• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How often do you play UO?

How many hours per week do you play UO?

• None

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • 1-5

Votes: 48 28.9%
  • 6-10

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • 11-20

Votes: 26 15.7%
  • 21-30

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • 31-40

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • 41+

Votes: 12 7.2%

• Total voters

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Out of curiosity, and also as a roll-call of how many active Uhall readers there are.

It would also be interesting to see how many years everyone has played and how many active accounts you have if you want to post that.

1-5 hours, 24 years, 2 accounts for me. My maximum was probably 60 hours and 5 accounts a long time ago though.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't play anymore probably never will ( I keep the door open maybe something come along that I can not resist to try out)

2 accs 1 is terminated started around 2000 on and off maybe 10 or so active years when I was most active probably around 40h a week

egglett

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
21-30 for me but I have only been back about 6 months, after a couple of years off.
3 accounts active but that will go down to 2 soon.
Oldest account is nearly 14 years even though I started it around 2001.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hubby and I both play (we met in game 18+ yrs ago and now married IRL). We play most late evenings with a small guild/guildmates that we've been with for 16+ yrs now.
Between the two of us we have five accts, two that started as beta accts, one that was started two months after beta and two that started in 2001. None of the five have ever been deactivated.

Fun Fact: Between the five accts, we have 135+ vet rewards unchosen.

Last edited:

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I think I play maybe couple hours in the morning, couple more in the evening, gave up on TV since the shows I wanted to see are all moving to paid streaming services. I started back on LS in 2000, ran with a few in game friends there till 2004. We had just the one account for ages, then a friend gave me his account, still could only play one account at a time, but I took it because others here had hijack my account and were playing on Sonoma. We had to have a 2nd phone line back then because the kids would answer any calls. Finally Cox arrived in our area, we had Cable, we had internet, down came the antenna, no more 2nd phone line, we could have more then one PC and could share in game life with family. Good times till 2007, we were running 6 accounts then and our daughter was in trouble and was going to lose her house, her car. So we close accounts, banked it all and gave the homes away to PAS members.

We still kept in touch with our friends and was just chatting how much we missed the game (2015) when we got two, three months game time codes from one of our dear friend. We accepted and came back on two of the main accounts, and saw a brand new world. We stayed.

We are running 5 accounts, four on Sonoma, the account that was gift me years ago was a beta so he played in 1999, with the break we had that account is now 210 months, that 17.5 yrs. our 2nd oldest is 208 months (the 1st account we started) missed the beta by weeks. Its a castle account also, and in Feb 2022 that castle will be 10 years old.

During the last event, I went and made a sammy and camped that dungeon till I got the spell book for the wife, (She was there as well helping to heal) Then the lantern for the scribe. So we been doing a lot of Bods also, so more hours there. I will play more with the elf in New Magincia soon :)

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I play maybe an hour a week on prodo and maybe 1-2 hours on free shards. My wife and I had 7 accounts but only my main account is now active. We started playing in 2000.

Mythius

Adventurer
Governor
Started in 98. Fresh eyed young buck. Left in 03 when wife gave ultimatum with her being prego with 2nd child.

Fun Fact, I was the first overnight DJ on UORadio before I left (DJ Goji)

Came back Covid year. Got two of original 5 accounts back. Back up to 5 accounts.
I am a truck driver, so when I am gone, I do not play. When I am home, I am on way to much.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I started in 2000, introduced to the game by my then teenage sons, along with my hubby. We had 4 accounts shared between us, each of us having characters on all 4 accounts. He no longer plays, the kids have long since grown up and left home, I'm past retirement age, so with no other calls on my time other than housework, cooking and a bit of TV each night, I almost 'live' in UO. The accounts have never been inactive. Ok, I'm addicted, but at my age, why not? Keeps my brain active at least.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I found AoS at a second hand store for $8 in 2002....I took several years long breaks so I JUST hit 14 years last month YAY! SHARD SHEILDS!

The past few years I was playing solo so I would log on, collect BOD's stock vendors and log off....maybe do a bag quest or two...collect gifts at Holiday time and do the treasures of and dynamic spawns.

