• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How do I compete against:

G

A guy who gains a full screen on me every 2 seconds.

He can stop, cast explode, be on my screen almost instantly and stop and poison and cast when I dont even stop to heal.

Anytime you actually fight and he gets hurt, he can run off out of your reach, cure, greater heal and return.

I have a great connection, good computer, run even with anyone I know isn't cheating.

All the people in my guild keep telling me, stop complaining just download it dude.

I mean, what the hell kind of game is this. Cheat or be beat Online?

I am fairly new to game, and its not my first experience with this. Its just really frustrating in a 1v1 fight that you have a major handicap in.

G

ya, i still got daoc account, guess i go play that, a lot less cheating.

Was a fun experience here for a bit though. I played this game for 2 months when it first came out. It's been cool to check it out for 4 months.

I just can't put more time into something so plagued with cheating. On all levels, pvp, pvm & crafting.

I

imported_Spiritless

There's a server-side movement cap implemented through packet throttling that is enforced. If he's moving that much faster than you, then you haven't got so great of a connection/computer as you claim, speedhack or no speedhack.

G

ya, for peeps not up against really cranked up speedhacks....you just don't understand the difference in speed.

Its large.

I

imported_Gwendar-SP

I hear folks complaining of this every day. Unfortunately, EA seems to think of resource scripters and dupers when they even think of cheaters. Am not sure what it will take to convince them of what a huge problem this is and how it damages the game.

I think that the only solution offered by EA so far is to report these people (if you can catch up with them). Report them under harasment - maybe youi will be lucky and catch a real GM and not a robot who sends you to the web page of useless info.

G

<blockquote><hr>

All the people in my guild keep telling me, stop complaining just download it dude.

[/ QUOTE ] This does seem to be most people's answer and I have some slight sympathy with it. However its just too tempting to use; even the PvP guild on Europa that claims it doesn't cheat use it when low on health to zoom away.

To the person who said its nothing to do with a program but all down to PC and connection: You either don't PvP or already cheat in this way and like it.

G

With 3200 Mhz Comp, 4 Gigs of RAM, Good Video Card, Cable Conn and a Ping of 23 on average, i can run through Luna with barely any lag whatsoever. Yet i see some people in PvP that are able to zip past me like the Roadrunner, leaving me in a dust cloud.

There are some people on Napa that seem to run every cheat program in existence, speedhacks, casting hacks, pot chugging scripts, etc. Then they think they got Ub3R L33T Sk!11Z because they can download a program off some site. How ridiculous. These are the kind of people that if you took away all their cheats/hacks, some newb in New Haven would WTF Pwn them.

Every time i see this crap, i'm like "Wtf?". My guild leader says "Why are you still surprised? Expect it, EA not's gonna do a damn thing to these cheaters, why i don't PvP and am thinking of quitting UO."

G

Just be glad he isn't using the casting hack program, the one that let's him cast spells WHILE moving.

I've fought against a few of them on Napa, even dueled one and got him redlined even with him spamming Heals and Greater Heals while running, and Bloodoath/Strangle being on me. We were both redlined and i was about to swing again and drop him when he got a quick Pain Spike off to get me.

G

I'm happy to at least see most the posts so far acknowledge it. Only one guys is misled.

When i posted about heartwood scripters, I had a bunch of flames stating that you can't tell scripters etc.

So, lots of the player base know the cheats are there, most don't like them, some are forced to use them......now WHY DO THEY STILL EXIST?

I

imported_Lord GOD(GOD)

It depends what template your playing.

You could cast weaken to fizzle his explosion.
Use petals/pots to cure poison.

If your not a caster you should be attacking him, if your attacks aren't hitting him get more hci/hld on your gear.

I

imported_revenant2

<blockquote><hr>

He can stop, cast explode, be on my screen almost instantly and stop and poison and cast when I dont even stop to heal.

Anytime you actually fight and he gets hurt, he can run off out of your reach, cure, greater heal and return.

I have a great connection, good computer, run even with anyone I know isn't cheating.

I am fairly new to game, and its not my first experience with this. Its just really frustrating in a 1v1 fight that you have a major handicap in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know just what you mean, man. I have seen some crazy sh*t. You describe it pretty well. And this isn't even beginning to get into the fact that the guy was probably running a pot-chugging script too, so even if you had caught him, good luck...

UO's game balance is not designed to allow different movement speeds for players based upon their connection speed and PC's sophistication/optimization. Yet the problem does exist due to the current implementation of the client and server interaction.

