• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] How do you become a collector?

M

Misminer

Ive been gathering the server up rares. How ever there are a few that i cant pick up. Is there a skill i need to have like stealing?Thank you

yanaki2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
which ones do you have and which ones are you having trouble? on some servers you cant get certain items like the rocks or full jars. also there usually is a spawn of some of them that the tgrabbable one spawns on top so it could also mean someone already got to it.

K

Kratos Aurion

Rare collecting is a hobby (some say form of gameplay?) that we do to enjoy the games lore and history.

Becoming a collector is pricey and you must be quite knowledgable in rares and old items, event items and seer items etc.

The great thing about rare collecting is that anyone can do it with a little time and effort. Every collection starts with something. It can be old trapped box items, white statues, a server birth or just about anything thats considered a "rare."

If you would like suggestions as to how to start. I personally say pick a goal. Think of or find an item thats considered a "rare" that you really enjoy and just devote as much time and effort as you need to obtain it. Thats how I started.

And don't let superior collectors or collections intimidate you. It took a long time for them to collect what they have (most collectors have been collecting for years). Start small then work your way up. You'd be surprised at how fast a collection can grow :thumbup1:

Theres plenty of people on the rares forum that'd be glad to help you with items or identify them for you as well as price check them if you need the help:thumbup:

M

Misminer

Thank you so much for the help. Ive played uo for many years, and now that im older ive relized that much of what i enjoyed about the game is fast disapearing. So collenting may help me hold onto my fond memories. I do have some items, like AOS roses, but not much more. Thank you for the information.

K

kray2s

hi,
i just want to say i agree wit kratos.

I have played the game about 5yrs now and mainly i have been out killing pvm etc and its only been in the past year or so i got serious about collecting things.

I started off small - sold a few bits and brought my 1st rare - an eye of newt - sold some more - brought an old hair dye, sold a few more bits got something else etc etc ...

What im trying to say is we all start somewhere so i wish you good luck in starting your collection - its fun chalenging and rewarding watching ur 1st item grow into a mass of items and the most frustrating bit - finding a way to display them all nicely for everyone to enjoy:)

I would like to attach here a plea to all of you out there with nice collections - OPEN YOUR DOORS theres lots of us that like wandering houses and going "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh look at the double exceptional tag on that" or "WOW he/she has got such an item"

K

Kratos Aurion

finding a way to display them all nicely for everyone to enjoy
I just bought a new house to display my items. Infront I own my library, and sitting behind is my museum. I enjoy being creative with the way I display items. Most of the items I have out are incorporated into the house enviornment (and not everything is "rare"). I have a floor of NPC vendors with old suits etc.

But I also have to say this is the most frustrating part of walking into a huge collection of rares (especially the luna displays). The items are nice but the appeal is driven to almost 0 because everything is just thrown at you. Theres no "theme" or integrity in the way the items are presented. Seeing items sitting on bar tops is really old! I like creative collectors vs mega mall collectors.

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i have my stuff sitting on vally tables :p no bartops in my house hehe... im keeping a true museum theme going though with books sitting on elven podiums in front of the items giving some information about them.... also im huge on things being symmetrical and organized so its the only way i can arrange my house without pissing myself off :)

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And don't let superior collectors or collections intimidate you. It took a long time for them to collect what they have (most collectors have been collecting for years). Start small then work your way up. You'd be surprised at how fast a collection can grow :thumbup1:
I think this is very important.

You can get discouraged by looking a multi-billion collections quite easily. But you do need to keep in mind that they didn't find the collection on the floor and that it took years and years to collect all the items.

But do realise you can go from nothing to a nice collecting in a year, if you are truly dedicated. And yes this may involve spending some RL cash (in fact 99% of the collectors I know have at some point sold or bought items for RL cash).

In the end Legendary taming might be difficult to obtain, but getting a great house full of rares is a lot more work, but it does pay off. Just start 1 rare at a time and you will see your collection growing :).

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yup, i have gotten my whole collection since the magincia invasion where i snagged 8 of the rift pillars and sold them and bought some event items with the gold... just been building since then

K

kray2s

:thumbsup:Just as a side thought or two : -

When starting a collection you may want to build round a theme - i dont know how many collectors do this but you might decide you are going to dedicate your time to collecting event items - (personally i like to get a bit of everything but now i been collecting around a year i'm starting to get hungry for more lol)

Also - I would say to you to spend your hard earned gold on items that "you like" - at the end of the day its you thats going to be spending most time in the house / museum so it would be best to be surrounded by items that you like rather than ones where your thinking why on earth did i get that

Hahahaha

just put in a little hard work and have fun with it:thumbsup: