• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How long will a dead pet last?

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Say you're in Doom and your bonded pet dies, but you don't feel like leaving. How long before the pet goes poof?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Not sure. I don't think anyone has ever sat and watched how long it takes for it to disappear.

In the past (after Mondain's Legacy) I know it was hours. Lost power once due to a storm, did not get it back for like 12 hours (no server reboot during that period) and pet was still there. I have no idea how many changes have been made to that 'system' since then.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not sure. I don't think anyone has ever sat and watched how long it takes for it to disappear.

In the past (after Mondain's Legacy) I know it was hours. Lost power once due to a storm, did not get it back for like 12 hours (no server reboot during that period) and pet was still there. I have no idea how many changes have been made to that 'system' since then.
since you lost power the maximum amount of time your character was logged in was how long it took the character to log out (5 minutes tops). The pet, however, gets "stabled" the second you lose connection, so no matter how long the power outage lasted the pet was safe the second you lost connection.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
since you lost power the maximum amount of time your character was logged in was how long it took the character to log out (5 minutes tops). The pet, however, gets "stabled" the second you lose connection, so no matter how long the power outage lasted the pet was safe the second you lost connection.
Does that apply to dead pets as well?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
That was not the case back then.. that was during the era of the 'Ghost Pet'. Pets ghost would stay around even though the person was logged out.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The only pets that don't log out with the owner anymore, are ones with cargo in their pack, and aren't mounted.

The pre-ML era pet system was really borked.

Sometime around 2003-2004 there was another undead invasion of Trinsic on Lake Austin. I went there on my Paladin/TH riding my giant beetle. Lag was obscenely horrible (the worst lag I've ever seen except at modern events, only from actual players not multiboxers). I died, my pet died, and I got telestormed to Cove as a ghost. There was no sign of my beetle, and my followers said 0/5.
I wrote it off, and got another one and gave it the same name.

cut to 2005. I'm now playing with an entirely different guild/alliance, and one of them says "Don't you have a beetle named 'Bailey'?"
I say yeah, they tell me they see my beetle's ghost up on the mountain behind Cove, on the fringe of the screen. I find this amazing, as I'm RIDING my beetle.
Then I remember the telestorm where I lost my beetle and ended up in Cove as a ghost.
We go there as a group to investigate. They take me to that one spot, and sure enough there's a beetle ghost up there named "Bailey".
I say "All follow me"
The Beetle runs off the mountain to my side, and my control slots jump to 6/5. This is a problem as neither pet will work right with the overcount.
My guild rezzes my old beetle. I pass it to one of them to hold, log into my mage, and have them transfer the beetle to it.

a week later, the beetle that had been missing for over a year as a ghost bonded to my mage, and I still have that beetle to this day (though I think I released and retamed it with the mage to get it to drop to 1 slot back when that was still possible).

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just my opinion, but statue pets get lost faster. Now if I log in to dead pets I rez them right away. I lost several 16th anni horses this month, including a rare color. I haven't had any of these issues on my tamer in a longggggg time, so I believe the statue pets could have bugs.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk