• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] Help me understand interruption please.

D

damooster

I'm returning to the game and I'm trying to understand spell interruption. Here's what I think happens; please tell me if I'm wrong!

1. If you are hit with a melee attack, you automatically get interrupted. Only way to prevent this is to have a melee skill i.e. Wrestling, or a mage weapon that uses your Magery skill as a defensive check.

2. Resist only affects non-direct damage spells like clumsy, weaken, and poison. If you get hit with a damage spell, like Energy Bolt, you will get interrupted.

Is this accurate? Anything else I can do to stop spell interruption along with a melee skill/mage weapon and high resist?

Thanks.

5% Luck

Well 1st thing is if you increase your casting speed you are less likly to be interupted:faster casting. This caps at +2. Faster cast recovery helps as well but not with the interupt and more with being able to cast the next spell quicker. This capps at +6 FCR.

Next the actual spell you chose makes a diferance as well. If you chose a longer spell this increases the chance of a interuption. Capping FC/FCR and casting shorter faster spells makes casting much easier.

Lets say you went to a highly mobed area with lots of casters. When you have so many casters attacking you you have quite near zero chance to cast un interupted. Some times it gets so bad you are being hit with multible spells simaltaniously. This is where the spell "protection" comes into play. Protection once cast is permantly attached to the char un till it is cast again. You can use the buff bar to look up weather you have it currently on or off(blue gem on status page). This spell makes it so you are never interupted while casting. It comes with a price. It lowers physical resist by 25(20 if gm inscription) and magic resist skill by 35(30 if gm inscription) AND sets the faster casting cap to 0.

Some player put on protection and never togle it off again. This to me is a good way to start but once your a little more secure in your macros and know the situation well taking protection down now and again is an excellent way to increase your damage, Thats is saying you have enough faster casting items equiped to make a diferance. Also note some items have a -1 FC and must be countered with a further +1 FC to negate the effect of any peniltys to your csting speed.

As for PvP haveing your casting speed at cap is very important and I wouldnt advise playing a mage in PvP unless you plan on playing with no protection cast and enough items to be 2/6 FC/FCR.

Good Luck!

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You haven't really said what type of character you are playing... are you building a PvP mage, or a PvM mage?

PvP, no protect and wrestling should be very handy for disarms. I don't run my mages as PvP mages but I'm sure that folks with experience there can give you background for that fighting style.

PvM, I would say use protection if you are going up against any higher level critters. Here's why... if the critters are casters and you are dealing with more than one, you're gonna get interrupted a lot. If the critters are "fast movers" like Hiryu, then their fast/special attacks will be disrupting you a lot.

Even low level critters like impies and hell-hounds will mess up your cast while you're trying to take down a paragon deamon. I've experimented with dropping protection and find that unless I'm fighing something very slow that doesn't cast... I just get interrupted too much. Honestly, you can compensate for the FC penalty and you're not penalized for FCR... so in the end... here's what to consider.

Do you want to be able to cast "a little bit faster" or do you want to be able to cast a heal spell and save your skinny arse if you get pounded... When a paragon deamon is pounding on you and casting, then a little impie shows up and disrupts your heal, you're gonna wish you had protection on.

There are penalties to your physical resist and resisting spells so build your armor and character to deal with that. Some folks don't feel that resisting spells is all that important anyway. You can always build an armor suit to make up for the physical penalty.

There are a couple really good FAQ's at the top of this forum that go into great detail on different magery templates.

Safe Travels, Sam

5% Luck

How does having 120 wrestling and 80 anat effect interuption?
120 wrestling will stop you from being interrupted by melle attacks only. Anatomy + eval is supposed to work but all my tests on test center proved wrestling is alot better. The same thing applys for all melle skills 120v120 is 50% hit/miss thenn add in dci/hci and parry.

BUT, A spell will always interrupt you.

Now if you have the room for tactics(90) I belive you will need it for wrestling special moves but This i didnt test soo.....

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...Now if you have the room for tactics(90) I belive you will need it for wrestling special moves but This i didnt test soo.....
Definetly don't need Tactics to perform Disarm via Wrestling... can't remember if Paralyze required it but I don't think so.

Safe Travels, Sam

G

GFY

You need some sort of defensive skill to avoid taking damage from your opponent's every swing. A weapon skill, wrestling, mage weapons, or a total of 200 points in anatomy and eval. Wrestling allows you the use of the 2 wrestling specials without the need for tactics. Disarm is a very useful special against dexxers.

Now if your going up against anything that cast spells these will interrupt your spells every time. You need to cast faster spells then are being cast against you, or cast protection to prevent your spells from being interrupted. Protection will lower your faster casting skill to 0 and lower your physical resist as well. If you cast protection, cast reactive armor as well. This will take 5 points from every elemental resist to replace the -20 physical resist from protection.