• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How do you do a L6?

S

Smug

Hey everyone,

In the past I remember being able to solo L6s without too much trouble. Just came back after 5 years off and I grabbed L6 and went off to dig up the chest. Only one ancient wyrm on the guardian spawn so I took out the other three and then went after the AW. Took me about 20 minutes to kill that thing! I failed just about every peace attempt so I took a look at the barding difficulties and I saw that with 120 music/peace I had 20% chance to peace, 30% with slayer. I don't remember it being that low. Were there any changes in the past years to barding difficulties?

Anyway, just wanted to see how you all deal with the spawn on the L6 maps, specifically referring to your tactics. It'd be nice to see how the treasure hunting game has evolved since I've left.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, while you were gone, AW got buffed, and a new dragon type, the Greater Dragon, was added as a 5-slot Tamable at the same time.

My strategy as a melee T-hunter is to precast recall/Sacred Journey, and target a rune to a different part of the island when the spawn pops, the way that invis-casters would precast and target themselves. This "bugout" method is MUCH less likely to result in death than trying to Invis or peace (as you aren't still standing at the chest getting beat down from a premature reveal or peace failure).

I then walk back toward the chest, and try to isolate one spawn at a time to kill. AWs and Balrons typically require a "jousting" type method where you hit, running back and forth by it (DO NOT stand your ground), until you get hit, then back off screen, heal, and repeat.

A Provo bard would probably try to get two spawn chasing them then provo, while one with peace only would do just one, and peace while attacking it with summons/pets/weapons.

Oh, and if you have Disco at high enough level to succeed, you are MUCH better off going after the AW first, discoing it, THEN provoing the others on it, or using pets or summons.

O

Out of Date

Yeah I do the same though I'm the invis precaster =)
I start casting when I see the top of the chest and
let loose when the entire chest is above ground so I am
safely invissed by the time th emonsters spawn.
Then I run offscreen luring one monster towards where
I got my greater dragon parked and do them one at a time
like so.

I too had to learn the hard way how useless my old dragon
was now hehe. The first map I did I might as well have brought
a chicken along =)

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A melee T-hunter? I'm impressed! I take it you stone off Cartography for another skill? Eithery way, that's pretty awesome. I've attempted to make one but haven't had much success thus far and not sure if a bard is really my style.

Edit: I stand corrected, you do have Cartography. :) Very nice!

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Provo Mage has worked in the past for me.

I rem having 6 AW on the screen at once fighting eachother. But that is while working out drawing items while they fight.

Template
Real
Provo 120
Music 120
Carto 100
LP 100
Mining 100
Mage 100
Med 80

Now with no delay for stones and Imbuing I will prob tweak template to look like this.

Real Mods Total
Provo 105 15 120
Music 105 15 120
Peace 105 15 120
Myst / Cart 100 0 100 these i will swap out
LP 100 0 100
Mage 90 30 120
Focus 115 0 115
720 75 795

My technique later after they the critters got ALOT harder was;

1. precasting invisibiliity when the top of the chest shows and targeting self once the WHOLE chest apears above ground
2. Bring up all the health bars of the spawned creatures and provoke them onto eachother, while invising as fast as possible to stay out of the way. (I would of course try and get all the lesser critters fighting the hardest one)
3. I would then open the pick and open the chest while they are all fighting. if only one AW is left i wiould draw a little ways of then root thru the chest to spawn more targets.
4. In the end i would loot the chest dry while the spawn beat eachother down.

With the new changes I have no idea how this will work out.

I do not stone of carto, but with the timer removed i would prob stone it off and possible get mysticysm ann or Sw

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A melee T-hunter? I'm impressed! I take it you stone off Cartography for another skill? Eithery way, that's pretty awesome. I've attempted to make one but haven't had much success thus far and not sure if a bard is really my style.

Edit: I stand corrected, you do have Cartography. :) Very nice!
T-maps and SOS have been very good to me. Prior to the Changes to special moves to require real tactics skill equal to the real weapon skill, I was using a Chiv/Tactics/swords jewelry set that one piece came from a low level SOS chest, each with +29 in total skill points. Even without using imbued jewelry (but changing out the one jewelry item I bought for another from a T-map chest), I'm still at around 800 skill points, that allows me to have swords/tactics/chiv/healing/anatomy/parry/Cart/LP as a template, with swords at 120 with gear, 80-ish chiv, 90 Healing, and everything else around 100.

The only thing that allows me to solo level 6s is having a large island to work with (for mobility) and using hit and run tactics on the AW with a Dragon's End sword. Everything else is relatively easy, fought 1 on 1.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
since we have crystalline rings on TC I have a 120 mage/mystic/focus and 100 cart/lockpick/hiding/mining.

I popped a L6 chest w/4 AW and 3 blood ellys. If you wait until the chest is completely visible you can thump the hide macro just before the spawn pops pretty easily. Then you run off screen, hide again to break any agro and just keep throwing rising collosi at the guardians. They all drop very fast.

S

Smug

Interesting. A lot of vocabulary was thrown around that I do not yet understand. I'm looking forward to getting my equipment up to date with all the new upgrades available now.

Happy thunting to all!

V

VorteXPete

I also use the casting invisibility when the chest spawns.
Before digging i precast 2 earth eles and attune weapon with the spellweaving healing spell so if i do get hit i wont insta die, then take care of them one ata time.
120 mage
120 weaving
100 lockpick
120 music
120 disco
120 focus
115 mystic

I use skill boosting items to get this many skill points, and with rising colossus with discord they drop very fast.

T

Talula

My 120 peace/103 Provo tmapper can't take the guardians down, so I use my disco
tamer and her greater dragon on a second account to do the dirty work.

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used to do the invis just before the chest popped up, but due to sometimes unstable net - and sometimes slow reaction time I saw a lot of grey. Now I mark a rune a bit off, then recall when it pops. Then I lure them off one by one if there are several AW and Balrons. Saves me time and insurance...

O

Old Man of UO

What I have been doing is working with a partner who likes to do T-Maps. I have lockpicking in a mage/spellweaver (now with Mystic) and she has the cartography/bard/mage mix. She also has a tamer that she works in when needed. That mix seems to work very well for all chest levels.

Now, she's not able to play as much or at all, I am having trouble finding a T-Map partner. I just started the Cartography skill on my mage and had to drop meditation to get it to fit in. If I had to fit in Mining or Remove Trap to make a dedicated T-Hunter as some people suggest, I just wouldn't bother with maps any more. I just hope I can solo them until I find a reliable partner.

115 Mystic
115 Magery
120 Focus
110 Eval Int
100 Lockpick
100 Cartography
60 Meditation or Spellweaving

I may try Spellweaving to see if the Ethy Voyage will allow me to dig up the chest without dying on the initial spawn. Will that work? Anyone try that?

B

Beastmaster

Those using the nearby rune/recall method will have to adopt another method to do the Ilshenar maps we'll be getting now.

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed. I had considered this and thus instead of hunting paragons, lately I've just been doing the Hag Quests hoping to advance my maps through upgrades inside the chest while in Tram.