• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How Many Will Wait and See???

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hail Folks,

A recent interview with Josh & Calvin (currently on this page) has many buzzing about what is contained within the Stygian Abyss expansion, and what is coming to UO's future.

I have never downloaded KR, nor the Enhanced Client. And as I write this, I am inclined NOT to purchase SA. I am strongly leaning toward waiting and reading what others experience before making my final decisions concerning SA and the enhanced client.

I have played UO continuously for 12 years. I currently pay for 10+ accounts. I simply cannot see, nor afford really, to gamble on an enhanced client and a new expansion, both which appear unappealing to me based upon the comments in the aforementioned interview, and in the Forums for the new client and for SA.

I hope I am wrong, but what I'm hearing so far leads me to conclude that UO is once again about to try to coerce or outright force players to do that which they refuse to do.

Time will tell if my fears are well founded or woefully misplaced.

However, I am not about to plunk down money for any expansion if it seeks to return me to a "wild, wild, west" experience which came closer to driving me away from UO than anything else the Developers have ever done.

I cannot help but wonder if I am alone with these thoughts, or if far more share such thoughts than I or the Developers may even imagine.

What say the Folks???

you do know you can go play the expansion right now... for free.
so no need to wait and see.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everytime someone blows something a dev says out of proportion/context, Jesus kills a kitten.

Please think of the kittens, wont you?

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah... I don't mind saying it again in this thread, since it's being taken in such a wrong way.

He was talking about two things:

One, we added to Champ Spawns to the Stygian Abyss. You aren't required to pass through them, they're on the sides as optional content, and they're Felucca ruleset. This was related to the "care bear" comment about how dangerous the Abyss could be.

Two, no. We're never going to make a large-scale change to the current game that would force people to play in a new ruleset. We'd be fools, absolute fools, to ruin such a good thing we've already got.

Anything we add for PvP would be self-contained and not affect the way you currently play the game (unless you chose to participate by going to the place in question, etc).
Why is it whenever a Trammy complains, the devs reply(as they should), but yet when Fel players complain about the rampant cheating which we all know is going(the devs are well aware too) we get nothing but silence. Its not as tho this is a recent issue here, were talking about things going on for many years now. When is EA going to learn that burying thier collective heads in the sand and allowing the cheating to go on unhindered is always going to be a detriment to Fel. As I understand it from reading beta Tos agreement there is software available to scan active memory or something of the sort that could be put in place. Problem is I get the feeling EA will chicken out once they realize just how many people are cheating. My question is will this software be put in place and be active or is it just going to be the same old business as usual for EAs paying "cheaters"?

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Folks,

A recent interview with Josh & Calvin (currently on this page) has many buzzing about what is contained within the Stygian Abyss expansion, and what is coming to UO's future.

I have never downloaded KR, nor the Enhanced Client. And as I write this, I am inclined NOT to purchase SA. I am strongly leaning toward waiting and reading what others experience before making my final decisions concerning SA and the enhanced client.

I have played UO continuously for 12 years. I currently pay for 10+ accounts. I simply cannot see, nor afford really, to gamble on an enhanced client and a new expansion, both which appear unappealing to me based upon the comments in the aforementioned interview, and in the Forums for the new client and for SA.

I hope I am wrong, but what I'm hearing so far leads me to conclude that UO is once again about to try to coerce or outright force players to do that which they refuse to do.

However, I am not about to plunk down money for any expansion if it seeks to return me to a "wild, wild, west" experience which came closer to driving me away from UO than anything else the Developers have ever done.

I cannot help but wonder if I am alone with these thoughts, or if far more share such thoughts than I or the Developers may even imagine.

What say the Folks???
solution: play the expansion on the classic client

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was prepared to do the expansion before the interview.

I am still prepared to the expansion despite the interview.

