• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Help a newbie with a Mage/Mystic build? :)

S

SpidaFly

Brand new to the game, and Mage/Mystic looks pretty exciting, but I don't really know how to set it up.

So far it looks like Magery and Eval Int go hand and hand... and meditation is a must, correct? Then Mysticism looks like it's powered off imbuing and focus (??)...

I'd like to have some sort of trade skill so that I can make some extra money since it's my first toon, but i'd like it to be satisfyingly strong in PVE. Can anyone help me out with organizing a template?

Thanks!

Edit: Oh yeah. And is there a mysticism trainer in Haven?

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are a few mystic templates that have little or no meditation because focus affords mana regeneration benefits, though not as great as meditation.

Focus (or imbuing) is to Mysticism as Eval Int is to Magery but as focus also gives you stamina and mana regen and imbuing does not, most people go with focus route. If you want a crafter its better to have a dedicated crafting character. However, for PvE it really doesn't matter because you can make just about anything work. Here are some common templates:

(good suit with mr, hpi, sdi, mage weapon, etc)

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Mysticism
120 Focus
120 Meditation

or be more creative:

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Mysticism
100 Focus (then +20 from crystalline ring for 120 total)
100 Inscription
40 Meditation

or add in a very nice skill like spellweaving:

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Mysticism
120 Focus
120 Spellweaving

If you really want you can forgo resist but I enjoy resist in my templates, even in PvM and if you ever venture to fel you really do need resist spells in your template.

These are just starter ideas, try things out and tailor your template to what works best for you.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I run with a gargoyle
myst
focus
magery
eval
resist spell
spell weaving
and the rest in med

S

SpidaFly

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Mysticism
100 Focus (then +20 from crystalline ring for 120 total)
100 Inscription
40 Meditation
Hmm, I really like that. Since inscription helps both magery AND mysticism. And the defensive benefit from resist too.

I think I might go for that! Thanks!!

PS... I have to train Mysticism in the gargoyle land right? How does one get there >,<

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PS... I have to train Mysticism in the gargoyle land right? How does one get there >,<
Assuming you upgraded to SA, go to your local moongate and select the bottom option for Ter Mur --> Royal City. It is just above the gate.

S

SpidaFly

Assuming you upgraded to SA, go to your local moongate and select the bottom option for Ter Mur --> Royal City. It is just above the gate.
Ahh, ok. I'm still trial. That's why I didn't see Ter Mur there. Thanks :)

.... and uh, I'm trying to activate my account and get the code for stygian abyss and it won't let me get it from the store?? What the...

IT says:
ERROR: You cannot make a store purchase because the account you logged in with is too new. Accounts must be older than 30 days in order to purchase anything other than an account creation code or Game Time.
... so what's the point of having a "new account stygian abyss" code if you can't even buy it with a new account?
My wife has an older account, is it possible for her to buy the "new account stygian abyss" code and me apply it to my account?

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh, ok. I'm still trial. That's why I didn't see Ter Mur there. Thanks :)

.... and uh, I'm trying to activate my account and get the code for stygian abyss and it won't let me get it from the store?? What the...

IT says:

... so what's the point of having a "new account stygian abyss" code if you can't even buy it with a new account?
My wife has an older account, is it possible for her to buy the "new account stygian abyss" code and me apply it to my account?
You are able to buy codes for different accounts with that older account. I have no idea if it will apply to your "new" account though unfortunately. It might make you get out of trial mode.

S

SpidaFly

Hm. Got it sorted, called customer service.

Now I'm looking at Mysticism and thinking that it looks just like Magery and I'm not sure what I was thinking. Haha damn being a noob.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You might try buying the codes from the EA store. They sometimes hold sales and such that gamecodes don't give, plus they don't ask you for your UO account info. The good part about the three templates listed is that with soulstones you could very easily switch between all three.

There isn't a mystic trainer in New Haven, so you will either need to start with 50 or buy it from the trainer in Tel Mur.