• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] How much finished is the SA Client now?

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Old question long time ago we want to make this every week, but patches are soo rare these days, but now the sun is on the skyline.

However what do you think?

80% i can give it!

D

Diggity

Not sure it (or any client) can ever be considered 100% finished. I'd say it's been good enough and better than Classic (for me) for quite some time. The last patch makes it even better. Expandable containers are even more useful than I ever imagined they would be.

Not sure when it was fixed, but I don't think I've seen a ghost critter for quite awhile now - think it was a few months since last. That was a major annoyance that is now gone. No crashes for quite awhile also.

Still get the black space lag bug, but my playscreen is pretty large and I would really have to try to get the cursor into black space while playing so that one doesn't bother me.

BTeng_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still get the black space lag bug, but my playscreen is pretty large and I would really have to try to get the cursor into black space while playing so that one doesn't bother me.
How recent was this? The last patch on May 27th should resolve this issue.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll test it as soon as possible, but I really hope you managed to solve the problem (and thanks to posting here, btw).

If that problem is gone, I'd give the EC a whopping 90% finished, with 98% being the max a client can actually get ;)

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Gotta agree with the 80% figure. Not that there's an easy "metric" to work with, but yeah, 80% feels right.

Most of the way there, still a decent sized portion of stuff to add in, fix, or add back in from 3d or KR though.

F

Fink

80% seems to be the consensus.

Given this, and that no client will ever be 100%, I guess the next question would be:

How 'complete' must the client be to be considered final (gold?) release?

It's really quite frustrating to be actively involved and invested in advancing the EC, only to be told "it's still in beta" any time you raise a valid argument. This isn't the developers' mantra, rather the players, and most often staunch EC users themselves.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My Honest opion is the client will not be finished to any percent till it is accepted by a large portion of the player base.

Personally, I don`t bother with the Enhanced Client do to all the abonded clients laying around. If you think about it the Dev team changes frequently. They seem to support a client at first or for a year. Then they give you a statement saying Blah Blah. Updates become less frequent, & they eventually ignore it. Then they kill it.

No matter what they Devs do UO future will always be in 2d, & UO will one day die with just that 2d client. If UO is still around in 2020 it will still be 2d.

To be honest the Dev team has to build creditablity, & EA has to let them maintain it. If this is not done it will never happen.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

This is one EC supporter who does not and will not fall back on the "it's still in beta" argument. It's effectively released and obtainable in the same manner as the 2d client. You don't have to sign up to access or download it the way an actual "open beta" would really be (open meaning yes acceptance is basically guaranteed, but you still have to register for it). EC is released IMO for good or ill.

On the "when is it finished" aspect, I put it this way... when the client is 95-98% complete based on the same "consensus" criteria seen in this thread where the only things that remain are bugs that crop up due to later patches/publishes and the only features NOT in are those that we come up with as ideas for the UI. That means things that made KR a better client that were later stripped out (UI elements, higher resolution artwork, etc) are put back in and current buglists are resolved.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To me, the EC client should be stricken of the "Beta" tag when...
1. The modding capability is finished (last I checked, we still can't load XML files without needing a hack).
2. It runs reasonably well on older computers (lower quality graphics, fewer special effects, and a lower frame rate than new computers, of course).
3. Everybody who can use the client for 5 minutes can also use the client for 5 hours without performance degradation.
4. Using something in the 2D client doesn't break that item for EC client players, and vice-versa (like books).

After that is done... I'd say that the client should no longer be considered a beta (but individual features can, and it would be awesome if there was a beta channel and a stable channel for those of us who are adventurous).