• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tailoring] How To Make 70 Resist Leather Armor?

• Thread starter Spaylaywitheepee
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
S

Spaylaywitheepee

I'm somewhat new at tailoring and I'm wondering how to make 70 resist armor. I have GM Tailoring and Arms Lore on Siege and when I make exceptional horned leather armor it averages about 60 to all resists. How do some tailors make horned armor that is 70 to all resists? Or for that matter any kind of leather armor that is 70 to all?

L

longshanks

u need to work up imbuing.

i would also urge you to read through this thread's stickies to get more knowledge on how to craft.

S

Spaylaywitheepee

Thanks.

Actually I did read the sticky's. But I'm wondering if 70 resist armor can be made without imbuing the pieces. I see 70 armor occasionally that also has Mana regen, Plus to Mana, Plus to HP, and 18% LRC. I'd think it would be hard to get all these properties imbued on each piece if there was a resist number imbued also. That would be 5 imbued properties.

L

longshanks

your probably looking at runic armor.

armor crafted with a valorite hammer or leather armor crafted with runic sewing kits.

the rolls on what those pieces are made with are purely random, so if you go that route you'd have to burn several kits at least and there are no guarantees.

while imbued pieces break, you have the power to tailor make pieces to your desired needs.

this is why you dont see as many runic hammers for sale anymore.

hope this helps.

S

Spaylaywitheepee

Thanks for the replies. Between imbuing and tailoring I'll have plenty to keep me busy for a while)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thanks.

Actually I did read the sticky's. But I'm wondering if 70 resist armor can be made without imbuing the pieces. I see 70 armor occasionally that also has Mana regen, Plus to Mana, Plus to HP, and 18% LRC. I'd think it would be hard to get all these properties imbued on each piece if there was a resist number imbued also. That would be 5 imbued properties.

You'd probably love my gloves.
Barbed, 5 properties from Runic.
Total resists over 80 (not logged in at the moment), 17% LRC.

Only equivalent to about 400 total intensity. I could boost it a bit higher if I wanted with Imbuing, but I like having something I won't lose from the durability eventually running out. I've got a few pieces with MR 2, 18-20% LRC, and 3 resist properties, but the resists don't line up with my suits, so they sit in my box of armor parts.

As for the suit I use the gloves in...

I was able to use kelp leggings, protector of the battle mage, kasa of the raj-in, an orny and imbued sleeves and ring with those gloves to work my mage's suit to include a Pendant of the magi, and STILL be high 60s-70 resists, and even be 70 physical resist with protection cast and inscription soulstoned (I swap GM inscription and 120 fishing as needed), 40%+ LMC, 100%+ LRC, and a lot of MR, MI and SDI, and 30% DCI for when I'm using my swords of prosperity (or SC Mage weapon bow) instead of my spellbook and shield. Other accessories include totem of the void, tangle, the 140 luck halloween robe, and either a cloak or quiver of infinity.

The only item bought out of the lot was the protector tunic - everything else was crafted by/for me (still looking for a pendant recipe, so I gave a guildie the ingredients to do it) or a loot drop.

If you only imbue the jewelry, you can theoretically make suits with MR 2 on all pieces, 100% LRC, and high mana increase, and have all resists 70+, with about 50+ points of resist wiggle room, (53 for an elf, 58 for a human), so the resists don't have to be max intensity on all pieces. Having 20% LRC on one or both the jewelry pieces can give you even more playing room. (so a couple pieces can be MR 2, MI, and either 3 resist properties, or 2 plus LMC).

Frankly, while having LMC AND MI is better, if you have to choose one or the other, only LMC works better:

125 mana, no MI, 40% LRC = cast 4 8th circle spells in a row, and probably have regened the mana for a 5th by the time you get the 4th off (unless you're running no MR and no Med).
125 mana + 48 MI, no LMC = will get off 3 such spells, and barely have recovered enough for a 4th if you have good regen/med, after the 3rd.

Example is for a human - all being an elf does is add 1 more spell to the above numbers (from the extra 20 mana), and the wait is even longer for the second example, for the last spell, compared to the first.

After hitting rock bottom, only having to wait for 60% of the normal mana amounts works a lot better under most circumstances (and where it doesn't, typically you're screwed either way, such as something or someone chain-casting mana vampire on you).

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks.

to answer your question no.

barbed leather armor has 52 total resists with arms lore bonus.
since there are 6 slots and 5 resists that means if they were exactly even you would get 52x6/5 = 62.4 since the game rounds down you would get 62 all down the line..

you can however do it so you only need imbue 1 resist and 4 other mods pretty easy..

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
WRONG
Have you ever heard about runics? Runic Bonuses
In fact, if you look several posts up, you'll see my description of an 80+ resist piece with 17% LRC, and it's not even CLOSE to max intensity (I think the 4 resists have a combined intensity of between 300 & 313.33%, with the LRC sitting at 85%). So not only is it 80+ resists, it's STILL only BARELY high enough intensity for even a 120 Imbuing Gargoyle at the Queen's altar to get a relic fragment from, and ONLY because it's made from barbed (without the leather type unravel bonus, it would only give essences).

curlybeard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm somewhat new at tailoring and I'm wondering how to make 70 resist armor. I have GM Tailoring and Arms Lore on Siege and when I make exceptional horned leather armor it averages about 60 to all resists. How do some tailors make horned armor that is 70 to all resists? Or for that matter any kind of leather armor that is 70 to all?
If you use the "forge tool" from uogamecodes.com, you never fail enhancing. So, depending on material bonus you can make 5 or 6 property imbued armor with 70 resist. You craft the piece with regular wood/leather/iron then just enhance after you POF and imbue the piece. Without the forge tool you will fail enhancing far too often to make it worth the cost in Fort Powder and Imbuing ingredients. Note enhancing is only worth it if you imbue at least 1 resist, otherwise you should just craft the piece out of the special material.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
WRONG
Have you ever heard about runics? Runic Bonuses
No, sorry Aaron is right - we are discussing non-imbued, non-runic armor.

Yes, you can easily make all 70 suits with runics or imbuing.

However, as Aaron states - even with Arms Lore bonus you cannot make an all 70's GM crafted suit. There isn't enough resist points to go around.

However, by adding magic properties (runic or imbuing) you can easily make all 70's with other mods as well.

Imbuing limits you to 5 properties with 500 total intensity (across the properties). Runics are only limited to the number/intensity per the given runic tool. You can 'imbue' runic made items to add more but only to the 5/500 limit.

If you are going to make an all 70's suit - it is either runics or imbue.

You can easily make 6 piece leather all 70's, 42 mana increase 100 LRC, 6MR suits pretty easily. I used to make and sell on my vendor for like 700k each.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks.

since there are 6 slots and 5 resists that means if they were exactly even you would get 52x6/5 = 62.4 since the game rounds down you would get 62 all down the line..

you can however do it so you only need imbue 1 resist and 4 other mods pretty easy..
Notice the BOLD / UNDERLINED

Theo_GL No, sorry Aaron is right - we are discussing non-imbued, non-runic armor.
WRONG
Look at the question and look at the answer that Aaron gave. Aaron and you are both WRONG.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aaron, Theo: you two are reading something else into the discussion THAT WAS NEVER SAID UNTIL INTRODUCED BY YOU.

NOWHERE in this discussion was the subject brought up, prior to Theo, to exclude the use of Runic Sewing Kits - only to exclude IMBUING. In fact, aaron, you don't even MENTION that you're talking about non-runic - you just assume it, and Theo is the only one that actually SAYS it, afterward.