It's always interesting, different, and sh*tty to have someone effectively flamestriking you while running you down, or even stranger, that person being on foot and outrunning you while you are mounted. Owch! Clearly these things aren't intended by the game designers.

I've heard some people say that they are only running speedhacks etc. because everybody else is and without them they don't have a fair chance.

Here's to hoping the UO people are able to work through the issues, perhaps both serverside and client side, to improve the vanilla 2d game performance. Bringing the non-cheated performance and visuals up to the same speed (and perhaps convenience) as the cheated performance solves the problem outright.

B

Babble

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ] This does seem to be most people's answer and I have some slight sympathy with it. However its just too tempting to use; even the PvP guild on Europa that claims it doesn't cheat use it when low on health to zoom away.

To the person who said its nothing to do with a program but all down to PC and connection: You either don't PvP or already cheat in this way and like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem is we have developers swearing there is a cap and that it is working.
So speedhacks should not give that much of a difference.
As I do not pvp either the developer is lying or some pvpers have a worse connection?

If the difference is so great why do you guys then not ask to set the cap higher?

G

You can set your speed hack at differnt speeds.

So if you give a little boost, people might not notice so much, but that extra edge is there.

This guy obviosly had it cranked up full blast, cause he was zooooming.

Speed hacks are being used very commonly on the pvp field.

I

imported_SavageSP

I can live with alot of things being out of balance in game, you can usually make tactical or templet adjustments to counter, or just wait until the Devs fix them.

We can kill Script Farmers on Siege when we see them, even in the GZ and most Houses if they are AFK.

But the thing I cant live with, and will eventually make me leave Ultima after 8 Years of dedicated Playing is Speedhacks and PvP Scripts.

Its a matter of Principle to me, and the fact that ONLY EA doesnt seem to care, or they dont know how to stop it in Ultima.

B

Babble

Yes, but no game will ever bring cheaters so in line.
If there is a hard cap why don't they set it higher then, or is there maybe another flaw in the client that allows breaking the cap.

Some people will always be faster than others because of ping and computer and most games solve that with setting the cap at reasonable levels so others can reasonable compete too.

I guess though it is a client/server problem nothing can fix, else they would have tried it.

So I would advise really to look at a game or shard that takes such things more seriously.

I

imported_IgotWood

yup, pretty much evry guild has id say over 80% speed hackn its sad i hear it in vent through all the guilds...ridiculous, i might die to them but when i kill them it so sweet, specially knowing they hackn out there arses. but you know it won't change...that's why i have no problem gankn them
i even had a hack happen at least i think it was (i know some people will try to explain it but its bs)
i got hit with a 64 point AI..WHat the HELL?!? i thought cap was 35 but it sure wasn't and he was only person that hit me, since no one else was around

G

Don't give up yet! Don't give those lousy script kiddies the satisfaction. Maybe there is another aspect of the game you could enjoy for a bit? Sometimes I need to take a break from an activity for awhile...helps me get a fresh look at it again in the future.

I'm really hoping our current Developers and UO Team are working on this, even if it must be done in secret. I know there has been good communication from each of the team, and also progress with updates and documentation. I'm hoping the house burnings were just a warning to ALL cheaters, be it scripters, dupers, or speedhackers. ALL cheats are equally bad, as far as I'm concerned. Why? Cheats are ruining, or at the very least, devaluing the honest players' UO experience.

G

From what i understand, most Speedhacks are set to give bursts of accelerated speed at intervals, but not sustained speed, to keep the person from smacking into every tree/headstone in their path because they move too fast for the screen to full load or their' physical/mental reflexes to react to. However i'd imagine some people crank them up in wide open areas.

F

fred252

There is a server side speed cap. No one can go faster that the server will allow. It is all just perspective. You perceive he is going faster so you claim OMFG HAXXOR!!!!

C

Coranthe

Interesting posting...

You come here complaining of speedhacks and heartwood scripters and you post elsewhere asking for assistance in writing a script to do library turn in quests???

We all know this stuff is rampant but aren't you pretending to be something you're not?

Z

Zan186

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Either you get a Killer Nic card to lower your latency as low as it can go, or join the cheaters.

