• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How can I make money in UO 2017/2018?

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
With the coming of Endless Journey, I suspect this will be a recurring topic in the near future.

Since I'm a returning veteran myself, who is broke on Europa, I thought I'd start a thread in which richer players could give us broke folks a clue on how to make good money nowadays.

Things are very different than what they were and everything costs millions or billions now, so learning the best/fastest ways to make money is imperative to enjoy the game in another level.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Attend your servers events, Eventually you'll get a drop.

Spawns. Average pink dropped from a spawn is worth 1 mill. Of course that's average, Tamings being the most and others being garbage. Some 120's are through the roof due to the taming publish. Champs drop 250k, Lt sashes still worth ~ 35m, Mastery 3's are pretty solid. And all spawns are solo able, use templates built for spawning. Chance to get raided so Risk vs Reward. Get with a guild , figure out who scouts your servers and when. Oaks skulls still sell well if you are after consistent income per spawn.

Shadowguard. ~ 1.5m Dropped at the end, Cameos ~ 130-225m, Dozen other artifacts worth between 1m and 50m. Easy guaranteed named legendaries.

Treasure Hunting. Alacrities up to 2m, up to 20m on plate invuln refinements, Imbuing Ingredients,

Doom. 175m on Scholar's Halos and the majority of the recipes.

Exodus. 15m on the +5 Stat scrolls. Gold on ground after. Easily done with 2 suited/skilled crosshealers.

Whetstones/Crystals of Shame. 3-6m Depending on market value.

Bods. This sounds odd, But honestly. Grab your daily bods. Pof, shadow Hammers, Copper hammers. With the new bod system combined with bribing it's not hard to turn 15k and some ingots into 85k to 200k worth of goods in 20 crafts.

Despise: Could be wrong, but i'm fairly certain you could take a completely noob toon and bring down the boss using the archer monsters on the cliff. It's dirty and takes a while, but don't need 120's.

The majority of these are soloable, but become much easier with other players obviously :)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I brought a mage tower when they opened Legends by just making shirts over and over. Buy the cloth, make shirts, sell shirts. Can't do that anymore :( Many of the old ways probably don't work anymore for anyone returning. I didn't score a castle but I did get a large tower so making shirts wasn't a bad way to go back in the day lol Plus you could do it without leaving town :p Leaving town use to be pretty iffy. UO isn't really big on crafting anymore. As long as the game was growing crafting was viable, now it's a pyramid scheme.

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Some of the most rare occurrence:

1) Tame a blaze Cu with a Low 0.004 chance and it is worth platinum(s), or 1000 millions. Normally they are on auction here. The price is way beyond the gold limits traded in vendor gold which is only 175m.

2) If you manage to get a clean, I.e. no antique, curse or brittle Bokuto with at least 20 splintering and 50 Hit lightning, don't sell in game. Auction here as well and see how much you can get. Easily start at 150m.

3) In the unlikely event you manage to place a 18x18 or large house in Atlantic... or in Luna Atlantic... you already hit a Super jackpot...

4) Any rewards with Mesanna's name on it can sell very high price to collectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
This has all been pure gold so far! Keep it coming everyone :)
Remember the more new players know and thrive, the better the odds they'll stick around.

Shandara

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
King Greg listed excellent options, my favorite is Bulk Order Deeds aka BODs. I make all my gold doing BODs. Selling the rewards from them, even selling the occasional BOD itself. On the flip side you can sell Ingots, Leather, Sugar, Tribal Berries etc. to those of us fools who do BODs since we have no time to hunt and gather ourselves. I am sure you will be able to find another BOD filling fool on Europa. Welcome back btw :D

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I started back about a month ago. I had a little help from a couple of old friends and a new one.

Started with pretty much nothing. I used my tamer to do the invasions. Kept the gold looted anything worth anything. Got a Luna vendor and started selling the loot.

I was fortunate to have some holiday items I could sell too. I would also check vendor search and find items that were relatively easy to get and had a high profit margin.

It is a lot different now. A good suit costs about 150 million to make. Fortunately with the super loot drops you can get a few pieces for a reasonable price and build on those.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive made alot of gold since i decided i was tired of always being poor in UO around 5 years ago. i really have no idea but very rough calculations are around 300 to 500 billion. i made most of that gold from vendors, EM events, and armor/jewel/suit crafting. Im way too impatient to idoc, and have never been interested in the "less than reputable" means some people use to make gold. This was all gold that any player could make with a little time, effort, and know how.

