do anything to help.
Quitting would be a mistake imo. I hope you stay, and like said, would be an honor to help you in any way.
Most likely they were picked up by the script looter who won't do much other than throwing them in the trash as they aren't worth anything to anyone and won't sell... you know this right?

Most likely wasn't a decent person who would save them and return them to their owner... most likely it was someone interested in turning a buck... Sad truth of IDOCs anymore.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'd say the "wah wah wah I'm quitting" attitude causes more people to quit than mine. I try to promote exploration and adventure rather than the gimme gimme gimme attitude that so many of you have. Posts like this, as @celticus said, do nothing more than attempt to solicit sympathy at best and cause outrage at worst. Normally I wouldn't even comment on a thread like this but I just had to comment on @celticus' award-winning attitude change as I normally hate everything that comes out of his mouth.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Just witnessed something interesting sitting the seats in the tamer area in ATL luna.
There was this guy obviously not very well to do tamer, asking if some one has toss away Tritons. Another guy came there pulled some tritons out did not say anything, and just released-deleted a few. Not everyone is community aware I reckon..LOL.
Another guy came shortly thereafter and offered the homeless player a plot for a home.
Its still a community. It really takes all kinds..It is still fun.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also any one can say they lost SS if they have gone to dust, how can any one GM retrieve them? Requests to GMs have to be reasonable and absolutely credible/provable.
There is such thing as server logs. No need to take anyone's word for anything. But at some point, UO made a policy not to restore lost items and pets. This was not made because they could not tell who had what (they can), but because with the multitude of bugs, it would take a ton of GM time just to restore lost stuff. This policy is somewhat bearable when you lose small things. But when you lose stuff that takes years to acquire and GMs refuse to help as a matter of policy, it becomes really hard to maintain good will towards the game.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just witnessed something interesting sitting the seats in the tamer area in ATL luna.
There was this guy obviously not very well to do tamer, asking if some one has toss away Tritons. Another guy came there pulled some tritons out did not say anything, and just released-deleted a few. Not everyone is community aware I reckon..LOL.
One thing I came to realize in playing some sandbox games (mostly EVE and UO) is that there is a large number of people who derive pleasure from bringing misery to others. Often they are quite normal in RL because they learned the consequences of antisocial behavior, but it comes out in gruesome intensity in online games. There is probably good 10 percent of population who are like that, and another 20-30% who are simply indifferent.

Last edited:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
About the parrots: they're mobiles (even though they don't really move...), thus they will always show just like vendors.

Turning off incoming names would have helped with some of the the visual spam.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
About the parrots: they're mobiles (even though they don't really move...), thus they will always show just like vendors.

Then the Devs need to change them from "mobiles" to what they really are: Non-mobiles. Less lag and annoyance for others. Leave vendors alone. Also vendors don't squack every so often polluting the screen with spam, they show their spam only as you approach them.
IT IS A BUG for the squakers to spam the screen on and on and create processing and LAG. It should be fixed.

Conleth

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Awards

I hadn't thought of that, though I'ld use all names running about looking for vendors/deco. Perhaps a maximum number of parrots per square would be wise (just as there's a maximum number of vendors depending on size of the house). It's either a 7x7 or 8, and has more than 150 (could be closer to 170). There seems to be one on every tile and every floor (including a fourth floor from raising them up a level with a tool or whatnot). I can't know precisely how many as the house is private.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I hadn't thought of that, though I'ld use all names running about looking for vendors/deco. Perhaps a maximum number of parrots per square would be wise (just as there's a maximum number of vendors depending on size of the house). It's either a 7x7 or 8, and has more than 150 (could be closer to 170). There seems to be one on every tile and every floor (including a fourth floor from raising them up a level with a tool or whatnot). I can't know precisely how many as the house is private.
So @Conleth did you quit already? Can you NOT quit and give the game a little more time? Or is it too late to discuss trying to help you through this already?
( OK @Stinky Pete, now you can hate me more..Back to normal I reckon..)

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So @Conleth did you quit already? Can you NOT quit and give the game a little more time? Or is it too late to discuss trying to help you through this already?
( OK @Stinky Pete, now you can hate me more..Back to normal I reckon..)
@celticus I think you got me all wrong. I certainly don't want anyone to quit and if you want to try to convince this person not to, that's great. I don't hate you any more for trying to help this person and I hope you succeed. I am actually a huge fan of UO fiction and this person seems to be as well, it's sad to see them go. My only issue with you is how quickly you offered your time and/or gold as a handout even though they should be capable of solving this problem themselves. Had they taken you up on this offer, imagine the feeling of accomplishment you would have cheated them out of by finding or buying them a new plot.

