• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

*Highseas Ideas and feedback thread*

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
This thread is for CONSTRUCTIVE IDEAS for the new booster to be released in the fall!
This will be a place to post ideas for the Developers and to give feedback !
posts like "spend our money on something else" for example will be removed!

B

BeefSupreme

Yes to ghost ships and ghost pirates!

Sharks with friggin laser beams are optional.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Give people something to fight over (NOT another random champ spawn). PvP has been slowly dying, and currently there is almost no point to it other than boosting one's ego.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Give people something to fight over (NOT another random champ spawn). PvP has been slowly dying, and currently there is almost no point to it other than boosting one's ego.
The developers said that ship combat in Felucca will be available. So there is no more locking your plank and being completely safe. If your ship is damaged they will board and loot you.

There will also be a Legendary Fish only available in Felucca, along with location specific fish. So there will be plenty of opportunities for new PVP as long as they don't change their minds.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahhh, let the ideas flow! C'mon guys... High Seas is in Pre-Alpha. Meaning we need to give the devs some ideas. Once it goes to Beta, you can forget about making additions. Hand in some suggestions while you can!

Suggestions:
Whirlpools. Old Ultimas had them. They would damage your ship.
If you log off and your ship is left at sea, it can take some damage if whirlpools hit them over time. An incentive to dock your ships! This might help avoid having empty ships scattered all over the ocean blocking things up.

I'm not sure if sea creatures would be able to damage the ships. Should sea creatures only deal damage to the players? And let other forces damage ship hulls (like whirlpools, tidal waves, wind storms).

Fog in the ocean would be nice. If headed in the fog, things get dark and you need to light up your ship lamps for some light. I'm not sure they can pull this off though. Might be too complicated for a booster.

Lighthouse housing tiles would be nice. Some simple items to help people create a lighthouse themed home. With a working light. Might be out of the "booster" scope though.

Cooking skill: Create lobster bisque, conch chowder, conch fritters (we do have conch in game). Enhance the wondrous/prized fish and such so they last longer than the 5 seconds they do now. They should work like the Rose of Trinsic.

Clam bake. If you're a cook and have camping skill, you can create a clam bake (on sandy areas) where you have a chance to spawn a gypsy camp (or a brigand camp for us virtuous [depending on your karma]). Then we have a little fight for the booty!

Ocean ambiance: Right now, the EC doesn't show any waves at all. The water needs to be more realistic. A tidal wave would be cool too, where it damages your ship, or interrupts your fishing (need some inconvenience to spice things up and screw around with the fishing scripters, har, har!). We need wildlife in the ocean to make it look alive. Add some wind (like the old Ultimas), where it would speed up or hamper your ocean movement.

Will we or should we have healer npc's on rowboats floating about? Something to think about.

Some ideas might be too tough, but at least I'm putting them out there.

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few forts out in the water designed somewhat like water world movie..with mobs...

A pirates City like in Pirates of the Carabian last one of course all them shipd pilled up to make a city was sweet looking..

Pirate flag your tailor can make..
Water vortex to get you to other lands be nice....or a strange mist that has special mobs to attack you...

Catapult for trowing fire pots at a ship...
Giant crossbow to pull other ships in.
Being able to cast a gate spell that transport the entire ship to another facet may work also..

Trowling ship for large fishing partys...or for deap sea fishing...

A dry dock to repair ship would be nice...or the option to see a ship being built ..by your crafter

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Some of my suggestions from the Town Hall (mostly given to devs between events and after the main event):

1. Get the Bowcrafter/Fletcher involved in ship weaponry (currently about the only crafter not with some ship role), by allowing Ballista as weapon mounts. Ballista are also known by some as "Big Freaking Crossbows" and not only were these ship weapons for the better part of two thousand years, they were actually the ANCESTORS of crossbows, as it took a thousand years for crafting to get sophisticated enough to reduce a Ballista down to the size where it could be held by a man (the first, by default "heavy", crossbows).