BTW, Your numbers for resists aren't right for Siege, even for normal armor: 15+12+23 (the SP Arms Lore bonus is 8, not 5 like the other shards) = 50, for Barbed leather armor, last I checked. So, that's 60 per resist on average for a non-runic suit (as the OP even said, correctly)

Just because many Siege craftsmen have all but forgotten that runics exist, because of the Thieves and corpse robbers on your shard, does not mean that they don't come into play now that Imbuing makes property-specific items more common. In fact, it probably should be the opposite of what's going on with the other shards, as without insurance, the more costly imbued items will be the ones more likely to be stolen/looted, than ones cranked out by the too-easy-to-get Barbed kits.

In fact, the way that the OP phrased it in his post and replies, the ONLY answer is "the Tailor who made the non-imbued armor used a runic sewing kit." It started going off on a wild tangent bringing up a NON-EXISTENT exclusion of runics in the thread to that point with aaron's first reply, which brought up imbuing again which, by that point WAS excluded.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Actually the answer is yes, BUT... you need to use a runic crafting tool and make numerous attempts.

No, sorry Aaron is right - we are discussing non-imbued, non-runic armor.
The OP was asking if and how it was possible. He never said anything about the pieces being non-runic made. Take a closer look:

See? He didn't even use the word runic in his post. Please point to it if you can find it.

And just an FYI, I've been informed by a very reliable siege player, who know's more than a little about how things work over there, the arms lore bonus on siege is 8%, not 5%.

Now, everyone relax, take a deep breath, and stop bickering. We're here to answer a question, not squabble over who's right and wrong.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for one thing i didnt notice he said siege, siege gets a bigger arms lore bonus.. you might be able to get close to 70s if you piece the right pieces together then imbue 5 mods on them.. i dont play siege so i havent tested this but the math works?
60x6=360/5=72
so you can make a gm suit with all 72s?

yes you can get high resist armor from runics, but they wont have 5 mods other then resists on them.. what the OP asked for..

ive made a runic armor that has close to 100 total resists.. it was like 20s all the way down.

in order to get an all 70s suit with 4 mods (that you actually want) directly from runics you would have to be the luckiest person alive.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The math for barbed pieces*, before any properties are added, is the following:

Normal Shard, normal tool: 15 (base) + 15 (exceptional) + 12 (barbed) + 5 (GM Arms lore) = 47
Normal Shard, Runic tool: 15 + 6 (runics have reduced exceptional bonus) +12 + 5 = 38

Siege, normal: 50 (60 is the average resist for 6 50-resist pieces)
Siege, Runic: 41

for a suit, multiply by 6/5 for average resists.
N/N = 56.4
N/R = 45.6, before runic properties.
S/N = 60
S/R = 49.2, before runic properties.

Note that at minimum intensity, two runic properties per piece will add 16 to each armor, or 19.2 to the average resist, on any shard. In the unlikely chance the two are at max, it would be 30 to each piece, 36 to each resist.

So, on SP, using Barbed runic barbed leather pieces with two resist properties each, the resists will average 68.4 on a suit even if the properties are all minimum Barbed runic value. That leaves 16-18 other properties, for other stuff (odds are you'll end up using 1-2 3-resist pieces to get to all 70s, 75 energy if an elf). The sucky thing is that you aren't guaranteed to get 5 properties on any give piece, but with imbuing all the rage, Barbed runics are at an all-time low price. You can buy 10 of them on most shards, what just one would have cost just 2-3 years ago.

Theoretically, you could even make some of the pieces with Horned runics (minimum 40%, max 4 properties), and both the less than maximum # of property items can still be imbued up to fill positions until you actually craft the suit part you need. I've got a couple characters running around on Lake Austin in all-70s suits with no imbued parts, and just a few relevant properties (LRC and/or mana properties) where all 6 pieces were made using 2-3 horned runics per character.

* Note that non-med human tailor from AoS & earlier, and some SE pieces, have a base 1 point higher (for some reason, Studded Mempo and the elven Hide armors have the resists of the base leather types, not the studded they are supposed to be equivalent to). And, from the difference between Valorite & Barbed leather, smith-crafted armor of Valorite tops out 1 point higher than medable leather armor.

