• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How do I know a Weapon is worth the Money?

CaesarDoP

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been looking for Bows and Cross Bows on GL, and I will stop by a Player Vendor and see many different weapons, but how do I know if the Weapon is worth the $50 K a person is asking or if the one I find on the vendor down the street for only $15 K is not infact a better wep?

I understand about the different types for killing a certain type of monster, or undead. I understand about the % of Spell Resistance, etc... But in the good old days when you bought a Vag wep or Power wep, you kind of knew what you were getting.

Is there a listing of weapons or a Web site that will tell me?

As always thanks for the help My U-Hall Friends and Family

Caesar

B

Beldon

The simple fact is the items is worth(to you) whatever you are willing to pay for it. It is worth that much to the seller because people buy those items for that price.

CaesarDoP

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The simple fact is the items is worth(to you) whatever you are willing to pay for it. It is worth that much to the seller because people buy those items for that price.
I fully understand that what I would Pay $1 Mill for you (anyother player) maynot pay $1.00 for. and I understand that the seller may sell an Item for what ever they want, but my question is, how do I know that a Sword with certain atributes, and power, is worth more than another sword? Is there a List that says This Wepon is more powerful than that wep. Like in the old days A Vanq was better than a Power, and a Powere was better than the next step lower. etc....

Just wonder how to tell the differences in weps.

Peace be with you Beldon

Caesar

G

gandolfofaol

I usually go to stractics and plug in the specific attributes of a particular weapon and the compare dps to decide is this one better also keep in mind which specials a weapon may have when deciding if its better or not. 2 dps faster on a weapon with crappy specials isn't really better imo

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For PvP bows, if they have the following they are worth it.
Blanaced
40+ Hit Spell (lightning, fireball etc.)
12+ Hit Chance Increase
35 or 40 Swing Speed Increase
45+ Hit Lower Defence
40 Damage Increase

Maybe.. 45+ Hit Lower Attack
Maybe.. 12+ Defence CHance Increase

Any combination of at least 3 of them.

Anyting else isnt worth it.

For PvM I have no idea

B

Beldon

I fully understand that what I would Pay $1 Mill for you (anyother player) maynot pay $1.00 for. and I understand that the seller may sell an Item for what ever they want, but my question is, how do I know that a Sword with certain atributes, and power, is worth more than another sword? Is there a List that says This Wepon is more powerful than that wep. Like in the old days A Vanq was better than a Power, and a Powere was better than the next step lower. etc....

Just wonder how to tell the differences in weps.

Peace be with you Beldon

Caesar
For most people and your above average player it will not be. If you have to ask it probably is not worth the money. As far as attributes goes then it comes down to what YOU are looking for in a weapon. But if you are buying it expect to pay through the nose for it. Sorry the answer is as clear as mud, but the nature of AOS complicated the answer greatly.

Eht/Longbow

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's the thing, knowing if a weapon is useful or not to you is difficult because everyone's template is different, the monsters they generally fight are different too.
The thing is a good PvM weapon does not look anything like what a PvP weapon would be, and from what I've seen, good PvP weapons are generally worth a lot more.

It considering your template, if you are a dexxer that requires a vast amount of mana to stay alive in a PvM fight you would want to consider using a weapon with lots of mana leech if you cannot get it from your suit. People who have this problem will pay more for a mana leech weapon than say an elven fighter with Meditation and lots of mana stuff on his suit, who uses mostly pots rather than spells to heal.

If you are a Samurai, two handed weapons with HCI and HLD/HLA type mods would be better suited for you. If a weapon has a lot of SSI and you have max stamina the SSI is all but worthless to you.

So in the end, a weapon could be have no value to you if you don't use it in the same way it was meant for, or against the wrong type of things you might not be accustomed to taking down.

C

Connor_Graham

For the PvM bows you're looking for, the 2 primary mods you want are SSI & Mana Leech. At least 30 SSI is recommended for any bow, but more is even better. After that, DI & Hit Lower Defense, followed by Stamina Leech and Hit Lower Attack. Anything more than these such as hit spell or HCI/DCI are just a bonus, but not mandatory.

L

Lord Kynd

I have been looking for Bows and Cross Bows on GL, and I will stop by a Player Vendor and see many different weapons, but how do I know if the Weapon is worth the $50 K a person is asking or if the one I find on the vendor down the street for only $15 K is not infact a better wep?

I understand about the different types for killing a certain type of monster, or undead. I understand about the % of Spell Resistance, etc... But in the good old days when you bought a Vag wep or Power wep, you kind of knew what you were getting.

Is there a listing of weapons or a Web site that will tell me?

