• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How many houses can we own ?

Pix

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I think I found the answer, just checking here ...

From what I have found I can only place one house - not one per shard; just one single house on any one of the main shards, ie I can have one on Pacific only, I can't have one on Pacific and one of Atlantic.

If I own one on Pacific and place one on Atlantic, the one on Pac is then condemned - correct ?

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Yes that is correct.
But in addition to Pacific you can also own a house on Siege Perilous.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Yepp... one per account..

but...

that's how they get so many multiple account folks ;)

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, not quite true... You can own a second house on Siege.

Pix

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I was wanting to try running a vendor on Atlantic .... how do things sell on Siege ? :)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I was wanting to try running a vendor on Atlantic .... how do things sell on Siege ? :)
Can't transfer to or from Siege.. also no insurance etc there. Some folks seem to love it that way.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You could probably find a house with vendor rentals, maybe even a free one. With the advent of vendor search, any house could potentially be a good spot.

Siege is...uhm...Siege. Yeah...

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Technically you can have three houses.
  1. Pacific or any other normal shard
  2. Siege Perilous or Mugen
  3. Test Shard
As for vendors, I own an in town Luna house on Atlantic and give out free rental vendors to whoever needs them. I'd gladly give you a spot, but the house is completely filled at the moment. I can try to open one for you if you want though, sometimes inactive vendor owners are willing to drop their vendor for a new active person to take over the spot.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
SPOILER ....methinks this one house rule will change after the 20th anni....hopefully anyways...just a BIG hunch

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok to explain that comment on callum_Fitzhugh's spot...

Back in the first months of 97 UO you could place any number of homes by one character..
In other words your bard Joe Q Public could have 10 houses with his name on it that were on that account...

That soon changed as the first Dev saw housing spring up rather fast.
This led to 1 house per character rule.. at that time you could only have 5 characters per account, per shard.

Again at a time of shard's housing getting out of hand and the cry for more land for homes another dev team proclaimed 1 house per account per shard.
This turned a lot of accounts into Grandfathered ones...
Change one to a NEW design* (the dev came out with plot homes) and you condemmed the rest to 1 house only and if your were not carefull it was not the one you would have chosen....a lot of hastles.

Again not long after this......... again players still wanted more land..
A different Dev team again had a brilliant idea (I still say a bean counter gave them this one)
TO make the Accounts 1 house total no matter the shard.

At this time Siege and Mugen didn't have the option of a second house being not counted so if you changed a house on a prodo shard the siege house fell if you didn't give it to another empty account.

A few years ago Mesanna took it up after a few Meet & Greets of players requesting the 2 shards (Siege and Mugen) not count to the house limit.

I sent in along with from what I have heard many asking that for the 20th each account get a deed for a small house that wouldn't count to the one house rule.
Sort of a house you could place on any shard as a second house.
As far as I have heard this is not in the offering....
What is offered will be at the 20th party 3 castles will be given away in a random generated way from the attending people also on TC1 a machine that will take your account id when you click on it (one click per account) to get 3 more castles for those of us who cant go to the party.
Now to clarify this as a player asked.. These castles will be given and added to any account you have if you win as a GRANDFATHERED house.
Meaning if you only have 1 account you do not need open a second to take the castle!
Also as a side note to those of you...
IF I am not mistaken Mesanna said the homes she confiscated from Clops will also be raffled off by the same method of maching clicking.
These will NOT be grandfathered to you. You will need a empty account to take possession of them. (the one you win )

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
hmm when i left you could have only one house per account, when did they let you place a house on seige or mugen without it counting as your 1 house?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
SPOILER ....methinks this one house rule will change after the 20th anni....hopefully anyways...just a BIG hunch
I hope you're right, but I can't imagine that happening - but it does make me wonder why you would think that - unless you're just talking about those castles they're going to give away

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
hmm when i left you could have only one house per account, when did they let you place a house on seige or mugen without it counting as your 1 house?
That started about 2 years ago, the Siege population thought it would be a way to increase the amount of players on their shard if anyone from other shards could play there too without housing limitations.

It didn't really work out very well. It just caused people from other shards to place houses there simply because they could, even though they never actually played there. Which also caused a lot of prime house spots to become unobtainable for actual Siege players, since they have no idea who owns it or what shard they are from so cannot buy the house from the other player.

Reactions: afk

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope you're right, but I can't imagine that happening - but it does make me wonder why you would think that - unless you're just talking about those castles they're going to give away
will be more of a real cash buy... 7x7 or 8x8 deed or whatever....only '' one extra per account'' ......purchased via the store!!!!!!....will be a big seller too... u read it here first....like i say ... only a BIG hunch

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Technically you can have three houses.
  1. Pacific or any other normal shard
  2. Siege Perilous or Mugen
  3. Test Shard
As for vendors, I own an in town Luna house on Atlantic and give out free rental vendors to whoever needs them. I'd gladly give you a spot, but the house is completely filled at the moment. I can try to open one for you if you want though, sometimes inactive vendor owners are willing to drop their vendor for a new active person to take over the spot.
Free spots? I think I have been paying 150k a week for a couple years now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Free spots? I think I have been paying 150k a week for a couple years now

Yeah, I changed the price to free on all vendors about 2 years ago, and tried my best to find the people who were already paying for theirs so we could change the contract to free. I was able to find most, but not everyone, and a few chose to keep paying even after I told them about the free thing for some reason. It appears you were one of the ones I was unable to find at the time, which I apologize for. I am of course happy to make your vendor free now if you want, and will also gladly refund the rent you've been paying. 150k a week for two years would be 15,600,000. I can give you the refunded gold when we switch your contract over to free, whenever is convenient for you.

