Hey Devs how about mage weapons ...

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
G

gen2000

What saddens me is somewhere there is a Dev that is actually listening to this crap.
If they are, they have no business working on uo because they don't have any understanding of actual game play and how this would affect the game.

Lord Bishop

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 15, 2008
What saddens me is somewhere there is a Dev that is actually listening to this crap.
If they are, they have no business working on uo because they don't have any understanding of actual game play and how this would affect the game.
Geez man get over the drama. This team didn't give us the mage wepon property. They are trying to fix other teams messes and build a balanced game. Perhaps from the pvp aspect you hate the possiblity of the change, but pvp does not live and die with mage weapon property. Good Heavens the arguement is valid you get 240 pts with this property when you get 120 magery. Magery already is the most diverse skill in the game attack spells, debuff/buff spells, healing, and summons for heavens sake magery doesn't need 120 more pts. If you have magery as your base template and can't figure haw to kill someone with 5 more skills I feel bad for ya

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
SLC
How do you get it's a 0 skill investment? I certainly invested my 120 points of magery.
You have 120 invested in magery, but the benefits of that alone are well documented. However, you invested 0 skill points into a weapon skill, but you were able to reduce your chance of being hit by 50%.

You want to pancake and moan about items replacing a skill, take a look at trapped crates completely replacing resist.
If you followed any of my posts, you'd know I'm all for removing trapped boxes from PvP.

G

gen2000

Geez man get over the drama. This team didn't give us the mage wepon property. They are trying to fix other teams messes and build a balanced game. Perhaps from the pvp aspect you hate the possiblity of the change, but pvp does not live and die with mage weapon property. Good Heavens the arguement is valid you get 240 pts with this property when you get 120 magery. Magery already is the most diverse skill in the game attack spells, debuff/buff spells, healing, and summons for heavens sake magery doesn't need 120 more pts. If you have magery as your base template and can't figure haw to kill someone with 5 more skills I feel bad for ya
You said you don't pvp.. so how the hell can you know how easy or hard it is to kill somebody? How about this.. If you can kill my dexxor with a necro/mage scribe/mage with mage weapon, I will give you my accounts.. lol!

kinney42

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
You said you don't pvp.. so how the hell can you know how easy or hard it is to kill somebody? How about this.. If you can kill my dexxor with a necro/mage scribe/mage with mage weapon, I will give you my accounts.. lol!
FOR GODS SAKE!
This issue is not about who can kill who or which template is best.
This is simple. Please try to follow along.
The Mage weapon property is bunk. It gives the defensive benefit of 120 skill points in a weapon skill for ZERO ACTUAL SKILL POINTS INVESTED.
Nothing else in the game give such an unbalanced and broken benefit with NO DRAWBACKS.

That is the whole point of this thread. Please leave worthless posts, like the one above, out of the conversation.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
THE GREAT STATE OF WISCONSIN
FOR GODS SAKE!
The Mage weapon property is bunk. It gives the defensive benefit of 120 skill points in a weapon skill for ZERO ACTUAL SKILL POINTS INVESTED.
Nothing else in the game give such an unbalanced and broken benefit with NO DRAWBACKS.

That is the whole point of this thread. Please leave worthless posts, like the one above, out of the conversation.
No Drawbacks? How about -20 or more magery on the weapon? Or if its a -0 weapon, how about the fact that you can't drink potions or carry a shield? There are plenty of drawbacks.

I swear, no matter what gets fixed you cry baby uhallers always complain about things you know nothing about.

ALl of your pancakes and moaning does is take the Dev's eyes off of the real issue - speedhacking.

G

gen2000

FOR GODS SAKE!

Actually your wrong.. If they remove mage weapons, the necro/mage class that pvp will be useless.. The way things are now they are fairly balanced.. A necro/mage with a mage weapon have 0 parry, only the weapon for defense.. Mages can't cast on the run, so they have to stop to do damage or heal.. If you stop to cast and the dexxor/archer hits you, it will fizzle your spell.. you wasted your attempt at a spell, and took damage.. have to run away and try again.. A dexxor will swing his weapon no matter what you hit them with, An archer can't have parry, but you can't stop them from shooting an arrow at you.

