• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) How many regulars would you estimate?

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I'm wondering how many regulars that Chessy has. I'll define regular as someone who logs in on average at least 3x per week, and averages at least 3 hours per week of play time - on Chessy.

For me, it's hard to get a decent sense as I play from Germany, so I am usually logged out for the everning by midnight CET, which is 6PM Eastern.

What's your estimate on how many total players there are around at any given time?

I know when I log in on Saturday mornings, things are pretty empty, but I still get the sense that even when I am playing when it's particularly "full" there's maybe a few hundred people online.

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't know what kind of number to assign that to be honest. I usually log in during the evenings from around 6-7pm to attend player and EM events. Although I can pretty reliably find 2-3 actively chatting people at almost all times. For events there is a core group of around 10-15 players I see consistently (and not just at EM events as they are usually larger with another group of players who only attend them)/

Duke_Hammerfest

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im a regular...as long as I am not crafting. when I craft/raise mule skills in UO I play Diablo 3 and I window them both so I can go back and forth, so im kinda AFK from UO

But ...I usually log in a hour + daily in UO on a normal day. longer on the weekends. m-f = 630 to 8pm WA state time. weekends mostly daytime

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im a regular...as long as I am not crafting. when I craft/raise mule skills in UO I play Diablo 3 and I window them both so I can go back and forth, so im kinda AFK from UO
Cool, admitting to afk macroing on Stratics.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Actually, he admitted to "at-keyboard-but-in-a-different-window" macroing. Not quite the same thing...

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's exactly the same thing. If you're not paying attention to it, it's afk.

Duke_Hammerfest

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im " kinda " paying attention. i have both screens visible.

do you expect me to stay and stare at my window when i click " make max" on UO ? lol

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its not hard to estimate ...on quiter shards

all shards...are the same and have a little over 200 castle spots.....thats spots u can actually fit castle on...if the landmass was emoty.....+.100/100 tram and fel..

Low population shards have free empty castle spaces...so common sense tells u something....under 200 playing that shard

Chezzy is different...more an avaerage populous were castles are all taken....so that puts u at over 200....and most of the keep spots and nice 1818s are taken too...so lets double that......all shards bar atlantic maybe gl...have room for many large towers/1818s all over on all facets

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Erm....lol....rightio only 5% read the only forum for the game they play...mmmm...[not]....maybe try 50% or more

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Erm....lol....rightio only 5% read the only forum for the game they play...mmmm...[not]....maybe try 50% or more
There are quite a few other UO related forums, and perhaps he means this particular forum, not Stratics as a whole.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you'd be surprised at how many players of any MMO don't take part in anything outside of the game itself.
A large number don't even keep up to date with thing like announcements and patch notes.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play a ton of games. Stratics is the only game-specific forum I read.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you'd be surprised at how many players of any MMO don't take part in anything outside of the game itself.
A large number don't even keep up to date with thing like announcements and patch notes.
the patch notes are always 4 months out of date....

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
besides u wanted to know about population...ive told you above..ill tell u below

quiet shards are easy to estimate...the likes of LA, Drachs, Airang etc etc

there are just over 200 castle spots on a shard [tram and fel] so if 1/4 are empty or 1/2 are empty....then common sense tells us player numbers on these quiet shards...ie 150 castle spots used = 150 paying players ...we can disregard other housing due to players with 2 accounts or more and there more likely to have a luna house and a castle or a castle and a nice other.....or simply 2 castles ..

Alas someone will dismiss this common sense...for some bizarre reasoning

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the patch notes are always 4 months out of date....
That's really neither here nor there.
Taking active part in the community outside of the game is not something that most MMO players do.

besides u wanted to know about population...ive told you above..ill tell u below

quiet shards are easy to estimate...the likes of LA, Drachs, Airang etc etc

there are just over 200 castle spots on a shard [tram and fel] so if 1/4 are empty or 1/2 are empty....then common sense tells us player numbers on these quiet shards...ie 150 castle spots used = 150 paying players ...we can disregard other housing due to players with 2 accounts or more and there more likely to have a luna house and a castle or a castle and a nice other.....or simply 2 castles ..

Alas someone will dismiss this common sense...for some bizarre reasoning
Why would these people with multiple accounts not have another castle, unless they prefer another house type to castles, they why would they have a castle in the first place?

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't understand why someone would want a big ugly castle or keep instead of an 18x18 they can be creative with

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[whatever] the maths makes sense
Mathematically, sure, but that's not the point. The point is your hypothesis is incorrect. Not everyone owns a castle, nor wants to own one.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm wondering how many regulars that Chessy has. I'll define regular as someone who logs in on average at least 3x per week, and averages at least 3 hours per week of play time - on Chessy.
Not many anymore. I'd guess 75-100 by your definition, if that.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im " kinda " paying attention. i have both screens visible.

do you expect me to stay and stare at my window when i click " make max" on UO ? lol
I have never cheated or hacked or used any of the more infamous programs. But I can tell you that I will often browse the internet or read a book or do the crossword as I click "make max" or press my "cast nether cyclone 10 times" button. If you think that makes me as guilty as the people who script mine or who used to set up those afk 8x8 boat scripts to train their magery, so be it.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
who cares.. i leave my g dragon on blackthorn while watching.. while at work to get drops. i do nothing but watch 12 hrs a day

Duke_Hammerfest

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have never cheated or hacked or used any of the more infamous programs. But I can tell you that I will often browse the internet or read a book or do the crossword as I click "make max" or press my "cast nether cyclone 10 times" button. If you think that makes me as guilty as the people who script mine or who used to set up those afk 8x8 boat scripts to train their magery, so be it.

What i meant to say Ash is i agree.

Last edited:

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol how is that different from what i do with Diablo 3? so the minute i look at diablo 3 windowed im afk macroing? that means the minute you look at the internet or read a book you are afk macroing too.
It's true. Both are AFK macroing. If you're not paying attention to the game you shouldn't be performing an action.

Duke_Hammerfest

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's true. Both are AFK macroing. If you're not paying attention to the game you shouldn't be performing an action.
im not afk , im there. if i slip into a different window or leave to get a pop or do rl stuff for a second i am not gonna log out and them relog. if UO didnt want this type of action then they need to remove " Make Max/ Make number " . tree falls in the forest and so forth :p
sounds like Aran just wants to troll. since we are severely off topic now lol

So far, Chessy ( cause its always been home) , Atlantic and Siege seem like the best choices for me as far as number of people on during my logon times

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, sometimes people just don't agree with you when you're wrong. Imagine that!

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor