• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) Hey all. How's the game treating you nowdays? Worth returning yet again?

Scenic Nevins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't plaied in about well over 2 years, but I can't seam to shake the feelings of UO.

Been playing since -99, but after the pub 16 age passed, I kept falling on and off.

A few times I've had the urge to return to strong to resist, and reopened my account. Sadly more and more of my old friends, which wore alot of my reason this game kept staying as close to my heart as it did, kept falling off and quitting. Even more sadly a few of them even passed away.

Back in "the day" when you had to work hard for everything you got, dungeoun crawling all nights til server down to get the gold and skills for survival, alot of friends wore made. Bonds that I still have a few left of still, but out of the game nevertheless.
In the later years, I found it harder to adjust to the "new UO"...and I found it hard to get the trust in others ingame. Advantage takers, "cheaters" and mass overflow of powergamers macroing everything started slowly taking over the game, and the personal trust and mutual feelings of respect and caring for others seamed harder and harder to come by.

I feel almost like...sentimental now....thinking back. I really truly wish I could get those old times back. Find all those old true good friends from all over the world which I made, and start the adventure all over again.

I recon most here wont remember me ingame, as I didnt make a very noticable role in the core of the community, but I do see the odd name here on the board that I do recognize. Some true only to this messageboard, but still.
I was a part of the RAA for many many years, but I left it quite some time ago when Ulysses himself slowly started turning controle of the guild away from himself. But I also miss those old days, hanging at the brit forge...helping out to whoever we could repairing and making arms and armour.
I have also tried to make contact with the person who ran the first guild I really devoted time to. Befor this guild, I was mostly running back and forth still learning the game. Remember he was from the UK, character called Aaronus Maximus. Haven't had much luck tracking him tho :p

Later, when returning, Brit got more and more deserted. Slowly dissapearing from the "face of the earth" :p (sort of speak)
And the game changed quite alot. I turned to factions the last time I tried to do a comeback. Playing TB (which is where I always will belong) with a character called Animal Mother.

Anyway, to end the ranting of the old times, I'll return to my initial intention of posting:

How do you all find everything working nowdays? Is it worth it for an old vet to try again? Maby to find a new place in this world of ours? Or am I to obscolete to stand a chance versus the new chaps with the leet skill and fiber lines? :p
How is the community? Guilds, wars, pvp, crawling and what not?

I really miss the hell out of it...

-Roy

Stickypaws

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If you want to return to UO of good ole days, do not come back to UO. All your mates will be gone and the games hugely different to when I last played pre stygian abyss.

That said, I am a recent returner. I still refuse to wear armour and am only lighlty itemised. My dexer only wears haven blessed stuff and gets about fine. My arcanist thief wanders through the top end dungeons armed with a pair of shortpants and still survives and does usefull stuff. So you wont be obslete. You will have to adapt but you certainly wont be obslete.

If you want a hand getting back in game speak to Mannen about joining SOAR.

Say hi if ya see me about too. I am generally the only semi naked guy found often at luna bank selling mechanical pets and pots.

Crest Lavender

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Hey dear old friend (hope you don't mind me calling you that :)),

i think i know how you feel and similar feelings have me dragged back into the
game multiple times - sometimes for shorter and sometimes for a longer time.

There is still a lot of the old spirit left in UO and i like to return also for sentimental
or memorial reasons - but thats only one part of the binding to the game - the
other one is the fact that Sosaria still is an artificial fantasy-world where one could
dive into for all sorts of explorations - and the changes of the game even add to
that (positive and negative of course).

I still occasionally meet dear old friends in Sosaria but also meet new interesting
people who may become friends. You're right about the way of interaction today
though - since its all so much more 'secure' today, the social interaction is not as
'true' as it was pre Trammel e.g. - at least thats what i think about it - also possible
thats its me who has changed :)

To be honest i also started playing on Siege Perilous, and though its far less people
there than on Europa, i really enjoy playing there - its the challenge of developing a
character there (crafter for me again), the 'thrill' of a more 'dangerous' environment,
the value of your items (the risc of losing them), etc. that makes the game more
interesting and fun again - and i experienced a very nice community there, wich also
adds to the positive experience.
(But i better stop here advertising Siege or the Europa-Players may get mad at me
for trying to steal their players ;-))

On Europa theres also a very good community, incl. a very active RP-Scene, with
a lot of historical and actual institutions like the Auctionhouse, BagBall Teams, Battle Chicken Lizard Leaque, etc.

So if you like, give it a try again, its still worth it in my eyes (i would recomend the classic client) and some would surely be happy to welcome you back :D

And if you reactivate your account, check your items - a lot of things have changed
(like the way GM-Made/Exceptional Items are tagged) and you may want to keep those
for Historical reasons - or give them to a trusted collector of those Items *[i[winks[/i]*.

And if you're in game ask for me in general chat - would be more than happy to spend
some time with an old friend ;-) (and help you in case you need anything)

yours

Crest

D

Dannyboy

I think it depends on what you are looking for.

I have drifted away from uo many times but always end up coming back to UO, it just has a certain charm and other mmo's do not hold for me. I'm finding it a little hard to find guilds to hunt with but I have been told there are active guilds out there, just people seem to be spread out a little more than they used to be. I'm finding that a little frustrating as I some of the new content really needs a group.

The rp community is great, don't know if that's your scene but they are a good bunch of people to get to know anyway and have helped me so much. I think if you can find a group of active people to game with then you will not regret coming back.

The developers seem to be making an effort with advancing the game with new story lines and stuff too.

Scenic Nevins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello Crest :D So you'r still about to mate, hehe. Glad to see it tho, and I would seriosly hope we wore to meet up ingame again someday.

I had to laugh a little about what you saied: "also possible
thats its me who has changed".
Cos I thought the same thing some time ago the last time I returned for a short retry to the game. We're all getting older and develope certain features that some would characterize as weird I guess. :lol:

I actually wore thinking of restarting Siege to. As the risks are greater there, and the work harder. But the reward grows just as much.
I was thinking of deleting the crafter I had there just to start a new character. Don't know what that would be yet tho.
I would still do Europa, but for rp or factions (if ther's still wars going on).

Like you say Stickypaws, I guess most of the older players are gone. But the last time I plaied, I found it really hard to get to trust others as befor. And yes, I got ripped off a few times to, but I guess that will always be apart of the game. Good thing it's only pixels huh :p
I briefley went threw a few of the new craftables some time ago...but thers just so many new items...reagents and what not. To much for an old bugger like me to ever hope to master :D

Whats this SOAR you talk about? A new guild or community ingame? And the name "Mannen" seamed very Norwegian (as I am) as it means "The Man" in english :thumbup1:

But yea, I will say hi if I end up ingame... But the combination of semi nudity and mechanical pets sound really disturbing :lol:

I also find that no other game developed yet can give what UO gives. Tried quite a few, but I have to say wow is the worst I've ever tried. Like, how many times can you hit the same brick befor you just grow to tired of that damn brick? :rant2:

Hope I can remember which account holds the main characters.... cos I really wouldnt wanna open all 13 of em...
Shame to think about all the houses that fell...but heck.. that probably makes it more fun anyway, to not have "everything" from the start :D

How is felucca now? Can you still run about for hours without encounter anyone or can I still hope to have company there?

Btw Crest... Do you still have my old ICQ number? I can't find it nor remember it, and I have no idea what email i registered with back then...but I would love to try and see if I can remember my old password :p

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But yea, I will say hi if I end up ingame... But the combination of semi nudity and mechanical pets sound really disturbing :lol:

How is felucca now? Can you still run about for hours without encounter anyone or can I still hope to have company there?
Hei

Det er fortsatt folk i felucca, men ikke så mange som før. Det er fortsatt mulig med PvP,
men vanskelig in odd-hours. Generelt er det færre folk i disse dager enn tidligere så enkelte resources må man hunte selv :p

For english people: I said its few people online these days, but UO is :heart: so do start!

Stickypaws

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
SOAR is a guild aimed at new and returning players. It is run by Mannen who is scottish so an oddball and gruff by default. Ill poke her towards this thread.

Nudity and mechanical pets rule -.-

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
SOAR is a guild aimed at new and returning players. It is run by Mannen who is scottish so an oddball and gruff by default. Ill poke her towards this thread.

Nudity and mechanical pets rule -.-

If you poke me, buster, you're looking for trouble, and will find it!

SAOR. It's SAOR. Gaelic - it means 'free'.

And Mannan is my fisher :)

If you would like to join my merry band of nutters, Nevins, shout in general chat for me, (Cail) Trammie or Serafi. I warn you now though, they're all completely bonkers and the condition is catching!

Crest Lavender

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Scenic - you have a PM ;-)

Don't delete your Siege Char yet - check him out first and save all the items he has,
since for us beginners every item on siege has a value ;-) - i regretted to have
deleted one of my very old ones there - fortunately kept the other and so still have
a personal bless deed and some other 'historical' stuff :)

* wonders how one could be well dressed while nude *
* shivers *
* check if his undies are still on the right place *

Petra for Queen!

Scenic Nevins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the PM Crest. I'll try to get the password...buggern thing. It's so old...and the icq mail have been deleted when ICQ rebuilt their servers, so I can't do a recover neither.

