• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How can I make this Necro/Mage effective in PvP?

N

noxxle

105 Anatomy
115 Eval Int
100 Magery (115 w/ Tome of Lost Knowledge)
80 Meditation
80 Necro (105 w/ Midnight Braces & Bloodwood Spirit)
115 Resist Spells
105 Spirit Speak (115 w/ Bloodwood Spirit)

90 Str (97 hit points)
30 Dex (30 Stam)
120 Int (144 Int w/ gear, total of 152 Mana)

70 Physical Resist
49 Fire Resist
52 Cold Resist
47 Poison Resist
70 Energy Resist

25 Spell dmg increase

118 LRC
17 LMC
3 Hit dmg regen
2 Stam regen
21 reflect physical
11 DCI

Any suggestions? 120 in magery is out of the question, because I cannot afford the power scroll.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
95 Anatomy
115 Eval Int
100 Magery (115 w/ Tome of Lost Knowledge)
100 Meditation
85 Necro (110 w/ Midnight Braces & Bloodwood Spirit)
100 Resist Spells
105 Spirit Speak (115 w/ Bloodwood Spirit)

90 Str (97 hit points)
30 Dex (30 Stam)
120 Int (135 Int w/ gear, total of 143 Mana)

69 Physical Resist
54 Fire Resist
41 Cold Resist
53 Poison Resist
70 Energy Resist

25 Spell dmg increase

118 LRC
17 LMC
3 Hit dmg regen
2 Stam regen
21 reflect physical
11 DCI

Any suggestions? 120 in magery is out of the question, because I cannot afford the power scroll.
The Necro isnt really a cheap suit/template to build.
Your will absolutley want 120SS, 120eval & 100anatomy. SS/Eval for the damage and 100 anatomy for 120 defense.

Whats your budget? What kinda gear do you have acces to? Do you run him in factions or not? Is your skillcap only 700?
All those questions needs answers, otherwise i will just asume things and waste my time answering :p

N

noxxle

Low budget, and yes currently 700 skill cap. Don't have 'access' to gear other than what is mentioned.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Low budget, and yes currently 700 skill cap. Don't have 'access' to gear other than what is mentioned.
Well that pretty much explains it. Stay with what you have and improve as time passes by.

You really want 120 defensive skill, in your case that is [ ((Eval+anatomy)+20)/2=X ]. in you cae X=115 and you really want that to get up to 120 by raising anaomy to 100 and eval to 120, just drop those 10 points from med.
You allso want Necro to be 100 or 105, 100 for 100% wither or 105 for 100% Strangle.

There more i look at it the more i realize you have to do, Get LMC to 40, try to fit in at least 45dci. You havnt listed Fc/FCR at all and you really do need at least 2/5. You allso want to get a stat scroll, 97 HP is really low, I would lower dex to t the minium and try to get around 115-120 HP.

Your suit probably work allready, play around with it and improve it when you get the chanse.
If you have more questions just shout here and we will help you :thumbsup:

N

noxxle

0 for Fc/FCR

Should I just abandon Necro and SS? If so, what could I replace them with to be effective in PvP considering my low budget and skill caps?

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well a Good start skill wise might be.

100+15 Magery
120 Eval
120 Meditation
120 Resist
100 anatomy

Other skill thats worth mentioning is, Alchemy, Scribe, Parry(hard to build sicne you need 80dex, not really an option for you budget), ninjitsu. Youd even go with enough taming & lore to controll some creatures(Bakes maybe).

Scribe is for increased spell damage, Alchemy for EP, parry for defense, same with ninjitsu, and taming is for gimpness. 85 taming/lore is needed to controll Bakes.
What you should try and find first is jewels, Fc1, FCR3 or 2, and as many other mods as possible. Some good choises for other mods is LRC, DCI, stats and EP. Hell even resist might be good for you.

I dont know how well you are aware of all the diffrent artifacts out there, some to keep in mind when building a suit is.

Runebeetle carapace, Pendant of the magi, totem of the void, Fey leggings, Spell Woven Britches, Ancient Samurais Helm, Scrappers comendium.
Some more expensive parts: Ornament of the magican, armor of fortune, Folded steel reading glasses.

What you should aim for is all 2/5-2/6 casting, 60's resist, 100%LRC, 40 LMC. After that try to improve your suit to allso contain 45+ DCI.

