• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How to fix the economy.. (New Currency)

• Thread starter imported_Velvathos
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Velvathos

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Paying a monthly fee to play UO does not 'entitle' you to a house and it is not rental on that house.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have to disagree with this line of thinking. It may not entitle me to a castle, but it does entitle me to claim a plot of land to develop. If that changes, I would have little use for 3/4 of my accounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be pissed if I were gone for months to come back and find out my house was gone to find out that some stupid feature in the game was added in where I had to pay taxes...

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gold Sinks work well but the hype goes away quickly so they gotta keep em fresh.

To keep the gold problem fixed they have to put an end to duping and they haven't been able to do that in years. This is what wrecked the economy.

Alot of the ideas mentioned in this tread will further seperate the Haves from the Have nots and the best way to fix the economy is to bring them closer together.

A

Asmodai/Embryo

anything that takes players gold without giving them something in return is rediculous, people dont pay 10 quid a month to have their in game cash as well as their irl cash taken away from them for nothing

C

Connor_Graham

"Paying a monthly fee to play UO does not 'entitle' you to a house"

It does when customizable housing is an advertised part of the game. It's a game "feature", and as such is part of what you're paying for.

D

Dokker

Some interesting ideas but I always thought and still think that an easier non invasive way to help with the economy would be to have a shifting spawn. If just for an example rune beetles are being killed (farmed) at one spot why as a creature would you stay there the resource of that monster there would wear out (extinction) and would therefore have to spawn somewhere else, not simply respawn within the same general area to be slaughtered again.

Mind you this will not fix it all on its own but it requires activity and moving about not just I will sit here and whack highest gold monster I can handle til I can whack it no more. Also helps alleviate the bots you find in places as well which also adds to the general increase in gold flow.

I have been a smith on Napa for more than 9 years now and as much as the next suggestion grieves me in some ways I still think I would and could live with it if it made the game better and that would be to remove fortification powder from the bod system. Runics etc to make magical items are ok even if I would prefer using lootable items to make it as well. However fort powder means that nothing ever decays, if my gear does not deteriorate and I have what I consider the perfect set up for me then I never need to buy anything else that makes my gold total diminish. The fortification powder just shifts my gold unless I do it myself. Now to protect those who have spent the money to make their suits weapons etc you offer fortification or durability boosters but they are aquired from the guildmaster NPCs using a scaled system/ The higher the durability you wish to raise it the higher the gold cost as its more difficult to do. A gold sink people will use to keep their items combined with a reason to hunt and giving gold value.

Hook the 2 together and at least to me the economy comes back into line and you are not destroying anyones style outright everyone gives up a little while still having options

G

<blockquote><hr>

It does when customizable housing is an advertised part of the game. It's a game "feature", and as such is part of what you're paying for.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they also point out that your gameplay experience may vary/be subject to change. They can take any content they like out of the game at any time they feel like it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I would be pissed if I were gone for months to come back and find out my house was gone to find out that some stupid feature in the game was added in where I had to pay taxes...

[/ QUOTE ]
Or if they changed the 90 day rule to a 30 day rule? Which they have discussed doing. You would also lose your house then when you came back "months later".

Bottom line ... if your not playing for "months" then its your own fault if you come back and find some in game feature has changed and cost you your house ... whether that be tax or timer.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
<blockquote><hr>

Bottom line ... if your not playing for "months" then its your own fault if you come back and find some in game feature has changed and cost you your house ... whether that be tax or timer.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is saying what if you PAY YOUR SUBSCRIPTION but just don't log in for a period of time then come back and find your house fell becuase you didn't have gold in the bank.

Do you think EA would 'retain' that subscription? Probably not as the player would quit. That would be bad for EA.

Don't tax people. They don't like it. Find ways for them to 'give up' their money and all will be fine.

For example, make a set of arties that can ONLY be purchased with gold. Make them non-powderable. Sell them for say 1-2 mil gold each.

People will fork over the cash every so often to *play* with that arty. Make there no other way to obtain it. No turn in, no monster drop.

Lets say it was something like the sammy helm only with 5 hci and 15 dci. Sell for 1 mil with 75 durability non powderable. About once a year people will have to plop down another mil to outfit their warrior in one.

That is a GOLD SINK. People give gold, get the item and are happy about it. People who don't want to pay - don't have to.

That would remove gold from the economy. A needed item that eventually wears out.

lets take hair dye - it should *wear* out since your own hair dye does. Make it so hair dye lasts 2 months before it wears out.

MUCH better gold sink then the current one.

See what I mean? Make alot of these 'gold sinks' and people will give up the cash for the bling.

I

imported_Salivern_Diago

For goldsinks to work, they have to play on two things...

1 - Greed (PVM/PVP templates) Vine Cord Sandles or one of the many major duped items now purchasable for a few mil from an NPC.. no-longer rare.. just expensive

2 - Players vanity. You want to be known as a Baron or have some high mighty title... Buy it.. Like we in the UK can do already, buy a title and gain nobility status. Make it cost alot.. Not just a few mil, but at lest a hundred if not a couple of hundred mil. Vanity is something everyones guilty off.

Now stick those together... Vanity and Greed. Someone gets to spend 200mils and they become a Baron of.. I dunno.. Minoc, lasts a year.. can only have one Baron of the town. Gets certain rights in the town, cheaper rates or something. Maybe gets to use a Town guard. But they can also buy the right to rent the Baronal Armour. Something that'll rock in PVP or PVM. I dunno if it'll work, just throwing an idea up.

But greed and vanity is what'll have to be used to enforce goldsinks.

That, or nerf PoF's altogether.. one use only, or make it rarer to get...

Those 6 mil AoF's will sill go up in value.. May move the gold about a bit, but they could make the Bods harder to get etc etc...