Now I am back in a guild with some old friends and some new and I am on more often which is nice.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I started in 2000 with UO:R... I played roughly 40+ hours a week up until probably 6 years ago when I started getting super frustrated with the direction of the game... I currently play maybe 15 hours a week. Though if you are asking about actually doing "content" such as fishing, hunting, PvM, PvP, or working up skills etc... that number would be far less. Something like 1 hour. I do occasionally log in to help someone... but other than that I'm usually working on some sort of clean-up or my survey.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have fond memories of my years with UO, yet a couple weeks after the T-Map revamp I found myself no longer playing at all. Eventually my account on the official forums got banned too and a bit later my house fell by accident. Turns out I'm not really missing what it had become at all. Yet I keep lingering the forums for the odd giggle.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I played on and off between about 2000 and now. I was playing about 20-30 hours a week at my prime a couple of years ago. I've been into free shards the last few years more than official so I cancelled my account about a year ago. I rarely ever kept more than one account active at a time when I was playing.

Lately I have been spending about 20 hours a week writing code and lore for a free shard, so I don't exactly "play" anymore but I still log in pretty often to test the systems I write and see how the other devs I work with implement them. Once the shard goes live, I'll probably spend more time in the world but as a GM and not a player. I doubt I'll go back to playing again, development has been a lot of fun.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I picked 1-5
But I leave for months sometimes over a year at a time I’ve gone a couple years with out logging in
I started in 98 got my own account in 99 still have that account
I stop playing right after third dawn. Came back after AOS was released opened up a couple more accounts for me and my spouse
I played at least 40 plus if not 60 plus hours a week back then
When I do come back I tend to play more hours but like I said I go months with out logging in so I picked 1-5 hours
I’ve never played the 90 day game and have kept at least 5 accounts active for at least 10 to 15 years 2 others 18 years
To be honest @Stinky Pete summed it up best what kind of player I’m ( to sleepy to look up the thread)
I’ve said it many times here we need something new a big change.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Seldom play these days. Maybe an hour or two a month at most, but starting to get that itch again. :thumbup:

Started UO in June of 04. 4 accounts (190 paid months, 185 paid months, 47 paid months and one EJ). At the height of my UO playing I was literally playing 20+ hours a day. Nonscripting :p I had major chronic insomnia for years.

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I currently play 15-20 mins a day on one main account mostly just to stock vendors. 7 accounts are dormant.

From 98 to 2001 UO was life, I played as much as I could.

Every few months I play a bit more for a spurt, depending on what's going on in and out of game. It's been a good run.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
When I started you couldn't drag me away from the screen. Now it's somewhere between NONE and 1-5/week. TBH I haven't logged in but an hour in 3 weeks.

I am waiting to see what NL brings (if anything), then I'll decide to leave or not. If I leave this time it'll be for good. I've left/returned twice and each return I spent less time in-game. <shrug>

Shqiptar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right now none. Just decided to log on here randomly lol

I started in 2001 at 13. My accounts have been on and off for all those years, I have three. I used to play dozens of hours a week, especially as a teen in high school and for a couple years in my college years.

I occasionally reactivate and will play a few hours a week. Might do so soon. Feeling the itch.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i picked 20 hours per week.
some weeks its more, some weeks maybe a little less.
as a Paramedic, I work a lot of nights and I like to play on my down time, keeps me busy and awake and I've been doing this..... well since 1997.
3 accounts and a 4th holding a house.
also, living in Northern Canada it can get a little chilly in the winter, so having something to do inside where it is warm is a good idea.
i also really like character development. its always been a fetich of mine.
so having 21 fully developed characters on every shard in game was a real time sink.
id imagine about 10 years ago I was probably killing 6-8 hours a day in game doing character development, out with the guild, collecting pixils.

I have found that this last year that I really no longer like to grind out events and stuff.
i use to hit stuff hard and go until I had full collections but as of this year.... i just cant or don't want to do it anymore.
hell, I'm not even doing the artisan festival this year.
it feels like I've stopped collecting, in fact I'm pretty sure I COULD stop collecting stuff and I would feel ok about that.
guess maybe I'm growing out of my horder youthful ways?

