• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) Housing Question (Issue?)

PaulCH

Journeyman
After a couple of months, I finally saved up enough money to buy a house but ran into a minor issue when I tried to place it...the dreaded house placement warning.

I've read that you can place a house on a prodo shard and one on Siege so my question is simply...assuming that I have a house on a prodo shard and no others on Siege (one house total on my account), is it normal to still get the warning when placing a second house on Siege?

Attachments

Ol'Rac Nnod

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I've always heard one on siege and one anywhere else too...I hope someone chimes in with an answer

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yeap - you get the warning - ignore it when you place your first house on Siege (when already owning a house on another shard). If you place another house on Siege the first one will start to decay but your house on the other shard will never be affected.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After a couple of months, I finally saved up enough money to buy a house but ran into a minor issue when I tried to place it...the dreaded house placement warning.

I've read that you can place a house on a prodo shard and one on Siege so my question is simply...assuming that I have a house on a prodo shard and no others on Siege (one house total on my account), is it normal to still get the warning when placing a second house on Siege?

May I add, please don't just place a house to place one. So many wasted spots out there..

Not saying that's what you're doing, just bringing it up. Theres like 5 house spots I want that are just dropped and forgotten.

Entheeya

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to see all the unused houses on Siege decay if you don't log onto our shard for a few hours every 2 weeks....Milky .....

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May I add, please don't just place a house to place one. So many wasted spots out there..

Not saying that's what you're doing, just bringing it up. Theres like 5 house spots I want that are just dropped and forgotten.
This 100%. I have waypoints set on several locations where homes were placed, open to public and completely empty and abandoned. Yet they never fall.

This was the argument many of us had when this exception was made.

In my opinion, I think anybody who places a home but also owns a home on a prodo shard: their siege home should decay much more quickly. Forcing them to login daily or weekly until they let it drop or abandon their prodo home.

This vacation home crap didn't work. Good intentions. But it didn't increase the population. It increased the opportunists.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This 100%. I have waypoints set on several locations where homes were placed, open to public and completely empty and abandoned. Yet they never fall.

In my opinion, I think anybody who places a home but also owns a home on a prodo shard: their siege home should decay much more quickly. Forcing them to login daily or weekly until they let it drop or abandon their prodo home.

This vacation home crap didn't work. Good intentions. But it didn't increase the population. It increased the opportunists.
At this point I think the only workable solution would be to allow 2nd houses on prodo shards but only one per shard. I think a lot of those forgotten houses on Siege would be found and demolished pretty quickly.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I typed out a beautiful response.. but my phone slipped and Tapatalk told me to **** off.

Anyways. People with timeshares on Siege didn't work. So let's repeal the rule and let native Siege players to place.

Those who are coming to Siege are coming to fight. They aren't coming to vacation on the best spots for us to place homes.

Lady Lavendar

Seasoned Veteran
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I like having a home on Siege and on another shard. I have historical homes on another shard I plan to hang onto, even though I play here more. I was thrilled to be able to have a house on each shard, and certainly don't want to see this changed. There are a number of people who enjoy this benefit and make good use of it.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmm some of us 'came' to siege with the intent to play from Prodo shards, me included. I didn't actually place on siege until I decided to actually play here. I agree that a lot of prodo shard people placed because they could but the solution would be to make it that they must long in at least once a month or the the place goes into decay. Quite a few in my alliance are here because they can place but still play on their homeshards too, so I guess you can't have it both ways.

If you take away my ablility to have a house here then I am afraid I will drop all and head back to prodo, mainly as I have 12 yrs invested there and 7 mths here. I still maintain vendors on my home shard as well as Atlantic. Right now I don't see me playing prodo for a long time, however if push comes to shove and I have to 'choose' then I will go back, pack everything up there and probably quit completely. I wouldnt let that stuff drop as I have 2 castles and a luna joint packed to the brim with pretty neat stuff, and by the time I went there and packed I would be 'over' UO completely.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I saw one named "placed because I could" which really steamed me. That's just being a ****.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm some of us 'came' to siege with the intent to play from Prodo shards, me included. I didn't actually place on siege until I decided to actually play here. I agree that a lot of prodo shard people placed because they could but the solution would be to make it that they must long in at least once a month or the the place goes into decay. Quite a few in my alliance are here because they can place but still play on their homeshards too, so I guess you can't have it both ways.

