• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Help with UO Trace Plz..

N

nickdafunk

I cant get any servers up on uo trace, i think i might be doing something wrong.

When I hit 'Update Server List', it comes up checking login then ses 'socket error getting server list'

Im not inputing anything and all ive got is blank fields with no server info at all.

I thought it might be a problem with my firewall at first, so i disabled that, but its still doing the same thing.

Any ideas?

Ta,

G

I'm probably wrong, but I thought that stopped working long ago?

N

nickdafunk

Hmm. Ive heard of people using it recently though, and it is still on the UO site. But nothing i do can get it to work so far... =<

G

dont try to update server list or whatever.

server =

<shardnamehere>.owo.com

So if you play atlantic its atlantic.owo.com , if its europa its europa.owo.com

Hope that helps

You can also use dos to do this. Go into "start" and then "run" and then type in "ping <shardnamehere>.owo.com"

G

Program was discontinued awhile ago, I dunno if it was picked up again since then or not, sounds like not. But it was basically a UI on top of a simple traceroute, so that's easy enough to do by yourself.

1. Go to Start > Run

2. Type "cmd" , no quotes, hit enter.

3. Type "tracert yourservername.owo.com", no quotes, replace yourservername with, erm, your server name.

That will give you the same info UOTrace used to. If you're posting it on a public forum, you probably want to delete the IP addresses of the first couple hops for privacy reasons.

N

nickdafunk

Thanks all for the quick response!

Whats good for a ping to pvp with? Mine is currently sitting at an average of 42 with no packet loss at all. Yet, when i try to play ive got quite substantial lag..

Fairly sure it isn't the computer because the lag comes and goes at very specific times.

If 42 is good then im baffled.

G

42 is rather good. I spent most of my time in UO pinging close to 150, and did a lot of PvPing.

You are sure it isn't the computer because the lag comes and goes at very specific times? Could you elaborate a little? In my experience it's the other way around; your computer can slow down a bit because it is loading lots of other players/items/etc at the same time. I'm assuming here that the people you PvP with aren't doing something to make you lag (not something completely unheard of in the world of online games, but not the usual suspect when it comes to lagging).

N

nickdafunk

Its always fine during the day but as it gets nearer 6 things start to slow down, then again it will speed up after 12am when everyone seems to go to bed and the internet becomes less laggy.

I notice my general internet connection to be poor at these times.

Restarting the comp and leaving it off for a bit never seems to do much..

Its a strange one.

G

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you are on a cable modem? In that case, you're sharing a pipe with the other people in the neighborhood. I can't speak from personal experience, but I imagine that if people in your area did a lot of bandwidth intensive things it could mess up your ping pretty impressively. If that's the case, if you're running tracert like I mentioned earlier you'd probably see the first hop take a good bit of time, and the rest go fairly quickly. That would be something you have to straighten out on your end somehow. No matter which server you use you will have an issue.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Umm OK, guess I will start off by letting you know I dunno jack bout systems cept how to run programs. But ya'll will probably know that just by the question I am asking. When I ran the trace I got this:

1 * * *
2 9ms 10ms 11ms
3 10 12 10
4 17 18 16
5 17 17 18
3]
6 19 19 18
7 19 27 20

8 19 20 20
9 37 35 35
10 37 37 39
11 35 35 41
12 35 35 35
13 33 32 33

This is where I show my noobness....
My understanding in adding each line across will give the total ping. That would mean I am pinging anywhere from a 30 to a 98?

N

nickdafunk

Ive just done some monitoring of my processor while running around and it seems the processor is being overworked quite a bit when i play uo.

I'm using the CPU usage monitor that you get on Task Manager.

While UO is on screen, its sitting at around 40% cpu usage. Thats with me standing stationary. Then, if i run around a populated area, for example Luna, with just vendors and no real player characters it fluctuates between 60-90% CPU useage. I asume this is very bad. It only seems to have an impact when UO is on screen. For example, uo is in the background atm with me sitting in luna and the cpu sits around 22% but when i flick uo back up its back up to about 40.

Does anyone know of anything that can be done to help this situation short of getting a new PC?

This one really is pretty old now with an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ processor and 1GB of Ram..

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I had the same problem with my old system (had about the same set up as you) and never found a way to rectify it. I even went so far as asking all the IT guys at work and found the only thing they knew to do was upgrade the components ($350-400 range). Since I got the new system (AMD 64x2 4200 2.2ghz / 2gig DDR Mem for $500) I can run through Downtown Luna and not even hit 25% usage. May not be a "hardcore gamers" system but works good enough for me.

