• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Herded animals do not follow in Gate ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why is it that herded (non tamed) animals set on following herder do not follow when using a Gate ?

If they are set on following the herder they should follow the herder through a Gate, shouldn't they ?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, they don't follow through gates or dungeon entrances, never have.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, herded animals shouldn't follow you through a gate. You need to tame them first.

Why? Well, any tameable critter can be herded. En masse. Enabling shepherds to take that flock wherever they wanted wouldn't really be in balance with the power of other players. I don't think anyone wants to see a shepherd at large with a flock of greater dragons ;) The potential for griefing would be quite significant methinks.

Wenchy

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then herding use is totally limited to wherever the herdable animals/monsters spawn ?

Quite a limit for the use of this skill, IMHO.

R

RichDC

No, herded animals shouldn't follow you through a gate. You need to tame them first.

Why? Well, any tameable critter can be herded. En masse. Enabling shepherds to take that flock wherever they wanted wouldn't really be in balance with the power of other players. I don't think anyone wants to see a shepherd at large with a flock of greater dragons ;) The potential for griefing would be quite significant methinks.

Wenchy
You mean unlike now where the herder(stealth best) can herd the group of sad GD's to either the entrance of destard fro insta entry death, or the res point at the back in the champ?

(i gotta make one and ac tually do this!)

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, but that's restricted to Destard itself, where folks go knowing dragons could be grouped at the entrance. You don't even need a shepherd to do it :D

Wenchy

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not just griefing of players either, that level of power over the mobiles in the game could quite possibly lead to server instability. We know what unscrupulous players can manage to do with that scenario. It's a situation I don't want to see happen.

R

RichDC

Not just griefing of players either, that level of power over the mobiles in the game could quite possibly lead to server instability. We know what unscrupulous players can manage to do with that scenario. It's a situation I don't want to see happen.
100% aggree, i more said the comment tongue in cheek jesting.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a Stealth herder on Europa, I've re-arranged Destard from time to time, but I never took more creatures than could be outrun. I used some left - over Rikktor spawn drakes to make the top of the slope to level 2 in Felucca match the spawn in Trammel. I took Kirin from left over Oaks to Delucia and spread them out around town and I took kirin and unicorn from Oaks all the way to Fire LL Exit.

And I've dryad allured an ettin and had him 'herd' cows to WBB with me stealthiing in cat form. :)

R

RichDC

And I've dryad allured an ettin and had him 'herd' cows to WBB with me stealthiing in cat form. :)
Whhaaat??

Nm, answered my own question as im writing.

(of topic, anyone dryad allured the named rat mage in sanctuary? Thats a mean SOB pet!)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't have thought you could allure that, it's not a humanoid? Am I wrong?

oh, my 'farmer' and his herd

Allure can be lots of fun. I've watched a player ask my allured savage ridgeback rider 'are you a player or npc?' and I've taken a nice ogre lord to Yew gate fel after carefully backspacing out the 'lord' in Skara first. :D They hit my 'An Ogre' with a lightning bolt and got a surprise when he chased them instead of falling over dead :D. Three of them ganked him of course.

R

RichDC

Plus the artics are awesome for gaining!

Ratmen are considered repond, thus can be allured. There is also a named ettin down there which can be allured, you can have a named farmer now!

Thats a cool pic btw, amusing!

O

Old Man of UO

Sorry, they don't follow through gates or dungeon entrances, never have.
Well, ONCE upon a time you could herd and lead any critter through gates. It was abused and thankfully got changed. Caused certain spawns to stop spawning, and server issues, not to mention the griefing.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, ONCE upon a time you could herd and lead any critter through gates. It was abused and thankfully got changed. Caused certain spawns to stop spawning, and server issues, not to mention the griefing.
*Cough* I was going to say ......

I remember way back, herding a bunch of sheep into my large stone house and keeping them there for resources.

I never did use Herding for monsters though, why bother, it was a lot simpler to get them all aggro'd on you and just gate em to were ever you wanted them.

By the by, I stopped the Sheering operation, it was just to .... Mind Numbing. And I dropped Herding as well.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Herding is fun on idoc characters - stealthers who camp idoc houses. You can put animal lore on this character for extra stable slots (bonded packies are useful at idocs), and you can also use a stealther to run through destard loring the dragons, separating out the one you want with herding, etc. Very useful as a niche sort of character. Can also lore and herd cu's towards the sparkly gate and away from any dangerous critters in the twisted wield.