• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Help with curved stairs please

G

Ghost71

Ok let me try and explain. I'm trying to set stairs where the start of them would be in the west corner of my house. Facing north, then i want the other part of the stairs facing east. And having goza mats there for a landing. Looked at the spiral stairs post. I can get the stairs facing north cut down but then when i try and putting the other stairs behind those whenever i delete any part of the stairs in the back the whole stairs and part of the stairs i already cut down are deleted. I've seen another house with stairs like it but no idea how they went about making them. Well thanks for any help

G

I haven't done much with the chopped stairs technique, but I do know that you really have to plan around your "middle" sections in the building sequence, because anything you do chopping-wise after in those areas, will pretty much ruin those portions after you think you got it all done perfectly.

I have a feeling if you post a pic of the problem area and/or the house that has the end result you want, that Dr. Sarsmi will be able to tell you what you need to do to correct it or achieve it.

-Skylark

G

Ghost71

Heres a pic as my stairs are now. They kinda a mess right now. As ya can see i'm not able to delete the very bottom part of the stairs without the whole stairs going. And only gotten 2 goza mats on the bottom cause the other part of the stairs are in the way.

Also when i'm on the ground floor and stand in spot near the stairs there i can see the floor above me and not the one i'm on. I've seen another house with stairs like this, cept theirs starts on the south corner. Then on the floor above the stairs there are on the west back corner going up

My house setup is of a large forge. But with more floors, so was hoping to have the stairs setup behind the counter.

G

Ok, you can have the setup you have on the ground floor and not have to change anything - to place goza mats on stairs you need to stand on the spot where you want the goza mat to go, then double click it and target yourself. It should fall to your feet. Raise em up and no one will ever see the steps they cover.

To get rid of that anchor step, you have to put it in the path of another staircase. As you have already observed, when you erase a staircase clicking on any part of it, all of it vanishes. This holds true even if parts of it are missing - that is to say that a staircase takes up 4 tiles and each one of them is tied into the staircase:

X
X
X
O

The X's are where we have placed teleporter pads, and the O is what is leftover from the staircase (it is the bottom step) after we have deleted all of the other parts of the stairs. This means that the three X's are now "hotspots". If I was to place a staircase that had any part of it placed on the X spots and then erased the O spot, that would poof whatever was on the Xs:

AMMM
X
X
O

"A" is the bottom step of the newer staircase (AMMM) and as you know you can't just erase it, and teleporters don't work to get rid of it. By erasing "O" tho it will remove everything in it's path, including "A" and leave you with this:

XMMM

For a double L shaped staircase the easiest way to build it is to lay down the four teleporters in the corner, put down 2 staircases and hit floor trans twice, delete the four teleporters, then place the next 2 staircases, delete the original two staircases, then put down four teleporters and build the original two staircases again. Maybe doing that will help more than my letter diagrams, hehe

G

Ghost71

Ok heres what i've done this time. Not shown in the picture but on the 3rd floor, theres a big L kinda opening in the floor where the one set of stairs are and then the other set that you actually walk up to the floor. Is there anyway to put flooring down so you don't see that part of the stairs on the floor below? I try but it just comes up orange.

Well like in the picture see how big the opening is for the stairs and that you'll be able to see the bottom stairs there, is there anyway to put flooring there so you'd just see the stairs at the top and the goza mats on the
landing.

Ok got alittle more flooring on there but it's still a L shaped opening and still see parts of the stairs below.

G

You pretty much have to keep the ceiling over any steps and any raised goza mats open, because like in a real house you would hit your head on it if you tried to go upstairs with a ceiling in the way. For those L shaped stairs the best you can hope for is to only have an L shaped opening showing, you can put down a support beam where the crook of the stairs is (well that tile right next to them anyways), and that should hold up four more tiles of ceiling giving you an l shape. You can use the NW wood corners or the NW corners from the brown SE house tiles, they blend in pretty well with wood steps and are hardly noticeable.

Also you can put a small railing on the floor above the stairs, this helps to 'sell' that you have a landing versus a giant gaping hole. And it's what you would find in a real house anyways. =)

G

<blockquote><hr>

Told ya.

-Skylark

[/ QUOTE ]

That is awesome! I'm gonna have to steal it and upload it whenever I get my uploady software working again. Thank you!

G

Glad you like it...I have the sig file hosted on my photobucket account, so unless I suddenly get desperate to reclaim that whopping 25K of file space, it isn't going anywhere anytime soon, if ever, so if you want to use it, feel free to use the existing link until you get your uploady stuff back.

-Skylark

G

All you need to do to get rid of those 2 bottom steps in the corner of the L stairs is to delete the left half of the bottom part of the stairs. That will remove those 2 'anchor' stairs. Then just redu the stairs you just deleted.

G

Hey neato, it works. =) And I'm totally looking forward to having clean clothes.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Hey neato, it works. =) And I'm totally looking forward to having clean clothes.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...now I remember why even though I make a lot of them, I "hide sigs" on the forums.

-Skylark