N

noxxle

Would you recommend changing my skills even if I can improve my suit? I if I can make this necro/mage effective just getting some new gear, I would prefer that route.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah the necro mage is a really good template.
If you can get your gear together then stay with it :)

N

noxxle

Ok, with the skill template I have in the first post (subject to some point adjustments, but with the 700 cap), exactly what gear will I need, and how much do you expect it to cost?

I realllllly want to keep my current skills if at all possible.

BTW I also really appreciate all the advice so far. If you can give me an exact list of the gear I need with my current skills, that would be wonderful.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, with the skill template I have in the first post (subject to some point adjustments, but with the 700 cap), exactly what gear will I need, and how much do you expect it to cost?

I realllllly want to keep my current skills if at all possible.

BTW I also really appreciate all the advice so far. If you can give me an exact list of the gear I need with my current skills, that would be wonderful.
Exact gear isnt possible and it will diffre alot if you chose to go factions, might not be a good choise for a new player thanks to stat loss.

Maybe you can get some advice from my suit's. This is what i use on my Scribe mage.
Folded steel reading glasses ~7mill
Armor of fortune ~10mill
Fey Leggings a couple of 100k
Ornament of the magican ~15mill
tome of lost knowledge
totem of the void ~1mill
Crimson ~15mill
Quiver of infinity ~500k
Runic Made: Gorget, Sleeves, Gloves.
Ecru Ring

It gives me a total of 70/70/68/62/70 with Magic reflection cast.
Mods: 100LRC, 40LMC, MR4, DCI67, 135HP, 50EP, 15sdi.
I think my stats is something like this or similar:

Remember that Prices differ a lot, i might be a bit of since i just tooke the prices out of my head.

I cant really remember what my necro uses, but he do use a 19DCI, SC one handed mage weapon, Pendant of the magi, Ornament and kasa of the raj-in.

G

Gellor

Template looks reasonable... but your suit is gonna keep you dead.

VERY generally speaking, you want 70 in all resists... but the usual critical ones are physical and fire.

For mages, you want/need 100lrc and the 40lmc is very helpful.

You don't need to run the 200M suits to be competitive. And factions make it a LOT easier to get some of the l33t gear such as orni, crystalline ring, crimson, folded steel glasses, etc.

My current PvP suit(on my parry mage) is:
folded steel glasses (faction)
armor of fortune
fey legs (faction)
crystlaine ring (faction)
orni (faction)
melisa cloak (5 fire)
valorite shield with 15 dci
talisman of void
runic neck, arms, and glove

Stat wise, I am 70, 79, 69, 69, 82 with 100lrc, 26 lmc, 6 mana regen, 16 hp. And I wouldn't consider my runic stuff really that spectacular ;)

I do NOT rely upon my spellbook for any MUST have mods such as LRC. If you get disarmed, you are dead in the water. I use my spellbook for additional mana(5 mana 6 int book) and slayer:thumbsup:

N

noxxle

Ornament of the magician
Crystalline ring
Armor of Fortune

Are too expensive. is it even possible to make an effective pvp mage build without them?

G

Gellor

Ornament of the magician
Crystalline ring
These are available as faction items... I think it is like 8k-10k silver for the both(I forget the exact number) To me worth the effort to farm some silver to get these pieces... those two alone account for 6 mana regen:thumbsup:

Armor of Fortune

Are too expensive. is it even possible to make an effective pvp mage build without them?
Absolutely possible. I had saved a LOT of quarters to get my AoFs. But before it, I ran mainly a suit of runic pieces to get 100%lrc with all 70s and 45 dci.

Step 1 is getting 100% lrc with all 70s and worry about the other mods like lmc and mr later. SUPER high DCI is very nice. Things like Kasa of Rajin, Pendant of Magi, and Fey legs are staple "lowend" mage pieces.

Word of the wise though... using AoF and Pendant of Magi is a foolhardy thing to do... making up the resists is a challenge.

C

Capt.E

Buy a 120 mace scroll, or wrestle. They are fairly cheap. The weapon skill is not really to damage, it's just so you don't become mincemeat when a few dexxers are around. With all the mods on spellbooks nowadays you may want to consider wrestle. Resist in my opinion should be 120 or 0. Other than that high fire resist and fc/fcr should be your next priorities. It takes time to setup a Mage and a suit. Good luck

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good advice from everyone so far.