I can't change a contract price without the the vendor owner standing right there to renew it again, otherwise the vendor falls, so we do need to meet up for it. I'll be available the rest of the day today if that works for you. My ICQ is 678566021.

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, I changed the price to free on all vendors about 2 years ago, and tried my best to find the people who were already paying for theirs so we could change the contract to free. I was able to find most, but not everyone, and a few chose to keep paying even after I told them about the free thing for some reason. It appears you were one of the ones I was unable to find at the time, which I apologize for. I am of course happy to make your vendor free now if you want, and will also gladly refund the rent you've been paying. 150k a week for two years would be 15,600,000. I can give you the refunded gold when we switch your contract over to free, whenever is convenient for you.

I can't change a contract price without the the vendor owner standing right there to renew it again, otherwise the vendor falls, so we do need to meet up for it. I'll be available the rest of the day today if that works for you. My ICQ is 678566021.
Thanks Captn was just making a joke and your math shows what a token it is anyway for such a good spot, all is well.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be fair there was a short term boost in the Siege population followed by a long term problem of a lot of dirt plots and ghost houses. Personally I would love for them to allow a second house on any shard. The Ghost houses and Dirt Plots on Siege would be gone almost over night. I have talked to several folks on prodo that brag about having a house on Siege but can't remember where it is................

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That started about 2 years ago, the Siege population thought it would be a way to increase the amount of players on their shard if anyone from other shards could play there too without housing limitations.

It didn't really work out very well. It just caused people from other shards to place houses there simply because they could, even though they never actually played there. Which also caused a lot of prime house spots to become unobtainable for actual Siege players, since they have no idea who owns it or what shard they are from so cannot buy the house from the other player.
It wasn't the Siege population that voiced this, it was less than 5 people. Not only did it wreck some locations with empty houses, it also caused Castles to get placed and then sold to people from Prodo, who still to this day, own a castle here but have Mythic Token skills or less. You'll get a few that will respond and claim to be full time Siege citizens, but those of us who know........know.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
an extra dollar a month for an extra house (up to 5) would be nice - kinda like the increased stable slots idea :)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
an extra dollar a month for an extra house (up to 5) would be nice - kinda like the increased stable slots idea :)
An issue with this would be the large loss of revenue for UO though. The main reason people have more than a couple accounts is for housing. Why would someone continue to pay $15 per month for each of their 20 accounts, when they can just pay 4 accounts at $15 plus the extra $1 a month for each additional house?

It would cause almost all of the multi-accounts to get closed, and everyone would go back to only having 1 or 2 accounts, resulting in tens of thousands of dollars in yearly losses for UO.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An issue with this would be the large loss of revenue for UO though. The main reason people have more than a couple accounts is for housing. Why would someone continue to pay $15 per month for each of their 20 accounts, when they can just pay 4 accounts at $15 plus the extra $1 a month for each additional house?

It would cause almost all of the multi-accounts to get closed, and everyone would go back to only having 1 or 2 accounts, resulting in tens of thousands of dollars in yearly losses for UO.
There are other reasons to keep multiple accts open (That do not involve cheating or multiboxing) I would never close my 6 oldest accts heck I struggled to close some of the 2000-2004 accts. The large population of scripters and multi boxers also require multiple accounts beyond trial accts. I would limit it to 1 additional house per acct and not on the same shard.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What you don't have 8 on Siege and 8 more TC1 :)
Nope all on ATL...but that's a thought. I've thought about playing on Seige but I have a feeling I would be hunted unmercifully.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Siege is not as brutal as it has a Rep for...
Long ago yea...
We don't try to kill off the new arival's ... that would be dumb if you want to keep the game going on your shard.
I have noticed a great deal of houses around my places on siege that poped in after the change...
I have yet to see their owners or meet them.... even in chat.
I would like to see those who rushed in to place come in the shard and play.
You don't need a PK mindset.. we like crafters too.
Don't be afraid of death ...

Now for that house idea..
No way. Capt N is very much on the button.
To price a 2nd house into a buy it now for one price would kill off a good deal of accounts.
I will admit a good deal of my lesser accounts would go off perma if I could put those house's they got on a better account with another house legally.
That's not a good thing for EA/Broadsword they are a balancing act of income keeping the game open if you think about it.
Now had this been a few years ago when many of the bigger prodo shards still had a good showing of players... it might have stopped a great deal of them leaving the game.
Now if there is a way around this that would keep the current accounts open and give a second house option the Dev would seriously consider it.
ITs finding this way that wouldn't effect this very hot topc.
Any way you cut it there is always a group of accounts that will go poof and the income will be effected.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I do play Siege from time to time... though I don't much say anything at all in chat... that's like advertising "Hey I'm in game doing something come find me and kill me."... which I don't do. Generally I don't mess with anyone I see on Siege... I mind my own business and keep to myself mostly... used to hang with GIL sometimes... but most times I'm on no one is around.