• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Heritage token items removed from Ultima Store?

Seraphina_152

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I saw on the UO wiki(Ultima Store Inventory – Ultima Online) that the heritage token items are supposed to be on the in-game store for 100S each. But when I loaded up the store to grab a Quiver of Infinity for my archer I couldn't find it. In fact, I can't seem to find any of the heritage stuff. Were they removed or is the store just buggy?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I saw on the UO wiki(Ultima Store Inventory – Ultima Online) that the heritage token items are supposed to be on the in-game store for 100S each. But when I loaded up the store to grab a Quiver of Infinity for my archer I couldn't find it. In fact, I can't seem to find any of the heritage stuff. Were they removed or is the store just buggy?
There are new items, stock rotation. Call out in Gen Chat on your shard, there are a lot of them still out there.

Seraphina_152

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
There are new items, stock rotation. Call out in Gen Chat on your shard, there are a lot of them still out there.
Oh, I didn't realize the stock rotated. I wanted to buy one with cash because I don't really have much gold lol. Thanks for the tip though! :)

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Was it officially advised that they were gonna 'stock rotate' ? Only ask as I was intending to get a few things off the heritage token too, and was just waiting to see what I could pick up in game before committing r/l dollars to it. I am certainly not impressed if they are no longer available. What is the point of a store if they are gonna just up and drop stuff. Bring back UOstore at least it was consistant with what it sold. Not gonna be happy if I can't now get the things I was expressly saving my money for. Just another pointless thing to annoy people.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm pretty sure i probably have a heritage Token you can just have there.

I'll check later when I'm available.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If anyone on Europa needs a heritage token, gimme a shout, I have a stash.

The number one rule in business is make transactions easy. Folk have money, you have items, you want the money, they want the items. It seems that the plan is to complicate this process as much as possible, what with shuffling stuffs around, 'checks' on transactions that take ages and the new 'improved' in game shop system. As a business model, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...

I remember when you could go to the store, buy an item or an upgrade, go to your email and get the code, then log in and apply it, all within fifteen minutes or so. That system made sense, and was a good deal simpler than what's in place now.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Stock rotations? In a digital store?
:facepalm:

They have virtually unlimited shelf space, there is no reason to rotate stock, just sale prices.

Who wants to bet that UO will get screwed out of a Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale again this year, either on Origin or the in-game store...

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

They have virtually unlimited shelf space, there is no reason to rotate stock, just sale prices.

Who wants to bet that UO will get screwed out of a Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale again this year, either on Origin or the in-game store...
not gonna take that bet Dot, i needs mah money!!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Somehow I can't even feel sorry anymore if they had to close down UO tomorrow. So much incompetence.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Somehow I can't even feel sorry anymore if they had to close down UO tomorrow. So much incompetence.
Agreed..however stock rotation is a good idea. Except not with stupid items like that. I've always petitioned for them to add monthly dye specials and thing people would actually want. Problem is..they people would cry P2W or it's NOt fair "insert cry face" even though...They had a month to get it lol. Think about it. 1 special store dye not available in game once a month for .99¢ 1 charge. If there's 2000 active account and each account buys 1! Just one! Even though you know the nerds will buy hundreds to resell. That's a quick $2000 monthly revenue! They could literally pay someone $400 a month to add one dye and make $. Even though all they'd have to do is click, copy, paste, edit hue..10 minutes!!

They could spend a whole publish period developing a mobile store app that connects UO accounts to the app, and offer all kind of weekly, monthly, yearly specials. That alone would fund this ancient game..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Agreed..however stock rotation is a good idea. Except not with stupid items like that. I've always petitioned for them to add monthly dye specials and thing people would actually want. Problem is..they people would cry P2W or it's NOt fair "insert cry face" even though...They had a month to get it lol. Think about it. 1 special store dye not available in game once a month for .99¢ 1 charge. If there's 2000 active account and each account buys 1! Just one! Even though you know the nerds will buy hundreds to resell. That's a quick $2000 monthly revenue! They could literally pay someone $400 a month to add one dye and make $. Even though all they'd have to do is click, copy, paste, edit hue..10 minutes!!