Easiest way to make gold is buy / resell. this of course isnt very fun, but does make easy profits. You dont need alot of gold to start out. Ive made "startup gold" on shards i had nothing just by buying npc arrows low, and selling them to high priced npc vendors. it can of course apply to items worth up into the millions like arties / armor.

EM events. its very easy now to get "a drop" compared to a few years ago. prices are also not what they were, but if you regularly attend your shards events and get looting rights on the boss, it will be an easy 50 to 175m in your pocket. even if you sell on home shard to a reseller.

Learn whats good loot. dont undersell your loot. 1 mod can be the difference of millions, or hundreds of millions. The "market" here has also diminished, but theres still gold to be made.

Never loot corpses (unless you literally need insurance gold) you will be wasting time on the looting that could be using to be making gold efficiently.

Power scrolls / spawns.

building armor suits for people

Doing new content when everyone still wants (and is paying high prices) for the items

custom designed houses

You also dont really need alot of gold to get started compared to days gone by. a really good suit can be built with other peoples trash. just loot public corpses at events, or at a group doing a boss. alot of legendaries sell for 50k or less as well on vendor search. 110 scrolls are not that expensive, and is really all you need to have fun playing the game for most skills.

In the end, its a game. Dont just log in with the intention of "making gold". Know what you enjoy in the game, and then figure out how to make gold from it. that works for almost every style of gameplay (except maybe mining lol)

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Keep in mind that strategies to make money can be very different if you are on Atlantic vs other shards. Shard shields and vendor fees pretty much destroyed economies on lesser populated shards. Anything of value gets ported to Atl and sold there. At the same time, trying to buck the trend and sell something on a lesser populated shard is fruitless too. The turnover, due to both low pop and people not expecting to find anything, is low enough where vendor fees will eat any profit you'd expect to make.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Holidays are headed our way too, gifts can be a very profitable. If really desperate vet rewards can bring some good gold.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Learn whats good loot. dont undersell your loot. 1 mod can be the difference of millions, or hundreds of millions. The "market" here has also diminished, but theres still gold to be made.

Never loot corpses (unless you literally need insurance gold) you will be wasting time on the looting that could be using to be making gold efficiently.
1) So what is considered good loot? What kind of attributes are most valued nowadays?
2) What do you mean by never loot corpses? Are you referring to Gold on the corpses?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. really too much to explain. rare useful combos basically. like 5 hpi, or hci/dci can bump up the value of a legnedary from 10m to 150m. 1/3 is much more valuable than just 1fc, or 3fcr. 30 plus useful skill can be difference between 10m jewel and 200m jewel. stuff like that. think about whats what combos are hard to get, and whats most useful and easily added into an overall suit and those are the most valueable. a whole seperate guide would really have to be written but good starting point is see what sells for alot on the trade forum.

2. yeah, i meant just gold (unless you do need those small amounts of gold) or maybe if your on siege still worth looting gold because of 20 to 1 atlc ratio.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
1. really too much to explain. rare useful combos basically. like 5 hpi, or hci/dci can bump up the value of a legnedary from 10m to 150m. 1/3 is much more valuable than just 1fc, or 3fcr. 30 plus useful skill can be difference between 10m jewel and 200m jewel. stuff like that. think about whats what combos are hard to get, and whats most useful and easily added into an overall suit and those are the most valueable. a whole seperate guide would really have to be written but good starting point is see what sells for alot on the trade forum.

2. yeah, i meant just gold (unless you do need those small amounts of gold) or maybe if your on siege still worth looting gold because of 20 to 1 atlc ratio.
I never thought about not getting the Gold as it's pretty much the only way I get anything most of the time, but I guess it does make you heavy pretty fast and I could use that for actually important loot that might come up.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Train a Giant Beetle. Get a harvesters blade from the huntsman challenge. Go to destard. Kill dragons and Greater dragons with the Beetle. Take the gold and leather and put in Beetle till full. Sell the leather.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Basic Breakdown on loot. (Enhanced client search feature works well for this) Loot first, sort later.

Items to SORT

Search for "Legendary"
I ignore Cursed items, Weight 50 items, Antique Armor, weapons and shields.

Loot all Clean legendary/Majors (No brittle, no antique, no cursed, no weight 50)

Loot All Legendary Brittle Armor/Shields to Sort.

Brittle Weapons.. you'll have to ask someone else. I don't Usually bother with them. Other than Legendary spell channeling mage weapons with crazy regens.

Search for "Splinter" (Only appears in certain areas, so don't bother searching if it doesn't drop where you are)

Loot all Splinter 20+ Weapons With Hit Spell/Hld. (Warfork, Kryss, War Axe, Hammer Pick, Butcher's Knife, Hatchet, Bokuto, No Dachi, Spear, Pickaxe, and a few others are the main ones people are after)

Spell Channeling + Mage weapon + Splinter + Hit Spell Being Really good as well

Search for "Artifact"

I loot clean greater artifact jewels to be sorted. Normally lesser artifact jewels aren't any better than imbued. With the exception of skill increase. (I've seen +45 Skill increase on a lesser artifact jewel with 2 other mods at full intensity).

Almost all items with "Artifact" in the name will yield at least one relic When Unravelled, So you can grab these that aren't weight 50 depending on if you can recall in and out of where you are easy enough. I think relics are somewhere around 5k each still. Can toss these in their own bag. 125-200 of these and boom. Made a mill.

Unravel any of the previous items you don't decide to keep.

Clean Jewels (No Antique)
Rare
Hci 20 + Ssi 10 Relatively Clean
Ssi 10 + Di 35

Good
Ssi 10 + 1-2 Other mods. Other mods can be a combination of Hci, di, dci, str, dex, (hci 15 ssi 10, ssi 10 di 25 being the most common)
Sdi 18 + 1-2 Other Mods. Fc, Fcr, (That's all I really look for, you can pick up others)

Okay
Hci 20 Ssi 5 + di

Ran out of time. I'll explain sorting later on and the difference between named armor and no named armor.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Basic Breakdown on loot. (Enhanced client search feature works well for this) Loot first, sort later.

Items to SORT

Search for "Legendary"

Loot all Clean legendary/Majors (No brittle, no antique, no cursed, no weight 50)

Brittle Weapons.. you'll have to ask someone else. I don't Usually bother with them. Other than Legendary spell channeling mage weapons with crazy regens.

Search for "Splinter" (Only appears in certain areas, so don't bother searching if it doesn't drop where you are)

Loot all Splinter 20+ Weapons With Hit Spell/Hld. (Warfork, Kryss, War Axe, Hammer Pick, Butcher's Knife, Hatchet, Bokuto, No Dachi, Spear, Pickaxe, and a few others are the main ones people are after)

Search for "Artifact"

I loot clean greater artifact jewels to be sorted. Normally lesser artifact jewels aren't any better than imbued. With the exception of skill increase. (I've seen +45 Skill increase on a lesser artifact jewel with 2 other mods at full intensity).

Almost all items with "Artifact" in the name will yield at least one relic When Unravelled, So you can grab these that aren't weight 50 depending on if you can recall in and out of where you are easy enough. I think relics are somewhere around 5k each still. Can toss these in their own bag. 125-200 of these and boom. Made a mill.

Rare
Ssi 10 + Di 35

Good
Ssi 10 + 1-2 Other mods. Other mods can be a combination of Hci, di, dci, str, dex, (hci 15 ssi 10, ssi 10 di 25 being the most common)
Sdi 18 + 1-2 Other Mods. Fc, Fcr, (That's all I really look for, you can pick up others)

Okay
Hci 20 Ssi 5 + di

Ran out of time. I'll explain sorting later on and the difference between named armor and no named armor.
WOW that explanation was AMAZING, thanks!!!
I can't wait to read your next post :D:D:D

Really need to figure out how to use that SORT function on EC, haven't used it before.

EDIT: Think I misunderstood what this was yesterday. It's just the "Item Search" loupe symbol on the top left corner of the backpack, right? You basically take EVERYTHING from each corpse when hunting and then you just type those key words to get what you want and throw away the garbage when you reach the max weight you can carry around.

