• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hobbies...

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Loved fly fishing from a belly boat, but haven't done much recently. Always feels good to fool a wily trout on a fly you tie yourself, or were given by a friend! Thanks for waking up good memories and restarting the urge to feel tight lines, Nexus.

hebgen brown on prince nymph.jpg

P.S. 99.99% are released.

Last edited:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Loved fly fishing from a belly boat, but haven't done much recently. Always feels good to fool a wily trout on a fly you tie yourself, or were given by a friend! Thanks for waking up good memories and restarting the urge to feel tight lines, Nexus.

View attachment 69090

Being new to fly fishing I'm not tying my own yet, though I plan to start doing that over the winter when everyone else is out ice fishing. I've also missed the peak of time for trout locally though it will pick up again in a couple months as the weather starts cooling and have mainly been catching various types of sunfish and small rock bass with it. Right now I've only a St. Croix 5wt rod setup for use, though I'm buying an 8wt soon for when the Chinook and Coho salmon start running near the end of August. I'm going to get an extra spool or two for the reel for it and set at least one up for warm water and target Small and Largemouth Bass and hopefully Muskies with it next year.

Oh ya, that's a nice brownie in that pic. I'm looking forward to the end of the Salmon run this year too, you get some big browns that follow the salmon as they move out of Lake Ontario to feed on the salmon eggs before they spawn in the streams. State record for brownies here is 33 lb. 2 oz.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
State record for brownies here is 33 lb. 2 oz.
Oh my, that's not a piscine, that is a HAWG! Last 2 rods I bought were St. Croix, a 9' 6 wt. Bank Robber for big streamers, and a 10' 4 wt. High Stick Drifter for nymphs and dries paired with Lamson Guru 3 and Guru 2 reels. State record for Tiger Muskie, was a forty pounder in 1994, caught a few miles from home, but they stopped that program. Those muskies were eating all the other fish in the reservoir. I have never caught one on a fly rod, but long ago one latched onto the 14 inch trout on my line and played tug of war with me. The trout and I lost, but the rehabbing eagle at the ranger station got a fresh trout dinner.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oh my, that's not a piscine, that is a HAWG! Last 2 rods I bought were St. Croix, a 9' 6 wt. Bank Robber for big streamers, and a 10' 4 wt. High Stick Drifter for nymphs and dries paired with Lamson Guru 3 and Guru 2 reels. State record for Tiger Muskie, was a forty pounder in 1994, caught a few miles from home, but they stopped that program. Those muskies were eating all the other fish in the reservoir. I have never caught one on a fly rod, but long ago one latched onto the 14 inch trout on my line and played tug of war with me. The trout and I lost, but the rehabbing eagle at the ranger station got a fresh trout dinner.
Most of the trout fishing locally is in small creeks and streams, you don't get a lot of big one's though occasionally someone will haul in one around 6lbs, but 1/2 - 2 lbs is more common. Sooner or later I'm going to look into getting a 6'6" 3wt for fishing these small creeks though, they quite often have a lot of brush cover.

The big brownies live mainly in the Great Lakes and then run up tributaries to spawn, or you find a few, though not as large as in the lakes, in the bigger rivers like the Delaware, Beverkill, or Salmon River.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Wow that picture came out big lol...but UO is my free time....the other 99% of my life is spent with these two beautiful girls, the youngest of which just turned 14 yesterday and is bound for high school! We go swimming, take walks, go to our friends farm to see the animals....and just live life! Today me and my youngest went for a walk in the rain!

IMG_3921.jpg

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Wow that picture came out big lol...but UO is my free time....the other 99% of my life is spent with these two beautiful girls, the youngest of which just turned 14 yesterday and is bound for high school! We go swimming, take walks, go to our friends farm to see the animals....and just live life! Today me and my youngest went for a walk in the rain!

View attachment 69091
You should introduce UO to them... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You should introduce UO to them... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I've tried! They don't have the patience to play games like this....both of them love Minecraft and Roblox but they don't really do anything but wander around and talk to people....training skills? Forget it....my kids are lazy :/ My youngest likes running around on my tamer because she likes my pets but when I had her build her own tamer....she lost interest really quick! Kids these days!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

View attachment 69090

bass.jpg

Wasn't expecting this guy.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Lately I've gone back to playing with polymer clay. It isn't as exciting as some other hobbies, but I'm enjoying it again. I like to work small... recently made a miniature angry bird (youngest grandson is crazy about them), and I also made a tiny fairy home - no molds, just formed by hand, although I cheated on the greenery and used dried deco mosses for that part.

Day 25.jpg fairy house2.jpg

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have dabbled in all sorts of things. Becoming the owner of my own home has given me things to do. I started a garden, bought a Jeep, started canning and dehydrating, sit outside and look up at the stars 'cause MAN IS IT DARK HERE! I have a real spider as a pet. She had to be moved because she was doing this weird trampoline thing on her sheet web and I was terrified to go out my front door! oh... and watching hummingbirds fight over 8 feeders....and taking pictures... I bought a new fancy camera I need to use it more. I myself have a website..I tried years ago to use it as a source of income, but I never had enough attention to go around. I bought polymer clay and someone gave me an oven years ago to start marking jewelry when I left a job. It is all still in the box!!! If I were half as cool as my gadgets, I'd be pretty dang cool!

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Film yourself making those and you'll become a youtube celeb! You don't have to show your face or anything, youngsters actually prefer when they see it from your point of view(and only see your hands).
Oh, I can't see myself doing anything like that. Heck, I'm still struggling with the learning process. It also takes me a long time to complete anything... it's all trial and error, while trying to learn other things as well (i.e., my efforts at painting with soft pastels have not resulted in anything worth sharing). It's fun trying, though. :)

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I have dabbled in all sorts of things. Becoming the owner of my own home has given me things to do. I started a garden, bought a Jeep, started canning and dehydrating, sit outside and look up at the stars 'cause MAN IS IT DARK HERE! I have a real spider as a pet. She had to be moved because she was doing this weird trampoline thing on her sheet web and I was terrified to go out my front door! oh... and watching hummingbirds fight over 8 feeders....and taking pictures... I bought a new fancy camera I need to use it more. I myself have a website..I tried years ago to use it as a source of income, but I never had enough attention to go around. I bought polymer clay and someone gave me an oven years ago to start marking jewelry when I left a job. It is all still in the box!!! If I were half as cool as my gadgets, I'd be pretty dang cool!
You must live in the country. If so, I do envy you! I hope you post some pictures, especially of the garden, birds and other wildlife (even the spider). :)

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
Lately I've gone back to playing with polymer clay. It isn't as exciting as some other hobbies, but I'm enjoying it again. I like to work small... recently made a miniature angry bird (youngest grandson is crazy about them), and I also made a tiny fairy home - no molds, just formed by hand, although I cheated on the greenery and used dried deco mosses for that part.

View attachment 70655 View attachment 70656
Wow that looks really good!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Film yourself making those and you'll become a youtube celeb! You don't have to show your face or anything, youngsters actually prefer when they see it from your point of view(and only see your hands).
I'm actually getting together equipment to do that as I go Fishing and Hunting throughout the year.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I love mixing cocktails for parties! My spacial special and I host house parties frequently, invite all our musician friends, mix drinks and potluck food, and sometimes perform a few numbers ourselves.

FB_IMG_1502934473067.jpg FB_IMG_1502934455909.jpg FB_IMG_1502934515461.jpg FB_IMG_1502934493899.jpg FB_IMG_1502934660039.jpg

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Since I live in Florida and remember the last time I went days without power during hurricane season, I put together a fast polymer clay piece that reflects my mood at this moment.... "Don't Blink!" o.0

See ya' after Irma leaves, hopefully.

blink.jpg

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
20170925_122223.jpg

King Salmon are the catch of the day
@Spellbound

Told ya I was heading out for Salmon today.

Better picture, at least for getting some size perspective. And yes my Shower was the only place I could take the pick without them dripping on the floor.

20170925_155850.jpg

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Those are gorgeous! How you going to cook them?
About half I'm giving away to friends and family. Rest will likely be grilled or broiled. I'm thinking of going back to catch a couple to smoke.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Fishers amaze me. I've only gone fishing a couple of times in my life, and my uncoordinated efforts at casting made everyone else run for theirs. o.0

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Fishers amaze me. I've only gone fishing a couple of times in my life, and my uncoordinated efforts at casting made everyone else run for theirs. o.0
Different people do it for different reasons I suppose. I know for me, going out fishing is my way to let go, of everything. When I'm on a river bank or out at a lake there is me, and the line in the water, nothing else matters. I don't even really care if I catch anything or not, it just my way to let everything go for a while.

