• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Archery] HLD in PVM

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it worth trying to fit this into my suit at the cost of my swing speed dropping from 1.25 to 1.5? I'm currently running a 210 Stamina suit with 55 SSI but I have no HLD - it's been a while since I've used a ranged character without it, but do I really need it?

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it worth trying to fit this into my suit at the cost of my swing speed dropping from 1.25 to 1.5? I'm currently running a 210 Stamina suit with 55 SSI but I have no HLD - it's been a while since I've used a ranged character without it, but do I really need it?
The difference is 72% chance to hit vs 96% chance to hit assuming the target creature has the same skill as you, and you have 45% HCI. If the targets skill is lower then you will be better at hitting. 72% is two swings and 96% is two swings so in combat time they may seem equal. If the creature is discorded or if its skill is less than yours then you can get to 100%. So the difference would be in 2.5 seconds assured to have a hit vs 3 seconds but you may more often land a hit the first swing or 1.5 seconds vs 2.5 seconds.

-Lorax

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
HLD is very important vs high end monsters
May be you can get HLD on your weapon?
but if you fight in a group you needn't HLD (if someone else has)

The difference between 1.25s and 1.50s is 20%.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thinking about this a little more....You must be using a composite bow and using numbers relative to the 210 stamina. I recommend using the minimum battle stamina level for determining swing delay and damage per second and not the theoretical maximum. If you are 209 stamina then you don't have the maximum delay or dps. Your basically, going to be in the >180 range and sometimes in the 150<stamina<180 range.

So, let's say to land a hit you will most often with HLD active on the target be at 1.5s delay (96% hit success chance) compared with 2.5s. This means you can expect your performance to be maximum 52 dps base damage (with lots of damage assumptions) compared 31 dps with no HLD and two swing delays. This calculation is for the composite bow. Assumptions: 100 DI, STR 150, 120 anatomy & tactics.

The loss of successful hits means you are effectively changing your SSI from 55 to 0 at 180 stamina.

This means go for the HLD.

-Lorax

Last edited:

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Archery is the most powerful fighting skill in terms of dps.
You can reach 58.5 dps with a Composite Bow and only 49.1 with a Bladed Staff. But if you are not able to upkeep 1.25s then you drop to 48.8 dps. You also need to leach enough mana with 50 HML cap on ranged weapons.

You need 221 max stamina, 150 dex without potions, high HSL, 120 chivalry (to cast DF), some FC (to cast DF fast), 55 LMC (studded suit), 50 HML (reforged).
And even if you satisfy all those conditions it will be difficult (or even impossible) to keep 1.25s and chain AI vs some monsters.

P.S. Listed dps numbers don't take in account chance to hit. So you also need HLD on your weapon (may be instead of DI).

Last edited: