• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How does resisting spells effect your physical/elemental resists?

M

mookin1

I was told resisting spells would make you have a higher base resist, I've been raising my resisting spells quite a bit and so far i've seen no increase to my resists, how does it work? I noticed I had 10 resists base and when I added armor that gave +12 to a resist I ended up with 12 resist and not 22. Does this mean the base resists gained from the resisting spells skill does not stack with resists gain from items?

G

Resisting and resists on armor do NOT stack. Remove all your gear and insure there are no spells on you to mess with your resists. The number in the resists is your base.

That number is the resist you have in each of the 5 until the worn gear takes the resist higher than that number. At GM Resisting I believe the base is all 40 for human, with Elves at 45 Energy.

Armor trumps Resisting in all cases.

M

mookin1

Does resisting spells have any effects other than raising your base resists? If it doesn't, wouldn't that make resisting spells a useless skill if your armor takes you above 40-50 all resists?

G

It gives you a chance to resist lower level spells of the Magery class. Necro spells are not resisted at all or at least very little. It means you might not get cursed, weakened, clumsy or feeblemind cast on you successfully. I believe you also have a shot at resisting magical poison as well ... perhaps a couple others.

G

You will get the debuff spells casted on you CONSTANTLY in PvM (and successfully), all MR does is lower how much they take off your stats.

D

davebobbit

Do resistances go above 40 if you go higher than GM with resisting spells?

M

Meldurh

<blockquote><hr>

It gives you a chance to resist lower level spells of the Magery class. Necro spells are not resisted at all or at least very little. It means you might not get cursed, weakened, clumsy or feeblemind cast on you successfully. I believe you also have a shot at resisting magical poison as well ... perhaps a couple others.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and not paralyzed.
All in all I would not leave home without it.

Sure,they "nerfed" the skill badly with AoS,just an other oversight like leather
armour granting the same protection as plate.
I am sorry,have to bash EA again,its almost 4 years now they didnt fix these
issues,an eternity in the computer era. *sigh*

UncleSham

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
having resists spells makes it so now and then you dont get the effect at all . or in some cases a lesser effect . in pvm, say you'll get poisoned . you can hear the poison sound . but then you get a little message saying "you feel yourself resisting the affects of magic" (or something like that) , and your health bar doesnt turn green. so yay , thats one you "resisted".
other times you get the message but you have no idea what you resisted . doesnt mean it didnt happen , you just may not notice it cause monsters dont display words of power when they cast.

having resist in pvp is a whole other ballgame . you can see that someone tried to do this or that and nothing happens. other things, paralize for instance, are scaled. if you para someone with 120 resist hes not even going to slow down . you para someone with mid range resist hes stuck for a few secconds and then gone . paralize a zero resist guy and hes stuck there a long time.

many of the new templates are quite cramped and its easy to get tempted into just skipping resist (and on some of my strictly pvm guys ill risk it) but in the pvp world , if they find out you have no resist , you can be sure they're gonna play to it.

5% Luck

In PvP Ive notice a high lvl of mages NOT testing a player for the lack of resist spells. I have goten away with it for months now even though its on a stone at home I can add the extra skill in for lack of being tested in a long time.

G

Yeah, i watched a Mage fight a Necro/Macer before, and he kept on casting Mana Drain on the Necro/Macer to make the Macer run out of Mana and run away for a few secs while the Mage healed. The mage got all pissy and claimed to be a 8+ Year Veteran of Mage PvP when I suggested that he use Mana Vampire instead. He kept on Mana Draining the Necro/Macer and eventually got killed by the Necro/Macer. Mana Drain only takes away Mana for like 3-5 secs then gives it back, when Mana Vampire completely drains the Mana of someone with no Resist and gives that Mana to the caster. The victim will have to regenerate the Mana back, taking them out of the fight for awhile.