They could spend a whole publish period developing a mobile store app that connects UO accounts to the app, and offer all kind of weekly, monthly, yearly specials. That alone would fund this ancient game..

In a digital store, stock rotations are a horrible idea. You never lose a sale by have the item available when the customer wants the product... but very easy to lose a sale the other way around.

The heart of your post is correct though... a monthly promotion of a particular item would be a terrific idea... gotta wonder how come all those other companies out there never figured out that they should have "sales" once in a while /scarcasm.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hell, I have over 100 of the green tokens lying around, and got more recently in trade. I even have a few left over on other shards from cross-shard trading. I even have some of the older tokens still about.

Getting them in-game isn't really as hard as one would think.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
There shouldn't be any sales on UO codes or items. People would just stock up and then re-sellers would have them back at regular price so they could try to make some margin. It hurts Broadsword's bottom line to do this. In consideration of their current small staff size, my guess is that every dollar they get counts significantly.

We will all live without saving $2-$3 dollars on a token or expansion.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There shouldn't be any sales on UO codes or items. People would just stock up and then re-sellers would have them back at regular price so they could try to make some margin. It hurts Broadsword's bottom line to do this. In consideration of their current small staff size, my guess is that every dollar they get counts significantly.

We will all live without saving $2-$3 dollars on a token or expansion.
Sorry, but UO isn't such a special snowflake in the MMO world that it can continue to charge full price for its content ad infinitum. Were we flush with players, your argument might have some validity. But when weighed against EVERY OTHER ONLINE GAME HAVING SALES ON CONTENT, notsomuch.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Sorry, but UO isn't such a special snowflake in the MMO world that it can continue to charge full price for its content ad infinitum. Were we flush with players, your argument might have some validity. But when weighed against EVERY OTHER ONLINE GAME HAVING SALES ON CONTENT, notsomuch.
Yes, quite frankly, it is a special snowflake. Ultima Online isn't "every other online game".

And don't shoot the messenger. Blame the small player base of greedy folks that would hoard all the cheap codes for sale on third party sites (but still charge their own full price so they could use the margin as their own built in profit) to the denigration of UO and Broadsword. Most other online games have better ways to control this, but UO does not.

I will be further frank and come out and say it: Broadsword's bottom line of making sure they don't lose out on hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on a 'Cyber Monday sale' is more important than your bottom line or my bottom line of saving a few bucks.

But who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and they will put up one or two small items, like the King's Collection, for sale.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In a digital store, stock rotations are a horrible idea. You never lose a sale by have the item available when the customer wants the product... but very easy to lose a sale the other way around.

The heart of your post is correct though... a monthly promotion of a particular item would be a terrific idea... gotta wonder how come all those other companies out there never figured out that they should have "sales" once in a while /scarcasm.
Semi agreed. However the whole purpose of something like this would be bringing normally non-existent capital into the game. It would have to be small, cool affordable items. I say Dyes because everyone always wants Dyes and it's very easy to make them. They could release 5 new Dyes every 3 months. So after 3 months those 5 Dyes go into a sort of "archive" and after a year those Dyes become permanent staples or they even put them in a bundle say instead of .99¢ each all 5 for $3.99 what they are doing is keeping fresh stock rotating throughout the store, which keeps people spending money $1 is nothing when you look at it. So for me to buy a pack of 10 Dyes for $10 would mean anything monetarily wise, but for UO development it could work wonders. Cause you know people will stick up on them. Heck they could even make money raising events and add Development cash goals like a little Kickstarter type thing at the store. They come up with ideas which I'm sure they do but don't have the funding or money backing up the man hours. So let the players speak. Set goals and timelines. A new armor pack to add new armor wearable into the game. Say it's going to cost 30 labor hours and they need $5,000 to make it happen quickly. They throw a donation Sash up in the store that goes from $1-$1000 with tiers. $1 gets you a basic Sash that just says like I supported Ultima Online or something. And the higher the tier the better Dyed Sash or whatever. I'm kind of rambling and it might seem nonsensical..but simple business could generate tons of cash for this game. I'd say 90% of people who play are 18-60 we all have money, continue to pay to play a 20 year old game. App micro transactions could really boost involvement and revenue so they can put out nicer content or even hire people to put it out more often. Even have monthly contests. Submit your best art formatted the way they need it formatted and pay the winners with game store credits. It's just amazing how they don't even try it seems to really market this game at all. I'd be first in line to submit art, lore, a story line, music or whatever they need.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, quite frankly, it is a special snowflake. Ultima Online isn't "every other online game".

And don't shoot the messenger. Blame the small player base of greedy folks that would hoard all the cheap codes for sale on third party sites (but still charge their own full price so they could use the margin as their own built in profit) to the denigration of UO and Broadsword. Most other online games have better ways to control this, but UO does not.

I will be further frank and come out and say it: Broadsword's bottom line of making sure they don't lose out on hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on a 'Cyber Monday sale' is more important than your bottom line or my bottom line of saving a few bucks.

But who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and they will put up one or two small items, like the King's Collection, for sale.
UO is a niche game, not a special snowflake. It runs on the original subscription model while most MMOs have long abandoned this in favor of a freemium structure. So UO players are stuck paying ~$13 a month, plus any content since '09s SA expansion (excluding ToL), plus we have an item store on top of that. So EA gets a free pass to triple dip?

If players hoard store items (as codes would be a silly thing to hoard) its usually to sell for in-game gold, not to resell for cash. I personally do not buy the third party argument. At. All. EA/Mythic/BS has the legal right to crush them out of existence and likely seize their assets, but they don't for whatever reason. Laziness is not a free pass to triple dip. Most other online games DO have a third party reseller issue, UO isn't unique here either. About the only ones that don't are those who don't allow any kind of freemium item or access code trading, and that's relatively rare.

A few thousand dollars "lost" on selling virtual items that cost the company nothing to produce would go a long way towards building up goodwill with UO's subscribers. If you think BS gets the money from Origin (since our sovereign revenue goes through them) I have the deed to a bridge you might be interested in.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Their structure, while different from many other MMOs, is similar to many console games. In example: buy game, buy expansions, buy in-game items, pay for 'online subscription' (such as X-Box online). Only real difference is the charge period of the subscription. So 'triple-dipping' isn't really all too foreign to the gaming world.

I do not buy into the notion that much, if any, goodwill would be created from a one or two day sale. "At. All." The lost revenue far outweighs any temporary "goodwill" that would be created from a short term sale.

From a short-term consumer stand point, I hope that I am wrong and there will be a sale. But from a long-term stand point of wanting this game to last in perpetuity, if they have any reason to believe revenue would be lost from their bottom line then I wouldn't want to see the sale happen just to save a few bucks.

And on that we will simply have to agree to disagree.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Their structure, while different from many other MMOs, is similar to many console games. In example: buy game, buy expansions, buy in-game items, pay for 'online subscription' (such as X-Box online). Only real difference is the charge period of the subscription. So 'triple-dipping' isn't really all too foreign to the gaming world.

I do not buy into the notion that much, if any, goodwill would be created from a one or two day sale. "At. All." The lost revenue far outweighs any temporary "goodwill" that would be created from a short term sale.

From a short-term consumer stand point, I hope that I am wrong and there will be a sale. But from a long-term stand point of wanting this game to last in perpetuity, if they have any reason to believe revenue would be lost from their bottom line then I wouldn't want to see the sale happen just to save a few books.

And on that we will simply have to agree to disagree.
Your assumption replies on the idea that all UO sales are a foregone conclusion, thus any discount = lost revenue. I disagree with this premise as just wrong. There are plenty of sales to be had in UO that will ONLY happen when there is a discount. Never offering any discount leaves all of those sales on the table. For items with no real cost other than generating the code, I think it makes for horrible business.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Your assumption replies on the idea that all UO sales are a foregone conclusion, thus any discount = lost revenue. I disagree with this premise as just wrong. There are plenty of sales to be had in UO that will ONLY happen when there is a discount. Never offering any discount leaves all of those sales on the table. For items with no real cost other than generating the code, I think it makes for horrible business.
That assumes sales are price elastic, which I do not believe they are. If the player base was much younger, I might be inclined to believe discounts would drive some additional sales. As the player base for this game is much older, and played primarily by people who have discretionary income, most of them probably aren't waiting around to save $2 dollars to purchase a token or code from the store. They will just buy it when they need it. The ones who are looking for discounts will try to find tokens in-game or by other third party sellers, which are generally always offering discounts when comparing prices to the official store.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That assumes sales are price elastic, which I do not believe they are. If the player base was much younger, I might be inclined to believe discounts would drive some additional sales. As the player base for this game is much older, and played primarily by people who have discretionary income, most of them probably aren't waiting around to save $2 dollars to purchase a token or code from the store. They will just buy it when they need it. The ones who are looking for discounts will try to find tokens in-game or by other third party sellers, which are generally always offering discounts when comparing prices to the official store.
So your own post contradicts itself. For a good portion of UO the sales are price elastic... not because we don't have the income, but because we think some of those digital items are overpriced to begin with. Even so, you acknowledge that there are buyers looking for discounts... and that business is going to 3rd party sites. Why not have the discounts in the UO store and let that money go straight to the game?

If you don't think UO players pay attention to price, all you have to do is pull up the threads here in UHall about origin store sales are see how many people get ticked off and refuse to buy when we get excluded from storewide sales.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So your own post contradicts itself. For a good portion of UO the sales are price elastic... not because we don't have the income, but because we think some of those digital items are overpriced to begin with. Even so, you acknowledge that there are buyers looking for discounts... and that business is going to 3rd party sites. Why not have the discounts in the UO store and let that money go straight to the game?

If you don't think UO players pay attention to price, all you have to do is pull up the threads here in UHall about origin store sales are see how many people get ticked off and refuse to buy when we get excluded from storewide sales.
You do realize that NO MONEY goes to the UO Store, all the money goes to the Origin Store and that is owned and controlled by EA, BroadSword has ZERO control of it. If UO had a sell in the on-line store it world not affect EA one iota.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You do realize that NO MONEY goes to the UO Store, all the money goes to the Origin Store and that is owned and controlled by EA, BroadSword has ZERO control of it. If UO had a sell in the on-line store it world not affect EA one iota.
I realize the origin store is owned by EA, this is true. I do not believe that there is no benefit to Broadsword for increased profits from UO, either through the store or subscriptions. While what you say may be true, it would make absolutely zero business sense for Broadsword to contract with EA to manage UO if they had no opportunity to increase their profits if UO became more profitable under their management.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I realize the origin store is owned by EA, this is true. I do not believe that there is no benefit to Broadsword for increased profits from UO, either through the store or subscriptions. While what you say may be true, it would make absolutely zero business sense for Broadsword to contract with EA to manage UO if they had no opportunity to increase their profits if UO became more profitable under their management.
EA uses real money and sells funny money that you use in UO. If UO has a sell using funny money that does not necessarily equate to EA making more money, it just means that UO sells more pixel crack with funny money. The only way EA could make good real money is to have a sell on UO related items in the Origin or BS has a sell and we can spend or funny money on Mythic, Xfer and Soulstone Tokens. EA will never discount online money or anything UO related for that matter and UO will probably never discount the 3 high selling items. The only way for BroadSword to become more profitable is #1 attract new players or #2 get current players to open up more accounts. Those two things puts real money directly into EAs pockets. BroardSword manages UO, EA controls UO. UO to EA Can we run a black Friday Sell in the UO Store, EA to UO Lol NO

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EA uses real money and sells funny money that you use in UO. If UO has a sell using funny money that does not necessarily equate to EA making more money, it just means that UO sells more pixel crack with funny money. The only way EA could make good real money is to have a sell on UO related items in the Origin or BS has a sell and we can spend or funny money on Mythic, Xfer and Soulstone Tokens. EA will never discount online money or anything UO related for that matter and UO will probably never discount the 3 high selling items. The only way for BroadSword to become more profitable is #1 attract new players or #2 get current players to open up more accounts. Those two things puts real money directly into EAs pockets. BroardSword manages UO, EA controls UO. UO to EA Can we run a black Friday Sell in the UO Store, EA to UO Lol NO
The origin store sells sovereigns and expansions, both of which cost real money... real profit that I argue does in fact benefit Broadsword. A sale on those items in the origin store would undoubtedly lead to some extra sales, which means extra profit. End of story.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The origin store sells sovereigns and expansions, both of which cost real money... real profit that I argue does in fact benefit Broadsword. A sale on those items in the origin store would undoubtedly lead to some extra sales, which means extra profit. End of story.
So now we have gone from UO having a sell to EA having a sell and we all know how well those went in the past. EA has a policy to NEVER discount online money/gametime and once in a very special blue moon EA will discount some UO related items but those have been so far an few that nobody ever expects it and IMHO EA will not discount anything UO related ever again because it wants to milk as much as it can out of UO. When BS took over UO it had what 10 or so people and now we are down to 5 and you think BS got to keep that extra money or do you think EA cut the BS budget to reflect those salaries, my money is on CUT.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

