• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Housing Decay , Client Crash ?

• Thread starter kennykilleduo
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
K

kennykilleduo

Has anyone in the last few months been at a IDOC and just after the house falls ( not as it falls ) either lag out or client crash?

This happened to me on the Chesapeake Castle one on Saturday , but has happened quite a few other time also , and no it's not my ISP , i can surf and ping out with no problems..

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Not into IDOC'ing anymore. However, in running spawns I have ran across client crashes every time my crew is fighting a certain guild (nope not VIP either). I go all day with no client crashes running around. Including going into star room and spwan locations. When this one guild is on each and every time they are around and you go into a swirly or cave etc you immediately lose conn. I do not run any program outside of UOAssist. I came up with 3 possible reasons.

Possible # 1: When someone in the area is using a very bad script etc it causes client crashes in the area.

Possible # 2: Someone has written a script to cause cleint crashes on ones they chose (pretty sure this would be close to impossible but some bored programmer with a ton of time on their hands can do almost anything they choose to)

Possible # 3: Just bad luck.

For now I am going with possible #3 but #1 & 2 are running a very close second.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
This happened to me last week, I was at a nice 18x18 in Tokuno on Origin, I was waiting..waiting...CRASH~ When I finally got back the house was gone and a nice 7x7 was in it's place with 2 ppl looting all the goods...*grumbles*

B

Babble

Most likely the fast download of so many items that cluttered your connection so you lose con?

G

I always assumed my computer just got overloaded with information all at once and couldn't take it.
I mean it doesn't happen often but sometimes yes.

I

imported_Seinken

Just a tip if you are idoc hunting for placement -- stand near the house sign and set your update range to the lowest possible.

G

even with a good connection your client can be overloaded with packets. I watched a whole lot of people crash at todays castle idoc while I had no lag at all then again I am on 10mbit cable here. It takes a really strong connection to properly handle an idoc and even then its still shaky and can crash you under the right circumstances.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Possible # 2: Someone has written a script to cause cleint crashes on ones they chose (pretty sure this would be close to impossible but some bored programmer with a ton of time on their hands can do almost anything they choose to)

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been around for years, Its happened to me but its been 3 or 4
years since the last time......

G

This is pretty disturbing to think about actually ... something can be caused to crash because of some gibberish being sent to it can usually be eventually caused to load virus code.

B

Babble

UO's client was often not very stable during the years.

And spamming words to crash the client is not hacking a computer.

G

<blockquote><hr>

And spamming words to crash the client is not hacking a computer.

[/ QUOTE ]Actually it is - if you've caused a crash, it usually means that you've caused the client to shove some gibberish into memory somewhere and try to execute it. If a malicious person understands how it happened, they may eventually find a way to push a specific string of their choosing into memory instead of gibberish. Once they've done that, they've got the doorway to uploading a virus or anything else.

So I'm not saying that these crashes are anything like that now, I'm just saying that if people are deliberately causing other peoples' clients to crash, they've mastered manipulating a bug to a degree that could eventually be leveraged to become even more dangerous.

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

even with a good connection your client can be overloaded with packets. I watched a whole lot of people crash at todays castle idoc while I had no lag at all then again I am on 10mbit cable here. It takes a really strong connection to properly handle an idoc and even then its still shaky and can crash you under the right circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to many what if's there , its a bug or a exploit..

G

It happened to me at this recent castle fall.

I've been to other IDOCs that didn't cause me to crash, but often times these were small, just me and a couple of other players there.

Maybe it has something to do with when the new plots are placed. *shrugs*

I

imported_Hanna

Idocs with lots of stuff generally have a great potential for causing crashing. Having someone place on top of you can also cause crashes because you are moved under house sign and especially if you trying to pick something up at that moment.

But it wouldn't surprise me if someone manage a script to crash others, especially at idocs when a few seconds mean so much.

I sometimes get stuck when someone grabs what I am trying for and I try to pick up the ghost image.