• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Carpentry] How to build a Carpenter that can craft everything Carpenter

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is an expansion on part of the Carpentry FAQ.

Carpentry is probably the one skill most reliant on possessing multiple other skills, to make full use of it.

These are the skills you'll want your Carpenter to have, and at what level you need them at to fully make use of the ability.

1. Magery - Great for gating packies (you will need a LOT of wood), self-defense, and of course for crafting Pentagrams & Abattoirs once you GM Carpentry. Only 75 Magery skill is needed for the biggest add-on, and it's possible to get up to 60, 65, or more of the points from equipment if you use loot and event items. However, Magery and Musicianship can't be on the same equipment together, as they are in the same group, and take each other's slot on an imbue.
a. +20 Magery Bracelets are sometimes found as loot (and are usually on items no combat character would wear, so should be cheap), as are +20 Magery Rings (plus, can be found as a drop from the Prism of Light (Crystalline Ring), or event items (Katalkotl's Ring).
b. There are +15 Magery spellbooks commonly available in the form of old major Treasures of Tokuno spellbooks, and more recently (And more expensively) +20 Magery books from more recent events.
c. Then there's the Treatise on Alchemy Talisman, which is an alchemy crafting bonus talisman from the Library Collection, with a +5 magery bonus.
d. Lastly, there's more esoteric things like the Mark of the Travesty, but that's normally something you don't see (or get) on a crafter).

Minimum to have: 75 (combination of real skill and equipment bonuses).
Suggested: as much as you can afford (including scrolling it up to 110 or higher)

2. Musicianship
- Allows you to craft instruments and mark them if you achieve GM Carpentry status. Not a big seller, unless you've got a captive Bard customer (your own or friends). This is because exceptional instruments give a success bonus, and there are a lot of event creatures that don't have slayers. Of course, the REALLY big ones are immune to Bards, but that's the Bards' problem.

With the introduction of the new loot system a decade ago, it became possible for humans and gargoyles to use JUST equipment to get that 45 skill.
A. Rings and Bracelets can each be imbued to +15 Music. They are also possible as treasure loot.
B. There are also, much rarer, +20 Music Rings and +20 Music Bracelets found in treasure loot. Many of these will be "Cursed" (not insurable), or "Antique" (take a lot of damage in combat, limited repairs). While useless to most characters, these are valuable for a crafter that's going to be leaving them in their materials container. You'll need to have your combat characters, treasure hunters, and friends look for these whenever they loot, to bring back to you.
C. Traveling Minstrel talisman from the Britain Library Collection. This talisman gives a +5 Music bonus when worn.
D. The Singing Axe. Made using an uncommon recipe from Heartwood/Sanctuary/T-map chests by a blacksmith, this Ornate Axe also gives a +5 Music bonus when held. It can also be used to chop wood (though on Siege, that will eventually destroy it).
E. Elves can make use of the rare-recipe Tailor crafted "Song-Woven Mantle" that is a Leaf Arm "crafted artifact" (not changed by material or runic use), that has as one of its bonuses, +10 Musicianship.
Items A(x2), C, & D will bring you up to 40 of the 45 skill needed.
One each of A, B, C & D will give you ALL 45 skill points.
Items A(x2), E, and a CHOICE of C or D, also brings the character to 45 Music skill with 0 real skill possessed.

Other Options:
f. It's possible to use a runic dovetail saw from Carpenter BOD rewards to craft a fishing pole with up to +10 skill (including Music), but doing so seems a bit wasteful. Maybe if you are making runic poles for a fishing friend, you might luck into one.
g. There are artifact level drops that can have +10 or more Music skill (Mark of the Travesty, Dryad Bow), but these are not worth the expense or effort, as their skills are randomized.

Minimum to have: 45 (combination of real skill and equipment bonuses).
Suggested: 45 skill (ALL from equipment)

3. Lumberjacking
- You'll need to get your wood some place... You might as well do it yourself. It might be better on an elf, but there are benefits for being human (greater weight capacity). Logs weigh twice as much as boards, and while elves get a (a lot lower than promised) greater chance of colored wood from a potential colored source (if the tree is currently wood, it will be JUST plain wood regardless of any racial bonus), humans get 11 logs per chop instead of 10 (doubled in Felucca). There are also special containers available as Huntsman Challenge rewards that halve the weight of boards and logs place within, so you can put those in your pack or your pack animal to further increase your haul.

Minimum to have: 100 (real skill). Though, there is a drop that will raise your skill +5 points while equipped, using it to chop will make you unable to use other chopping tools.

4. Tinkering
- Allows you to craft the cooking add-ons: stoves, flourmills, etc. Plus, you can make your own tools (probably the most important use), including Carpentry tools made of either Iron or Wood (and the Wood ones have higher maximum uses). IF you are going to craft the "Training Boxes" (trapped boxes, locked boxes, etc.) you'll want to take it all the way to Grandmaster.

