• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How do you heal your pets?

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Newbie tamer here and have been using throw away pets the last couple of days and they seem to get damaged rather quickly. Since they are bakes, it's no biggy, if they die, I go get a couple more...but to save time...do you find it's easier to heal through vetting or magery...or even a combo of the two?...la

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it helps with your answer...my current template has 115 magery, 80 vetting and no med outside of the gains I get from JoAT...la

Anakena

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use vet and chivalry (4/6).

A good thing is to have dedicated UOassist macroes for healing pets.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use vet and chivalry (4/6).

A good thing is to have dedicated UOassist macroes for healing pets.
That's a good idea. Since I am so new to taming I am not familiar with the macros for the profession.

So outside of the command "all ..." commands and healing...what other macros are good for tamers to use?...la

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always use vet first unless they are taking more damage than just it will cover (then I use vet/greater heal. With 2/6 jewels you can get the heal off before you have to reapply aids) or the creature they are fighting has an area attack (then I use greater heal and hope my mana holds out. I don't have med either, I just have quite a bit of MR on my armor).

Vet heals so much more than a greater heal and allows you to fight tougher monsters with smaller pets. I've been using my little hell kittens to kill balrons lately. It's greatly amusing. mew mew hiss!

I don't have less than GM vet on any of my tamers, though.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It depends on what your fighting. If the monster has an area effect spell, then I'll stand back and just heal using magery, chiv and/or cast spellweaving gift of renewal on pet, otherwise I normally stand near the pet and vet heal and only use the other methods if the pet is loosing heal faster than I can vet.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I typically vet, if I'm doing something like a para blood or bone demon I will mix vet with greater heals initially, because of the big mage spells. If something has an AoE (like succubus) I'll greater heal from afar.

I whisper all my commands. The ones I use are all kill, all follow me, all stop all stay (same macro, two lines), then I use UOA to make a vet macro and just change out the target line when I use a different pet. I also have a UOA macro to dismount and whisper all kill, and one to remount, for my cu.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Without being able to see the action command there should be one for bandages. Near the bottom on the 2D client.

I use that one as the action command, wait target, target nearest follower.

I also have a hot key for Greater Heal Current Target.

I vet, regardless of being in range or not, it sets the current target (I use 1 pet). If I am out of range or can not be in range, then I use the Greater Heal Current Target Hotkey.

Considering that mana regen can be looked at as a reuse timer, you can run both Greater Heal and Vet concurrently. Such that if I am spamming Vet and the Mana is good to go, I can hit that hot key and keep on spamming vet.

U

uoBuoY

Newbie tamer here and have been using throw away pets the last couple of days and they seem to get damaged rather quickly. Since they are bakes, it's no biggy, if they die, I go get a couple more...but to save time...do you find it's easier to heal through vetting or magery...or even a combo of the two?...la
Since you're new, I will ask: do you know about pet bonding?

M

MoneyMaker

I don't know what type of template your using, but peace can be a nice addition for a new tamer who is starting out and learning to use vet or GH.
Gives you time to take care of healing and later can allow you to take on larger prey.
But as far as your original question... Vetting is better for the heal (more hp recovered) but Greater Heal is faster but lower on the hp. Both together makes for rapid healing (vetting making the larger heals while G.H. keeps the pet alive til the bandage is finished).

Glad to see that your giving taming a try.

Z

Zodiac19

I mostly use magery unless i'm attacking a high end mob like the bone deamon in doom then I use both. With max FC/FCR I can spam GH almost as fast as i can hit my macro key. Saves a bunch on bandies as well......

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since you're new, I will ask: do you know about pet bonding?
I'm new to the taming profession (kinda...I've started tamers and have GM'd the skills numerous times years ago) not to the game. Sure I know about bonding. I have a couple of bakes sitting in the stable, I should be able to get them bonded on Sunday. In the meantime, I hunt with throw away tames. So they are untrained and need healing alot.

To be honest, I am very new to the whole PvM portion of the game. I was running around last night "all killing" any monster I could find to see how they were in regards to toughness. Regardless to say, I spent alot of my time taming up new bakes to replace the ones which had just died, lol.

One thing I did learn last night...pet balls require bonding to use. I never knew that before. I had always stolen them and then sold them in the past. ROFL. I have a crate that has about 50 of them in my house with various charges and names to pets that have probably long since been attached to another PB.

It's amazing to me how much of UO I have never really played, and only lately have gotten involved in. I finally have a mule so I am learning about crafting, and now that soul stones are available, I don't have to drop taming when I get bored of it...la

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mostly use magery unless i'm attacking a high end mob like the bone deamon in doom then I use both. With max FC/FCR I can spam GH almost as fast as i can hit my macro key. Saves a bunch on bandies as well......
Do you use a high end luck/lrc suit, or do you just run around with a bunch of regs. What is funny is that I have never run around with an lrc suit except to train magery, lol...la

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm new to the taming profession (kinda...I've started tamers and have GM'd the skills numerous times years ago) not to the game. Sure I know about bonding. I have a couple of bakes sitting in the stable, I should be able to get them bonded on Sunday. In the meantime, I hunt with throw away tames. So they are untrained and need healing alot.

To be honest, I am very new to the whole PvM portion of the game. I was running around last night "all killing" any monster I could find to see how they were in regards to toughness. Regardless to say, I spent alot of my time taming up new bakes to replace the ones which had just died, lol.

One thing I did learn last night...pet balls require bonding to use. I never knew that before. I had always stolen them and then sold them in the past. ROFL. I have a crate that has about 50 of them in my house with various charges and names to pets that have probably long since been attached to another PB.