Lord Bytor

Slightly Crazed
Reporter
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Started July of 1999 and haven't stopped. My wife and 4 kids have all played at one time or another. I play mostly in the evenings on Cats with one of the biggest guilds there that I helped form back in July of 1999 and run - K^S. After a long break my wife has come back and plays again. I picked the 30 to 40hr time. I couldn't let the kids accounts go so I kept those and the other accounts so I'm up to 12 ;)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
We played on Europa from 2002 on and off until a few years ago. We left before the T-hunt revamp went live, it was the end of UO for me and my husband was only playing because I was, so we closed our accounts. We had a bit of a break and now we play every day but don't pay BS/EA any more, we found a shard that has the old-style t-hunting but they've added more levels of maps up to level 10. I do miss some of the people I played with but I don't miss the stupid decisions frequently made by Broadsword. I won't be coming back to production shards, ever.

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The hours I play really depend on my available time. Presently, I'm without a job and so I can dedicate a bit more time to UO, but sometimes it's all I can do to log in every 6 to 7 days to collect resources from my sheep, mining cart, etc.

I started playing at the end of 1998 until 2004. Then I took a break, played again between 2011 and 2013. Then followed another break and I'm back since 2017.
In total that amounts to approximately 14 years.

I usually have 3 active accounts; was in doubt to close one a few weeks ago, but nonetheless prolonged my subscription.

samaelmcgovern

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I played like crazy 1998-2003 .. reactivated september 2020 after a huge break, and since then I play in my free time, can be 1 hour a day just to restock vendors, up to 7-8 hours in the week end if the weather sucks and I don't have better things to do :D I have 2 accounts

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am not sure how to answer this my self. Maybe less then 5hrs a week of play time but I log on throw out the day to see if there are any good idocs. I dont really count that as play time only when looting them would be the play time all other times the new timer cut my play time down to nothing since i dont have to camp a idoc and the min I walk away for a drink it falls. Only at events like the month long ones i will play more and that is just so my Armor collection grows.

Dont think I can add much more to my castle at this point to put any new sets up. I have a chest with I think 20 em rares ready to get set up and I have a chest full of roses whisping and AOS ones, personal bless deeds I need to find a home for. Along with alot of other junk but dont feel the need to do it.

I am siting on 2 active accounts 21 vet picks 15 years and up and 3 houseing accounts holding the spots infront of my castle. I played from Beta to right before AOS. and came back Right before SA. Only reason I stick around is the castle and 18x18 plot on ATL.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
These days it’s 1-5 hours per week… with the odd weekend where I might get a few extra hours now and then. Oldest account started in 1998. Currently 4 active accounts and 2 EJ accounts.

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Started 4/98 but account is telling me 233 months old as I took a break to try out WOW. I play way too much still and would hate to know the true hours I spend doing IDOC"s and EM events. I now have 2 accounts going although one is just a house holder. Still love doing t maps and it seems my biggest time suck is pricing things for sale due to slow VS. I actuall look forward to the game shutting down so I can try other games.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I started playing in 99, although my account was active around beta as my dad had the account and is the person who got me into the game. I've stopped playing (and paying) a few times but I've been paying (not always active playing) for the past 10-11 years.

Time spent playing UO certainly has its ebbs and flows for me. I picked 6-10 because I feel like on average that's where I'm at because typically when a new event/content kicks off (like Treasures Of) I will easily play 2 hours a day 5-6 days a week but as the newness of those events fade I find myself only playing a couple hours a week. In my prime though when I first got into UO, I would try to play every chance I got and easily played 30-40 hours a week. I remember on weekends I'd get on around 10pm and say "I'm just going to play an hour or 2" and next thing I know I'm seeing the servers are going down... there would just be so much to do with so many people. It was a blast.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Received the game as a Christmas present in '98 and played hard until 2004. Trailed off from 2005 until 2018 to a few hours a week while I played another game. Came back in 2018 and found Sonoma to be dead, moved to LS hoping to find new people to play with. That hasn't really worked out as it's hard to find a place to start getting involved.

leloyon

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Not very much these days. I'd like to play more but I just can't find the time. Too much stress, lack of sleep, etc in my daily life. I don't even sub, I play as a f2p these days, and that can be pretty lonely because there's no gen chat and the help chat is always filled with gold bots. When I do play I'm usually just training pets or doing Navrey. If I want a challenge I'll solo shadowguard, but that's rare because it takes sooooooo long to solo as a tamer and it doesn't always end well since boss patterns and their attacks are completely RNG. I've gotten screwed over many times.

I don't believe you can get any arties as a f2p player, but I enjoy the fun of it all.

Last edited:

leloyon

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Received the game as a Christmas present in '98 and played hard until 2004. Trailed off from 2005 until 2018 to a few hours a week while I played another game. Came back in 2018 and found Sonoma to be dead, moved to LS hoping to find new people to play with. That hasn't really worked out as it's hard to find a place to start getting involved.
I think Wolfpack guild is still fairly active but I'm not sure. My guild was allied to that guild for like 10-15 years until I had a falling out with one of the owners for placing a castle out from under his best buddy during an IDOC for my brother. He stood outside of the castle casting spells, trying to kill us, so I just disbanded the alliance.
The other owner, Pandora - she's awesome, as well as the rest of the folks in Wolfpack. It's a nice guild to be in if you play LS. Or just ask around for anyone if you need help in Gen chat. Maybe someone will help.

I'd add you to mine but frankly I'm not that active, and there's only another member or two that logs in occasionally.

But yeah, if you see anyone with the Wolfpack title, ask them if they could get you into the guild and I'm sure one of them will know someone that can invite.

Last edited:

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Started playing in 2001. Played way too much back then. Quit pretty much right after Age of Shadows started. Came back a few years later for a while. Left again. Tried a third time, but found the game pretty empty, so I left again. Came back for a fourth go at it a couple of years ago, and I'm enjoying it again like I did back in 2001. I have way too many goals now pulling me in too many directions at once, which is the way I like it. Have a small guild with players I really enjoy hanging out with. Spend way too much time on BODs. Enjoying taming, which is something I thought I'd never get into. Having fun.

I voted for 21 to 30 hours per week, but it might be more than that and my brain just refuses to admit it. :cool:

Atropos

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First played in 2000 back when you could share accounts, loved it enough to get my own. I mostly play Sonoma, mostly during events and BOD collecting for the Artisan Fest. It's a time killer for me when I sit down to take a break from wrangling kids n housework. I use to play a ton pre child raising, like wayyyy too much time spent on IDOCs n grinding skills. I once had 4 accounts but now only have 2, one of which I don't really play its just kinda there for my kids to mess with.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I play 1-5 hours per week. Some weeks more, like during the last event Champ Spawn. I enjoyed collecting 1-2 of those Destroyer belts a day. But on average 1-5 hrs a week. I do a weekly event with friends and thus adventure at least once every week. I have 5 paid accounts with houses. I started playing in 1999 and, with the exception of a 5 year break from 2002-2007, have played consistently for the last 14 years.

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oddly enough, if I kill enough Liches I get to be called a historian. It seems a far better deal than graduate school.
Destroying liches is destroying history! We are an invaluable source of primary data. Who else are you going to ask about the labyrinthine social dramas of centuries past? The elves? The elves! Don't make me laugh.

Jepeth

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Destroying liches is destroying history! We are an invaluable source of primary data. Who else are you going to ask about the labyrinthine social dramas of centuries past? The elves? The elves! Don't make me laugh.
The best primary source data comes from personal, non-public correspondence between parties. As sources Lich aren't great because of all the tyrannical monologuing.

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The best primary source data comes from personal, non-public correspondence between parties. As sources Lich aren't great because of all the tyrannical monologuing.
I was a monologuing tyrant when I was alive; how much more so in my death. But some of my kind were blessed with basic social skills in life, and their memories of interacting with polite society, if they can be persuaded to divulge them, illuminate the day-to-day milieu of ancient history. Not that Britannians would ever be interested in that, gibbering horde of unenlightened animals that you are.