My mage has 63 dci and with my mage weapon and my jewlery I have 118 magery. I still get hit 65% of the time "before I get hit with hit lower defense". After it goes off I get hit 85% of the time. I have to cast 4 or 5 explosions before I can actually get the spell off without being fizzles, and having to heal in between attempts takes that much longer.. So the mage weapon plays a huge parts in pvp for the necro/mage class.

When I play my dexxor, 80% of all mages I fight die in under a min. I start off with bleed and just conc blow them over and over... They just run for their life trying to heal but it's no good.. You have to really know what your doing to even survive on a necro/mage with a mage weapon against any good bush/ep dexxor... So you saying it's unfair is total bs...

And my stealth archer can take out most mages too, just pop out with the dismount, it takes them to half life.. do ai's with a 40ssi balanced composite while throwing dp stars at them...

And nobody has still explained to me how a dexxor with 720 skill cap can solo a peerless but a 840(so you say..)skill cap mage with a mage weapon can't... but yet the mage needs to be nerfed.. LMFAO!

The fact is that pure necro/mages and scribe/mages are worthless at soloing much of anything in pvp with any degree of efficiency with a mage weapon, how the hell you think they will do without them? But yet people are crying to nerf them..

Im not too worried, I don't think the devs that are over the balance of pvp and factions, ect. will ever do something that stupid.. But it is fun to argue with all you trammies that don't have a clue how this game works, you just keep pointing and clicking...

U

UOKaiser

But it is fun to argue with all you trammies that don't have a clue how this game works, you just keep pointing and clicking...
Actually youre fighting with fellucians. Remmember its the pvp crowd that usually wants to nerf something in this game cause they can't beat it. Trammies dont really care if someone has a mage weapon or not it doesnt effect them.

G

gen2000

Actually youre fighting with fellucians. Remmember its the pvp crowd that usually wants to nerf something in this game cause they can't beat it. Trammies dont really care if someone has a mage weapon or not it doesnt effect them.
The OP already said he knew nothing about pvp.. he just notice one day that mage weapons gave you a weapon skill and figured he didn't really know anything about it so he would complain cause he had nothing better to do..

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
SLC
My mage has 63 dci and with my mage weapon and my jewlery I have 118 magery. I still get hit 65% of the time "before I get hit with hit lower defense". After it goes off I get hit 85% of the time.
Making up numbers are we?

If your opponent has 120 weapon skill and 45% HCI he will still only hit you 50% of the time at 118 magery and 63 DCI.

BTW the cap for DCI is 45%, when HLD hits you it reduces your DCI by 25%. So at 63% DCI under the effects of HLD you're essentially at 38% DCI.

So even if you are fighting someone with 120 weapon skill, 45 HCI and your under the effects of HLD, you're still only going to get hit 53% of the time.

Far from the 65% and 85% numbers you apparently pulled out of your rear.

G

gen2000

If your opponent has 120 weapon skill and 45% HCI he will still only hit you 50% of the time at 118 magery and 63 DCI.

BTW the cap for DCI is 45%, when HLD hits you it reduces your DCI by 25%. So at 63% DCI under the effects of HLD you're essentially at 38% DCI.

So even if you are fighting someone with 120 weapon skill, 45 HCI and your under the effects of HLD, you're still only going to get hit 53% of the time.

I take it you can't play a mage..

yea those numbers were just off the top of my head.. I get hit alot...

maybe the devs should make it so I can run parry instead... what ya think?

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
SLC
Thank you for admitting I was right and that you have no idea what you're talking about.

For the record most of my PvP chars are in fact mages, non of which use a -mage weapon.

G

gen2000

Thank you for admitting I was right and that you have no idea what you're talking about.

For the record most of my PvP chars are in fact mages, non of which use a -mage weapon.
Damn.. I didn't go look up the formula and get the exact percentage.. next time Im getting beat down by some bush/ep dexxor I will try and let him know that he needs to stop and let me get a few spells off cause you said he couldn't hit me so often...

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
SLC
Typical little kid response..... Someone corrects your BS and since you know you've been beaten you then proceed with the pathetic insults.

2 things, then I'm done arguing with an immature liar, such as yourself.

1. I could really care less about -mage weapons. They're number 4,375 on the list of things I would like the Devs to look into. With speedhacking piles of crap being #1.

2. Not that it matters, but the first picture in my sig is of a mage. Back before the evasion nerf my mage had bushido and rode a hiryu.

Dragkiris

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 14, 2008

Ok 53% of the time is a lot when the dexxer swings a weapon for 30 dmg a shot at the speed you can mini heal for 12 dmg.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 3, 2004
Guess that's why you don't have any kill shots for you sig with your mages huh?...
Exactly.

Anyways, anyone who claim that they pvp regularly and couldnt see how the offensive and defensive power of an archer/dexer surpass mages thesedays probably lied about the pvp part.

Yes we all know the current state of UO, archers/dexers take little player skill and PvP sorely on RNG can kill the most experienced mages in 2 to 3 lucky shots, but I wont use this fact as an argument.

Yes mage weapon do grant a huge amount of skill points. But in order to fix mage weapons there are too many other things that need to be taken care of. For example balance mod. Yes mage weapons gives free skill points but balanced gives an IMPOSSIBLE to achieve advantage. You can give anyone 1200 free skill points but they still cannot use potions with their 2handed weapons in hand.

I think mage weapon issue should be addressed just like balanced mod achieving the impossible.

Also, I think the way DEV designed mage weapons was thinking that "making all -0 mage weapons 2handed so they cant chug" otherwise you have to suffer the -20to29 magery disadvantage. However a ML artifact is introduced so people got around it.

G

gen2000

Typical little kid response....

2. Not that it matters, but the first picture in my sig is of a mage. Back before the evasion nerf my mage had bushido and rode a hiryu.
Im more than likely older than u... I didn't feel that to be an insult, only stating that you obviously can't pvp on a necro/mage that uses a mage weapon or you would know wtf im talking about.

2. how can you compare a necro/mage with a mage weapon to a bush/mage? wow dude.. and you say I don't know what im talking about....

U

UOKaiser

The OP already said he knew nothing about pvp.. he just notice one day that mage weapons gave you a weapon skill and figured he didn't really know anything about it so he would complain cause he had nothing better to do..
In that case hes one of the nerf all crowd. nerf tamer,nerf mages,nerf crafters,nerf sampires,nerf archers,nerf dexters,nerf monsters,nerf loot,nerf gold,nerf jewelry,nerf mage weapons,nerf fishermen,nerf houses,nerf stats,nerf skills,nerf dev, nerf gm, nerf nerf = lets all leave uo to play WOW. Acutually the gaining popular word is balance. So when someone says balance they mean nerf. Balance=Nerf=Balance=Nerf. I believe these players dont belong in fellucia,trammel,or siege they belong in a seperate shard where everyone runs naked with stick figures whith no stats skills and just could talk about nerfing all day though they use it uohall for that now.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
a seperate shard where everyone runs naked with stick figures
Hey now, have you ever played as a Stick Figure?

One April Fools Day, the Everquest Team put a client patch in to display all characters as Stick Men. It was a blast that day.

Lord Bishop

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 15, 2008
Actually your wrong.. If they remove mage weapons, the necro/mage class that pvp will be useless.. The way things are now they are fairly balanced.. A necro/mage with a mage weapon have 0 parry, only the weapon for defense.. Mages can't cast on the run, so they have to stop to do damage or heal.. If you stop to cast and the dexxor/archer hits you, it will fizzle your spell.. you wasted your attempt at a spell, and took damage.. have to run away and try again.. A dexxor will swing his weapon no matter what you hit them with, An archer can't have parry, but you can't stop them from shooting an arrow at you.

My mage has 63 dci and with my mage weapon and my jewlery I have 118 magery. I still get hit 65% of the time "before I get hit with hit lower defense". After it goes off I get hit 85% of the time. I have to cast 4 or 5 explosions before I can actually get the spell off without being fizzles, and having to heal in between attempts takes that much longer.. So the mage weapon plays a huge parts in pvp for the necro/mage class.

When I play my dexxor, 80% of all mages I fight die in under a min. I start off with bleed and just conc blow them over and over... They just run for their life trying to heal but it's no good.. You have to really know what your doing to even survive on a necro/mage with a mage weapon against any good bush/ep dexxor... So you saying it's unfair is total bs...

And my stealth archer can take out most mages too, just pop out with the dismount, it takes them to half life.. do ai's with a 40ssi balanced composite while throwing dp stars at them...

And nobody has still explained to me how a dexxor with 720 skill cap can solo a peerless but a 840(so you say..)skill cap mage with a mage weapon can't... but yet the mage needs to be nerfed.. LMFAO!

The fact is that pure necro/mages and scribe/mages are worthless at soloing much of anything in pvp with any degree of efficiency with a mage weapon, how the hell you think they will do without them? But yet people are crying to nerf them..

Im not too worried, I don't think the devs that are over the balance of pvp and factions, ect. will ever do something that stupid.. But it is fun to argue with all you trammies that don't have a clue how this game works, you just keep pointing and clicking...
Geez man stop with the sermons on your pvp prowess its not relevant to the topic or mage weapons being unbalanced and skirting the 720 skill cap. Sounds like from your rantings of near godhood in pvp you should just stick to your killor roxxor dexxor magnificent kill all char anyway. You make me laugh at least.

Lord Bishop

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 15, 2008
Actually I'm a uo player and I care about balance in property skills. Why do pvpers make everything about themselves?

Lord Bishop

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 15, 2008
You are ranting fella I said I don't pvp not that I didn't read about pvpers complaining everyday on uhall. Just because you don't like my premise don't personalise it as a pvp change. Perhaps you have nothing better to do like actually go pvp rather then posting. I have an excuse I can't work cause I have a serious illness. I taught math I understand numbers your references to you killer suits with dci vs hci are laughable. But I'll take your stuff if you want to give me your accounts.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
THE GREAT STATE OF WISCONSIN
You are ranting fella I said I don't pvp not that I didn't read about pvpers complaining everyday on uhall. Just because you don't like my premise don't personalise it as a pvp change. Perhaps you have nothing better to do like actually go pvp rather then posting. I have an excuse I can't work cause I have a serious illness. I taught math I understand numbers your references to you killer suits with dci vs hci are laughable. But I'll take your stuff if you want to give me your accounts.
Seriously STFU about this. You keep posting the same crap over and over, and we keep telling you how wrong you are. Agree to disagree and let your crappy thread die.

Lord Bishop

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 15, 2008
In that case hes one of the nerf all crowd. nerf tamer,nerf mages,nerf crafters,nerf sampires,nerf archers,nerf dexters,nerf monsters,nerf loot,nerf gold,nerf jewelry,nerf mage weapons,nerf fishermen,nerf houses,nerf stats,nerf skills,nerf dev, nerf gm, nerf nerf = lets all leave uo to play WOW. Acutually the gaining popular word is balance. So when someone says balance they mean nerf. Balance=Nerf=Balance=Nerf. I believe these players dont belong in fellucia,trammel,or siege they belong in a seperate shard where everyone runs naked with stick figures whith no stats skills and just could talk about nerfing all day though they use it uohall for that now.
You are clueless. I have chars that represent every class. I asked for balance in the mage weapon property skill period. I previous stated I thought the irony of the dev handing out greater drags and immediately taking vamp form away without real skill. See Irony. I am for a hard look by the dev of the property mage wep because of its 120 extra skill pts. I would seem logical with the balance issues they are addressing this prop would be ripe for a hard look. If they don't change my world will not be ruined. I use the property like any intelligent person would to its full value. It simply seems out of line with what the team is trying to do. I have emailed Jeremy to atleast post a thought such as "we have no intention of changing mage wep", or "this is a prop will will look at, no promises" or lastly the property would be difficult to change. But no response that truly is the most disturbing reality about my question. No reply

