• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hostile Taming

S

Static

How do you tame hostile creatures?

I always die, im a Tame Weave/Mage so no music..... Just a little confused:coco:

I

Imyaidu

I always die, im a Tame Weave/Mage so no music..... Just a little confused:coco:
Are you beating said target down to minimal health? They often slow down and won't use magic attacks on you when there is just a sliver of health left. That's how it's done without too much clever maneuvering.

S

Static

i think i understand taming now........

the tamers i have met always incurage multipule soulstones..... Well now i think i understand.

I think ill get music peace etc, and soulstone them for taming... Then for Raid's etc ill switch back over to weaving etc.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have no extra soul stones used for taming (my stones hold provoke and music and resist and I have no more stones available).

Instead, I use one of the following tactics:
1. Honor taming - I only use this for the really tough tames, like greater dragons. The steps go like so: 1. Build up honor (succubus work well, I use balrons) to at least follower of honor. 2. When you find your future pet, honor yourself. 3. Tame without fear of being attacked.

2. Paralyze taming - Cast paralyze on your future pet. Tame and hope it doesn't break paralyze before you're done. It doesn't work without evaluate intelligence on your template.

3. Lead taming - Beat it down (sometimes, sometimes I don't), tame and stay in front of it. Make sure you're wearing high resist armor, carrying a mage weapon and you have DCI on your armor. I used to have an extra suit of armor just for taming, but now my main suit has both resists and LRC. The old suit had only resists and I carried reagents to get my new pets. It takes practice, but it isn't too hard.

4. Peace taming - Without the soul stone, I need to borrow someone else to keep the future pet peaced, but it works wonderfully on anything smaller than a greater dragon, which I only tame with honor. They hit too hard and are too difficult to peacemake to try any other way for me.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oooh don't get rid of spellweaving, gift of life is so handy for failed lead taming "accidents" :D

I don't peace or honour tame, I just beat the critter up, then tame it. I run up to the beast with invis precast, then drop it on myself when I'm in position, hold my tame macro till I start a proper attempt (keeping a tile between me and the beastie) and once the tame starts, I scoot a bit further away and cast invis on myself through the taming cycle so the beast doesn't just keep on blasting me. You don't have to cast invis, I just find it can take the heat off a bit with a really aggressive tame :)

Gift of renewal can be quite handy for lead taming, and if it's a caster I like to eat orange petals or carry cures. Otherwise strong resist armour and a well practiced lead tame will get you a pet without any pacification of said beastie. A greater confusion blast potion is an option too, though I've never tried employing one when taming ;)

Wenchy

A

Asahina Yajinden

just a thought if you use paralyze..... doesnt that = stat loss for the pet?

no one wants to lower a pet's stats , skills ,etc right before they tame it.

one thing i do to help taming aggro pets equip a bow so you dont get that swatting at the pet thing going on.. just make sure you don't have any arrows in your pack.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heh, I always carry arrows in case an archer runs out of arrows in the middle of a bad situation, like peerless or Doom.

Paralyze taming does reduce the skills of whatever you're taming post-tame, but they can be trained up to the same level as if you didn't paralyze them.

You can also paralyze whatever it is you're trying to tame, then hope that it wears off while you're taming and do lead-taming tactics from there. It's an effort saver, but not really neccessary.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's worth mentioning that while you can usually retrain any skill lost through para, if the skill was over GM and you para tame the beastie, you'll never be able to gain beyond the level it ends up at once tamed.

In other words, the only thing I'd para tame is a beast I didn't intend to keep (eg working cu sidhe spawns) or one whose skills don't go above 100. With casters I find it just p's them off anyways :D

Wenchy

K

Kyrie_Elaison

HONOR!

Go to swoops or sphinx and honor them before you kill them. Once you gain enough honor you can honor yourself and tame the creatures without them attacking you.

Just run up and hide (I use stealth) and then you can honor yourself while hidden (you will become visible when you do this). Make sure you invis close enough so that you can immediately start taming as soon as you appear. Have a tame/target last macro set up and just hold the key down until you start taming. If you are level 3 or so with your honor you will have a couple minutes to tame, which is plenty of time if your skills are high enough.

:)

If you are taming for gains then you need to try some of the other methods suggested, as you will run out of honor too fast to tame a large enough quantity.

U

uoBuoY

All good suggestions but if your a really poor Tamer like me...

1) Run up to prospective pet and invis
2) Decide: keeper or not
3) If keeper, Disco it (when it hits you, it hits for up to 28% less damage)
4) If Greater Drag (loose Peace and take Magery for gating) then Honor yourself
5) If less than Greater Drag, Peace it
6) If Cu, stay out of range or bring a friend to Peace.
7) Practice a lot!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Another Good thing to do is go to Papua and find a Swamp Dragon wandering around. You can practice Lead Taming on them without too much worry since they only hit for like 5-10 damage.....

Oh and shouldn't you be out stealing something?

T

Trinsie

Here is what I learned to do.

Invisible spell is your best friend if you don't have peace. Make a UO assist macro to cast invisibility on yourself.

Paralyze taming: If you are paralyze taming then precast invis. Run up to the monster and invis yourself. Now cast paralyze on it and start to tame it. Now keep hitting your invis macro. You will constantly keep casting invis on yourself and it will wear off right away. Each time you do this the monster stops hating you. This makes it so that it should not have enough time to aggro then hit you between invis casts.