2. Consider making 6-property items have their properties alterable up or down (but still within the limit). Note that there was a comment outside the room that something about the new formula for T-chest loot is resulting in a lower than expected intensity, and that they are trying to track it down and fix it.

3. Another suggestion was to make all items in T-map chests and SOS default to being exceptional, but without exceptional bonuses. This would make the junk loot of these more desirable, as items from these chests would be imbuable to 500 intensity (without the annoying 35-40% DI that exceptional weapons normally have). In other words, a minor change that would boost both imbuing and the pursuit of these special loot forms.

4. Make a wide range of items be in the ship holds, to rarely include the non-specific ML/Peerless resources, and the ML mining gems that are also used in Imbuing. There was already some leaning in that direction, in that it will typically be bulk resources aboard ships raided at sea. The most likely spot for these items would be Scalis and the floating island encounters, though (effectively peerless/boss fights already).

5. Have Grimm redo the classic boat art to make the classic boats more distinctive from each other.

6. Chain ammo for the cannon, that reduce movement more than normal ammo, while not damaging the ship as much.

7. Other special ammo types from historical cannon - some were anti-sail, anti-crew, or a combination, that would rarely damage the ship hull more than scratches (but could take out a sail or mast).

8. If spells and potions are capable of ship damage, remember that ships are made of REALLY thick wood, and that these things would mostly damage crew and sails (slowing the ship temporarily), not do appreciable hull damage. The same would hold true for pets (the only summons that should do hull damage should be water elementals).

9. Please consider finally making the water in Ilshenar usable for sailing. Even if it's small, some of us would like to have access to Lenmir on our shards (since others have event-based means of getting there). Size shouldn't be an issue - after all, I could put my dad's boat into a 300 acre lake as easily as I could the Ohio River, Lake Cumberland or Lake Erie, with the only limits being speed limits.

10. As others have suggested: Make the Serpent Pillars the equivalent of Moongates for Boats, allowing travel between facets.

11. More of the old ultima sea lore. Especially the Whirlpools (which could provide a means in a later booster to access other lands that would naturally be without housing or easy access). Ambrosia (or at least the parts of it that haven't already surfaced in T2A and/or Ilshenar) is calling...

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wind / swift current / strong current, you need to drop anchor to stay on same place, otherwise your ship continue to move at different speeds.

Whirlpools and very deep water, where you can't drop anchor.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Some of my suggestions from the Town Hall (mostly given to devs between events and after the main event):

1. Get the Bowcrafter/Fletcher involved in ship weaponry (currently about the only crafter not with some ship role), by allowing Ballista as weapon mounts. Ballista are also known by some as "Big Freaking Crossbows" and not only were these ship weapons for the better part of two thousand years, they were actually the ANCESTORS of crossbows, as it took a thousand years for crafting to get sophisticated enough to reduce a Ballista down to the size where it could be held by a man (the first, by default "heavy", crossbows).

3. Another suggestion was to make all items in T-map chests and SOS default to being exceptional, but without exceptional bonuses. This would make the junk loot of these more desirable, as items from these chests would be imbuable to 500 intensity (without the annoying 35-40% DI that exceptional weapons normally have). In other words, a minor change that would boost both imbuing and the pursuit of these special loot forms.

4. Make a wide range of items be in the ship holds, to rarely include the non-specific ML/Peerless resources, and the ML mining gems that are also used in Imbuing. There was already some leaning in that direction, in that it will typically be bulk resources aboard ships raided at sea. The most likely spot for these items would be Scalis and the floating island encounters, though (effectively peerless/boss fights already).

7. Other special ammo types from historical cannon - some were anti-sail, anti-crew, or a combination, that would rarely damage the ship hull more than scratches (but could take out a sail or mast).

10. As others have suggested: Make the Serpent Pillars the equivalent of Moongates for Boats, allowing travel between facets..
I really like these Ideas

Bryelle Vaughn

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The travel between Facets would be good! Especially since a lot of us end up fighting via ship in both. Currently to continue the fight you have to dry dock and moongate hop. If they had gates within the water, it would make it a lot easier.

Also... Take those same water gates and use the actual water titles as places to come out at.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Week one we get the rarest, newest stuff and sell it to those that dont have the expansion.
I think there is a lot of room for making it so you can't get everything immediately. For one thing, some stuff is only available to legendary Fishermen or at least higher than 100 skill. Unless they ease fishing skill gain, it will take a long time to work up your skills.

They already mentioned they are making some fish spawn in certain areas. UO already has its own built in calendar (UO Stratics - Time). They could set it up so fish are only available certain months of the year, or are at least more plentiful during that time period. It would also be important not to explain any of this, let players figure it out on their own. If after a while some stuff is elusive, drop subtle hints. But I think after 6 months people will have it all down in spreadsheets. It would also enhance community by letting people share where is the best time to catch what fish.

If they just toss in all the fish like a monster spawn, then yeah everyone is going to have them within a week.

BBWolf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let's see... Well the idea i like to see is...all around Trinsic or Buc's Den you see these NPC's walking around. So i was thinking if there was so way you can "Hire" a crew or a few sailors for those players on smaller servers to help load the cannon or something. This way if players only have one player on ship and there's hardly anyone online they have a hired crew to help. (If this idea is too "overpowering" maybe make it so they load the cannons and clean the cannons, but only the captain of the ship or players partied can shoot the cannon and NOT the NPC sailors onboard the ship. Make one of those sailors to stay at the crow's nest (if there is one) and yells out "LAND HOE!" or "PIRATE SHIP SIGHTED" or something. hehe. But i dunno this is thinking aloud. What do you all think?

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dunno about hiring NPC's for the cannons. Maybe be able to do that for RP reasons or maybe for aesthetics. A solo captain will still be clicking all over the place and that's how it should be. Otherwise get others onboard. I think they really should focus on encouraging getting buddies to join in. That being said, a solo'er should still be accommodated.

Having the NPC's barking out remarks would be awesome and would add to the immersion.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I'd like to name my boat and the rowboat. Or make that a Vet reward feature.

Would be cool to be able to be known as a swashbuckler or pirate in my overhead name. Let that be a title that I can choose for myself if I finish a certain # of high seas quests. I don't care if I have to bring in 200 pirates alive, a title of my virtuous deeds would be nice.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uuuhhh ... yes pls ... boats in Illshenar pls. Would make net-throwing more funny with the chance of having paragons popping out. (Thought not for leviathans.)
With location specific fishes ... there is a huge sea in Malas aswell.

S

Stupid Miner

Uuuhhh ... yes pls ... boats in Illshenar pls. Would make net-throwing more funny with the chance of having paragons popping out. (Thought not for leviathans.)
With location specific fishes ... there is a huge sea in Malas aswell.
Ooo, on the contrary Paragon Leviathans sound awesome!

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some of the old dungeons have water in them. Shame has rivers and lakes down there. I'd like to drop a skiff in there and row around. It's quite dangerous in some spots, but if there was some special reason to go down there and fish up some special fish in certain areas, it might re-populate some of these empty dungeons. Perhaps an increased chance to get the "rope" ingredient for the hitching posts might be an incentive. I never seem to be able to get these ropes, so I give up.

Wind Dungeon has a few lakes down there. Please make an incentive to go to Wind again. Only mages can enter Wind, so it's a unique place that deserves something unique.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about new fish or lobsters for our aquariums with the Booster? :)

O

Old Man of UO

Weather effects, please!

Similar to the whirlpool idea- hurricanes, rough seas, tides, even lightning to strike the boats, and such that affect the boat and travel.