In short the interview had not influence on my decision.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have tried the new SA (Enhanced), not impressed at all. Things to me are not crisp, but blurry/hazy would be a better description I guess. Many items, creatures are out of proportion in size, learning many new commands to do whats easy in 2D isn't my cup of tea. So I will stick with the Classic 2D myself. Yes some things are nice & easier in the Enhanced, but they do not outweigh the negatives for me. The couple of comments Mr Calvin made also did not impress me towards UO customers. The "Care Bear" one especially, an as a PR Rep for UO, that comment should never have been made. That one comment alienated many folks. I myself have 6 accounts, my son 1, so 7 between our family, I highly doubt I will get the upgrade. Yes the new area is fantastic from what I have seen on the shard. But for $30 an account I'll keep my money in my pocket til we see what else is up EA's sleeve as he stated. To me after 9 1/2 yrs, I won't drop a client I am more then familiar with to relearn the game again by getting use to a new client (I have given it hrs of trying to get use to it & navigate in it) that the UO experience & feel to me is a lot different. As far as the expansion, I think I have spent enough money in expansions, account add on's over the years & with today's economy, personally $30 an account is way too much to dish out for just a game. Just my opinion & 2 cents for what it's worth.
that is kind of bad... you're a uo moderator and you still think that you are being forced to use the enhanced client.... how many times has it been posted that you can use 2d or enhanced.......

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pretty friggin' ridicuous I've been playing UOKR for over 2 years now and the a decision has been made going to do away with the UOKR client permanently. If SA client was better I would have no problem with switching over but clearly anyone can see the graphics are no where near as good as what's in UOKR. The graphics are **** poor at best and a step backwards without question.

And all this stuff you've been posting on Stratics Draconi should be on the Herald!

You need to keep players informed about the changes and what's going on with the future because these are major changes. Like not having UOKR available anymore...

Not to be a jerk but it seems pretty amateurish of whoever is in charge not to put all these decisions and all this forth coming material onto the Herald and having posted on stratics first.

I won't be buying SA and I will be canceling my subscriptions because of the removal of UOKR. It's pretty effin' stupid of you guys not to give players options (UOKR) when that client has been around over 2 years now.

I'll keep an eye on UO in the future because I always consider it my home. If and when you get some graphics that are on par with UOKR I'll come back but I think it's a **** poor business decision on your part to pull the plug on UOKR.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will we be able to access the new content with the 2d client? I'd heard that SA was going to be KR only and that the 2d client would be scrapped after 95% of the subscribers were using the KR client:popcorn:

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please read the new sticky FAQ at the top of the page. All your official answers are there.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm. I'm not convinced. They were pretty adamant that it would be KR only. Why on earth would they change their minds?

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
-SA expansion will be for both 2D and the new SA client
-you do not have to use the Enhanced SA client to play the new expansion and gargoyle races etc..
-yes you can play in the abyss with your existing 2D client
-the old story of SA being a KR only exapansion has been put to rest and not true
-.....once you buy the expansion..you can play using your usual 2D client

hehe

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
-SA expansion will be for both 2D and the new SA client
-you do not have to use the Enhanced SA client to play the new expansion and gargoyle races etc..
-yes you can play in the abyss with your existing 2D client
-the old story of SA being a KR only exapansion has been put to rest and not true
-.....once you buy the expansion..you can play using your usual 2D client
Are you sure? I heard it was KR only.

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
can only access this using the 3D client
glasses will come via mail with purchase of the expansion

L

Lore Master

All i can say is iI am upgrading all 3 of my accounts to the Stygian abyss expansion but if Tram, Malas, Tokuna or Ish is ever converted to fel or to all fel rules I will be leaving UO if item insurance is ever removed I will be leaving UO. forcing players into pvp or removing item insurance is not a good Business move it will lose more players and accounts then it brings in. I love this game and have been playing over 7 and a half years now but i would quit instantly if either of those things happened.

S

Stupid Miner

Yeah, uh, you guys wait and see... I'll save you all a housing spot. I swear :p

ACB1961

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
10 accounts is a whole lot of money a year, sorta. I mean its not really, but when you figure in upgrading etc, it gets a lil' costly. I'm glad we only have 4, its enough to have pretty much any sort of chars you want, but not so much money it makes any real difference.

I can see waiting, if you don't really want any new content. But, for us we are really enjoying Mondain's and are very excited about the SA content.

M

MorganaLeFey

Yeah... I don't mind saying it again in this thread, since it's being taken in such a wrong way.

He was talking about two things:

One, we added to Champ Spawns to the Stygian Abyss. You aren't required to pass through them, they're on the sides as optional content, and they're Felucca ruleset. This was related to the "care bear" comment about how dangerous the Abyss could be.

Two, no. We're never going to make a large-scale change to the current game that would force people to play in a new ruleset. We'd be fools, absolute fools, to ruin such a good thing we've already got.

Anything we add for PvP would be self-contained and not affect the way you currently play the game (unless you chose to participate by going to the place in question, etc).
Thank you Draconi! We love y'all for all the work and patience y'all do for us unappreciative folk! :thumbsup:

(Erm, speaking for myself and my relations who play UO, that is.)

M

Merik

Hmmm..... I am only buying one copy for one account.

Five Reasons

One: I wont be able to do my job for SA reporting if I don't

Two: It does look nice and Id rather learn it with people then have them
teach me how to play it and wait around for them to get to teaching me.

Three: I am almost positive Draconi, Chrissay and Wilki wouldn't screw over the UO community with something that would destroy it.

Four: I wont buy more then one because if it flops I'm not wasting my money.

Five: 30.00 ? Did EA miss the recession part of the economy report?

I only have one thing to say about this and Draconi you KNOW it was coming once I got into SA......... YOUR HOUSE TILES.....UGGHhhhh. I'm sorry to offend whoever created them but they are so plain and ugly. I honestly was hoping the tiles would have a gargoyle perch or a cool fly in balcony. Also I guess I got to excited when I was reading Draconis facebook about adding new house tiles.

So my two things you can do to make it better.

1. Add those classic house tiles that have been missing from customization since it came out!!!! Those AWSOME house tiles!!! How about extra grass tiles? Honestly!!

2. You guys have no problem making Shadow, Crystal, Gargoyle foundations and I asked this question before at a town hall over the radio. Can you PLEASE just add in the fricken Marble foundation, Classic tower foundations, Field stone foundation, Sandstone foundations?!?!?! PLEASE! Your game would look so much more nicer if a home appeared to match like classic houses.

Okay I'm done.....almost....

Finish my bank design. I'm SURE the player base wont mind imbuing not working at launch so my bank can be finished. :dunce:

(Also I am overall VERY impressed with this expansion. I'm just being picky.)

Love,
Gareth

G

Gladius

As for me I won't buy the expansion till it allows the KR client to be used.

-G-

C

Connor_Graham

As for me I won't buy the expansion till it allows the KR client to be used.

-G-
Isn't KR going bye bye once the SA client is released as a finished product? Or at least won't have any more updates?

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have two accounts and I am definately going to upgrade both.

I wonder about the op. From someone with 10+ accounts, I would assume that he would be interested in anything that relates to UO. And I wonder ...
- how many pcs do you have/how many accounts you are running at the same time?
- do you have/use any soulstones?
- how many licenses for uo-assist do you have?
- what about the discontinuing of uoam a few years ago? Dont you fear the day when it stops working with current clients? (Chances are there, that data stream might get drastically changed one day to better prevent cheating.)
The new client might not have the look-and-feel of the classic 2d client but it has a lot of funtionality, which is only possible with mentioned tools. The EC is a little downgrade from KR but it already looks more stable to me and I like it. But I guess, I ll miss the feature of finding the nearst healer NPC on the map. With modding, there is even more potential ahead. I can drop simple landmarks on the map (for fishing up mibs like I did with UOAM) and it probably wont last too long until someone mods the map for treasure-spots etc. And that is only about the map. Have a look at your own, try and learn the new things

As for that discussed interview ... some of those parts are simply not realistic ....
Come on ... 'something that everybody wants' (Cal called it something like wild wild west feeling)? I cant recall of ANYTHING that everybody of a community as old as this one and specialy this one wants. Oh wait ... maybe with one exception, that would be greatly welcomed by every todays player .... A decrease of todays subcription costs. But i dont expect this to happen. :p

T

Thangorodrim

Hail Folks,

What say the Folks???
Hopefully your panic attack has receded.

I will pre-order the expansion for both of my two accounts.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do people really have 10+ accounts? that's 50+ characters at least
160 equipped and trained characters for me and still over 10 accounts. (The rest of the characters just collect holiday stuff, if I bother logging them in on time.) I've been working on getting down to a much smaller number of accounts but am seriously contemplating just walking away completely. Very very burned out.

S

StifledArgument

I am onboard for my whole 2 accounts, yes 2! Holy moly! I keep hoping I can get my hubby to come back too. He is getting very interested in what I am doing with the beta, so I might get him to come back and bring his 2 accounts. I don't know if I will use the Enhanced Client. I LOVE it, but it's performance on my system when I have never had a problem with any other game (even cranked up to highest settings) makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a spork. I stutter step, lag, and have died to to this serious stutter lag more times than I can count.

I don't think the dev team would do something drastic, that would be bad for everyone as Draconi has just stated. I do however think that the devs need to consider doing something for the Fel/PvPers out there, a large publish or expansion for them alone. I don't pvp, and I hardly go to Fel (yes, <-"care bear" here, burn the witch!) but I can see they need something else, maybe the whole pirate expansion idea, and if it is inspiring enough I would go to Fel more too. Or invasions to Tram would be kind of cool, I hate being ganked and everything, but it would keep you on your toes for a bit :)

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On Account #1 I will make a new Garg char imbuer w/50 Imbue/50 mystic in 7th char slot ::: wonder if the earlybird token is account specefic or if I can transfer it?? :::

On acct# 2 I will "transform" exisiting char to a Thrower/Swords Garg, make a throwaway char in 7th char slot with 50 Throw/50 Mystic, soulstone the 2 skills to the Transformer, then nuke throwaway char ...

On acct#3 - Wait and see how live expansion is, then if I like it, upgrade while Promo still avail...

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All i can say is iI am upgrading all 3 of my accounts to the Stygian abyss expansion but if Tram, Malas, Tokuna or Ish is ever converted to fel or to all fel rules I will be leaving UO if item insurance is ever removed I will be leaving UO. forcing players into pvp or removing item insurance is not a good Business move it will lose more players and accounts then it brings in. I love this game and have been playing over 7 and a half years now but i would quit instantly if either of those things happened.

So I guess we won't be seeing you on Siege Perilous then? :next:

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That being said, I will probably upgrade one or two of my four accounts unless a special discount 5pack is offered. . hint hint hint

c'mon!!

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Call me contrary, but the more folks spout about "wait & see," the more it encourages me to fork out for the three accounts I have still active.

Keep it up, BED, and I may wind up reactivating the other two dormant accounts just to upgrade'em.

Incidentally, the spoiler screenies are awesome! :thumbsup:

O

Old Man of UO

... Incidentally, the spoiler screenies are awesome! :thumbsup:
I love the spoilers! I barely have any free time to play right now, and these are about the only way I'll get to see the new content for the next few weeks.

L

lucksi

I have just tried the new client and I have to say, it´s way worse then KR (and that´s saying something)

The client is unacceptably slow and crashes constantly? Great. Sign me up.

Dear developers: Please PLEASE give the 2D client ALL the features you will include in SA and not leave a whole lot out like you did with KR. But I´m guessing you won´t.

I´m old, I don´t care overly for nifty gfx, I just want a playable client. If I´d go for the best gfx, I wouldn´t be playing UO in the first place.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Hmmm..."self contained"? "PvP"? "going to the place in question"?

Dare we utter the words...Classic Shard? :D