Before resist and 100% lrc you need to get Fc & Fcr otherwise you wont be able to cast your spells anyway.

N

noxxle

Here is the plan.

I am going to take 5 from Necro, and 5 from Med to get Anatomy to 105. I'll leave the rest of the skills. To keep my skills where they are, I must have the midnight bracers, bloodwood spirit, and tome of lost knowledge equipped.

I will farm gold for: Rune Beetle Carapace, invulnerability shield, Kasa of Rajin, Pendant of Magi, and Fey legs.

Then I'll try to get the Ornament of the magician and a Crystalline ring through factions.

N

NickyDishes

heres some more advice: do not have both hands equipped (spellbook and invul. shield u mentioned) in pvp no matter what template ur on chugging always helps. I recomend if ur low on dci just hold a sheild, if not hold just a spellbook. Your gonna need a free hand.

N

noxxle

heres some more advice: do not have both hands equipped (spellbook and invul. shield u mentioned) in pvp no matter what template ur on chugging always helps. I recomend if ur low on dci just hold a sheild, if not hold just a spellbook. Your gonna need a free hand.
I am hoping with some of the gear mentioned above, I will have decent DCI and be able to hold both a spellbook and a shield. I need the spellbook as it gives me +15 magery.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Drop the shield then.
Or make some macro the disarms your shield, Drinks pot & rearms.

G

Gellor

I am hoping with some of the gear mentioned above, I will have decent DCI and be able to hold both a spellbook and a shield. I need the spellbook as it gives me +15 magery.
Keep in mind that the crystaline ring as +20 magery;)

Also, keep in mind that spellbooks can be disarmed. So relying upon them for critical parts of your suit(lrc and skills) may not be the wisest thing to do.

On my PvP mages, I use spellbooks for slayer properties and things like 6 int, 6 mana, and mana regen:thumbsup:

On pots, they are a great help but I'm too ADHD to keep track of them:loser: Of course, that is why my template is an uber survive template:thumbsup:

If you don't have parry and can make up the DCI throughout your suit, don't use the shield.

G

Green Meanie

100% lrc isnt as important as some would have you believe.

It certainly makes life way ezier but you can run without it i would place mods on your suit in this order

all resist 60+
fire resist 75+
lmc 40 less than 40 just isnt practical
mr 9+
dci 35+
LRC 100%
stat bonus

as far as making your template work
105 necro
120 ss
100 anatomy
120 eval
120 magery
120 med or resist (med is cheaper i wouldnt bother with resists till you can 120 it also in large group pvp resist takes kinda a side roll becouse theres so many targets you get the assists you need but in solo pvp no resist normaly means dead or useless) if you go resist put left over points in med if you go med put left over points in spell weaving

i would value your scrolls in this order 120 eval 120 ss 120 magery 120 resists
when you can afford too you might wanna look into switching to a negative mage weapon.

I right all this saying given time i know you can get all the scrolls and armor you need. For now just make do and relize your gonna be sub par while you build your char. Eventualy you will reach the template and items you want.

G

Gellor

100% lrc isnt as important as some would have you believe.

It certainly makes life way ezier but you can run without it i would place mods on your suit in this order
Actually, it is VERY important unless you are so elite you never die.

If you die and rely upon regs, even if you rez, you will be out of a fight. There is NO arguing that point.

People see regs, they grab them when looting. As a mage, if you have no regs, you cast NO spells. Even more worthless than a dexer with no pots or aids.

N

noxxle

How about 60 in med and 60 in resist? or does that make both useless?

G

Gellor

How about 60 in med and 60 in resist? or does that make both useless?
Resist is one of those all or nothing skills. Anything under 120 is almost worthless in PvP. And to me, short of 1v1, resist is worthless anyways.

G

Green Meanie

i do agree a mage with no regs that has 0 lrc is worthless but i run 60 lrc on one of my mages and pack 3 pairs of arcan boots. thats 78 casts from boots with 3/5 being free or 128 or so casts depending on the rdm # gen it is rare that i run outa regs and find meself with no charges on my boots. I also play factions so when i do die most the time im in stat and not much help anyways