• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Help a complete noob out?

skiter

Visitor
Hello, I played UO in 2000-2003 I loved it then. I always come back and try to play but get swept away. I have been playing again for awhile and really liking it again. I am a complete noob though I only play my tamer and am pretty bad at it. I kill Miasma and cant even open the chest because I don't have a lock picker.

I want to make either a sampire or an ABC archer but really don't know where to start. Now before people get grumpy with me that there are a million threads on these 2...yes there are but everyone I read people argue about whats best (for good reason I understand).

I am not a power player and cant raise the skills in a day or a week like im sure most of you can, so can someone layout what I'd need skill wise so I can work on that. (120 sword 120 tactics etc).

Which would be easier for someone who has been gone so long and is unskilled ABC archer or sampire?

My main goal is to make money and have fun.... it seems like everything cost a billion gold and I just can't get enough money to buy anything.

Sorry for needing my handheld on where to start up again.

Thanks in advance.

skiter

Visitor
I read your post Lord GOD and learned what VvV was... still kinda unsure what to do but I'll figure it out thanks again guys.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
If there are terms you hear that you don't know what they are go to Google and search for "uoguide VvV" chances are there's a page for it.

Plan the template.
Plan the suit.

Even if you can't build it yet, it will save you a lot of time and money to have the end goals in mind, and prevent you from getting overwhelmed by item properties that are of negligible benefit on that template (like eaters/regens).

An ABC should have 120 Archery, 120 Bushido, 120 Chivalry. The rest varries depending on how you want to play the character, how you want to heal.

A sampire should have 120 weapon skill, 100 Necromancy, 120 Bushido. The rest can vary.

Some kind of sampire will be your best bet to get back into the game as they are good for 95% of the games content.

The zero sampire thread explains nuances like what armour to build and what item properties to cap.

If you don't have a crafter I suggest building it in tandem with your sampire.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Dude you can raise the skills as fast as anyone else if you know the right spot to go sit at! You just need the necessary equipment (poison damage wep, shields for training parry, lockpick boxes, etc)

... and another screen to watch Netflix on YouTube on

VvV is the new factions, you get points doing faction activities which is generally pvp, but I think you get a few free points when you sign up. You use those points to buy faction arties, which are more powerful versions of the artifacts you may need to build your suit up.

Sampire is a very good suggestion, as they are able to do most of the end game content. However I'm not sure if end game content is really what you're after. It's probably cheaper to build a suit for a mid-level content archer than a samp, but on the other hand for a recently returned (flat broke) player, the cost of arrows can add up very quickly.

I like archers a lot, so I'm biased, but you should make a decision there first and then you'll find yourself getting a lot of very specific help on what to do next. Either way you should train a crafter, at least imbuing, along with your new guy. You'll be able to make use of all the crap you find fighting easy mobs by unraveling. And if you dont like the idea of hammering a ton of ingots or stitching a bunch of hides, you can always bug a friend or some bank-sitter/crafter and have them make blank weps/armor for you.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You might not like this advice at all, but here it is anyways :)
Make a lockpicker. (i usually soulstone lockpicking over to my tamer, when i do maisma)
Fix you're tamer so you can do roof with friends.
Wait till you get a good drop from roof.
Sell the drop(s) and buy a suit+weapons+scrolls.
When you're friends aient around to do roof with you, kill maisma, open chests sell map.
And no you don't need 120 bushido on an ABC archer, only reason to pick up bushido on an archer is to reach 200 combat points, you could just as well make an ANC archer (Archery, ninja, chiv)
And no again you don't need 120 chiv on a ABC archer either, honor and slayer and u are way over the damage cap. EOO+honor without a slayer also makes u reach the cap without 120 in either bush and chiv.
I have 2 archers one scrolled to 120 in everything, and when i honor+EOO and have a dragon slayer vs rikkitor i do around 192 to 240 damage with AI.
On my other archer with mace (yes i made one for the luls) he has 120 archery, 100 tact, 100 ana, and 100 chiv i do 192 to 212 damage pr AI.
As you can see there really issn't much difference.
I do all spawns in fel, and i have only scrolled 2 skills to 120 on my samp, and that is weapon skill and resisting spells, so no you don't need 120 bush on a sampire.

I have a full crafter, and i use him to craft and sell complete suits to people, and of cause craft stuff for my own weird templates, that's something i enjoy doing, so unless its something u would enjoy too, then don't do it.
Its not a fun game experience to bang out 300000 iron items and just melt them down, to finally reach 120 smith fx, same goes for tailoring and all the other crafting skills.

Just my 2 cents.