Normal taming: Precast invis then run up to the monster and invis yourself. (Now this is the tricky part) Hit your invis macro and right before the spell casts start to tame the monster. If done right you will turn invisible a second or less than a second after you start to tame. Now just spam your invis macro until it is tamed or repeat if you fail.

This may seem odd but it works very well.

P.S. I advise lead taming for most situations. For some monsters like dragons who keep shooting spells at me while I try to lead them, use the invisibility method.

Edit: This is a video of someone using invisibility spam to tame a dragon, he does get hit by one fireball during this but usually you won't be hit.
(This is not my video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T8mp4t7osg

Grimwar

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a simple method to lead tame.
Do no not go with in 2 steps of the target. ie stay ahead.
Have no reflect Spell or item bounas up. equip a zero wep. Ie a bow , but have no bolts.

Run Up, and i mean run up, they won't attack for like 2 secs.
Try to tame, if no good, invis your self, wait 10 secs, repeat.
What makes a good Tamer is also a macro.
Its a simple Uo macro.

Macro is:

Use skill-Taming
wait for target
Last Target

Ie Set to key T

But you must have targeted it at least once.

So set up another macro to

Use Skill -Taming

Set it to Ket Y

These are only suggestions

Simple no other macro.

once this is used you lefed with a target item, target the tameable and then keep you other macro pressed.

hold this key down, while you have one finger pressed on that simple macro,
( i mean if you use this macro , let's say you set it to your T key) { Keep the T key pressed, do not worry about the taming skill you can dance and jump about to avoid their attacks, all the the while your still trying to tame ( must stay with the 2 step radius)

F

Fink

Run Up, and i mean run up, they won't attack for like 2 secs.
A little known thing about hostile creatures is they do an aggro check every twelve seconds until they find something to attack.

This means if you've got invis precast, you can drop the spell on yourself the moment the creature goes grey to you, then you have a 12 second gap before the next aggro. If you're taming something like drakes for the zoo, you can get a tame attempt in and precast invis again as necessary before it goes grey on you. Basically it'll never touch you and you won't have to lead tame or beat it down.

P

pavel.vesely

For greater dragons, honor taming is best. If you are lazy to work up your honor, bring friend or two, for additional healing and ressurection. Greater dragons can easily kill you using flamestrike + dragon breath combo. Armour suit with 70 resist in physical and fire is must. Also, you should know when to run (important PvM skill).

For everything other lead taming is sufficient.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All good hints, some I haven't heard before, but will remember :)

When I tamed my bake kitsunes, the little monsters were determined to eat me. So I took a pile of heal and cure pots, then managed to wedge them, one at a time, on the corner of someones house. I stood and chugged heal pots while taming. Seemed to work pretty well - once they run out of mana, there's not a lot else they can do to you, wedged on a corner like that, so you just have to keep trying til you get them :)

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*grins* I tried that trick with a house too, then the smart alec kit I was taming remembered she could teleport :D Wee monster... Though that wasn't quite what I called her at the time. Especially as she then went on a teleport frenzy outside the house so I tamed her by running flat out in circles while she teleported after me. I wish I'd videoed it because it was hillarious. I could barely tame for laughing ;)

Wenchy

M

mutau

just a thought if you use paralyze..... doesnt that = stat loss for the pet?

no one wants to lower a pet's stats , skills ,etc right before they tame it.

one thing i do to help taming aggro pets equip a bow so you dont get that swatting at the pet thing going on.. just make sure you don't have any arrows in your pack.
I'm confused. The pet's stats are cut in half when tamed (roughly), so when you para tame, beating it down or any type of tame, which is it? Stat loss or Skill loss? I thought it was skill? Sorry, can someone explain that? i'm taming now to see which stat loses more.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's skill loss from para taming. Basically in addition to the normal 10% or so you lose just from taming a pet, you'd lose a further 4% because it had been para tamed. [ I'm quoiting those figures from memory, but I think they're right :)]

Greater draggies work differently when it comes to their skills before and after taming. Just to be awkward lol. But para makes no difference to the drop in stats a pet receives after taming. If they drop stats, it's based solely on what the animal is.

Hope that makes sense.

Wenchy

M

mutau

ok. cool. so its actually 'skill loss' not 'stat loss'? i was thinking, dang they lose more stats even after i tame. harsh. so saying 'stat loss' means skill loss. LOL. ok. *reverses thinking*

ty for the explanation on the amts of skill losses. thats good to keep in mind when taming dragons and puppies.

F

Fink

Another technique I call "pinning"..

If you have a friend with Herding, have them double-click their crook, target the animal (cu sidhe for example), then just spam a last object/last target macro. That'll keep the animal all but pinned where it is for relatively painless lead taming.

M

mutau

Another technique I call "pinning"..

If you have a friend with Herding, have them double-click their crook, target the animal (cu sidhe for example), then just spam a last object/last target macro. That'll keep the animal all but pinned where it is for relatively painless lead taming.
Cool. is there a difference in the amts of skills lost compared to parataming or beating it down or peace? that sounds like a feasible way of taming. i wonder if using herding and then taming will make you wait a bit between skills.

H

Hans

Another option if you have Spellweaving is using ethy voyage. Depening on your focus you can get 1-3 tames off. Works like honor without the hassel of working it, just have to wait for the cool down timer if you fail.