NotACpa

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the things I discovered a loooong time ago (mostly because of lag times with UO servers) was that the traceroute you see going from You to the Server DOES NOT necessarily follow the same path coming BACK to you FROM the Server - and this can have a significant effect on the game play and response seeing as how it's a two-way action for online games.

Unfortunately, the only way to see this is if the Server site (or one of the backbone ISPs fairly close to the recipient server site) has the ability to let you send a ping/trace back to your machine from their site. Back 5-6 years ago, one of the backbone providers (and I forget which one) had this ability from their home webpage ... but that was back in the earlier, kinder, simpler days of the Internet.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Ummmm dangifikno. However I would get those IP addresses offa there fast. Undesirables can use that if they were so inclined I know that much.

N

nickdafunk

<blockquote><hr>

Ummmm dangifikno. However I would get those IP addresses offa there fast. Undesirables can use that if they were so inclined I know that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats dangifikno? lol

Ive removed the image, silly me

G

<blockquote><hr>

Hit "poll" and let it run for a few hundred pings.

[/ QUOTE ]

to get a true ping test you can type

ping yourshard.owo.com -n 125 -l 1000

that's going to ping the sever 125 times with 1000 bytes of info. and at the bottom you will see a minimum max and average. That's your round trip ping.

Also who ever said if you were on cable your sharing bandwidth. The cable companies monitor usage and if they see lots of band with being pulled from 1 person the we go check it out. Lag is very seldom caused from the cable if you have no packet loss the cable companies wont do anything.

i ran a tracert to catskills
11 9 9
12 10 13
16 13 13
14 12 12
64 64 66
64 64 64
64 63 111 (can you gess where this is iad.ea.com)
66 64 67

N

nickdafunk

When I do that, the ms dos window closes as soon as it finishes so i cant see the end results

From what I can see the time= part is on average around 65ms and the TTL= is always 45.

Does this mean my average ping is 65? Or is it 45?

C

Cygnas

Approximate round trip times in mili-seconds:
Minimum = 168 ms, Maximum = 373 ms, Average = 188 ms

Pretty much matches my login server response. I guess this isn't good? LOL... so much for DSL.

Are the 2D and KR servers the same? If not, what would the server/IP be for KR?

G

Copy the information between the lines below into notepad, save it as SERVER.cfg and put it in your uotrace folder.

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>

[GameServers]
0=AOL Legends (aollegends.owo.com),0
1=Arirang (arirang.owo.com),0
2=Asuka (asuka.owo.com),0
3=Atlantic (atlantic.owo.com),0
4=Baja (baja.owo.com),0
5=Balhae (balhae.owo.com),0
6=Catskills (catskills.owo.com),0
7=Chesapeake (chesapeake.owo.com),0
8=Drachenfels (drachenfels.owo.com),0
9=Europa (europa.owo.com),0
10=Formosa (formosa.owo.com),0
11=Great Lakes (greatlakes.owo.com),0
12=Hokuto (hokuto.owo.com),0
13=Izumo (izumo.owo.com),0
14=Lake Austin (lakeaustin.owo.com),0
15=Lake Superior (lakesuperior.owo.com),0
16=Mizuho (mizuho.owo.com),0
17=Mugen (mugen.owo.com),0
18=Napa Valley (napavalley.owo.com),0
19=Oceania (oceania.owo.com),0
20=Origin (origin.owo.com),0
21=Pacific (pacific.owo.com),0
22=Siege Perilous (siegeperilous.owo.com),0
23=Sakura (sakura.owo.com),0
24=Sonoma (sonoma.owo.com),0
25=Wakoku (wakoku.owo.com),0
26=Yamato (yamato.owo.com),0

</pre><hr />

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
<blockquote><hr>

Whats dangifikno? lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Just the redneck way of saying Dang if I know. Of course I usually use a Dam or [censored] at the beginning of it

G

<blockquote><hr>

Pretty much matches my login server response. I guess this isn't good? LOL... so much for DSL.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to try a diffrent shard. Maybe find one close to where you are. Some wheres there is a list of the east and west coast servers.

C

Cygnas

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to try a diffrent shard. Maybe find one close to where you are. Some wheres there is a list of the east and west coast servers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, this is the second fastest shard for me. My DSL server is 300 miles away. Cable is NOT available in my area, though it is only 1 1/2 miles away. The phone company is a small private company and I am in a restricted access area... meaning that national phone companies are not allowed to compete.

Besides my utter lack of skill... heh... my pings are why I can't do PvP. I try to run away, get a screen update after I think I've gotten away and it is all gray! LOL

N

nickdafunk

Ive taken another screenie of UO Trace, this time i think it has all the necessary info and ive also left out the ip addresses for security.

Could someone please take a look and tell me if this is good or bad? Im still unsure.

Cheers