Bad things happen in this game, some are caused by the devs and broken game mechanics and some are caused by bad actors such as myself. But, most bad things are caused by the players themselves doing things that are completely preventable, like letting your house fall and losing your vet rewards. Then the players have the nerve to complain about how the devs need to do something, or try to solicit sympathy and/or handouts from the good players of the community. If you want sympathy, get a dog. If you want handouts, get a job. I don't know the person who posted this or what there intentions are but what good is a thread like this? Who does it help?

A few weeks ago I messed up with my soulstones as I hadn't used them in years. I ended up bringing one skill from 80 to 0 and another from 120 to 80. This was on Siege so it is going to cost me a whole lot of time to get the skills back. I didn't immediately go to stratics to complain. I didn't send the devs an email. I'm not going to quit over it. I said, "well that's a bummer" and moved on. I don't want or need your sympathy or even the SoTs to get my skill back where it was. I'm willing to bet I'll never make that mistake again, perhaps I'll feel good about myself once I get my skills back to where they were.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@celticus I think you got me all wrong. I certainly don't want anyone to quit and if you want to try to convince this person not to, that's great. I don't hate you any more for trying to help this person and I hope you succeed. I am actually a huge fan of UO fiction and this person seems to be as well, it's sad to see them go. My only issue with you is how quickly you offered your time and/or gold as a handout even though they should be capable of solving this problem themselves. Had they taken you up on this offer, imagine the feeling of accomplishment you would have cheated them out of by finding or buying them a new plot.

Bad things happen in this game, some are caused by the devs and broken game mechanics and some are caused by bad actors such as myself. But, most bad things are caused by the players themselves doing things that are completely preventable, like letting your house fall and losing your vet rewards. Then the players have the nerve to complain about how the devs need to do something, or try to solicit sympathy and/or handouts from the good players of the community. If you want sympathy, get a dog. If you want handouts, get a job. I don't know the person who posted this or what there intentions are but what good is a thread like this? Who does it help?

A few weeks ago I messed up with my soulstones as I hadn't used them in years. I ended up bringing one skill from 80 to 0 and another from 120 to 80. This was on Siege so it is going to cost me a whole lot of time to get the skills back. I didn't immediately go to stratics to complain. I didn't send the devs an email. I'm not going to quit over it. I said, "well that's a bummer" and moved on. I don't want or need your sympathy or even the SoTs to get my skill back where it was. I'm willing to bet I'll never make that mistake again, perhaps I'll feel good about myself once I get my skills back to where they were.
Post like this one help the DEVs determine why people quit and hopefully help them fix the issues that make more people quit so it happens less often. Really letting the DEVs know why people become irritated enough with the game to quit especially after having played long enough to get Shard Shields...

If they don't know why people are quitting left and right and can't stem that flood of people leaving then honestly they are failing... If they can know why some folk leave they can perhaps prevent this issue in the future...

We all know that the Account Mismanagement system is a joke. Trying to get in and update things on there is a nightmare. I can't tell you how many people I've coached through getting their accounts reactivated or just getting into the system to update CC information... or change an EMail or something. And I'm not that great for that job but I stick with it and keep trying... I know dozens of folk who got so fed up trying they simply said it wasn't worth the effort and without their old beloved account they had no desire to return...

Maybe it's ok for you that people keep quitting... but for me it's not. If I can help someone I will. Now I don't have billions in gold and I surely can't give them a house... but I can outfit them with a decent enough suit (not by any means top of the line) to work some skills and get back in the game and out of outdated gear... I also give out tons of deco items as well as manakin deeds, heritage tokens and loads of other things. Sure some of them are more than likely xsharders... but some of them are indeed new and returning players looking to getting back into the game.

Sadly the game has become so grindy and things have changed so very much that many of the returning players get discouraged quickly and quit again... or they run into the same old scam/scripting crap that got them fed up with the game before and see that "nothing has changed" in that respect... and get irritated and quit again... can't blame them. But many of them are kind enough to return whatever I gave them and move on...

There are many reasons people quit... some of which have little to nothing to do with UO... those are the folk that might return someday... at least we all hope so.

It's the one who get seriously irritated with the system and sometimes the people that we won't ever get back. Those are the ones we need to know why quit... so it can be prevented.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The proper way to let the devs know of an issue is through email with specific details, not by posting vague stories on a forum. Y'all had to kinda pry out the details of what really happened here. I get that the "account mismanagement" is terrible and I get why this would be frustrating but this wasn't the way to deal with it.

I would prefer to see works of fiction that make people want to play rather than ones that make people want to quit. @Conleth is much better at the former and not so much the latter. As someone who appreciates their previous work I hope to see them continue playing and producing great content for years to come.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Someone has to have said "can I have your stuff" - even if kidding.

If not I'm gonna break with tradition. I DON'T want what's left of your stuff!