There is a difference between the price elasticity for an end user (the final consumer of a product) and third party sites that are stealing the margin away by hoarding and then just selling at nearly full price for their own profit... money that on a dollar for dollar basis I would still rather see going to Broadsword/Origin/EA. I acknowledged that in my very first post on the topic.

I don't believe anyone is entitled to a discount just because some other games do it. There are plenty who do not. Broadsword's bottom line is more important than a few individual players saving $3.50, in my humble opinion.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So now we have gone from UO having a sell to EA having a sell and we all know how well those went in the past. EA has a policy to NEVER discount online money/gametime and once in a very special blue moon EA will discount some UO related items but those have been so far an few that nobody ever expects it and IMHO EA will not discount anything UO related ever again because it wants to milk as much as it can out of UO. When BS took over UO it had what 10 or so people and now we are down to 5 and you think BS got to keep that extra money or do you think EA cut the BS budget to reflect those salaries, my money is on CUT.
Whether the items in the ingame UO store OR the Sovereigns in the Origin store go on sale the effect would be the same. One must buy sovereigns in order to buy items in the UO store.

If it were me, I would run a 25% off sale in the Origin store once in a while, Black Friday would be an obvious choice for one of those. Then I would run one or two items a month as a promotional item in the UO ingame store... new dyes, vet reward items, etc.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is a difference between the price elasticity for an end user (the final consumer of a product) and third party sites that are stealing the margin away by hoarding and then just selling at nearly full price for their own profit... money that on a dollar for dollar basis I would still rather see going to Broadsword/Origin/EA. I acknowledged that in my very first post on the topic.

I don't believe anyone is entitled to a discount just because some other games do it. There are plenty who do not. Broadsword's bottom line is more important than a few individual players saving $3.50, in my humble opinion.
Money is money. You think that the end users money is some how different than the 3rd party sellers money when they buy from the origin store?

Step back and look at the big picture for a moment. The mere fact that the 3rd party sellers can and do sell those items at a cheaper price than UO proves there is demand for them at the lower price point. The end user IS price elastic. 3rd party sites are not the cause of it, they just take advantage of it. UO should take advantage of it. Virtually 100% of UO sales are profit, that is not the case for 3rd party site... (duping aside), the 3rd party sellers profit is always less than UO.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

Not that it's too important, even if the sale were 50% on Origin, there would be a slim profit margin for 3rd party resellers since they generally sell much lower than Origin.

Last I knew I can snag a transfer token for $12 on a 3rd party vs $20 on Origin. So a 50% sale would net them $2.

I do not care who gets the money if I want the item.

I already support the game through the subscription model.

If Origin wants to stick their heads in the sand that's fine, I've already
Determined a long time ago they must hate my money, regardless of where it ends up.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I work hard for my money just like others that are gainfully employed. I'm not looking to "save 10% on an item", I'm looking for the simple respect that's given to players when a" Sale" is advertised and then carried out ,nothing more.

My wife loves to buy gas at Kroger using her Kroger Plus card. Then she'll brag about it to me, i'll congratulate her on saving 1.87 on that tank of gas she just bought, and then she'll explain that it's not the money she saved, but the fact that Kroger makes her feel somewhat important by giving her the discount in the first place.

Lady Mal

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

This was my chief complaint today. UO is almost always screwed out of these sales, especially the past years. There was a sale, some years back.. on a couple of items.