So, the maximum resists for most non-med human-style armor is 1 higher, at the cost of being non-medable (or losing a property slot to Mage armor).

Now, to go off on a tangent....

Leather is the cheap way to go this route - but if you ever get a Valorite hammer, watch out...

The reasons that Valorite-Hammer-made SE Plate is so popular on non-siege shards, because -
1. it's medable
2. IF you get resist properties, they will, at MINIMUM, be 13 out of possible 15.
3. the dupers made a lot of them, and certain events created more as rewards, even before counting in the changes to BODs from 3 years ago. As the dupers couldn't use most of their methods on SP, it's not done much there.

So, if by some freak chance you made SE Plate and had all the properties fall on the 5 resists, you'd get (plus Mage Armor)

Minimum (with GM Arms lore): 15+13+6+5= 39 base, +65 = 104 total resists (107 on SP)
Maximum: 39+75 = 114 (117 on SP)

A Val runic, Val metal piece with 3 runic resist properties and two other ones at or near max (a given, with 85% being minimum), plus mage armor, would be at minimum 78 resists, at most 84. SP numbers would be 87-93; get the right non-resist properties and it probably be worth, on SP, using your blessing on and building a suit around, as it doesn't have those pesky issues that imbued armor has with ever-declining resists.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think it's possible if built around two or more arties ... think i said.

S

Spaylaywitheepee

I'd like to thank everyone for the great discussions on this topic.

I think the answer to my question probably is that player-made armor can't be all 70's without pumping it up with either runics or imbuing. Runics might be easier on the amount of leather required but imbuing might be the way to go if runics are in short supply.

To make a 70's suit I've made 5 horned suits and 5 barbed suits and mixed and matched the pieces so one piece has one low resist on each slot when the entire suit is worn. Then only 1 piece of the suit needs an imbue to make that type of resist 70 for the suit. This is pretty easy, just takes a lot of leather.

With runics you have to be lucky to get the right resists so it might take a lot of the kit's allowed uses. I think my take away is that imbuing is the way to go.

I Hope all this makes sense, and welcome your comments.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My best advice for suit building is to open a spreadsheet, set it up so you can plug in a piece on a vendor and have the computer do the math for you.

Makes it much easier.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also, some pieces are better made with a combination of runics followed by imbuing, if you're needing to get VERY high resists in a single property.

For example, making a suit to compensate for the effects of Corpse Skin and other fire-resist lowering effects works best if you take a bunch of spined runic kits, make items trying for over 20% in fire (and if other properties present, they be ones you will be adding to the piece or raising to max, anyway), then Imbue the other properties around that Runic fire resist property that is over the imbuable amount, due to the Exceptional bonus (regardless of the leather type used). This can allow you, for example, to reach a fire resist in the 90s from 4 fire resist properties (from runics), when it would usually take 5 pieces to get the same effect with imbuing.

It comes down to runics are best for min/maxing in terms of crafting resists, and if done with a lower runic, you get 30 or 45 shots at it. On the standard ruleset (not SP) shards, even Barbed runics are down to 3 or 4 kits for a million, and you can probably get a dozen or more horned or spined kits for that.

Typically, any time I need more than one resist 16 or more (or one resist in the 20s), I start with a runic kit, and imbue my best result; otherwise, I'll either start with a runic leftover from a previous attempt (sure, something might have sucky resists before imbuing, but getting LRC 20 and LMC 8 without having to imbue makes it worth hanging onto for a later project), or craft an exceptional non-runic item.

Right now, from trying to craft a high-fire item, I have a piece with MR 2, LMC 8 and 21 poison resist as its 3 properties, and only one point from the ex bonus and leather type combined in fire, that is just looking for a suit to pair it with, to allow me to choose which two properties to add.