There ... that'll fix 'em all ... parrot crap and all.

Maker2014

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why all the extra steps.
Step 1: Uninstall UO
Step 2: Play Farmville
Yes but the OP has a few points, that are being missed :
--> A bug, that allows Mr. Parrot house to spam his parrots 24/7.
--> A valid concern about losing shard shields to IDOC. Maybe it will be more enticing if such items upon collapse of the house automatically go to the bank vault, and only these items, as no-one else can use them ever, except the original account owner if and when they get back into the game.

Also the OP from their posts, sounds like a good, honest person. They are hard to come by. Bad to lose someone like that from the game. The Devs should be able to prevent SS loss. It is a valuable 14 year vet award, and very desirable by many players. Especially someone who dedicated not 1-4 but FOURTEEN years to this game.

Sellingahouse

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I find it really sad this person is leaving, I really love their house deco style. They have many houses and one is the little 50's style burger shop. It used to be west of luna now its north of minoc. Its one of the houses I step on when I run by to visit because its just so cute. This person has also played more than 20 years. The house by the parrots is a few screens north of the burger shop. The houses they resized are by some of their other houses on the water far away, heck they even have a house by some of mine.

It wasn't one thing that made them decide to leave. The tipping point was (I think) when they said I wish to resize my house and someone came and placed there. He called a gm and it took almost 2 days for the gm to show. Not the gms fault or Conleths.

If someone is yelling in chat that they have waited hours for gm I always try to get the person to say what the problem is in case some player knows how to fix it. I tried to help and I just frustrated them more and that wasn't any help at all. I can understand why they are not posting exactly what happened because it just doesn't matter to them anymore and most would start asking the same question I did. like did you really say that? are you sure? you got the window thing up? was it over an hour? They knew they didn't do anything wrong. They had 2 houses right next to each other, resized at the same time and died once doing this. Dying doesn't mess with the resizing timer but maybe 2 houses next to each other resizing at same time, very close to a server line? I really do not know.

I have no reason to doubt what they said and its kind of a scary situation I never want to find myself in. If its a some weird bug we probably need to figure it out and get it fixed so this doesn't happen to others.

After talking with them, I told them i would buy that plot or see if owner would drop it. The owner already told them they could have that plot. I asked them to please not leave and just take a break for awhile. Conleth has played UO forever and I really wish they would just log out for a month or so.

Sorry for the long post. Also sorry I dont have 10k post already on the forums. I guess I should also say I mostly play for my houses. I want everyone to enjoy the game and be nice to each other. Don't leave Conleth please.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They had 2 houses right next to each other, resized at the same time
I'd be willing to bet that this was the issue. Resizing 2 adjacent plots at the same time, one would almost have to cancel out the land reservation on the other, or cancel out both. It actually doesn't seem to be a bug at all when I think about it. It sucks to have to learn the lesson the hard way and couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
Hey, when you gotta go, you gotta go. This was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm sure he's been thinking of leaving for years. I've lost stuff before when I re-customized my house, it happens.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, but its game mechanics, well-established. They could ask PLAYERS if someone has them. Or they should not let the account/house expire. Also any one can say they lost SS if they have gone to dust, how can any one GM retrieve them? Requests to GMs have to be reasonable and absolutely credible/provable.
The chances are the OP won't get his shard shield back. As for Mesanna short of lighting a fire under her royal hineyness, she don't do squat. Even when she does do something she's pretty much a toothless pit bull...Lotta barking but no bite. As someone who does programming and has a BS in Network Administration I can tell you that each item has an identifying code. Those that are account linked such as a Vet Rewards would obviously have the account ID as part of that code. There for they should be able to find and return the OP's shard shields. That being said it would take someone with serious old code knowledge, something we don't have on this development team. In fact they seem like they are terrified to touch it. Which I actually can't blame them because messing with spaghetti code is like walking barefoot and blindfolded through a cow pasture...eventually you WILL step in something.

Conleth please don't leave. There are people that will ferry items from shard to shard. I can ferry items from Legends, Atlantic and Great Lakes. I have friends that do Pacific, Cats, Lake Sup, and Chessy. You find what you need and I can help you get it home. I got too much crap on Legends gimme your shopping list I might have stuff you need.

:hug::hug::hug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::hug::hug::hug:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have all the Sheilds to all the shards (save of course Siege and Mugen as those are pointless)... and can and will help people who need to get things moved. I do it often and without charge... Usually, it's an excuse for me to go pick up some of my gift junk from whatever shards I go to... don't really go anywhere anyway.

But unless you used them to buy up everything off other shards and ferry it to Atl to sell as I really don't have time for that, I'd be happy to move things from one shard to another for you. I know several folk live on more than one shard.

Good news is if you have several older accounts you'll soon have enough picks to regrow your stash of shields.