It's amazing to me how much of UO I have never really played, and only lately have gotten involved in. I finally have a mule so I am learning about crafting, and now that soul stones are available, I don't have to drop taming when I get bored of it...la
Just to say .... You know you can relink the pet summoning balls and that they do not work ever where.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a list of places they do not work. I figured once I started using them I would find out. As a stealth tamer, I can carry around muliple pet balls, stealth into a harder area and then spring my pets onto the bad guys...or so I am picturing it. :) ...la

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a list of places they do not work. I figured once I started using them I would find out. As a stealth tamer, I can carry around muliple pet balls, stealth into a harder area and then spring my pets onto the bad guys...or so I am picturing it. :) ...la
Others can give you better info, as a rule of thumb, if you can not teleport or recall or gate then you are not going to summon a pet.

I think Illshenar is a place you can not summon in, Twisted Wield, Blighted Forest etc. Hum, perhaps any place you would benefit from summoning a pet, then you will not be able to summon a pet. :) So far my pet summoning ball has been a 10 stone boat anchor that I have used once in 12+ months. Every time I go to use it, it tells me I can not summon a pet here.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I primarily use vet skill to heal pets. A lot of my tamers are peace tamers with low meditation skill, so I try to avoid casting heal/greater heal spell (or most any other spell) because they just don't have the mana regen to handle it, unless I've specifically built them a suit with lots of mana regen. (I don't bother doing that unless it's a tamer that I know will do lots of peerless or Doom runs.)

I use LRC suits on all my tamers, unless I've just started them on a new shard. Then they use regs until they've earned enough gold to buy cheap LRC pieces. Now that gold is not so heavy and sending bags are once again useful for sending gold and piles of heavy resources, I've been contemplating trying to use regs and go with less/no LRC and emphasize something else on the suit (e.g., mana regen and/or luck). I'd also carry a piece or two of lightweight insured arcane clothing to equip as an emergency backup, especially now that gold isn't so heavy. Just haven't felt like messing around with building new suits or trying to find arcane clothing on some of the shards where I play but have no tailor.

As far as I know, pet summoning balls don't work in faction bases, Fel dungeons, or Ilshenar. Not too sure about Fel T2A. They're so darn heavy, I generally don't even bother with them anymore. I know some people just keep them in their house or bankbox to use in dire emergencies.

These are the pet commands I have set up on macros:

All Kill

All Stop / All Follow Me (two line macro)

All Guard Me

[pet name 1] Kill / [pet name 1] Guard Me (two line macro, change pet name as needed)

[pet name 2] Kill / [pet name 2] Guard Me (change pet name as needed)

[pet name 1] Stay

[pet name 2] Stay

b release (In KR, it's unwise to use the context menu to release pets if you have more than one out of the stable. I give the pet to be released a new name of "b" and then use the macro to say, "b release.")

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well if you take stealth and hiding off of your character Rico, you can work up Magery, Vet, and perhaps even Chiv and act like a real tamer.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then use them. Set macros to cast GH on your pet as well as vet. Alternating them can heal massive amounts of damage on your pet.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you going to stay siege or come to the care bear side?

Either way using different pets can make all the difference also enhanced bandages with vet under GM can make a difference also.

As a tamer in PvM your first choice will be vetting to heal I would use chive for curing poison. and removing curses and other debuffs of your pet. With the chiv heal and being smart with what you attack mage healing can co out the window. Plus now you dont need eval.

Stealth Hide Tame Lore Vet .... Chiv could be a very simple effective temp

Macro for
Chiv - Cure, Heal, Remove Curse all taregeting your pet
Vet - target Pet
and all pet commands already mentioned for controlling your pet.

Rem to feed your pet every so often and yourself.

P

pgib

I hunt mostly with Greater Dragons. I have 120 vet - lore on my tamer and i find it absolutely useless in combat.

Any monster that can cast area spells or has an area damage effect negates my veterinary skill because I have to take the same damage of my pet but I don't have 900hp and a 85-90-50-50-75 suit. I had to be a sampire to be able to use veterinary when I try to kill Rikktor or a Dark Father or a Paragon Lich Lord or a Skeletal Dragon and so on. I think i'm not the only one with this problem because i see many tamers being killed while "using" veterinary.

Now i'm rebuilding my tamer to be a distance-healer but i know that i will rarely use bandages then because few mobs without area damage can do 50 damage per second to a greater dragon for the entire fight: i can think of paragon greater dragon, paragon cu sidhe and maybe paragon ancient wyrm.

Z

Zodiac19

Do you use a high end luck/lrc suit, or do you just run around with a bunch of regs. What is funny is that I have never run around with an lrc suit except to train magery, lol...la

I have a full lrc suit with only 400 luck. I don't care to run arround with regs.

Rand Althor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use Vet Mainly...

Pet Balls... besides the places mentioed above, you can't use them in Yomotsu Mines... and I still carry them for my pets... I find the odd time that me and my pet get overwhelmed and I can't get them out or run (Greater is a good example, too slow..), then if I notice there no chance of winning (I.E. my pet's likely to die), I run a screen or two away and use the ball to get the pet out of danger to where I can do a couple quick heals to get them back to full health then go back to finish off the baddies...

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you going to stay siege or come to the care bear side?
I'll be stay ing on Siege, but this is the key to having magery so high. Gating me and my pets helps a lot. Chiv would be nice, but since the travel spell doesn't work here...I've never raised it...la