Sir Osis of Liver

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I strength train and annoy people with weird diet restrictions. Sometimes i watch my toon macroing while im on an exercise bike. Im getting old now, aproaching 50, so im moving away from a weight based exercise regimen to a cardio based one with a heavy emphasis on weights. I also like to collect swords and hack at junk with them. Guns also, though i dont hack with them, with the guns i pew pew pew at targets. Fave gun is a mini-14, they shoot like a dream. Fave sword is a Cold steel 1917 cutlass, great hacker and a good thrusting weapon. This pic is from last year. I was about 280 pounds in it. Im trying to drop to around 220 for health reasons right now. Im gtg old and nobody wants to grow old at that body weight. Cheff is a toon of mine. i took this pic to shut up someone who called me a BS liar while discussing weightlifting in chat.
upload_2017-10-15_9-21-50.jpeg

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I've been really into the retro gaming systems released by Nintendo. The Classic NES and Classic SNES are awesome! There are also ways to add an exponential amount of games beyond what is offered in the base product. Anyone who gets the chance to get their hands on one should do it!

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Benefactor

View attachment 70655 View attachment 70656
You should figure out what to spray them with so you can build fish tank decorations...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
You should figure out what to spray them with so you can build fish tank decorations...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, I wondered about that and did some preliminary research. Unfortunately, it appears that polymer clay and the glazes appropriate for it tend to deteriorate when placed in water. :(

Morgana Grim

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Photography, which took off in a way I had not expected and the facebook page I made blew up. Had to take a break from facebook while I got sucked into photography for "The Wedding Season". Hoping to get back into the "just for me" side of photography after the holidays.
Also, sewing, jewelry making and papercrafting. Maybe one day I'll open an etsy shop. Which is something old gypsy should think about, your statues are awesome!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
More Fish!

This time of year it's all about Steelhead..which if you don't know much about fish, are anadromous (sea run) Rainbow Trout.
This one is in the 23 inch range.
Steelhead.jpg

Morgana Grim

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually, I wondered about that and did some preliminary research. Unfortunately, it appears that polymer clay and the glazes appropriate for it tend to deteriorate when placed in water. :(
Maybe you could make molds out of the polymer clay statues, then pour them with idk cement or something that could then be put in tanks?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
And yet more fish, I did some urban fishing at a park in the neighboring village.

NinjaSampire

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Nexus The salmon river is awesome. Im from the binghamton are but we would go up there all through my teen years. Then I got stationed at drum; miss those days. Steelhead are a goodtime as well!! Careful fly fishing is as addictive as UO. Trying to match a hatch of buggs to outthink nature. If it was easy they would call it catching:)

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
@Nexus The salmon river is awesome. Im from the binghamton are but we would go up there all through my teen years. Then I got stationed at drum; miss those days. Steelhead are a goodtime as well!! Careful fly fishing is as addictive as UO. Trying to match a hatch of buggs to outthink nature. If it was easy they would call it catching:)

I booked a camp site at Selkirk Shores State Park for the end of Sept. back in February. Plan to spend 4 days on the Salmon River swinging flys for Coho and Kings. But yea Steelhead fishing is a blast as well, hoping to get a bid hen during the salmon run so I can cure the eggs for when it's time to fish for Steelies..

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I booked a camp site at Selkirk Shores State Park for the end of Sept. back in February. Plan to spend 4 days on the Salmon River swinging flys for Coho and Kings. But yea Steelhead fishing is a blast as well, hoping to get a bid hen during the salmon run so I can cure the eggs for when it's time to fish for Steelies..
Follow up on this...

I got my big hen and have the eggs curing at the moment. Had a blast fishing during my trip and as it's only 45 minutes away I went back for an extra day since it was raining and I didn't want to take the bow out in the rain for the Deer Season opener.

Didn't take a pic of all the fish, but did catch 5 Kings and a nice fat Steelhead. First steelie on a fly rod for me, and it was a blast.

Here's the one pic I did take of a King in it's spawning colors I caught on my 2nd day out.

King.jpg

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Got myself a new toy to play with this year while fishing. It's still a bit cold out but I had to take it out on one of the larger finger lakes (they rarely freeze over) on the 2nd and try and get a feel for it. I'm going to be fishing in tournaments in part of my spare time from it starting in April through October from it.

IMG_0126.JPG