• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] How about some bait for the standard fish?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One of the most irritating things with fishing is getting several quests in a row for the same fish, so that you're almost certain to deplete and stocks you had built up beforehand of that type.

Instead of lots of marginally effective baits for rare fish, wouldn't it be better to have reasonably effective baits for each of the specific common fish?

While theoretically you can catch a bluegill on a Smallmouth bait, or vice versa (and growing up within a half-hours drive of Lake Cumberland and several very good fishing lakes, in Laurel Co., KY, I've done both), typically most baits are very specific in their presentation, to where there's only 3 or 4 fish types in the lake that will try to take it, and the rigging and choice of fishing location narrows down that even further.

Far more bait is sold this way, than bait for specialized fish.

What would be nice, and a better option for bait, would be to have the current bait rewards be MUCH rarer, and a bit more powerful - and replace them in the low-BOD range with baits for normal fish.

Said baits would make it to where your chance to catch a fish is halved, but if you catch a fish, it will be the type the bait is for 80% of the time, provided you are in the right water depth for the fish. Using the bait in the wrong depth would result in the chance to catch still being halved, with a random fish of the proper water level being caught 90% of the time on a success, with the type the bait is for, being 10% of the successes.

Frankly, it's obvious that the devs have done little or no RL fishing, as only a textbook refers to the Bluegill Sunfish as more than just "Bluegill", and that Shiners are a type of BAIT themselves (The bigger the shiner, the bigger what you're going for) - and that the world record Bluegill is less than HALF the weight, in lbs. of the stone weight of the game fish (leading to the question, just what does a Britannian stoneweight translate to, as the RL stoneweight would have max-normal-STR characters literally running around carrying TONS without fatigue).

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking that it would be interesting to have areas where one species would be caught more frequently than other species. One would have to fish different areas on the map to find out where to catch, for example, tarpon at an increased frequency. Don't fish run in schools? It would be realistic at least.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking that it would be interesting to have areas where one species would be caught more frequently than other species.

I think there is, to a degree.

I found that, on Europa, I can catch red bellied bream more frequently off Buccs docks. Those are the 'fresh water' fish I keep getting quests for and no stock.

BluDjinn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aye! I agree

I will gladly swap you some Holy Mackerel bait for something the cobia likes.

I would also be willing to swap ye some Stone crab bait for some kind the
Snow crabs love. :spider:

I'll even be willing to throw in a book or three on how to catch fish. :scholar:

Captain Toad of TIME BANDIT

(Hey! She is black, She steals all my time, I can fish for crabs off Her deck, and She has the Skull & Crossbones tattooed on Her bow, if the chance comes up)

Metalstorm

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bait for regular fish and crabs and lobsters would be very handy.

It would be even cooler if rather than being a reward they could be made by player cooks using few and readily available ingredients. I also think a cooking skill of expert or less would be quite enough to make these baits. High skill may be needed for the illustrious fish pies but bait for normal fish shouldn't require much skill.

I'd go further and suggest that they were not buyable at npc shoppes. Player made only.

Just my $.02 and I'm sure I have change coming :)

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree to pretty much all of the above. I could use some king crab or snow crab bait much more than I could use stone crab bait. As far as yellow barracuda bait, ack, that is a just plain worthless reward, as I catch them all the time without any bait at all. I would love to trade it in or use it to make a bait for something I have a hard time keeping stock of.

On Pacific Shard there is a chat channel for "fish trading" although I rarely see anyone on it. I try to monitor it with my fisher in hopes that someone may show up to do some fish or trap-fish trading. I have tons of some fish while my stock stays at zero for others.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As far as yellow barracuda bait, ack, that is a just plain worthless reward, as I catch them all the time without any bait at all.
If you think it's useless on Pacific, imagine what it's like getting that bait on Siege, where that fish doesn't exist because there's no Trammel.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have a fish market in Europa (thanks to Cailleach) and it pretty much works. Even after I quit doing the monger quests, I was still adding the fish I caught to the storage, hoping someone else to make use of them. This is also how the system was intended to work:

... My thought was that people would just trade (fish) with each other and it would all even out. ...
I know how hard it is to catch a specific amount of a fish in an order, especially with an evil rng. I also understand from the posts that a basic fish market has not been established or still is very limited on shards. When there is no major interest in fishing on a shard, the idea on the above quote loses its meaning. Thus, a bait for the standard fish sounds like a good idea.

It doesnt mean fishers will stop trading fish with each other after these standard fish baits are introduced. Fishers can still trade baits with each other.

On a totally unrelated note, when there is no hunger system and food being spawned and sold in various ways, the value of a "fish steak" is quite close to zero. New magical fish pies made the fish steaks important again after a long period. However, when the chance to catch a rare fish -even with a bait- is explained as:

... The chance of catching the specific fish goes from lottery-odds to very-hard when you use bait. (Those aren't exact numbers.)
,I dont see a standard bait that could be used as discussed here. If it will not set the chance to a certain degree but it will just increase the "lottery odds", then they can let the current system be. So, maybe we can discuss how much these standard baits shall increase the odds:

There are 18 standard sea fish, 12 dungeon fish and again 12 shore fish. If each fish has the same chance to be caught, it makes about ~5.6% to catch a certain sea fish and ~8.4% chance to catch a certain dungeon or shore fish. So what should be the chance after a bait is used? 50%, 75%, or maybe 100%? What do you think?

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone have a location for shovel-nose lobsters? I just filled yet another beetle load with crabs and lobsters but only 3 of them were shovel-nose. Iam tired of crabbing .. i want to do more quests and fish ... grrr

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Anyone have a location for shovel-nose lobsters? I just filled yet another beetle load with crabs and lobsters but only 3 of them were shovel-nose. Iam tired of crabbing .. i want to do more quests and fish ... grrr
The general consensus is to find someone who doesn't need shovel-nose, have them fish off one side of your boat, as you fish the other, then trade your catches - as you'll catch what he needs that you don't and vice-versa.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The general consensus is to find someone who doesn't need shovel-nose, have them fish off one side of your boat, as you fish the other, then trade your catches - as you'll catch what he needs that you don't and vice-versa.
Well i tested it with a second fisher on my boat and don't get any shovel nose with that fisaherman either. ;) So i probably need another boat that has no crate with a lobster quest.