• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How do I upgrade to KR?

P

Priam_Sonoma

Old player on an old account. How do I upgrade to KR? I went to UO.com and I have google searched and really haven't found much. How do I get KR?

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Old player on an old account. How do I upgrade to KR? I went to UO.com and I have google searched and really haven't found much. How do I get KR?
Here is a better list of current download locations: http://www.uoherald.com/kingdomreborn/gamefiles/index.php

As an old player, current or returning, all you need to do to play the Kingdom Reborn Client is to have an active account, download the KR Client (Install & Patch) and then log in with it! :)

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, it'd be nice if that link was listed on the front page of Stratics where the trial link I copied is!

Btw, Priam, you can order a copy of it on DVD also.

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, it'd be nice if that link was listed on the front page of Stratics where the trial link I copied is!

Btw, Priam, you can order a copy of it on DVD also.
Indeed!

*Orvago nods*

Plucky Duck

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
how many people consider KR an upgrade?

I thought upgrarde meant an improvment on the older versoin.

KR is just lipstick on a pig really.

Erekose

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

KR has some very, very nice features. I just wish they'd fix the bugs and actually finish it. I was gone for seven months and the same nuisance bugs are still there.

KR has tons of potential. The biggest thing I like is you can do a dress macro that puts all your gear on instantly, no delay at all. Great when you rez in the midst of spawn or in a battle.

Ordering the DVD is probably the best way to get it unless you have a fast connection. A few people I know have had trouble with the download being corrupted.

G

Gwendar-SP

KR has some very, very nice features. I just wish they'd fix the bugs and actually finish it. I was gone for seven months and the same nuisance bugs are still there.

KR has tons of potential. The biggest thing I like is you can do a dress macro that puts all your gear on instantly, no delay at all. Great when you rez in the midst of spawn or in a battle.

Ordering the DVD is probably the best way to get it unless you have a fast connection. A few people I know have had trouble with the download being corrupted.

I haven't found any nice features - only insults to my eyes.

N

Ni-

I haven't found any nice features - only insults to my eyes.
Oh, I have found quite a few nice features. So many that the convenience of those features outweigh the bugs. For me, that is.

Crafting and resource gathering is alot nicer! Looting items while hunting is alot less tedious; single-clicking a pile of gold as oppossed to click-drag, click ok, click pack placement. The grid view in the backpack help when looking for something in a cluttered backpack. One button spell casting/targeting is nice and makes things alot faster efficient.

I timed myself running the same route through Luna(highest population on chessy) at prime time with both KR and 2D. KR was 10 seconds faster, for me.

I don't play UO for the Graphics, so they wouldn't hold me back, I actually prefer the landscape alot more than 2Ds. Meaning the ground is seemless not a grid of squares on a chessboard. That was helpful for 8x8, however.

All this running XP on a 1.6Mhz single proc, 1.5 GB RAM and 128 Video card.

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I recommend downloading the KR client from fileplanet.

http://www.fileplanet.com/177540/170000/fileinfo/

You need to register, but the free registration is enough - don't get the pay option!

The fileplanet installer is the only up-to-date version of KR, requiring "only" 170 MB of patches to play. All other installers require more than 1 GB of patches before you can play - including the DVD install, which makes it practically useless.

After you download and patch the KR client, you can just start it and login with your current UO account - you don't need to buy any upgrade codes to play UO with KR.

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
KR has a lot of great features, new graphics, a new face on the gameplay, still the old feel, and yes it has some bugs. The only issue with these bugs it seems is that they're different from 2D's! :) We've had ten years to learn how to deal with the issues in 2D, KR's are new and they're getting fixed, we live with 2D, why not improve your experience with KR? :)

Also yes, just download and login, no need to buy anything!

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

The only issue with these bugs it seems is that they're different from 2D's! :)
Idk if your joking or not but I really don't agree with that, theres no bug in 2D for me at least that causes movement to comepletely lock up for random amounts of time when trying to change direction too fast. Nor any that when you look in containers they appear empty when you know their full.

The basic things like those that can't seem to be overcome (I submitted them during beta) prevent me from feeling that setting up my macros/gumps layout is worth it.

The targeting system is another reason I can't play it as it's stuck on the new targeting system. At least in 2D it was optional.

Whats with the bars too? There seem to be at least 3 different bars for my character, some of which can be targeted some can't.

KR for me is like playing 2D without a keyboard. (i.e everything has to be done the slow way) I don't really like the graphics either, in 2D I can see what tile I'm putting something down on and it goes there.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you plan on ordering the DVD, I'd suggest waiting until they upgrade it to the latest patch.

S

Strawberry

Definitely not an upgrade. KR is ugly and many of the extras it offers can already be done with UOAssist (though not quite as quickly in the case of the dress macro). I'm not sure lipstick on a pig is quite the right phrase though. It feels more like when a saleperson is trying to push the crappy version of a product on you because the store's running low on the good version but has a surplus of crap. Not sure what saying would best express that though.

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you not understand what I said for 'different', also play it in a version more recent than last August, been playing since release and on crappy internet and haven't had those issues with movement and containers since August.

And, KR is more more efficient to play, if you're not depending on third party programs to run the game for you.

It is definitely an upgrade, more modern graphics, more efficent interface, new content. Thats an upgrade, you may not like it, but it doesn't change the fact that it is better than 2D, if not the way you'd like it.

Also, you can do almost everything and more from UOAssist, and when you bring up the arguement that 2D is better with a third party program, its kindof annoying considering its not part of UO and the client.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Definitely not an upgrade. KR is ugly and many of the extras it offers can already be done with UOAssist (though not quite as quickly in the case of the dress macro). I'm not sure lipstick on a pig is quite the right phrase though. It feels more like when a saleperson is trying to push the crappy version of a product on you because the store's running low on the good version but has a surplus of crap. Not sure what saying would best express that though.

I've played UO off and on since the beta was released. So that's almost 10 years playing on the old 2D client. There is no question UOKR is an upgrade and I would never go back to playing the 2D client after the UOKR introduction. When I occasionaly log onto the 2D client I laugh at the graphics compared to UOKR. Eveything moves much SLOWER on the 2D client and the flow of the game is no where near as smooth as UOKR.

I love the nostalgia of the 2d Client and I think it should always remain an option for those who wish to use it. That being said I can't for the life of me understand why so many people choose do use what in my mind is without question an inferior client.:stir:

B

butthead owns

its not worth it they cant fix 2d why waste your time trying to play 3d

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking that, it DOES have some great features but it still has plenty of gameplay stopping flaws, at least for me.
I agree with LG.

I primarily use it to check out my characters from an information perspective as KR has clearly superior Character Information.

One can have both the 2D and the KR client. They both simply end up in different directories and you can create separate short cuts.

If I am in the Wilderness and have no clue were to get rez'd (in proximity to were I am) I am not above loging into the KR client and using its map to get to the closest rez'r.

I DID find out that the KR client performance wise, is best at full screen resolution 800x600 (I run this on a 1680x1050 wide screen monitor). At that resolution, it is mostly the same as the 2D with one exception. For some reason I can get killed and have no clue I am even damaged, when in fact everything else seems to be running at the same update/refresh rate as 2D.