Or buy 6 accounts, 6 computers and an Avocent Autoview 1400 and develope 6 stealth/hide/archer necro's and find out where the cheaters live (or lure your Exguild onto a boat going to the island champs spawn (i did this once) and then spam wither and watch them (or your entire exguild die))
This is perhaps the most rediculous way to dominate the game without breaking any rules.
(no the computers are really for my buisness, just thought it would be fun to do once in a while)

G

<blockquote><hr>

With 3200 Mhz Comp, 4 Gigs of RAM, Good Video Card, Cable Conn and a Ping of 23 on average, i can run through Luna with barely any lag whatsoever. Yet i see some people in PvP that are able to zip past me like the Roadrunner, leaving me in a dust cloud.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only run 1 GB of RAM and ping 60-70s and still can out run you. That is without any scripts or speedhacks. Maybe its just you.

Then again, delete all the p**n on your comp and maybe it would run faster.

G

<blockquote><hr>

There's a server-side movement cap implemented through packet throttling that is enforced. If he's moving that much faster than you, then you haven't got so great of a connection/computer as you claim, speedhack or no speedhack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you been messing with RunUO to much because the only server I know of using packet throttling is their emulator.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been pvping for 10 years and fully understand game speed.

And I can quite honestly say that while I believe/know that there are players using illegal programs to try to gain speed it isnt nearly as much of a difference as most people like to think.

I myself have been accused weekly of running speedhacks for no other reason then I am quite good at killing other players 1 vs 1.

I have stood stock still on my archer and dropped dozens of outmatched,clueless people only to have them come running back all new-rezzed calling me a speedhacker. I didnt move one tile the whole fight yet they call me a speeder. True stories. Some of them have even had the total stupidity to then try to claim that even though I wasnt moving, my speedhack jammed up there connection and got them killed.

Bottom line is that this game is full of immature punks that will cry hack or say any lies to make themselves look better. You see it every night in spawns or at the gate.

People are almost certainly cheating in some way or form but it is 100% positively no reason to die to these people on a regular basis. Stfu and get over it.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Stand your ground. Cheaters can never claim a win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Beat the cheaters without using cheats, because if you cheat, and still lose, then you must REALLY suck

B

Babble

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you been messing with RunUO to much because the only server I know of using packet throttling is their emulator.

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea what is it called but EA implemented a speedcap too, is why speedhacks should not be possible.
Those fast people just use programs to run at the cap which might be questionable but not really illegal then?

I

imported_Traveller

<blockquote><hr>

Stand your ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree there. The suggestion goes if you find yourself against an occasional cheater, but widespread cheating is devs/PR fault, and as such standing my ground to me means stopping payment until the issue is fixed. If you PAY despite the cheating, you have given up.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
<blockquote><hr>

There is no such thing as a spell casting hack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hack, Exploit something. Then again maybe my toons are just bugged cause my mage actually stands still when casting exp/fs and I have seen several people that are able to cast this while on the run.

I

imported_Lord Kynd

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

yes you can beat this easily.
get with the time's and get a duel core system with lots of ram, video and system. my system has over 4 gigs ram with the two....
get a FAST connection, 10-15mbit cable is the best

so far i have yet to find someone who can out run me when TRYING to chase me down unless i stop.

another tip, keep your desktop ( computer ) clean , all those tiny icon's use your memory up.

i run the bare minimum to make sure i have as much free resourses as i can out of my system and connection.

T

Trailer Trash

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

get with the time's and get a duel core system with lots of ram, video and system. my system has over 4 gigs ram with the two....

so far i have yet to find someone who can out run me when TRYING to chase me down unless i stop.

another tip, keep your desktop ( computer ) clean , all those tiny icon's use your memory up.

i run the bare minimum to make sure i have as much free resourses as i can out of my system and connection.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have all that you stated and fios for my internet 20/20 my friend and speed hackers blow me out of the water so no mater what system you have or internet you will get run down by speedhackers. I get accused of speed hacking alot and i dont so people notice my speed and yet i get out run by people on a regular basis i mean not even close!!!

A

Azmira Zalof

I don't believe you. Shard/names of people doing it? You can PM them to me if you'd like, I'll still say this isn't possible due to SERVER SIDE limitations.

L

LAH Architect

I'm starting to think the devs know the speedhack problems, do care BUT they can't fix it. They lost some smart technical guys while relocating thru the years.

Compared to other more recent systems code, the movement code should be a horrible beast to troubleshoot or tweak. It's probably a b.....d code since so many dev coders been touching it and abandoning it.

G

When i show up, the only thing you do is run away from me in Wolf Form.

"That is without any scripts or speedhacks"
I highly doubt that. Afterall, you're buddy-buddy with Naz, one of the most well known Cheaters on Napa.

