• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Help please

F

Fayled Dhreams

Well Fran Fury ... should have brought some "re-mount info" to the topic then ... eh?

<blockquote><hr>

(op)Not sure why this didn't dawn on me earlier but I don't think it could be a keylogger because one of the accounts they changed the password too hasn't been open or logged into for about a year. I'm going to try the things everyone suggested. thanks a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

changing the password, on a "closed account" ... had to come from some where ... eh?
To open it ... would have required some more input ... aye?

as above ... having EA's email ... and securing thru nok's toolbar and following the account security FAQ (this forum sticky)
... and following the KB instructions ...

to get to the other specific op request (want them to be in trouble and wanted to know how to do it)
contact your local law enforcement types (yep ... in the linky of instructions)

Personally ... IF you go so far as to file a report (if you can, different topic) ... once filed ... FOLLOW THRU ...
If you Know you might NOT follow thru ... why bother ?

As for further "discussion" about how you might have gotten hacked op, sorry, need do that "off channel" with the experts that CAN check your system and proceedures ... don't want to be giving the little *soto voce* intruders .... any ideas .... kinda like discussing where you hide your spare keys ... "sharing" that type of info ...
could give them one more place to look.

G

"Guess Mcdonalds wont take their application b/c they have a record for hacking a game. I could see it now.

Manager: Well they seem nice kids but I cant hire them b/c they hacked a game on the net and that now effects their ability to flip burgers or mop a floor."

I think this is Bordoms point exactly. If you consider Mcdonalds a decent job or even a career, what is it that you do?

send those same kids into a firm after they finish college and see where their application is put.

G

You know what's sad is I am having trouble even enjoying playing uo now. I was going to vendors trying to buy what I can to get my characters back the way they were and I keep thinking what's they point if someone can just get back on and steal it all again. I see why people quit after this happens. I'm afraid to even log my people out at their houses. I've been leaving them all at the bank. And I keep checking my email over and over to make sure no one is changing my passwords again. If ea won't do anything to get your things back they should at least make it harder for people to do this to you so it don't keep happening.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL you have to be kidding me right?

I just used it as an example. I wasnt knocking anybody that works at any fast food restraunt. I used it as an example so plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

A burden to society is one that doesnt do anything for the society and its our job to make suse they are taken care of.

First off I have never worked in a fast food restraunt but ya know a job is a job. Better then living off the sytem right? Plus my best friends own 4 Mickey D's and his managers make great pay for this area per cost of living. I guess we all should be doctors, CEO's, lawyers and have no work force.

Your logic is flawed just as bordoms.

Hey if you want them working in a firm and hack your credit info or anything else that is valuable be my guest. A hack will always be a hack. When do people as a society start taking responsabilty for their own actions instead of excuses or second, third, fourth, 5th chances I think prozac started it that for our country.

Plus bordom my poltical views and on the war wasnt on topic. You used our federal money to get your pixels back but at what cost? No prosecution b/c the were kids that dont know better. Kids know more at their age when we did.

Christy I would make sure you have remote access turned off and dont visit any site your leary of. Becareful of junk email or emails you may get that are exactly like ebay or paypal for example. They want you to put your info in to verify its you b/c of some problem. If you get an email like that call the company itself to verify if their is any problem with your accounts if you use those.

G

They did, they introduced a 'security question' that you can add to your account.

But I can't find the information on how to do it!

C

Connor_Graham

If you're on Pac, send me a PM. I can help you out with getting your chars back in the game with whatever you might have lost.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If you're on Pac, send me a PM. I can help you out with getting your chars back in the game with whatever you might have lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play on chesapeake but that is very sweet of you to offer your help.

G

<blockquote><hr>

They did, they introduced a 'security question' that you can add to your account.

But I can't find the information on how to do it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I opened a new account and put in a secret question. Logged out then logged back in and I was able to change the password and the email address without being ask the question so I am not really sure what the question is for.

B

Belmarduk

The account saftey of EA is ridicoulos - A friends account got hacked and after EA couldnt even manage to get the account frozen - when they did the account was empty - he quit...
It had me thinking for a long time: Whats it worth playing if one day the account could just get hacked and everything lost you did in UO for years....

ake

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
be sure all your software is updated at the last release, OS, javavm, macromedia flash, the firewall, antivirus, antispyware... and so on.

and if u find who made this burn them slowly.

B

Bordoms

<blockquote><hr>

Plus bordom my poltical views and on the war wasnt on topic. You used our federal money to get your pixels back but at what cost? No prosecution b/c the were kids that dont know better. Kids know more at their age when we did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geeze, I was just going to let the topic die, but I don't like the accusations flying about what I "suposedly" did and feel justified in at the very least, defending my actions. I'm quite shocked that this thread has been allowed to continue - But, I'm all for freedom of speech, so let the hits land where they may.

Zosimus, It would take me an hour of typing to explain, in detail, exactly what transpired with my account as well as what action I took (and I'm a rather fast typist). Given that fact that you were not involved in the very least in this matter, you're not qualified to say what I wasted and what I did not. You're judgement calls along with those of a couple others are completely misconstrued.

What part of "hacked a PayPal Account to purchase my account" did some of you miss?

(1). Do you not think the owner of the PayPal account who had expenditures going off left and right didn't press charges?

(2). Do you not think that PayPal's Insurance carrier didn't DEMAND they press charges?

(3). Why would I press charges when all of my things were returned BEFORE I ever got a single call from the cyber-crime division of the FBI. The primary purpouse of their SECOND call to me was to make sure my issue had been resolved TO MY SATISFACTION - if not, I could consider pursuing the matter further. It was, so my part was finished (I find it easy to forgive when one makes an effort to correct any/all damage done - he did - I had nothing to continue with).

(4). I view a WASTE of tax payer dollars as the person who goes after someone out of pure revenge/spite. My family did not raise me to be that way. But, a Canadian friend of mine summed up the US Mentality for me many moons ago (and I quote): "In Canada, if you fall on someone's sidewalk, you apologize to them for getting blood on it. In the US, you sue them and take everything they own."

(5). My little part in this - Filing a complaint online that took roughly three minutes to read as little more than "one more victim" - may have cost tax payers pennies at best - I spent far more than that in paper, time and postage (MOST OF WHICH WENT TO EA GAMES WHO REFUSED TO HELP IN THE BEGINNING, IN fact, EA Games didn't get involved until AFTER I filed online). So if you want to really break it down to who wasted tax payers dollars, look no further than PAYPAL and EA Games in this issue - both said the other was responsible to get my account back - both sat on their butts until the wheel got squeeky. In fact, myself and one other person had most of it handeled on our own - thankfully, he put his telephone number in the EBay feedback so anyone else who had problems could "centralize."

But, like I said, it would take an hour to explain every little detail. I hit the high points of why I did not seek prosecution. Judge as you may, no one has that right unless they've walked in that persons shoes (an impossible feat).

Regardless, one doesn't have to be a genious to know that those kids are marked REGARDLESS of whether or not ANYONE pressed charges, and one would have to be a fool not to realize that.

I'm not a saint by any means. It's taken me years to learn what is important and what isn't. I'l continue to be the one who apologies for getting blood on someone's sidewalk when I trip over my own feet. It's better than the alternative.