Minimum to have: 50 if you want just the cooking add-ons. 75 for some of the later SA-era additions (steel tables).
Suggested: GM for tool-making and making training boxes.

5. Blacksmithing
- Decent money maker on its own (getting runic hammers for reforging) and in combination with carpentry allows you to craft anvils and forges. If you have another crafter that is GM-120 Blacksmith, you only need to have it to 80 on your carpenter (high enough to make all the add-ons, as well as get colored BODs from BOD runs). as long as you keep it over 70, you can get the BOD running benefits AND stick a +10 Ancient Smithy Hammer into his hand for those Large Forges.

Minimum to have: 80 (combination of real skill and and Ancient Smithing Hammer. If you are going to collect Smith BODs with the character, you need to have 70 real skill).
Suggested: as high as you want (using ASH +15/+30/+60), but you get additional bonuses to the color of Smith BODs at 110 real and 120 real skill).

6. Tailoring
- Another decent money maker on its own (again, runics for reforging), but also allows you to craft fishing poles, training dummies, large and small beds, looms, and spinning wheels. 75 tailor is all you need if you plan on having a GM-120 tailor on another character (and with all the crafting skills now, it's impossible to have all skills on one character at all times) (and at 70, you also get colored BODs).

Minimum to have: 75).
Suggested: as much as you can afford (including scrolling it up to 110 or 120)

More Options:

7. Mining - As with logs, you need to get your ingots and, once GM Carpentry, granite stone, somewhere.
Mining is relatively easy to GM or get to high enough levels to make collecting large amounts fairly quick. This is a skill you may choose to put on another character though if it doesn't fit your template. Your best smelting rate requires 101.2 (using +3 or +5 gloves of mining from Smith BOD rewards.

Suggested: as much as needed to get to 101.2 or higher, when using Mining Gloves

8. Bowcrafting/Fletching
- Also uses wood, and one of the easiest weapon-making skills to get to Grandmaster, with the Heartwood quests. It used to be much more difficult, but the fact that you can train it from 30 to GM while doing things you'd want to do for recipes, runics and other things makes it a snap, now.

Suggested: Up to GM wood use limits are as Carpenter, but tied to this skill.

9. Arms Lore Skill:

You may ask, "Do I really NEED Arms Lore?" Well, if you plan to make any armor or weapons, the answer is probably YES. After languishing with little use for most of a decade, Arms Lore was given a real purpose again. It is now an enhancer to crafting skills. When one crafts an exceptional weapon or armor item, one gets an additional bonus to the Exceptional bonus for that item type, for each 20 points of crafting skill. For weapons, this bonus is +1% Damage Increase per 20 points of Arms Lore skill, in additional to the Exceptional Damage Increase amount (or to the runic DI property value, if crafted with a fletching runic as exceptional quality, with a DI bonus higher than the base DI for exceptional quality). This is cumulative with the wood and item properties, when applicable - so long as the item is exceptionally crafted.

The Following Charts are a more visible breakdown of the skill's benefits for weapons.

Arms Lore Skill / Race / Exceptional Weapon DI
0-19.9 / Elves / 35%
0-39.9 / Human / 36%
20.0-39.9 / Elves / 36%
40.0-59.9 / Both / 37%
60.0-79.9 / Both / 38%
80.0-99.9 / Both / 39%
100.0 / Both / 40%

It's better to craft an weapon with the DI and reforge it, so long as it doesn't get a DI bonus FROM the reforging (which messes with the reforge value calculation). If you want, you can use the expensive "whetstone" to remove the DI, to minimize this, but I (as a non-PvP player) really don't care.
For armor, the Exceptional random armor bonuses don't count as imbue/reforge value UNLESS you change the value with imbuing. So, that's more of a judgement call (I personally look for pieces that have only 1-2 points in one or two resists that my other suit parts are high in, to reforge).

10. Imbuing/Reforging:

This probably needs to be on whatever character you'll be using for weapons or armor crafting, so that the character can make its own target items.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Now my crafting is 99% just imbuing is arms lore still needed?
Arms lore is useful if you're going to craft weapons and armor with full exceptional bonuses prior to imbuing or reforging. But, with soulstones you don't have to keep it on the character at all times. Remember that it only comes into play with Exceptional crafting (and that you can get more stuff on an exceptional item than a normal one).

The DI from Exceptional quality (which the Arms Lore increases) may or may not be desirable if you're going straight to imbuing, but it's ignored by reforging unless reforging itself attempts to add DI. The Whetstone can be used to remove it to provide more imbuing room, for those using DI gear and spells to where the weapon DI isn't important.
It's never been a concern of mine, but then I don't play to solo stuff or PVP.