I'm not up to date on everything that was said at the Town Hall, but will boats get durability and need repairs? Great use for Carpenters and Tailors.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I'm not up to date on everything that was said at the Town Hall, but will boats get durability and need repairs? Great use for Carpenters and Tailors.
Yes alchemists and tinkers will also be needed for repairs/cannon use etc

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
here is A brief list of some of the features

Trammel
  • NPC Merchant Vessels
  • Sea Markets and Trading
  • Fishing and Crafting
  • Boss Battles

Felucca
  • NPC Merchant Vessels
  • Sea Markets and Trading
  • Fishing and Crafting
  • Boss Battles
  • Ship to Ship Combat and Pirating

3 New Boat Types
  • Tokuno (Faster, 4 Cannon Stations)
  • Gargoyle (6 Cannon Stations)
  • Orcish (6 Cannon Stations)
  • Row Boat
  • Limitation of 1 Row Boat & 1 Larger Boat per Character

Smooth Boat Movement
  • Boats move smoothly from tile to tile
  • Boats can now move at 3 different speeds

Boat Mouse Control
  • Control boats using the mouse

Boat Paints
  • Different Hues
  • No Glacials!

Miscellaneous
  • Home and bank storage increase (20%)
  • New method to boarding ships

Ship Weapons
  • Multi-step firing system
  • 2 Ammo types (Cannon balls & Grapeshot)
  • Cannon and ammo crafting (Blacksmith Addon)

Ship Damage
  • Level 3 damage state, Ship can be boarded

Pirate / Merchant Ships
  • NPC Waypoints
  • Unique Crews
  • Attackable
  • Defend Themselves

Ship Repair and Crafting
  • Carpentry or Tailoring skill receive bonus to ship repair ability

Boss Encounters
  • Scalis
  • Island Encounter (Constantly Moving Island)

Sea Market
  • Fish Monger
  • Dockmaster
  • Pirate bounty board
  • New merchant

Fishing Updates
  • Fishing Cap Raised to 120!
  • 36 new fishing including lobsters
  • 16 new buffs (10 Min Duration, From Fish Pies craftable from enhanced fish)
  • 2 new fish wall mounts (One from Trammel, One from Felucca)
  • New cooking recipes
  • Location specific fishing

C

Catty

I have some new Idea's for DEV's for the new booster.

1. RUNIC System for Fishing!!! Just like Fletching per Quest.

There will be some quest like, Bring a white pearlor or a big fish or 10 delicate scalis, 50 sea serpent scales, a special fishing net or kill 10 sea serpents, 5 leviatans, 1 kracken.

As a reward u have a 10% chanse to get a Runic Pole.

If u use runic pole u can get some nice stuff for your ship, just like rare paint for ur ship or cannon powder ( that allows u to increase a cannons durability ) , ship powder ( allows to increase u a ship durability), special cannon ammo ( that doing 20% more damage than normal). Cannon paint, special cannon paint. And as True rares Pirate flags with i some different pics of skulls with bone, skull with swords, skull with a tricorne hat etc. )

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about being able to mine for coal..
Or even sulfur or use the reg as they have now..

Saltpeter better be at more then one alchemyst....or i can see alot of pancakes on the boards soon as it goes live....

Can you not get the EC map system to work in CC....EC just gives me a headacke..but it is nice...

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The new ships should cost a lot of gold, like 1mil or more. If you're in a guild or a group, everyone can split the cost if it's a problem.

I feel ships should not have gigantic cargo holds. There should be ways to expand the hold by paying to upgrade it (maybe for another 1 mil gp). Or something like how housing has space limits.

How does everyone feel about seeing people on DAY ONE sailing around with their new ships? I for one, think there should be some quests to unlock the boat access. Want a Gargoyle ship? Do a gargoyle quest. Want an Orc ship? Do an orc quest.

We need to be able to have "access rights" menu to the ship. Who can pilot, who can come on board, who we can eject off.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
As you know I dont agree about the cost being raised but I do think a quest to get access would be cool but it should be a quest that does not require a bunch of people to do !

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's the long term plan for this booster expansion? Are we to pay $15 for a static booster pack and then just let it stay as is forever? Will it be expanded upon along the way? Or will it stay static like the Stygian Abyss?

I think that the devs need to think about the future.
If you buy the HS booster, you get (insert list) BUT.... if you also have the SA expansion... you get this new feature while down there in the abyss:

• Special abyss fish from newly discovered lake in the abyss. No SA? You don't get that Stygian Fish.
  • This might get people mad, but I feel that if you don't have SA, you should not be able to buy a gargoyle ship. You would need SA to buy one. That's my opinion. I would've had an Elvish ship since Mondain's Legacy is free for all already. Why are the elves neglected all of a sudden?
  • Newly discovered Pirate Brigand area in the abyss. Only HS subscribers can mine, or treasure hunt there. Non-HS players will just see the area, but not dig.
  • You can Imbue your fishing pole (I'm assuming you can't Imbue if you don't have SA). So you have your imbuing and you have your pole. It's cross marketing. Cross usage.
  • New Ales to drink. Each region should have a new drink. When you drink, you blurb out different stuff. Instead of *hic*. Garg Ale from Ter Mur makes you bark silly Pirate words but in gargish. Tokuno Ale makes you say Pirate stuff in Japanese. Elvish Ale makes you bark out something a drunk elven sailor would say, but in elvish. Pirate Ale from the new floating merchant docks make you bark out Pirate mumbo-jumbo. That way later on when you make an Orc Booster, If and If you have HS, you get an Orcish Brew from the floating docks. If and if you have SA, you get a special Gargish Brew with unique Orcish sayings in gargish. This way you build upon old expansions onto the new one.
  • Be able to sail in Ter Mur. I mean why make us pay for SA and then abandon it? I want to hear adventures about Gargoyle guilds that were sailing in Ter Mur and found this or were attacked by that.
  • There's a fishing Village in Ter Mur to the north. Now's the time to expand upon this abandoned fishing village. It just looks like someone didn't finish this area! The NPC should give HS people some quests that only HS people can take.
  • Seasonal Events. Why let HS feel abandoned? Every season, spice things up with something different to do. Seasonal fish, seasonal cooking ingredients, seasonal pirate treasure hunts. Same goes for SA... seasonal event that only happens in SA.
  • Speaking of Orc Expansion (if they make one), then a new ship should be available that is maybe called Goblin Ship (or something related to Orc). But, the HS subscribers can't get it, you need Orc Expansion to get. Gremlin ship available only if you have SA.
  • Devs, don't be afraid to completely re-vamp an unused area. WoW is doing it, Lotro re-vamped areas. With the next expansion... start preparing as to what you want to eliminate/change. The lost lands comes to mind. It's in need of a huge change.

The point is it might entice people to get SA and HS both expansions. A person that has JUST HS and no SA, would get less Pirate stuffs, than the person that has SA and HS together.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to feel nickle and dimed by EA/Mythic. I feel some cross thinking would make things flow a little more logically. SA threw in everything and the kitchen sink to the point that many many that I know are totally confused and overwhelmed with the SA content. I think boosters make MUCH more sense. But the booster should expand upon some of the older, past boosters and reward ones that did buy previous boosters. The devs have to keep in mind.. if you we this booster today and we add in a booster in 6 months, what impact will it have? It's like a book... today's story has to have room for tomorrow's story. Tomorrow's story has to jive with yesterday's.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Being that the booster will be out, I guess the door is closed to changes. More likely, it's at the polishing stage.
It's good to see that the orc ship requires a quest!

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Putting this here because it garnered zero response in UHall.

Would it be possible to add crafting stone to the loot on merchant ships? Seems all other types of resources spawn in the holds except this one.

Thank you.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can it be made possible that the Pirate Rug veteran reward (small version) can be used on the britannian ship please? :)