Last edited:

Sir Osis of Liver

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
This is more of the slow but constant grind method which doesnt even require leaving town. In the past 6 days i have made 220 mil by simply bodding and selling the new dyes. Only two skills are required alchemy/cooking both can be gmd on less than 200k total in gold. This will take time and is a bit boring.
1- have every character have .1 in cooking and alchemy. each day have these toons pick up there three bods. Discard the chocolate ones for cooking. Tribal paint. Fruit baskets etc... dont waste ur time on a hard to fill small bod. Of course u will also have one toon with gm in both skills.
2- fill useless bods and turn them in for a chance at an LBOD.
3- after about 3 weeks you will have a nice assortment of bods and lbods. For cooking i dont bother bribing sushi bods because all of them give me either dye. for miso bods i bribe them up to max for the Umbran violet dye, same for baking, gives umbran. The pie bod gives a plum tree usually a mil a pop. the rest are only worth bank points.
4- For the alchemy bods its the same. All lbods but the top two (Explosion/poison) give wind azul dye a mil a pop per sale. I only bother bribing the lesser lbod to boost it up to wind azul and the explosion to boost it up to the dull ruby dye. The poison bod might be hard to fill if u dont have access to copious amounts of parasitic and darkglow poisons. I have a bunch of barrel cactuses churning them out however. This bod (poison) could be problematic to fill at the start. If u can buy a ton parasitic/darkglow cheaply i would do it. I dont lumberjack for them at all, but i now have 12 barrel cactuses (cost of business) i started with one.
5- make a ton of stock with items you will fill small bods with. i have a few thousand of each pie and omg prob 30k in dough. having stock allows you to just fill the small bod as painlessly as possible. i can do this with one secure container that has around 110 items in it. Dont stockpile non-stackable items.
6- buy the lesser potions for alchemy. bottles are more expensive that the damned potion.
7- works with tinkering and the Spector's lens. They sell slowly but u can buy a hat of the magi for 10 mil and with 1 mil in bribing costs + 300 valorite ingots u can sell it for 30-40 mil. i might only sell one or two of these every few weeks. I veiw this sale as a "wow thats nice" kinda sale.
Im sure this isnt written well.. LOL! sorry long day.
It is a grind.. but id rather grind than pray for a drop. Results guaranteed. It will take 2-3 days macroing cooking stock. yes days...
It is compounding in the amount u have the potential to make. The longer you do it the more potential u have for gold. Im currently working with around 1400 cooking bods and 1000 alchemy bods.
Bulk Orders – Ultima Online
Sorry i forgot to mention this. Everytime you turn in a bod it gives you a chance to get a new bod. this is how this system of gold generation works. turn in a crappy one for a chance of a good one, rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
This is more of the slow but constant grind method which doesnt even require leaving town. In the past 6 days i have made 220 mil by simply bodding and selling the new dyes. Only two skills are required alchemy/cooking both can be gmd on less than 200k total in gold. This will take time and is a bit boring.
1- have every character have .1 in cooking and alchemy. each day have these toons pick up there three bods. Discard the chocolate ones for cooking. Tribal paint. Fruit baskets etc... dont waste ur time on a hard to fill small bod. Of course u will also have one toon with gm in both skills.
2- fill useless bods and turn them in for a chance at an LBOD.
3- after about 3 weeks you will have a nice assortment of bods and lbods. For cooking i dont bother bribing sushi bods because all of them give me either dye. for miso bods i bribe them up to max for the Umbran violet dye, same for baking, gives umbran. The pie bod gives a plum tree usually a mil a pop. the rest are only worth bank points.
4- For the alchemy bods its the same. All lbods but the top two (Explosion/poison) give wind azul dye a mil a pop per sale. I only bother bribing the lesser lbod to boost it up to wind azul and the explosion to boost it up to the dull ruby dye. The poison bod might be hard to fill if u dont have access to copious amounts of parasitic and darkglow poisons. I have a bunch of barrel cactuses churning them out however. This bod (poison) could be problematic to fill at the start. If u can buy a ton parasitic/darkglow cheaply i would do it. I dont lumberjack for them at all, but i now have 12 barrel cactuses (cost of business) i started with one.
5- make a ton of stock with items you will fill small bods with. i have a few thousand of each pie and omg prob 30k in dough. having stock allows you to just fill the small bod as painlessly as possible. i can do this with one secure container that has around 110 items in it. Dont stockpile non-stackable items.
6- buy the lesser potions for alchemy. bottles are more expensive that the damned potion.
7- works with tinkering and the Spector's lens. They sell slowly but u can buy a hat of the magi for 10 mil and with 1 mil in bribing costs + 300 valorite ingots u can sell it for 30-40 mil. i might only sell one or two of these every few weeks. I veiw this sale as a "wow thats nice" kinda sale.
Im sure this isnt written well.. LOL! sorry long day.
It is a grind.. but id rather grind than pray for a drop. Results guaranteed. It will take 2-3 days macroing cooking stock. yes days...
It is compounding in the amount u have the potential to make. The longer you do it the more potential u have for gold. Im currently working with around 1400 cooking bods and 1000 alchemy bods.
Bulk Orders – Ultima Online
Sorry i forgot to mention this. Everytime you turn in a bod it gives you a chance to get a new bod. this is how this system of gold generation works. turn in a crappy one for a chance of a good one, rinse and repeat.
I didn't even know we had Bulk order deeds for more than Blacksmith and Tailor now.
Thanks for letting us all know, this sounds really, really good for crafting oriented people.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran

Items to SORT

Search for "Legendary"

Search for "Artifact"

Rare
Ssi 10 + Di 35

Good

Okay
Hci 20 Ssi 5 + di

@King Greg,

Can you elaborate on the sorting and differences between named armor and no named armor like you said in the end of your last post here?

Sorry to bother you, but you opinion seems like good info here

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
With the coming of Endless Journey, I suspect this will be a recurring topic in the near future.

Since I'm a returning veteran myself, who is broke on Europa, I thought I'd start a thread in which richer players could give us broke folks a clue on how to make good money nowadays.

Things are very different than what they were and everything costs millions or billions now, so learning the best/fastest ways to make money is imperative to enjoy the game in another level.
Being a merchant has always been the best way of making easy money in game, you can often find deals even on Vendor Search and make a profit selling on your vendor/stratics (4gp mispriced items :D). Buying low and selling high is the name of the game and merchants have been around since early Ultima hehe :p

Merchant.png

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Ive made alot of gold since i decided i was tired of always being poor in UO around 5 years ago. i really have no idea but very rough calculations are around 300 to 500 billion. i made most of that gold from vendors, EM events, and armor/jewel/suit crafting. Im way too impatient to idoc, and have never been interested in the "less than reputable" means some people use to make gold. This was all gold that any player could make with a little time, effort, and know how.

Easiest way to make gold is buy / resell. this of course isnt very fun, but does make easy profits. You dont need alot of gold to start out. Ive made "startup gold" on shards i had nothing just by buying npc arrows low, and selling them to high priced npc vendors. it can of course apply to items worth up into the millions like arties / armor.

EM events. its very easy now to get "a drop" compared to a few years ago. prices are also not what they were, but if you regularly attend your shards events and get looting rights on the boss, it will be an easy 50 to 175m in your pocket. even if you sell on home shard to a reseller.

Power scrolls / spawns.

building armor suits for people

Doing new content when everyone still wants (and is paying high prices) for the items

custom designed houses

You also dont really need alot of gold to get started compared to days gone by. a really good suit can be built with other peoples trash. just loot public corpses at events, or at a group doing a boss. alot of legendaries sell for 50k or less as well on vendor search. 110 scrolls are not that expensive, and is really all you need to have fun playing the game for most skills.

In the end, its a game. Dont just log in with the intention of "making gold". Know what you enjoy in the game, and then figure out how to make gold from it. that works for almost every style of gameplay (except maybe mining lol)
This was a very good write up. Well done

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord

Items to SORT

Search for "Legendary"

Search for "Artifact"

Rare
Ssi 10 + Di 35

Good

Okay
Hci 20 Ssi 5 + di

This is a great write up as well. Thank you and Well Done!

Nyxx

Adventurer
Some of the most rare occurrence:

1) Tame a blaze Cu with a Low 0.004 chance and it is worth platinum(s), or 1000 millions. Normally they are on auction here. The price is way beyond the gold limits traded in vendor gold which is only 175m.

2) If you manage to get a clean, I.e. no antique, curse or brittle Bokuto with at least 20 splintering and 50 Hit lightning, don't sell in game. Auction here as well and see how much you can get. Easily start at 150m.

3) In the unlikely event you manage to place a 18x18 or large house in Atlantic... or in Luna Atlantic... you already hit a Super jackpot...

4) Any rewards with Mesanna's name on it can sell very high price to collectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
About that Bokuto post...I have a bladed staff with 20% splint and 50% hit lightning with prized, battle lust fc 1 and DI 70. What would you rate that?

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh the good olde days ...when peeps actually looted gold of monsters

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh the good olde days ...when peeps actually looted gold of monsters
Out of curiosity, is any of the advice given in this Thread (dated September 2017, over a Year and a half ago, now...) still valid nowadays ?