The Additional Resists for Armor from Exceptional quality and Arms Lore don't count against a suit's intensity & properties unless you attempt to alter the resist(s) with imbuing after the fact. As the points are randomly applied, a suit can be messed up by trying to adjust resists after the fact.
An armor part with a base 2/4/3/3/3 could end up being 6/8/7/7/7, or 10/6/7/5/7, or 5/12/5/5/8, or anything in between (as long as it adds to 35), when exceptionally crafted at 100% Lore. What you look for, pre-reforge, is one that has 1 or 2 of the resists close (within 0-2 points) to the base number. For example: 3/10/5/7/10. You then reforge for non-resist properties, imbue what you have room left for (only reforging the low resists if needed, as you LOSE the exceptional/lore points on any imbued resists), then enhance for more resists.

It's easier to play around with the resists using different pieces with different low resists to get the best final result, though if you're doing a tailor luck suit, for example, you try for low physical resists on all pieces (as 5 spined-enhanced pieces will be 5x2+5x10=60 physical, even before factoring in the Exceptional/Lore bonus.
For woodland armor, as the bonus resists for wood are 3/3/0/2/3, a luck suit would have its resists more evenly spread before the imbue & enhance phase. Metal's not much different.

Non-luck suits can be much more varied, as you can have one piece (loot or reforged) with 100-120 total resists, THEN enhance it, then craft, reforge, imbue and enhance the other pieces around it to fill all the other areas needed.
For example, I have a suit for my mage/mystic/arcanist that is 62 Physical (WITH Protection cast. Well over 70 without it), 63 fire resist, 70+ resist in the other 3 (and is 72/73/75/75/75 with stone form cast), and ZERO resists in the neck slot, but is over 160 SDI with spellbook, FCR 4, and capped/overcapped in ALL other spellcaster properties found on armor (and still around 700 luck, by accident). If I wanted to blow through my stash of runics, I could probably fix the shortages, but since I spend most of the time in stone form, it would be too much effort for 3 more physical and 2 more fire.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Arms lore is useful if you're going to craft weapons and armor with full exceptional bonuses prior to imbuing or reforging. But, with soulstones you don't have to keep it on the character at all times. Remember that it only comes into play with Exceptional crafting (and that you can get more stuff on an exceptional item than a normal one).

The DI from Exceptional quality (which the Arms Lore increases) may or may not be desirable if you're going straight to imbuing, but it's ignored by reforging unless reforging itself attempts to add DI. The Whetstone can be used to remove it to provide more imbuing room, for those using DI gear and spells to where the weapon DI isn't important.
It's never been a concern of mine, but then I don't play to solo stuff or PVP.

The Additional Resists for Armor from Exceptional quality and Arms Lore don't count against a suit's intensity & properties unless you attempt to alter the resist(s) with imbuing after the fact. As the points are randomly applied, a suit can be messed up by trying to adjust resists after the fact.
An armor part with a base 2/4/3/3/3 could end up being 6/8/7/7/7, or 10/6/7/5/7, or 5/12/5/5/8, or anything in between (as long as it adds to 35), when exceptionally crafted at 100% Lore. What you look for, pre-reforge, is one that has 1 or 2 of the resists close (within 0-2 points) to the base number. For example: 3/10/5/7/10. You then reforge for non-resist properties, imbue what you have room left for (only reforging the low resists if needed, as you LOSE the exceptional/lore points on any imbued resists), then enhance for more resists.

It's easier to play around with the resists using different pieces with different low resists to get the best final result, though if you're doing a tailor luck suit, for example, you try for low physical resists on all pieces (as 5 spined-enhanced pieces will be 5x2+5x10=60 physical, even before factoring in the Exceptional/Lore bonus.
For woodland armor, as the bonus resists for wood are 3/3/0/2/3, a luck suit would have its resists more evenly spread before the imbue & enhance phase. Metal's not much different.

Non-luck suits can be much more varied, as you can have one piece (loot or reforged) with 100-120 total resists, THEN enhance it, then craft, reforge, imbue and enhance the other pieces around it to fill all the other areas needed.
For example, I have a suit for my mage/mystic/arcanist that is 62 Physical (WITH Protection cast. Well over 70 without it), 63 fire resist, 70+ resist in the other 3 (and is 72/73/75/75/75 with stone form cast), and ZERO resists in the neck slot, but is over 160 SDI with spellbook, FCR 4, and capped/overcapped in ALL other spellcaster properties found on armor (and still around 700 luck, by accident). If I wanted to blow through my stash of runics, I could probably fix the shortages, but since I spend most of the time in stone form, it would be too much effort for 3 more physical and 2 more fire.
Weapons would be what I'm crafting so not using arms lore would save me using a whetstone?

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Weapons would be what I'm crafting so not using arms lore would save me using a whetstone?
Nope. Exceptional goes with DI anyway. Arms lore skill increase it.
You will need arms lore for crafting gargish stone or elven wooden armor .