• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How does the huge Classic wow launch relate to that age old question about UO...

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
reported for spreading lies.
incorrect that Pinco lied or even did anything close to lying. i remember that post -- and that shard. cal's post wasin the context of u custom sharders thinking that this meant it was coming soon.

was its short term success and ultimate failure designed 2 make a point about a custom shard? perhasp, perhaps not. but either way pinco wasn't lying, yu're just engaging in a personal attack. when that's alll u got, that's what u use.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A few posts in this thread have been removed as a result of quoting one post which broke the rules and had to be removed. Going forward, I'd also like to please ask everyone not to purposely falsely report people multiple times if they are not breaking the Stratics Rules of Conduct, as that is considered abuse of the report button and will result in the malicious/excessive reporter receiving a warning for it as well as a thread-ban from this thread. Here are the Stratics Rules of Conduct: Rules of Conduct | Stratics Community Forums

Thanks.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Calvin Crowner was a nice person, but had a difficult time telling people "no," and said some rather unfortunate things in his attempts to garner players to his side.

His ridiculous List™, the year-long classic shard con where the announcement was always...just...out...of...reach (until he was finally baited into admitting it wasn't happening), and some first-rate passive-aggressive videos. But it was always clear who was running the show: Mesanna.

She has said no. Several times, in public.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My 2 cents ...

As other pointed out, there is a large free shard uo community. These shards specialice in extaxtly one era. Some second age and rennaissance era shards reproduce the original era even close to 100% by going through the original patch note archives. We also know that subscription rates peaked during the ren era, thats why most of the successful free shards are based in that era.

Now, as UO was the pioneer of the mmoprgs, when the internet was the wild wild west, these free shards owners have been operating in a grey zone. By the time WOW came along, new rules were established and enforced (e.g the DMCA) and private WOW shards legally shut down by blizzard.

This has never happened with UO, either because of the legal loophole, as UO went live when the internet was legally a telephone line, or because of EAs incompetence.

For WOW, it makes perfect sense to release a nostalgia shard to cash in from retro players, but for UO, the hundred thousands of dollars returning players have spent to go back to their favorite era has been already leeched by the private shard owners.

Even if the original era-specific codes were available, few players will move from their private shards where they invested hundreds to thousands of dollars and countless hours just to start from zero here and pay a monthly subscription fee.

If EA hired an army of lawyers and shut down the grey markets, then there would be perhaps a chance for official era-specific shards, but that will not happen. They cannot even get legally rid of that daily russian RMT spammer who is clearly violating the TOS.

Last edited:

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
further if u find posts of mine in the other thread, the one i linked 2 earlier where i demolished the arguments 4 a custom shard on every level, then you'll see i addressed the free shards. i've found reasons to think they aren't as popular as the custom rules supporters say. my metrics are kinda limited but it's better than the speculation you'll get out of the custom shardies.

even if you could get around this somehow, then there's the fact that people are getting things for free now like you point out.

But wait, theres more!!!

free shards offer services real uo can't. better in-game support, better enforcement of rules, unique content, RP-heavy and RP support, browser chat interface, unique customized rules sets, stuff like that. google ultima online free shards and you'll see a list of a bunch of them, and there's a lot of variety. enough to demolish the argument that there's uniformity about what these people want. some of these free shards sound more like runequest!!! based on reddit posts the most-popular free shard is post-UO:R (as in it has trammel) but that's not what you'll hear folks talk about.

though some free shards r descrived as pay-2-win, most are free. dedication and commitmemnt to an effort can count for a lot. most of those folks don't need profit, but EA sure as hell will.

so yeah

My 2 cents ...

As other pointed out, there is a large free shard uo community. These shards specialice in extaxtly one era. Some second age and rennaissance era shards reproduce the original era even close to 100% by going through the original patch note archives. We also know that subscription rates peaked during the ren era, thats why most of the successful free shards are based in that era.

Now, as UO was the pioneer of the mmoprgs, when the internet was the wild wild west, these free shards owners have been operating in a grey zone. By the time WOW came along, new rules were established and enforced (e.g the DMCA) and private WOW shards legally shut down by blizzard.

This has never happened with UO, either because of the legal loophole, as UO went live when the internet was legally a telephone line, or because of EAs incompetence.

For WOW, it makes perfect sense to release a nostalgia shard to cash in from retro players, but for UO, the hundred thousands of dollars returning players have spent to go back to their favorite era has been already leeched by the private shard owners.

Even if the original era-specific codes were available, few players will move from their private shards where they invested hundreds to thousands of dollars and countless hours just to start from zero here and pay a monthly subscription fee.

If EA hired an army of lawyers and shut down the grey markets, then there would be perhaps a chance for official era-specific shards, but that will not happen. They cannot even get legally rid of that daily russian RMT spammer who is clearly violating the TOS.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
further if u find posts of mine in the other thread, the one i linked 2 earlier where i demolished the arguments 4 a custom shard on every level, then you'll see i addressed the free shards. i've found reasons to think they aren't as popular as the custom rules supporters say. my metrics are kinda limited but it's better than the speculation you'll get out of the custom shardies.

even if you could get around this somehow, then there's the fact that people are getting things for free now like you point out.

But wait, theres more!!!

free shards offer services real uo can't. better in-game support, better enforcement of rules, unique content, RP-heavy and RP support, browser chat interface, unique customized rules sets, stuff like that. google ultima online free shards and you'll see a list of a bunch of them, and there's a lot of variety. enough to demolish the argument that there's uniformity about what these people want. some of these free shards sound more like runequest!!! based on reddit posts the most-popular free shard is post-UO:R (as in it has trammel) but that's not what you'll hear folks talk about.

though some free shards r descrived as pay-2-win, most are free. dedication and commitmemnt to an effort can count for a lot. most of those folks don't need profit, but EA sure as hell will.

so yeah
Problem with most free shards though is they are usually dominated by those that run them... if you aren't on the "in" crowd don't look for much by way of stuff and look to get burned if you cross any of their "chums" .... also they tend to be rather unreliable and break down a lot.... and are here and gone at the whim of those running them.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Problem with most free shards though is they are usually dominated by those that run them... if you aren't on the "in" crowd don't look for much by way of stuff and look to get burned if you cross any of their "chums" .... also they tend to be rather unreliable and break down a lot.... and are here and gone at the whim of those running them.
So.... The same as the EA/BS shards then?

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Spartan I agree, it wasn't just not acknowledged she didn't seem to have a clue that multi-boxing and multi-clienting were two different things, plus she kept going on about not being able to see a 'switch' no idea what that was all about...