G

gen2000

Geez man stop with the sermons on your pvp prowess its not relevant to the topic or mage weapons being unbalanced and skirting the 720 skill cap. Sounds like from your rantings of near godhood in pvp you should just stick to your killor roxxor dexxor magnificent kill all char anyway. You make me laugh at least.
I wrote a sermon to explain to you how removing mage weapons WILL effect pvp, cause obviously you don't seem to understand.. Yes I have what you would consider a god-mode dexxor, pretty much unkillable 1v1, but what's the fun in playing a dexxor? It takes no skill.. I enjoy playing my mage because it actually takes some thought and is alot more of a challenge...

-You are ranting fella I said I don't pvp not that I didn't read about pvpers complaining everyday on uhall.
-Just because you don't like my premise don't personalise it as a pvp change.
-Perhaps you have nothing better to do like actually go pvp rather then posting.
-I taught math I understand numbers your references to you killer suits with dci vs hci are laughable.
-But I'll take your stuff if you want to give me your accounts.
-Reading about pvp and being someone who pvps is not even in the same ball park..
-I don't have to personalize your topic to make it about pvp.. mage weapons are pvp..lmfao
-Im at work so I can't pvp... sorry about your illness..
-I already stated I never looked at formulas, guess im an idiot! 2+2=jello? lmfao!
-What shard you play on?

LMFAO!! that's too funny!

Lord Bishop

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 15, 2008
I wrote a sermon to explain to you how removing mage weapons WILL effect pvp, cause obviously you don't seem to understand.. Yes I have what you would consider a god-mode dexxor, pretty much unkillable 1v1, but what's the fun in playing a dexxor? It takes no skill.. I enjoy playing my mage because it actually takes some thought and is alot more of a challenge...

-Reading about pvp and being someone who pvps is not even in the same ball park..
-I don't have to personalize your topic to make it about pvp.. mage weapons are pvp..lmfao
-Im at work so I can't pvp... sorry about your illness..
-I already stated I never looked at formulas, guess im an idiot! 2+2=jello? lmfao!
-What shard you play on?

LMFAO!! that's too funny!
I play on catskills. Pvpers are the most self righteous group in uo, I can't help it if with all your skills you can't cope with a 720 skill cap. Its truly sad to me that you are so skilled and yet not so skilled. PvP is nothing more than practice if someone decides to pvp all the power to them. Just don't preach about how you are better then non pvpers simply because we see no value in pvp. If you feel the need to live for proving your self worth via pvp have at it. The thread is about a skill cap balance issue.

Lord Bishop

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 15, 2008
Seriously STFU about this. You keep posting the same crap over and over, and we keep telling you how wrong you are. Agree to disagree and let your crappy thread die.
Back at ya you have said nothing new why I simply keep telling you the same info. Perhaps you should take your on advice and STFU anything else childish to say brother pvp roxxor

G

gen2000

I play on catskills. Pvpers are the most self righteous group in uo, I can't help it if with all your skills you can't cope with a 720 skill cap. Its truly sad to me that you are so skilled and yet not so skilled. PvP is nothing more than practice if someone decides to pvp all the power to them. Just don't preach about how you are better then non pvpers simply because we see no value in pvp. If you feel the need to live for proving your self worth via pvp have at it. The thread is about a skill cap balance issue.
I never said pvpers were better than non-pvpers. I have only ever stated the reasons why mage weapons are not unbalanced and all you see is black and white.. You see how it looks on paper but you have no idea how it actually works in a game play situation.. I tried to explain it to you but you can't seem to understand it for some reason.. Im starting to think your female because arguing with you is like arguing with my wife.. she decides what she feels is right, and even if you show her she is wrong she still wants it her way... lol!!

Im on cats too, so you if you ever want me to show ya what I mean, put ya together a necro/mage or a scribe/mage that uses a mage weapon and i'll be glad to show you that your 840 skill points are not unbalanced at all...

D

Dutchhans

Please continue ranting without lame attempts at insulting each other ok?

drawn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 20, 2008
Get a free 120 skill points and 21 DCI to boot! Yea, dexxors are SOOOO overpowered :(

http://i35.***********/52mo1i.jpg

still dont understand at how people can call this "balanced"

Lord Bishop

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 15, 2008
I never said pvpers were better than non-pvpers. I have only ever stated the reasons why mage weapons are not unbalanced and all you see is black and white.. You see how it looks on paper but you have no idea how it actually works in a game play situation.. I tried to explain it to you but you can't seem to understand it for some reason.. Im starting to think your female because arguing with you is like arguing with my wife.. she decides what she feels is right, and even if you show her she is wrong she still wants it her way... lol!!

Im on cats too, so you if you ever want me to show ya what I mean, put ya together a necro/mage or a scribe/mage that uses a mage weapon and i'll be glad to show you that your 840 skill points are not unbalanced at all...

I'm gonna guess you don't have children cause you sound like my teenage students. Perhaps just out of college and not all groen up yet? You don't seem to undertand simple math. Also don't seem to realise the impact the property has on pvm but why should you, black and white is the only colors you see. Colorblind?

Lord Bishop

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 15, 2008
Your judging us by calling or insults lame. They are well thought out and even funny. Please don't be so judgemental we are on the rant site anyhow :scholar: Anyhow gen2000 it was fun my icq is 6212436 if you ever want to meet and have a laugh

K

Kiminality

Your judging us by calling or insults lame. They are well thought out and even funny. Please don't be so judgemental we are on the rant site anyhow :scholar:
Ranting != Insulting

In any case, he's SnR mod, so it's his job.

G

gen2000

I'm gonna guess you don't have children cause you sound like my teenage students. Perhaps just out of college and not all groen up yet? You don't seem to undertand simple math. Also don't seem to realise the impact the property has on pvm but why should you, black and white is the only colors you see. Colorblind?
Actually I have 2 daughters, 8 and 2.5.. I do understand how a mage weapon could affect pvm, but anybody that would use a mage weapon in pvm are tamers and bards. you can't really call a straight up mage a pvmer.. kinda useless temp.. So removing the mage weapon wouldn't really affect them cause they can hide behind their dragons, or peace if a bard or even use honor.. None of those can be used for a pvp mage..
I can get dreadhorn keys solo with my tamer/mage and I don't use a mage weapon.. so what's harder than that? would it be easier with a mage weapon? I don't see how... Im 10x faster than any monster, and im not going to stand there and let them beat on me..

Basicly.. If mage weapons are removed.. tamer/mage, and bard/mage will not have to do anything to their temp.. it will be just as affective.. they will just have to watch what's getting ready to beat on them.. A necro/mage will have to redo his/her temp just to play..

Your judging us by calling or insults lame. They are well thought out and even funny. Please don't be so judgemental we are on the rant site anyhow :scholar: Anyhow gen2000 it was fun my icq is 6212436 if you ever want to meet and have a laugh
Yea, this topic has been fun. You know factions are makin a comeback.. you should join up and have some fun!!

G

gen2000

still dont understand at how people can call this "balanced"
This a sweet mage weapon! it's not unbalanced because you could put that on a mage and come to yew and I would smoke u with my bush/ep dexxor or my archer in no time...

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Go Dutch :)

Oh wait you mean, buried some where in this morass there are insults to people?

I thought initially you were talking about the subject being an insult to other peoples intelligence.