If you take away my ablility to have a house here then I am afraid I will drop all and head back to prodo, mainly as I have 12 yrs invested there and 7 mths here. I still maintain vendors on my home shard as well as Atlantic. Right now I don't see me playing prodo for a long time, however if push comes to shove and I have to 'choose' then I will go back, pack everything up there and probably quit completely. I wouldnt let that stuff drop as I have 2 castles and a luna joint packed to the brim with pretty neat stuff, and by the time I went there and packed I would be 'over' UO completely.
Hey, if you play siege, even part time, and your home actually has a purpose, thats cool. I just cannot stand the like 100+ houses that were just placed because they could, no walls or floor, never decorated, never used. Been sitting there in good spots for years.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't say I don't enjoy my houses I have 3 main houses on Siege that I call primary. The rest are smallish 10x8 to 15x10s in out of the way places that are great to visit but no one wants to live there :) The problem I see with having to refresh once per Month or even at all is there are more than a few folks like me that for one reason or another go sometimes months without being able to log in. Some are deployed military, some medical issues (me last year), and other work (Me in the past from April through September). Should I or anyone else loose houses because we can't log in for extended period of time throughout the year? I just can't come to see where that is fair. For years prior to the second house option when I was gone from game over the summer I demolished 10 of my 12 Siege houses. If someone wanted those spots they were welcome to them. Each fall I would return to game though and all of those spots were still empty.

Enter the second house and my return that fall....... All but 3 of the 10 had been placed with dirt plots and there they have sat as dirt plots ever since. Its like OK this person played long enough to get enough gold to place a house and then left to never be seen again. So I placed my houses in other out of the way and generally hostile place and just don't demolish the houses over the summer anymore. The exception being last year when I did drop many of them and asked friends to hold the others. LOL If I had died RL as expected there would have been 20 Siege houses that would have stood for 6 years until my card expired and there was no one to update the expiration date :) Not exactly fair either :)

I still believe the best and really only fair solution is to open a second house on some or all prodo shards. Even if it were only opened on say the 10 lowest population shards. I ran around Legends yesterday test placing and in a hour found 5 tram side castle spots wide open and a whole lot of Keep sites. Prodo players would actually log on and use those house spots. The bulk of the dirt plots and empty houses on Siege would be demolished so they could place in Tram land. Lets face it, the vast majority of UO players rarely if ever visit Fel on prodo. LOL Siege is a scary place and those ATL trash talkers in GC can actually kill you anywhere outside of Guard Zones on Siege. Siege is Siege and I guess you have to be a special kind of mental to enjoy playing on Siege VS prodo. So people came they placed lots of houses and never came back. Can't say this was not expected. I just don't see making it more difficult for those of us that placed our second houses on prodo to keep them standing. Just allow 2nd houses on some or all prodo shards and problem solved.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I get where you're coming from, Tyrath. There is no solution that isn't going to affect somebody negatively based on their circumstances. But to be fair, there are work arounds for such situations as you have described. Siege is a very community driven server. As such, it probably wouldn't be very difficult to find somebody to hold those homes for you for an undetermined time for example.

Fool proof? Of course not. But it is a 100% guarantee that I will never be able to place anything larger than a two-story 12x12 on the location that I've wanted for years because somebody from a prodo shard placed an empty 7x7 plot and never logged in again. :/

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I get where you're coming from, Tyrath. There is no solution that isn't going to affect somebody negatively based on their circumstances. But to be fair, there are work arounds for such situations as you have described. Siege is a very community driven server. As such, it probably wouldn't be very difficult to find somebody to hold those homes for you for an undetermined time for example.

Fool proof? Of course not. But it is a 100% guarantee that I will never be able to place anything larger than a two-story 12x12 on the location that I've wanted for years because somebody from a prodo shard placed an empty 7x7 plot and never logged in again. :/
I just like to think in terms of give people what they want instead of taking things away. And the Genie is out of the bottle so to speak. On the bright side I now occupy 16 Atlantic house spots that I will rarely visit :) Seriously though if say the person with 7x7 in your dream spot had the opportunity to place on Origin or Legends for example both dead shards with wide open housing, do you really think they would leave a 7x7 on Siege when they could drop a castle on either of those two? I know if I were a hardcore trammie I would dump Siege in a heartbeat to place on a prodo shard. As a bonus those low pop shards would get some more action going on as prodo people would be much more likely to play on a second prodo shard. I think it would be quite popular.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Plus I just placed a house just a hop away from the Atlantic Brit Moongate and bought a bunch of tele tiles to make a hub there lol.........

Atlantic Hub.jpg

Lady Lavendar

Seasoned Veteran
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I have one of those empty plots. I've been waiting and hoping for help with the house design for about 3 years now..........I did a trade with someone and the trade was to do the house, but that person didn't come through. I'm crossing my fingers that the person I wanted to help in the first place, who left the game for a while, might help me do the house. If so, you will see a lot turn into a house finally! Have had that lot for a very very long time.

People might think my houses are empty, but well, I use all of them, except for the pitiful empty plot that I'm hoping to make into a house.

And for the record, I've been here since 2000 on Siege. Not that it matters. I wear my AoS sandals with my name on them. I do have historical buildings elsewhere, like Coco does, and I am pretty happy I can keep those from falling as well as play Siege.