Maker2014

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I find it really sad this person is leaving, I really love their house deco style. They have many houses and one is the little 50's style burger shop. It used to be west of luna now its north of minoc. Its one of the houses I step on when I run by to visit because its just so cute. This person has also played more than 20 years. The house by the parrots is a few screens north of the burger shop. The houses they resized are by some of their other houses on the water far away, heck they even have a house by some of mine.

It wasn't one thing that made them decide to leave. The tipping point was (I think) when they said I wish to resize my house and someone came and placed there. He called a gm and it took almost 2 days for the gm to show. Not the gms fault or Conleths.

If someone is yelling in chat that they have waited hours for gm I always try to get the person to say what the problem is in case some player knows how to fix it. I tried to help and I just frustrated them more and that wasn't any help at all. I can understand why they are not posting exactly what happened because it just doesn't matter to them anymore and most would start asking the same question I did. like did you really say that? are you sure? you got the window thing up? was it over an hour? They knew they didn't do anything wrong. They had 2 houses right next to each other, resized at the same time and died once doing this. Dying doesn't mess with the resizing timer but maybe 2 houses next to each other resizing at same time, very close to a server line? I really do not know.

I have no reason to doubt what they said and its kind of a scary situation I never want to find myself in. If its a some weird bug we probably need to figure it out and get it fixed so this doesn't happen to others.

After talking with them, I told them i would buy that plot or see if owner would drop it. The owner already told them they could have that plot. I asked them to please not leave and just take a break for awhile. Conleth has played UO forever and I really wish they would just log out for a month or so.

Sorry for the long post. Also sorry I dont have 10k post already on the forums. I guess I should also say I mostly play for my houses. I want everyone to enjoy the game and be nice to each other. Don't leave Conleth please.
Are we allowed to know the shard name? Is it Baja, Atl etc?

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
WHAT? Are you telling me people have been using these parrot perches as an exploit since 2008? Forcing other people to see their stupid spam and rainbow puke bird colors??????

I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THIS AND I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO. I'm going to personally email mesanna about this EXPLOIT and make sure it gets fixed.

Maybe they can add a toggle for this too!!!!

*sigh*

Conleth

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Awards
For those that might be interested (a wink and a nod at any lurking DEVS); the parrot hoard house is on Atlantic North of Minoc @ 135, 32N x 90, 46E and aptly named 'The Parrot Trap' haha.

parrot parade.jpg

The house resizing issue, as @Sellingahouse replied regarding, did happen when: I had died very shortly after requesting the resize (fresh/sudden troll spawned on top of me), I had resized another small house directly adjacent (on my other account), though I had waited more than an hour and a half before resizing the house I ultimately lost (within 16 minutes of resizing), and yes the two plots are really near a server line. I can't think of anything else that was unusual or that might help.

Cheers for all the input here, folks, it's very deeply appreciated!

Edited to add image

Last edited:

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That parrot house is obscene. While the parrots may not be an exploit themselves, they do indeed violate the house rule of items and add-ons NOT loading unless you enter the house.

That house owner though, is most definitely EXPLOITING the mechanic of how parrots are displayed. Running around and then into that mess can be like hitting a wall. In Felucca the lag is more than enough to end up dead if being pursued by an enemy.

The ONLY thing that makes any sense to me to be visible automatically is vendors. Nothing else makes any sense. Certainly not parrots and mannequins. Maybe there's an argument for the auction safes to be visible but then you still get players abusing that having 100 of them in one house.

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
SS and soulstones are account bound. They should not decay or be able to be destroyed by other than the owners. At best they should be placed in a safe or something, waiting for that player to come back, and offer THAT extra enticement to the player to COME and stay back, hopefully. They do not impact the rares in any way, or the loot etc. This is something worth it for Devs to work on sometime, as is the un-intended spamming of parrots and other similar items to the parrots.
@Conleth now that you brought these issues into the open, maybe the Devs will look at this and hopefully get to these.
Our collective advice here is not to quit. Stay on board and don't be bashful about bringing up concerns, and as mentioned it will be a pleasure to help in any way, and most of us here feel the same way.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Step 12: Write a blog on forums.
Step 13: Continue to visit forums like <--- and stalk people and make fun of their posts.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
It is obvious that there IS a bug in the Parrot house! I would report this if I were you to both @mesana and the GM. It should be addressed imo. My offer still stands.
DON'T QUIT unless you have better reasons.
It is not a bug "per se": Parrots are "always loading items" as Toon Statues (less the pedestal), Mannequins and Vendors are. The problem here is that the OP neighbour clearly has a SERIOUS complulsive-ossessive issue concerning collecting said parrots....

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
There's an easier way to quit UO. Just delete your scripts folder and you simply will not want to "play" again.