G

Actually, there is. I've seen alot of Mages able to cast a Exp+FS combo while running, without even stopping for a quarter of a second. Why do you think EA changed the Rubber Banding with Spellcasting recently?

A

Ariel2

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

your alliance knows best

A

Ariel2

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

theres a new program that hacks even the server side stuff now and its rediculous. You should see the uch alliance on europa not all of uch does but all there allies do use this program and its ruining alot. But somthing is supposed to be done soon and i cant wait till there zerg alliance gets cut in half. Hang in there m8 the cheater lost before he even started the fight.

A

Ariel2

<blockquote><hr>

There is a server side speed cap. No one can go faster that the server will allow. It is all just perspective. You perceive he is going faster so you claim OMFG HAXXOR!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

WRONG. Theres program hacks server side speed. please dont talk if you dont know. its obvious you dont pvp or you would be seeing what has happened in past 2 months since this [censored] up program everyone got.

A

Ariel2

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

check above not repeating again

Lug

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Page. That's is the only thing you can do. The Dev Team said a few months ago if you see someone cheating, report it.

Use the physical harassment option when you page as it allows you to target the people that are cheating.

I used to be totally against paging on people, but cheating is simply out of control. Something has to be done. It's clear that EA needs the player bases help find and get rid of the cheaters in this game. So help them. Maybe all these skipping mofo's will skip thier way right out of this game!

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
your alliance knows best

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, sad to say, I have seen this by players in our alliance too. Of course there is nothing I can do about that, I get enough grief just for telling people to return looted gear.

Its an arms-race thing. One guild speed hacks (and we know who started that on Europa, the same one that uses all the hacks and cheats first) and so can disappear off the screen when low on HP. To be able to catch them rival guild members run a speedhack too. Then they find it very tempting to hit that hoykey when they too are low on HP and it all just snowballs.

Please would anyone else refrain from showing their ignorance by posting that this is nothing to do with 'illegal' 3rd party programs or that a working server-side cap exists to prevent this. I have an uber machine, have a low ping because I live near the server and I can be running neck &amp; neck with someone without problems until they get low on HP and suddenly they are just gone.

I

imported_revenant2

<blockquote><hr>

Theres program hacks server side speed. please dont talk if you dont know. its obvious you dont pvp or you would be seeing what has happened in past 2 months since this [censored] up program everyone got.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this exists, I hope someone gets ahold of this program and sends it to EA so they can tear into it and fix whatever's allowing this to work.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I'll still say this isn't possible due to SERVER SIDE limitations.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are also SERVER SIDE limitations in place to preventing duping, and that never happens... right?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
<blockquote><hr>

I don't believe you. Shard/names of people doing it? You can PM them to me if you'd like, I'll still say this isn't possible due to SERVER SIDE limitations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Atlantic shard. No need to list names/guilds etc. Spend a little time at Fel Yew or spawning and you will eventually run across it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

When Speedman first implemented this fix, it worked great. I, like you, thought there could be no more cheating, speed hacks in-game due to the server side limitations that Speedman implemented. However, I can only surmise that people eventually found a way around this fix, too. I know there is supposed to be a throttle control in UO to level the speed field, but based on my own experience, I can only conclude that some players have found a way past this "fix".

We had an alliance guild war in the lands under Trammel rules. I was fighting this necro-mage who kept me on the defensive for about five minutes, so I decided to run away and bring a Yamadon into the fight to make it more interesting for both sides. While running away, I crossed two screens with no sign of the necro-mage behind me. Suddenly, in the middle of the third screen, he's right beside me. I don't understand it. I can't explain it, but I know it happened.

No need to cheat, right? It's just a roleplayed war with alliance members that you supposedly, can trust. If this happens in roleplayed wars within alliance members, you can be sure it is happening on a larger scale in Felucca, where winning/boasting/trash talking is everything.

R

Razeial

RTLFC..

There is a server side cap on how fast you can move. It's there and works just like it was designed too, but there is a way around it.

UO's movement system works something like this:

________
|..............|
|..............|
|.....x.......|
|..............|
|_______|

There is an imaginary "box" around your character, and the "x" is your character. Now what the server side cap does is make it to where when you're running you never hit the edge of the box and stay in the center, but with a "connection enhancement program," you're pushing packets faster than the server can process them so what ends up happening is you reach one of the edge's of the "box". When that happens, the server is designed to "rubberband" you back to the middle of the box, and thats what causes other people on you're screen who are "running really fast" to skip around. What needs to happen is UO needs to change the way it's movement is set up. Does that make sense?