As always thanks for the help My U-Hall Friends and Family

Caesar

It is only worth what you are willing to pay for it for one.
and then..
a seller is only going to sell if it's enough for them to part with it.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the nice thing about this game is one mans junk is anothers treasure.
you can find a nice bow for 25k or a crappy one for 500k.

to be honest i have purchased many many bows in the making of my archer.

to the guy that says with max stam you dont need ssi, that is not true.
i would never buy a bow with less then 25 ssi.. thats if the 25 ssi bow is not enhanced.
30 ssi is the min i would buy on an already enhanced bow.

a bow that isnt enhanced, dont pay what you cant afford to replace. it may break.

now for the bows my archer likes alot and uses the most.

i found a nice heavy xbow, 35 ssi, 38 hml and 42 hsl, it has 46 DI.
i use this bow A LOT on peerless monsters.. i do around 260 dmg on crit hits with 110 bushido on mel and dh.
my archer has 153 stam, this bow has a 2.75 swing speed. unfortunately this is as fast as it can get without going to 180 stam :(
i paid 500k for this bow, it was a steal..

my next bow is a reg cross bow.

it has SSI 35, HML 39 and DI 44.
this bow with my 153 stam archer has a 2.25 swing speed.
this is the bow i use on almost every other smaller creature/monster, its really a toss up as to weather or not you need the hsl.. it shoots faster so does more dpm. i like the specials on this bow. its only slightly less powerful then the heavy, hits for 230s crit hits with 110 bushido.

i got this bow from loot and enhanced it with ash.

both of these bows i find irreplaceable and they are both fortified up to 255.

if your looking for power pvm bows something along these examples would get you going.
expect to pay alot if the person selling knows what they have.

now for the HLA and HLD.. i dont need these as when we do hunts someone almost always has this property on their wep (once it goes off everyone gets the bonus), or we bring rune beetles or a discorder.

HLA and HLD is very nice if you solo tough stuff as it brings down their defenses and attacks, but having a wep that leeches 15 to 25 mana per hit and 100% of your stam is needed more in groups.

A

AtlanteanAngel

Don't you love it that pvp weapons (particularly bows and crossbows) sell for between 30mil to 80mil? PvP is indeed the endgame of UO. Nothing else drives fanatism in the game like lording over fellow players to feed one's ego. But it's really fun, to be sure.

B

Balian of Asgard

Hello,

If you have a moment, how do you calculate the SSI, weapon speed, Stamina, to come up with 2.25 and 2.75 swing speeds?

Those 2 bows are 5 and 4.5 second bows

the nice thing about this game is one mans junk is anothers treasure.
you can find a nice bow for 25k or a crappy one for 500k.

to be honest i have purchased many many bows in the making of my archer.

to the guy that says with max stam you dont need ssi, that is not true.
i would never buy a bow with less then 25 ssi.. thats if the 25 ssi bow is not enhanced.
30 ssi is the min i would buy on an already enhanced bow.

a bow that isnt enhanced, dont pay what you cant afford to replace. it may break.

now for the bows my archer likes alot and uses the most.

i found a nice heavy xbow, 35 ssi, 38 hml and 42 hsl, it has 46 DI.
i use this bow A LOT on peerless monsters.. i do around 260 dmg on crit hits with 110 bushido on mel and dh.
my archer has 153 stam, this bow has a 2.75 swing speed. unfortunately this is as fast as it can get without going to 180 stam :(
i paid 500k for this bow, it was a steal..

my next bow is a reg cross bow.

it has SSI 35, HML 39 and DI 44.
this bow with my 153 stam archer has a 2.25 swing speed.
this is the bow i use on almost every other smaller creature/monster, its really a toss up as to weather or not you need the hsl.. it shoots faster so does more dpm. i like the specials on this bow. its only slightly less powerful then the heavy, hits for 230s crit hits with 110 bushido.

i got this bow from loot and enhanced it with ash.

both of these bows i find irreplaceable and they are both fortified up to 255.

if your looking for power pvm bows something along these examples would get you going.
expect to pay alot if the person selling knows what they have.

now for the HLA and HLD.. i dont need these as when we do hunts someone almost always has this property on their wep (once it goes off everyone gets the bonus), or we bring rune beetles or a discorder.

HLA and HLD is very nice if you solo tough stuff as it brings down their defenses and attacks, but having a wep that leeches 15 to 25 mana per hit and 100% of your stam is needed more in groups.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its a pretty complex forumala, someone made up a website that you just punch in the numbers..

check around its been posted, but since they ban for urls. sorry.

this is the forumala if you know what your doing.
(INT(((wepspeed*4)-INT(Stamina/30))*(100/(100+Swing_Speed_Increase)))/4>=1.25,
INT(((wepspeed*4)-INT(Stamina/30))*(100/(100+Swing_Speed_Increase)))/4,1.25)

1.25 is the fastest swing speed.
the speeds are rounded up whole, so 1.25, 1.50, 1.75.
that means you need the stam to get the next level or your not doing any good.

also the stratics weapon page is pre aos. its not correct.