There is never enough nudity. >.>

So much so, I need a new sig.

:coco:
:lick:

That sounds like being ingame late nights when most ppl are off to bed, and the odd few addicted are left ingame just playing the bugger out of everything out of boredom :p

I know a certain RAA founder that had the same habbits in the late nights when very few was watching :hahaha:
(But he will refuse it if he ever reads this :p )

SAOR (rechecks spelling :p ) sounds like a cool addition to the game tho... And wich a scottish face outwards, that just has to be hillarious.
After working offshore on english/scottish sector alot, I really love the scottish way of talking :p
I remember a scottish lady once talking about a thing called "Hogmany" or something... she was quite drunk, so I didnt get a grasp of her explenation, but it sounded serious from her part....

Cool to see thers other norwegians ingame also Chap. I got the feeling most dissapeared when UT crashed the first time. Havent found many ingame since then.

Just reopened my account...and I guess I'm looking at a night full of patching now.....

Stickypaws

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Welcome back to the game. I have a leggy Tailor, GM Tinker, Elder Tamer, and GM Alchemist if ya need something from them.

I remember a scottish lady once talking about a thing called "Hogmany" or something... she was quite drunk, so I didnt get a grasp of her explenation, but it sounded serious from her part....
All scots are drunk. Always. Hogmanys just another excuse to get drunk. Drunkards....

Scenic Nevins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All scots are drunk. Always. Hogmanys just another excuse to get drunk. Drunkards....
LOL.... oh thats so funny :p

Hey...I got a thing I'm wondering about... This chat option thing... I see things pop up in my left corner, in blue...Including my name!!!! How do I chat there? lol

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
short answer, comma then type.
Long answer: Using In-Game Chat

This might come as a shock to you, but uo.stratics is upto date and has lots of information on all the new stuff that's in game :D

Scenic Nevins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
short answer, comma then type.
Long answer: Using In-Game Chat

This might come as a shock to you, but uo.stratics is upto date and has lots of information on all the new stuff that's in game :D

Lol , cool thanks :p

Good to know the stratics is upto date tho... Was kinda outdated a while back.

Hmz..first thing I do when I get back is buy all sorts of new things... So much to try out :p

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Somebody went and scammed a poor, inoffensive, little old English granny into becoming managing editor with the task of getting the site sorted. :violin:

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Somebody went and scammed a poor, inoffensive, little old English granny into becoming managing editor with the task of getting the site sorted. :violin:

A task she has proved more than equal to! In fact, I don't think some of the dustier info knew what had hit it :)

Scenic Nevins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It indeed looks like the stratics page is quite the much better.

Question tho... Does most of you use the 3d client now? I never really changed to 3d, as it was laggy bugged and not very good early on. Tho I still like the feeling the 2d client gives me...it would perhaps be worth changing?
I guess its no good in pvp tho but still..

I only run what I'd call a mid range computer, even tho I have 2 fairly okay bridged graphic cards, and 64bit system with 32g ram. On a 2mb feed atm..so I'm not to happy about that tho (only have 1mb upload).

btw, the SAOR TB faction guild, is that by any chance connected to you Cailleach?

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use the classic client. You will part me from my classic client when you pry it from my cold dead fingers - or when EA get off their arses, sort out the dirty graphics in the SA client, and stop it from giving me motion sickness! Others will, of course, have other opinions :) If you'd like to see some SA client screenies, find some of Mappers reports, he takes em in the nasty client :p

The SAOR faction guild is indeed connected with us, as is the allied guild. It expands the range of playstyles we can offer our folks :)

Stickypaws

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
i love the new client its far more advanced useability wise than previous new clients. I never use classic client myself. Hate it ta bits. :)

Scenic Nevins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm tempted to try out the 3d. But I'm also extremely attached to the 2d myself. I'm guessing the 3d holds alot of effect and item graphic additions that can be cool ingame.
I found the old 3d client to be very confusing. Might just be that old habbits die hard tho...

Speaking of graphics... Has anyone shot the decorator of WBB yet?
jeez......

PS!!:

Buggern this "Location seams to be blocked......."
You lot need to move youre houses back to it's original position so I can use atleast some of my runes again !!!! :p

M

McValdemar

I'll give you my opinion as a returning player from years of absence.

THE GOOD:
- There's no MMORPG like UO and there will never be one again;
- There is much new content with expansions;
- There is a great work in term of events;

THE BAD:
- UO won't ever give you the same feelings when it was something new, hot;

THE UGLY:
- The world is a bit too empty. Large empty areas, few players, so many things that will let you feel the world a bit "dead".
Very few vendors in houses, many houses set to private only, very few people in old dungeons/areas, Felucca almost desert, etc...